Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Bleacher Report's Matt Millers full 7-round Mock draft 2/3/14

Hello everyone, just saw an article on bleacher report about a full 7 round mock draft and just thought id like to share with the forum and receiver feedback thoughts and opinions. here is who Matt Miller has us taking this year. This mock does not include any trades.

Round 2- : WR Davante Adams, Fresno State

Round 3- : OG Gabe Jackson, Mississippi State

Round 5- : DE Deandre Coleman, California

Round 6- : SS Isaiah Lewis, Michigan State

Round 7-   RB Tyler Gaffney, Stanford

Dont want Gaffney

If Jackson gets passed up through almost 3 rounds I would be very surprised, I like Davante Adams, I love Lewis's athleticism and speed and ability to blitz and stop the run, Not sure I like him in coverage nearly as much, sometimes does not get his head turned around on a ball thrown at his man, Dives at feet some trying to make an ankle tackle (That drives me nuts)

The only problems I have with this is I do not think Jackson will fall to the 3rd,  My ideal would be Jarvis Landry/ Davante Adams/ Kelvin Benjamin/ Jordan Matthews in the 2nd at WR, if this is not obtainable, I extremely like chris Borland/ Yawin Smallwood at ILB to pair with Jerrell Freeman. In the 3rd, if we can any one of these names with our 2nd and 3rd round picks that would be great, but like you all said I really like Baptiste in the 3rd if obtainable. Think he would be a great addition on our defense and has the talent/skill set/potiential to really be a stud in the NFL. But whatever happens in Free agency usually affects the draft so we'll see what free agency brings and what Mr. Grigson decides to do. Big Off-season for The colts and GM Ryan Grigson. Fully support what they do so bring on FA and The draft! GO COLTS

I like Adams a lot, as well as Matt's entire mock.  

Not bad.

Who is your favorite prospects at the WR, ILB, CB, O-LINE an any other position you think we need with our 2nd and 3rd round picks? Can you explain why and make it realistic with our pick? Thank You, just interested in seeing what others say. Relatively new at studying college football and the draft. Always welcome opinions on players. Thanks again.

Who is your favorite prospects at the WR, ILB, CB, O-LINE an any other position you think we need with our 2nd and 3rd round picks? Can you explain why and make it realistic with our pick? Thank You, just interested in seeing what others say. Relatively new at studying college football and the draft. Always welcome opinions on players. Thanks again.

My favorite prospect at WR (that's realistic for us) is Donte Moncrief from Ole Miss. He's a big, physical receiver who can beat press coverage and excels at making contested catches. He reminds me of a quicker Anquan Boldin. Jarvis Landry is another guy I like. He's not the biggest guy at about 6'1", but he good at getting YAC and has good hands. He kind of reminds me of Golden Tate. 

For ILB, the only guy who I would realistically take at our 2nd rounder is Yawin Smallwood from UCONN. He has great play recognition and is a guy who doesn't get beat in coverage that often. He brings a pretty good presence  in the pass rush as well. He's pretty prototypical size for a 34 ILB at about 6'3" 240 lbs (tho I expect him to add some weight in the NFL). Another guy worth looking at for our 3rd rounder is Shane Skov. He's not the fleetest of foot (so don't expect him to be good in coverage) but he's a great run defender and the kind of thumper we need to put next to Freeman. Like Smallwood, he's pretty solid in pass rushing as well. 

I haven't really looked at many CBs or Olineman so I don't think I can help you there. Hope this is a good start.

My favorite prospect at WR (that's realistic for us) is Donte Moncrief from Ole Miss. He's a big, physical receiver who can beat press coverage and excels at making contested catches. He reminds me of a quicker Anquan Boldin. Jarvis Landry is another guy I like. He's not the biggest guy at about 6'1", but he good at getting YAC and has good hands. He kind of reminds me of Golden Tate. 

For ILB, the only guy who I would realistically take at our 2nd rounder is Yawin Smallwood from UCONN. He has great play recognition and is a guy who doesn't get beat in coverage that often. He brings a pretty good presence  in the pass rush as well. He's pretty prototypical size for a 34 ILB at about 6'3" 240 lbs (tho I expect him to add some weight in the NFL). Another guy worth looking at for our 3rd rounder is Shane Skov. He's not the fleetest of foot (so don't expect him to be good in coverage) but he's a great run defender and the kind of thumper we need to put next to Freeman. Like Smallwood, he's pretty solid in pass rushing as well. 

