Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

the pro bowl was the bomb

kjyb

I think the rule changes helped more than the mixed teams did but I think the layer will get more praise for fixing it. It was fun to watch although I wish Chuck had listened to Prinetime and gone back to Andrew at the end if the game we all know !uck is the guy in those situations!

Really?  I actually got a laugh when Sanders said that because it was only like 2 throws later that Foles threw the go-ahead TD. ;)

Now on the very last drive Luck might have had a better chance to get the FG but only for the simple fact of his familiarity with Pep and the offensive scheme and playcalls.  However, the rest of the offense did not have Luck's familiarity with it so it likely would have made no difference.

I like that all the players played harder but i liked it better when it was AFC vs NFC, you can actually see which conference was better. I also think they should change it back to after the superbowl so all the top players can play. That's why MLB has the best all star game because the winner of the game conference gets home field advantage, that's what Goodell should do for the NFL. I guarantee that if the winner of the Probowl conference got to play the superbowl at home, every player will give 100% effort and it would be one of the best games will watch all year.

I like that all the players played harder but i liked it better when it was AFC vs NFC, you can actually see which conference was better. I also think they should change it back to after the superbowl so all the top players can play. That's why MLB has the best all star game because the winner of the game conference gets home field advantage, that's what Goodell should do for the NFL. I guarantee that if the winner of the Probowl conference got to play the superbowl at home, every player will give 100% effort and it would be one of the best games will watch all year.

Doubtful I think, Many players have said over the years they dont care whos in the SB because they are not in it

It would be for this upcoming season so none of the players will know who will be in the superbowl. Every team will have a chance to play at home for the superbowl instead of somewhere else. 

Doubtful I think, Many players have said over the years they dont care whos in the SB because they are not in it

Then perhaps you didn't read my previous posts on the topic in which I expressed enthusiasm for the existing pro bowl when many others wanted the entire thing cancelled. The "problem" with the prior way of doing it was that players played like they wanted to get back to their mai tai on the bench. That never bothered me - it's all in fun. The NHL all star game is fun when someone wins 14-13 and the skill players make your hair stand up. I watch the pro-bowl to see the best QB's lighting it up with the best receivers, not to see bone crushing tackles. It's an exhibition for crying out loud.

Ya know, I didn't watch the Grammy's today either. Something about my not being interested in enough of the scheduled performers, and either never having heard of or actively disliking virtually all of the major award nominees. Oh, and rap sucks. Sometimes change isn't for the better, and I'm not going to apologize for saying so.

However I'm sorry if you don't appreciate my posts. I'd have a better idea about whether I should be offended if I had any idea who dudeski was. Or you for that matter.

I did not see your other posts, just the one that I replied to. It sounds like you did not mind the way the game was played before, me I thought that was terrible football. Yesterday's game was at least tolerable. I agree with you with regards to the Grammy's, but I would not watch any awards show. I would not say that I do not appreciate your posts, I was only referring to that one specific post. The vast majority of your posts are probably fine, at least I cannot recall you being objectionable.

As far as dudeski goes, he/she is the Debbie Downer of posters on this board, negative about pretty much everything.

I liked it better when it was AFC vs NFC as well (although I have to admit after watching last night the mixed teams didn't bother me as much as I thought it would) but I don't know if you can tell which conference is better based on the pro-bowl because some players don't go all out because it's the Pro-Bowl and so many players skip the pro-bowl or miss it because they are in the Super Bowl.  Last night for example of the original six QB selected the Pro-Bowl only three of them there, Brees, Rivers and Newton.  Luck, Smith, and Foles were all alternates.   

I like that the Super Bowl is the last game of the season.  Also no way they are going to award the Super Bowl based on the Pro-Bowl results.  Years of planning go into putting on the Super Bowl for a city.  Even if you awarded the following years Super Bowl based on the Pro-Bowl result it wouldn't work.  Football's playoff system is unique because it's the only professional sport that is one and done all the way through.  Baseball, basketball, and hockey all move it back and fourth between cites.  I think giving one team homefiled for the Super Bowl gives that team too big of an advantage for a Championship.  Normally when you sports that have a one game take all time of championship it's a neutral sight, college basketball and college football being the other two big sports and that's not just for the National Titles it's also for the Conference Title games other than the smaller conference who just don't have the money to play their conference championships at a neutral sight.  Also, and this is probably the bigger reason why this will never happen talking the Super Bowl out of a neutral sight that spends big bucks to get the game and then spends big bucks to put on a great show will do more harm to the NFL than fixing the Pro-Bowl will do to help the NFL.  It's just not a smart business decision for several reasons. 

