Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Andrew Luck is the best QB in the NFL?

bap1331

A well observed grammatical pickup for someone incapable of taking on board basic concepts of an argument without making the exact same points over and over.

Good luck with you silly internet trolling. Hope you have fun.

I think this guy has a crush on me or something.....

• Replies 293
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A well observed grammatical pickup for someone incapable of taking on board basic concepts of an argument without making the exact same points over and over.

Good luck with you silly internet trolling. Hope you have fun.

Oh. It's more of a vocabulary thing than it was grammar.

He also is not as good as Brady at reading a defense and getting the ball out of his hands quickly

well of course not luck only been in league 2 years bradys been here how many oh yeah to long for my liking  :D players get better as get older as we all no

well of course not luck only been in league 2 years bradys been here how many oh yeah to long for my liking  :D players get better as get older as we all no

Yes, I expect Luck to continue to improve in every area and be a top QB for many years. But the convo here was comparing Luck and Brady right now which is why I commented.

Dustin, every anti Patriot post you write makes me chuckle. Such hatred... Man, how you it's have struggled to sleep in January.

Brady in his 2nd season won a SB.

Brady in his 3rd season led the NFL in TDs.

Luck just throws playoff INTs like it's no one's business. He has a bright future, but god, he needs to learn to handle playoff pressure.

Wilson, Ryan and Luck.

Matt Ryan couldn't even get his team anywhere near the playoffs, and Russell Wilson is the most overrated qb in the nfl. He's average at best. Who wouldn't be able to win the Super Bowl with the best defense in years and marshawn lynch in the backfield? He's just another Trent Dilfer

Matt Ryan couldn't even get his team anywhere near the playoffs, and Russell Wilson is the most overrated qb in the nfl. He's average at best. Who wouldn't be able to win the Super Bowl with the best defense in years and marshawn lynch in the backfield? He's just another Trent Dilfer

Take a look at Trent Dilfer's career stats, his stats during his Super Bowl year, and his stats in the Super Bowl itself. Then compare them to Russell Wilson's stats in all of the above. Then hit yourself in the head for making such a knuckleheaded statement and vow to do better in the future.

And Peyton Manning leading the most prolific offense of all time got blasted by a team led by that overrated second year QB. Not only did Seattle's defense spank Denver, Seattle's offense had their way with them with very little input by Lynch.

The Seahawks found a gem when they drafted Wilson. I'll bet they are a contending team every year with Wilson leading them.

He also is not as good as Brady at reading a defense and getting the ball out of his hands quickly.

Well he Brady was pressured a lot less and sacked a lot more, so he obviously was not as good at reading defenses and getting the ball out quickly as you claim

Perhaps some day you will acknowledge the fact that he either regressed last season, or had a down year, and let's not blame the rest of the team, because the exact same factors (and more) could be applied to Luck.

I don't think Luck is at Brady's level yet, but he may well be in a season or two.

I think Russell Wilson is the most underrated QB in the NFL. I think there are two reasons for that. One is his height and the second is just jealousy.

The primary reason he's underrated is because these days many people's basis for rating quarterbacks comes from playing fantasy football where a QB who throws for 300 yards is more valuable than one who throws for 200 yards regardless of the comparative efficiency of the two in getting to those numbers. They also may not appreciate the concept of a balanced offense featuring a power running attack in today's pass-happy NFL and think that passing the ball only 25 times a game must be due to limitations in the QB rather than by design. By that way of thinking, HOF QBs like Bart Starr, Bob Griese, and Troy Aikman were all game managers who were carried by their running attack and defenses.

I've heard the Wilson = Dilfer comparison before and I guess the "thinking" (and I use that term loosely) goes something like this: Trent Dilfer was a mediocre quarterback who won a Super Bowl with a team with a great defense. Russell Wilson also won a Super Bowl with a team with a great defense therefore he must also be a mediocre quarterback. Of course that's a logical fallacy since one statement doesn't lead to another. You can't deduce the quality of the quarterback simply by the fact that he plays on a team with a great defense and even a cursory glance at the stats of Wilson and Dilfer illustrates the fallacy of the attempted comparison. Anyone attempting to make that argument either does not have the slightest clue how to judge quarterback play in the NFL or has an agenda to discredit Russell Wilson. In this case I suspect its a little of both but primarily the latter.

The primary reason he's underrated is because these days many people's basis for rating quarterbacks comes from playing fantasy football where a QB who throws for 300 yards is more valuable than one who throws for 200 yards regardless of the comparative efficiency of the two in getting to those numbers. They also may not appreciate the concept of a balanced offense featuring a power running attack in today's pass-happy NFL and think that passing the ball only 25 times a game must be due to limitations in the QB rather than by design. By that way of thinking, HOF QBs like Bart Starr, Bob Griese, and Troy Aikman were all game managers who were carried by their running attack and defenses.

I've heard the Wilson = Dilfer comparison before and I guess the "thinking" (and I use that term loosely) goes something like this: Trent Dilfer was a mediocre quarterback who won a Super Bowl with a team with a great defense. Russell Wilson also won a Super Bowl with a team with a great defense therefore he must also be a mediocre quarterback. Of course that's a logical fallacy since one statement doesn't lead to another. You can't deduce the quality of the quarterback simply by the fact that he plays on a team with a great defense and even a cursory glance at the stats of Wilson and Dilfer illustrates the fallacy of the attempted comparison. Anyone attempting to make that argument either does not have the slightest clue how to judge quarterback play in the NFL or has an agenda to discredit Russell Wilson. In this case I suspect its a little of both but primarily the latter.

Russell Wilson carries less burden then most other qbs in the league. He has arguably the best defense the league has seen in decades along with a top rushing attack. He had the fewest pass attempts of any 16 game starter.

The reason so many people prefer Luck is because he's had to carry a lot more responsibility for his teams success. Colts haven't had a particularly good defense, the running game is still largely ineffective, yet they win.

Russell Wilson is a very good player, but I'm not convinced that half the qbs in the league wouldn't find success on that squad. I don't think that holds true for the Colts.

Russell Wilson carries less burden then most other qbs in the league. He has arguably the best defense the league has seen in decades along with a top rushing attack. He had the fewest pass attempts of any 16 game starter.

The reason so many people prefer Luck is because he's had to carry a lot more responsibility for his teams success. Colts haven't had a particularly good defense, the running game is still largely ineffective, yet they win.

Russell Wilson is a very good player, but I'm not convinced that half the qbs in the league wouldn't find success on that squad. I don't think that holds true for the Colts.

Sorry, but the claim that Russell Wilson carried less burden than most quarterbacks is also easily discredited. He had the burden of playing QB for a team expected to compete for a Super Bowl berth while playing in the toughest division in the NFL where even one more loss would have dropped the Seahawks to the Wild Card and three road games to get to the Super Bowl. He was also the most pressured QB in the league playing behind an OL decimated by injuries and without two of his top receivers (Harvin and Rice) for most of the season.

On the contrary, Wilson carried a remarkably heavy burden for a second-year quarterback and I doubt more than a small handful of QBs could have been as successful under the circumstances. Many people have no idea how bad the Seahawks' pass protection was most of the year, how many good defenses they faced featuring elite pass rushers, and how much difficulty his receivers had in gaining separation at times against quality secondaries, yet he still threw for 26 TDs, only 9 INTs, and had a quarterback rating of over 100.0. His coolness under pressure, accuracy, decision making, and ability to improvise and buy time are the reasons for his success despite being frequently under assault.

Half the quarterbacks could do that? Not a chance in hell.

Sorry, but the claim that Russell Wilson carried less burden than most quarterbacks is also easily discredited. He had the burden of playing QB for a team expected to compete for a Super Bowl berth while playing in the toughest division in the NFL where even one more loss would have dropped the Seahawks to the Wild Card and three road games to get to the Super Bowl. He was also the most pressured QB in the league playing behind an OL decimated by injuries and without two of his top receivers (Harvin and Rice) for most of the season.

On the contrary, Wilson carried a remarkably heavy burden for a second-year quarterback and I doubt more than a small handful of QBs could have been as successful under the circumstances. Many people have no idea how bad the Seahawks' pass protection was most of the year, how many good defenses they faced featuring elite pass rushers, and how much difficulty his receivers had in gaining separation at times against quality secondaries, yet he still threw for 26 TDs, only 9 INTs, and had a quarterback rating of over 100.0. His coolness under pressure, accuracy, decision making, and ability to improvise and buy time are the reasons for his success despite being frequently under assault.

Half the quarterbacks could do that? Not a chance in hell.

There are very few QBs that win Super Bowls so this notion that if you plug QB A onto team B then the results would be the same is silly. Wilson was the perfect QB for Seattle and I would say less then 5 QBs could have done what he did. In addition to things you listed, he also had to play the best team in the NFC in the niners to get to the bowl and then the best team in the AFC with a historic offense. He outplayed Manning in the biggest game which few QBs can say.

There are very few QBs that win Super Bowls so this notion that if you plug QB A onto team B then the results would be the same is silly. Wilson was the perfect QB for Seattle and I would say less then 5 QBs could have done what he did. In addition to things you listed, he also had to play the best team in the NFC in the niners to get to the bowl and then the best team in the AFC with a historic offense. He outplayed Manning in the biggest game which few QBs can say.

Yeah, I agree these are silly claims but keep reappearing like weeds in a backyard on football forums. I occasionally try to snuff them out with facts and logic but someone who wants to argue that Trent Dilfer or Christian Ponder would have had the same success as Russell Wilson at the helm of the Seahawks is generally going to be impervious to such things anyway. Its a little like arguing with the drunk in the bar who wants to compare The Monkees musical legacy to The Beatles. Ultimately its a silly and pointless debate and only tends to make the drunk more belligerent. :)

The primary reason he's underrated is because these days many people's basis for rating quarterbacks comes from playing fantasy football .

You're probably right. I don't think Seattle is the type of team which generates big fantasy numbers