I haven't really looked at many CBs or Olineman so I don't think I can help you there. Hope this is a good start.

Thank you, greatly appreciate it.

Whys that? I mean Im not sold on him at all either but why arent you?

He trails in coverage practically every time the ball goes his way. He's decent in the box, but not consistent in his angles or tackling. There are a couple other safeties at that spot I'd rather have, and there's a hundred other players at other positions I'd rather have. 

I've seen lots of mocks online with WR at 58 for the Colts, and I think it would be a huge mistake with what likely will happen at FS, ILB, G, C, NT...  And what if neither Davis or Bethea is signed, and or Toler is cut?  The secondary and ILB I think will be the focus early.

This is a relatively deep WR draft, and I hope the Colts don't go that way, that early.  Players like Norwood from Alabama, Hoffman from BYU, and Washington from Missouri will be available later.  But this gets to the other side to this story, which is of all the positions on the Colts Roster, WR might be the most stable.  Wayne, TY, Rogers, Whalen, and Brazill are all under contract for 2014.  Wayne's injury, and backend production notwithstanding, I think the Colts will go D early and often in this draft, with so few picks, and so many needs on that side of the ball.

I've seen lots of mocks online with WR at 58 for the Colts, and I think it would be a huge mistake with what likely will happen at FS, ILB, G, C, NT...  And what if neither Davis or Bethea is signed, and or Toler is cut?  The secondary and ILB I think will be the focus early.

This is a relatively deep WR draft, and I hope the Colts don't go that way, that early.  Players like Norwood from Alabama, Hoffman from BYU, and Washington from Missouri will be available later.  But this gets to the other side to this story, which is of all the positions on the Colts Roster, WR might be the most stable.  Wayne, TY, Rogers, Whalen, and Brazill are all under contract for 2014.  Wayne's injury, and backend production notwithstanding, I think the Colts will go D early and often in this draft, with so few picks, and so many needs on that side of the ball.

Agree to a certain extent. Since this WR class is deep and talented, I would like us to take advantage of it in the 2nd or 3rd. But whatever pick we use it on, we better get a defensive player with the other. later picks could be BPA or whoever but right now im just talking about our 2nd/3rd. Do you see what I am saying?

I don't agree with drafting a WR let alone any offensive player with our 1st two picks. I think the offense will be fine but we need more play makers on defense. With the exception of OLB we could use upgrades at every position, BPA on defense is what we should draft.

Any prospects you like on defense available realistically with our pick? name a couple. Thank You. appreciate the feedback

2nd round prospects 

Keith Mcgill, CB, Utah

Yawin Smallwood, ILB, Connecticut

Daquan Jones, DE, Penn State

Christian Jones, ILB, Florida State

Kyle Fuller, CB, Virginia Tech

3rd round prospects 

Daniel McCullers, NT, Tennessee

Kelcy Quarles, DE, South Carolina

E.J Gaines, CB, Missouri 

Any prospects you like on defense available realistically with our pick? name a couple. Thank You. appreciate the feedback

Yeah I agree, I like the idea of waiting until the end of the draft to go for a WR. Really our needs are more plentiful on the defensive side of the ball. On offense the only thing that really needs immediate attention is the O-line. 

Also instead of Gabe Jackson in the 3rd at OG I think Dakota Dozier would be more likely. He was an OT in college at Furman but he played G at the shrine game and looked really impressive. He's about 6-4 and 312 lbs so he's got good size for a G. I would like picking him up in the 3rd. Right now I like either C. Jones or Smallwood in the 2nd. 

Agree to a certain extent. Since this WR class is deep and talented, I would like us to take advantage of it in the 2nd or 3rd. But whatever pick we use it on, we better get a defensive player with the other. later picks could be BPA or whoever but right now im just talking about our 2nd/3rd. Do you see what I am saying?

I do see what you're saying.  I just see it the opposite way.  That depth in this draft means there is no immediacy required.  Depth means the separation between the 10th WR taken and the 29th might be minimal.  So why take one with marginally better skills higher than needed?  When the alternative is passing on the best C in the draft, or second best FS, or second best ILB, etc. 