Also several people are highly critical of baseball giving away homefield in the World Series based on the All-Star game because then you have guys who have no shot of being in the World Series deciding who will get homefield for the World Series.  Personally, in terms of baseball, I think what they are doing with the All-Star game and homefield is better than what baseball used to do which was just switch it every year between AL and NL but not as good as what they should do which is just give it to the team with a better record. 

Now I will say this in regards to the Super Bowl, before London gets a Super Bowl I would like to see Hawaii get one. 

It was a great game, but I don't like the non-conferenced format.  The players can still play hard in the AFC/NFC split, if they want to.  This format takes away any type of rooting interest.  Not great from a fan perspective - this one anyway...

It would be for this upcoming season so none of the players will know who will be in the superbowl. Every team will have a chance to play at home for the superbowl instead of somewhere else. 

That obviously can't happen. The league awards the Super Bowl years in advance, because it takes that long to make all the planning and preparations. It's too big of an event anymore to try to slap it together in just a couple months' time. 

I agree with you that the Pro Bowl should go back to after the Super Bowl, but the benefit this way is that more players get to go to the Pro Bowl this way. You take out at least a handful of selected players between the two Super Bowl teams, and that makes it possible for guys like Nick Foles and Andrew Luck to go, which is good.

One thing's for sure, this game was much better quality than it's been in recent years. It's really not even close. I think the draft element sparks some competitive juices. 

I'm glad to hear that they tried a little harder, but I was so turned off by the "picking sides" nonsense (not the mention one of the guys doing the picking) that I didn't bother watching any of it.

Who are they representing now, themselves? Amusing because it's different I guess, but what exactly is the point of the exercise? Combine that with the God awful uniforms, and it's pretty obvious that they were trying to appeal to a specific demographic. Perhaps fantasy football fans from Oregon or something.

I'm neither, and I'm left wondering why they couldn't get them to play harder under the old system (after the SB).

I'm completely agree MAC. A draft for the ProBowl was so lame. A complete exercise in futility. I could care less & stop splitting up AFC & NFC players on Hawaii rosters. I detest that foolish gimmick. So, you know what athletes play in what conference for years & then these Albert Einstein wizards [sarcasm intended BTW] decide to throw a wrench in the system now? Seriously? It's beyond dumb. 

The game was actually more competitive with pass rushers like JJ Watt taking center stage. Ironic...Pass rushers can't touch the QB during the regular season, but they can come after Drew Brees, Andrew Luck, Alex Smith, Philip Rivers, & Cam Newton in the ProBowl now? Interesting referees interesting...

What did I like? Well, the defense was allowed to play tighter coverage for once, more 2 minute drill opportunities was certainly different. But, then again, it defeats the magnitude of the real 2 minute drill if you allow 1 every quarter. Can you taunt an opponent in the ProBowl? What's the penalty for that now? I'm curious. 

I enjoy listening to Al Michaels & Cris Collinsworth as TV broadcasters on NBC, but asking them their opinion on what they think of the new ProBowl rules is like your employer suggesting that you say complementary things about them. Gee, my boss signs my paycheck every 2 weeks. I had better kiss their behind & go along with the flow if I still would like to keep getting paid. 

My point is this: NFL analysts from SNF are not encouraged to express independent thoughts that upper league management might object to & frown upon. Al & Cris are not exactly impartial in their ProBowl conclusions & they have no desire to upset corporate sponsors, create controversy, or literally bite the hand that feeds them. 

This is why I prefer free lance reporters vs corporate sponsored ones because they are straight shooters beholden to no giant conglomeration. They arrive with no pre approved script of questions or answers. Their feedback is as authentic as you can get. 

I liked it better when it was AFC vs NFC as well (although I have to admit after watching last night the mixed teams didn't bother me as much as I thought it would) but I don't know if you can tell which conference is better based on the pro-bowl because some players don't go all out because it's the Pro-Bowl and so many players skip the pro-bowl or miss it because they are in the Super Bowl.  Last night for example of the original six QB selected the Pro-Bowl only three of them there, Brees, Rivers and Newton.  Luck, Smith, and Foles were all alternates.   

I like that the Super Bowl is the last game of the season.  Also no way they are going to award the Super Bowl based on the Pro-Bowl results.  Years of planning go into putting on the Super Bowl for a city.  Even if you awarded the following years Super Bowl based on the Pro-Bowl result it wouldn't work.  Football's playoff system is unique because it's the only professional sport that is one and done all the way through.  Baseball, basketball, and hockey all move it back and fourth between cites.  I think giving one team homefiled for the Super Bowl gives that team too big of an advantage for a Championship.  Normally when you sports that have a one game take all time of championship it's a neutral sight, college basketball and college football being the other two big sports and that's not just for the National Titles it's also for the Conference Title games other than the smaller conference who just don't have the money to play their conference championships at a neutral sight.  Also, and this is probably the bigger reason why this will never happen talking the Super Bowl out of a neutral sight that spends big bucks to get the game and then spends big bucks to put on a great show will do more harm to the NFL than fixing the Pro-Bowl will do to help the NFL.  It's just not a smart business decision for several reasons. 

Also several people are highly critical of baseball giving away homefield in the World Series based on the All-Star game because then you have guys who have no shot of being in the World Series deciding who will get homefield for the World Series.  Personally, in terms of baseball, I think what they are doing with the All-Star game and homefield is better than what baseball used to do which was just switch it every year between AL and NL but not as good as what they should do which is just give it to the team with a better record. 

Now I will say this in regards to the Super Bowl, before London gets a Super Bowl I would like to see Hawaii get one. 

All salient points GC8818. I really liked what you said that I bolded too. Yeah. You're exactly right. How come Hawaii never seems to be in the running for a SB bid? An excellent point. Great weather & lots of activities for families to partake in entertainment wise. Plus, if they can host the ProBowl every year without a hitch, why not a SuperBowl? 

Besides, I'd like to see where they filmed Tom Selleck in the "Magnum P.I." TV show anyway. With my luck, the unit director probably shot the show in California or Florida. LOL! All you really need is a beach, a few palm trees, a mansion, & some ariel ocean pictures from a chopper right?  ;)

Yeah Gavin, I was surprised though when Tom Brady said that he wasn't gonna watch the SB & that he didn't care who won the game. Really? Look, I get that Tom has no personal skin in the game, but aren't you going to at least root for the AFC & pull for Peyton to spank the Seahawks since Richard Sherman got in your face after that Patriots loss this season?

Brady will flip on his big screen TV at some point on February 2nd I'm sure. 

You're starting to sound like ____________ negative just to be negative. 

I did not see your other posts, just the one that I replied to.  I would not say that I do not appreciate your posts, I was only referring to that one specific post. The vast majority of your posts are probably fine, at least I cannot recall you being objectionable.

As far as ________________ goes, he/she is the Debbie Downer of posters on this board, negative about pretty much everything.

I did some research, and now I'm more irritated than I was before. So first you condemn my recent posting history, essentially calling me a troll. In the second, you backtrack and say that you were only referring to one specific post.

You might want to think before you type, or take the time to scan someones posting history before labeling them. Not appreciated in the slightest.

By the way, I'm sure that I do write many negative posts. If I agree wholeheartedly with someone about a topic that's important to me I'd be more inclined to just click "like". There is precious little to say, and this board would be boring as sin if everyone chimed in just to say "me too :thmup: " every five seconds. When I post it's either to discuss a topic of interest in a neutral manor, to try and make a joke, or to detail to someone the extent to which I disagree with them - which by the way is exactly what you attempted to do to me. Or would you consider that a positive and uplifting contribution to the forum?

By the way, it's against the rules to discuss another member. I'll just say that comparing my thousands of usually lengthy and thoughtful posts to another parties two word or two sentence barely punctuated willfully contrarian crap really :cuss: You might want to consider doing more than backtracking.

I only saw part of it, but I was pleasantly surprised how hard hitting and physical the game was.

I think the improved defense also shows through in the score.  Didn't both teams usually put up more then 40 points a piece in previous pro-bowls?

Which was what made it a joke before......before this year fans may as well not voted for any defensive players because no defense was going to be played

Which was what made it a joke before......before this year fans may as well not voted for any defensive players because no defense was going to be played

I just wonder what got the defensive players to suddenly start trying harder? 

Of course that having been said, with the defensive players trying harder now, you have to wonder if offensive players are gonna want to keep going to the pro-bowl.

I'll be honest after seeing some of those hits I was glad when Luck exited the game.  Granted he could get hurt during any old regular season game, but it would suck to have our franchise QB have a major injury during the pro-bowl.

I just wonder what got the defensive players to suddenly start trying harder? 

Of course that having been said, with the defensive players trying harder now, you have to wonder if offensive players are gonna want to keep going to the pro-bowl.

I'll be honest after seeing some of those hits I was glad when Luck exited the game.  Granted he could get hurt during any old regular season game, but it would suck to have our franchise QB have a major injury during the pro-bowl.

A lot of it, imo, was that they lightened up the rules a little bit.  I already knew that in previous years teams were forced to play a base 4-3 and there was no blitzing allowed.  I did not know that up until this year, defenses were also not allowed to play press man coverage and they weren't allowed to do any type of DL stunts.  This year, they changed a couple of the rules so that 2 man DL stunts are now allowed and press man coverage is allowed.

With all the restrictions that were in place prior to this year, it's no wonder the defenses didn't give a damn.  

I thought it was very creative all the way around including having Prime Time & