Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Paul Kuharsky Caldwell Had Chance To Be A Lion But Showed Hes A Lamb By Choice

bayone

Down 20-0

When the Colts finally got something going , they had a chance to show the Titans they were going to be a mouse or a lion, and Caldwell didn’t seem to give a whole lot of consideration to the lion route.

The Colts moved 58 yards in 13 plays and had some semblance of rhythm as they faced third-and 4 from the Tennessee 4-yard line.
just had a couple 4-yard runs.

What’s lost by making it two-down territory and showing some confidence that the rookie back could get 4 more in two chances at it?

To get to 20-7 there would have felt like real progress.

Instead,
kicked a 22-yard field goal.

Which team do you think left the field feeling like it won that series?

Edited by bayone

If he goes for it and doesn't get it he gets hammered.

I disagree. If they had at lt least gone for it people would say so. As far as getting hammered - could he be getting hammered any worse? This is a team right now with nothing to loose. Why not go for it?

I disagree. If they had at lt least gone for it people would say so. As far as getting hammered - could he be getting hammered any worse? This is a team right now with nothing to loose. Why not go for it?

Caldwell goes for it and the Colts come back for the win. 70% of the posters on the board accuse him of destroying the future of the organization for costing us the chance to draft Luck.

I have no problem going for it, I am just saying had they and not gotten it people would have been all over him for not getting points.

If he goes for it and doesn't get it he gets hammered.

Hes going to get Hammer anyway, so why not try to score lol!

This comment right here shows why hes not fit to be a head coach, Watch bill belichick a football life he tells you how you feel about going on 4 down,

heres the link: at 1:00 min at the vid watch from that part

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0t0ogwdMYIM&feature=related

Edited by joo 2h

I have no problem with him going for it in that situation. We were down 20-0, I wanted to go for it but expected the conservative move, which indeed happen. If we didn't make it, then I would commend Caldwell for having balls, depending on the play call. If it is a stupid play call then OF COURSE we're gonna hammer him. But if it was a well ran play that didn't work out, then that's ok, it's on the players not Caldwell then.

Hes going to get Hammer anyway, so why not try to score lol!

This comment right here shows why hes not fit to be a head coach, Watch bill belichick a football life he tells you how you feel about going on 4 down,

heres the link: at 1:00 min at the vid watch from that part

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0t0ogwdMYIM&feature=related

That's what makes a great head coach, if he can overcome adversity and if he has some balls...Caldwell does not have that.

As much of rivalry as we have with the Patriots, and as much I don't like that team and as much as I dont really like BB as a person he's one heck of a football coach. You cant take that away from him.

I agree, points down, 0-7 on the 4 you make that 2 down territory and try to fire the team up, even if you fail you've got them pinned deep......come on, sometimes you've got to stop being scared and try to win.....even if it's just the small win and not the game. In my opinion putting 7 on the board would have been a win!

Not sure how I feel about giving away points to go for it. That being said, they took 3, got a TD later, and two other times were right there to score. They really should have gotten 24 points and that should have been enough to win.

Way too often I see coaches go for it instead of taking the three, miss, then late in the game, what they wouldn't give to have that 3 back on the board. When they need a TD instead of a FG to tie or win, or need more than a TD to tie, that gambling attitude that everybody seems to advocate sure comes back to bite them. It happens all the time. Generally, you take the points ... I learned that from coach Shula.

Not sure how I feel about giving away points to go for it. That being said, they took 3, got a TD later, and two other times were right there to score. They really should have gotten 24 points and that should have been enough to win.

Way too often I see coaches go for it instead of taking the three, miss, then late in the game, what they wouldn't give to have that 3 back on the board. When they need a TD instead of a FG to tie or win, or need more than a TD to tie, that gambling attitude that everybody seems to advocate sure comes back to bite them. It happens all the time. Generally, you take the points ... I learned that from coach Shula.

If miami took the xtra point 2 games ago and not go for the 2 xtra points, while up 15-0 that 1 point diference would of gave them the win

Different situation though

Edited by bayone

@gspdx: You are so wrong. No one on this board would have given him a pass for that if we fail to convert. They would have screamed about how terrible he is for not taking the points and building on the next drive. Caldwell is in a lose-lose among the Colts fans on principle.
I wasn't thinking about getting blasted by a bunch of us on a message board. I doubt he cares to much about that. I'm thinking more about getting blasted by the football world, including the media. But I guess he had 3 choices: a) go for 3 and get blasted for having no guts, B) go for it and fail and get blasted for not getting points, c) go for it and make it and get praised. So the way he might not get blasted is to go for it. I guess I would rather try something other than the safe choice since the safe choice isn't working really well. Edited by gspdx

A few things I would have liked to see: when the Titans were moving down the field for a FG before the half, we had 3 timeouts. It was after the 2 minute warning. I would have liked Caldwell to use 1 timeout when it was 2nd and long. If the Titans converted, yes, it would have given them extra time to get a chance for a TD. But then, if the Titans and the Colts knew the Colts coach is expecting the D to make some stops there, the outcome may have been different. It is a mental thing, IMO.

Then, when we missed two 4th and goal tries at the end, I saw the Titans playing coverage heavily during both series of downs, at least 6 out of the 8 downs we came up empty on, why did we not run more on those 2 series to cut the lead to 27-17 and/or possibly 27-24???

Edited by chad72

A few things I would have liked to see: when the Titans were moving down the field for a FG before the half, we had 3 timeouts. It was after the 2 minute warning. I would have liked Caldwell to use 1 timeout when it was 2nd and long. If the Titans converted, yes, it would have given them extra time to get a chance for a TD. But then, if the Titans and the Colts knew the Colts coach is expecting the D to make some stops there, the outcome may have been different. It is a mental thing, IMO.

Then, when we missed two 4th and goal tries at the end, I saw the Titans playing coverage heavily during both series of downs, at least 6 out of the 8 downs we came up empty on, why did we not run more on those 2 series to cut the lead to 27-17 and/or possibly 27-24???

Saw a thread and it said the coaches seemed unaware of the difference between Painter and Manning. But as far as it is so obvious, it might be that they just realized nobody could be Manning and gave up completely.