I suppose the critical question to me is why is WR a priority?  Wayne's replacement?  If that's the reason, the Colts are very unlikely to get that at 58 or 90.  The Waynes, Harrisons, etc. come in the first round.  They just do.  Can they be found later?  Of course.  It's just harder.  For depth?  The Colts aren't good enough for that yet, in my opinion.  If it's BPA period (I am a firm believer and supporter of that approach), it's a different conversation.  If the clear best player available at 58 or 90 is a WR, great, I can't argue, wouldn't complain.

One thing I will say I like about Christian Jones is his versatility, I dont think he is the best at anything, He does have a quick first step, Not elite by any means but pretty quick, He flashes a spin move but he needs to build strength, Drops back in coverage well, gets

deep. The area I am not sold on him stems from him not being much of a thumper...even getting dragged on some instances

To me, it depends on who the receiver is. If there's a guy with big time potential there, I'd be fine with us drafting him. After how terrible our pass game and offense was for so long after Reggie got hurt, I think we need an upgrade. Guys like Whalen and Brazill are easy to root for, but they can't replace the production from either of our top 2. And Rogers is promising, but still a question mark. I'd gladly part with Whalen or Brazill in favor of someone like Jordan Matthews. 

I agree with you that there are plenty of good WRs in later rounds. I really like Hoffman. So I'm not pining for a WR early, but I do think it would be a mistake to consider our WR corps as set in any way. What if Reggie isn't 100%, or if TY missed a week or a month? And when do we start planning for the post-Reggie era? I don't think a true #1 is on our roster right now, unless you're ready to ride the Da'Rick Rogers wagon. I'm not comfortable with that.

I also think we have the ability to bolster our roster at ILB, DL, S and OL in free agency, and expect us to do so one way or another. Having projected starters across the board will make it easier to stay true to a BPA approach in the draft, as much as such an approach proves reasonable.

To me, it depends on who the receiver is. If there's a guy with big time potential there, I'd be fine with us drafting him. After how terrible our pass game and offense was for so long after Reggie got hurt, I think we need an upgrade. Guys like Whalen and Brazill are easy to root for, but they can't replace the production from either of our top 2. And Rogers is promising, but still a question mark. I'd gladly part with Whalen or Brazill in favor of someone like Jordan Matthews. 

I agree with you that there are plenty of good WRs in later rounds. I really like Hoffman. So I'm not pining for a WR early, but I do think it would be a mistake to consider our WR corps as set in any way. What if Reggie isn't 100%, or if TY missed a week or a month? And when do we start planning for the post-Reggie era? I don't think a true #1 is on our roster right now, unless you're ready to ride the Da'Rick Rogers wagon. I'm not comfortable with that.

I also think we have the ability to bolster our roster at ILB, DL, S and OL in free agency, and expect us to do so one way or another. Having projected starters across the board will make it easier to stay true to a BPA approach in the draft, as much as such an approach proves reasonable.

Agreed.  The luxury the Colts have is ILB, G, and C are generally cheap draft picks and plentiful in later rounds, and cheap free agents (comparatively).  And perhaps most importantly, looking at the many mocks, making personal assessments even, there is a chance the value at S, CB, ILB, DE, and DT might not be near enough to use the 58th or 90th on those positions, leaving more "skill" position players as the likely selection.  I too would like more depth at WR, I think it can be found later in this draft.

I also agree that there is still a lot to improve on both sides of the ball, so like the last two drafts, there is very little Grigs can do which would make us all scratch our heads.  QB and RB I think would be the only two positions which could cause a riot at pick 58.  And RB isn't because of production, but due to the investment already there...  

Lastly, your point about free agency is the most critical.  The path will be made far more clear soon enough. 

I' m going to get trade happy because there are some players I really like.  I know it is unrealistic.  Just Imagine.

Trade Future 1 for a 2

Trade Fut 2 + this years 3 for another 2

trade future 3 for a 4.

2.  Jimmie Ward FS

2.  Stanley Jean-Baptiste CB

2.  Chris Borland  ILB

4.  Ben Gardner DE

5.  Alden Darby SS

7.  Spencer Long OG

FA  -  Vontae Davis

Randy Starks

Paul Soliai

Davis                Redding      Soliai          Starks           Jean-Baptise

(Butler)            (Gardner)   (Chapman) (Hughes)        (Toler)

Mathis            Borland           Freeman        Walden   

(Werner)

Landry               Ward

(Darby)     

Dont liek Ward much....especially in the 2nd, Rather have Darby later, Rather get Dion Bailey with one of our second round picks in your scenario and not Darby in the 5th anyway, what are you doing about our interior O Line other then a late 7th rounder

I think some of you guys are under-rating some great prospects at the WR, ILB, CB, and O-Line. Personally I think Matthews out of Vanderbilt is a stud. I think Da'Rick Rodgers is a playmaker, but if Matthews falls to us in the 2nd round, we have to take him. That's the only WR we should take in the second.

I saw one person mention him, but I think Shayne Skov from Stanford is worthy of a 2nd round pick. Not only is he instinctive, but he's a born leader. That is what we'll need down the line. A field general in the middle of the field like the Panthers have with Keuchly. I'd take him over Smallwood honestly.

The most important position after that is DT. I'm not sure how we have a 3-4 but don't have a true DT to make it work. I've seen Daquan Jones and DeAndre Coleman mocked to us. Both would be good fits. I also agree about Baptiste. But we would have to build our secondary like the Seahawks then, and surround him with other "big" physical corners. We can keep Davis since he's good, but we'd need a physical safety to match. But that's where the issue of not having a 4th round pick comes in. We can't get marquee players at all of our positions of need in the 2nd or 3rd round. I'd rather take a DT and ILB who can immediately help against the run, rather than get a Safety and CB early.

Dont liek Ward much....especially in the 2nd, Rather have Darby later, Rather get Dion Bailey with one of our second round picks in your scenario and not Darby in the 5th anyway, what are you doing about our interior O Line other then a late 7th rounder

Hey Gavin, I'm curious what has you down on Jimmie Ward?  I thought he was rising after showing top cover skills in postseason practices.    I

Curtis Youngblood,

I like DaQuan Jones too.  He could make a difference on the nose.  Posters have also been speaking highly of Justin Ellis.  He is huge, but he has top notch speed and he might be a better fit at DE.    I go back and forth on the DL.  Chapman and Francois are not the weakest link, but a powerful DL could cure a lot of ills.

Redding     Jones           Ellis

(Gardner)   (Chapman)  (Hughes)

I love guys like Skov, but taking a MLB high makes me uneasy.   I think most agree our first two picks should be defensive starters, but if your going to build the monster, do you take big uglies over some more sexy picks?

Mathews at WR has been getting a lot of attention from posters.  What do you guys think of Jarvis Landry?  Where would you be willing to take him?  It is bad that we have holes everywhere, but we should easily get two good starters out of this draft.  If we take Mathews or Landry, I'd be good with it.  NorCalColt is right about OC, OG, and ILB being cheaper positions to fill.  Defense has been getting a lot of attention after the Superbowl, but if you pumped insane money into your OL, I'm betting you could score on anybody.

I think some of you guys are under-rating some great prospects at the WR, ILB, CB, and O-Line. Personally I think Matthews out of Vanderbilt is a stud. I think Da'Rick Rodgers is a playmaker, but if Matthews falls to us in the 2nd round, we have to take him. That's the only WR we should take in the second.

I saw one person mention him, but I think Shayne Skov from Stanford is worthy of a 2nd round pick. Not only is he instinctive, but he's a born leader. That is what we'll need down the line. A field general in the middle of the field like the Panthers have with Keuchly. I'd take him over Smallwood honestly.

The most important position after that is DT. I'm not sure how we have a 3-4 but don't have a true DT to make it work. I've seen Daquan Jones and DeAndre Coleman mocked to us. Both would be good fits. I also agree about Baptiste. But we would have to build our secondary like the Seahawks then, and surround him with other "big" physical corners. We can keep Davis since he's good, but we'd need a physical safety to match. But that's where the issue of not having a 4th round pick comes in. We can't get marquee players at all of our positions of need in the 2nd or 3rd round. I'd rather take a DT and ILB who can immediately help against the run, rather than get a Safety and CB early.

Skov is frequently mentioned as a draft possibility ... I am not a big fan personally; the reason he won't be like Kuechly is because I do not believe he has Kuechly's coverage ability.  IMO Skov will be a liability in coverage, I think if we are determined to take a ILB 2-3 I would rather have Smallwood or Jones.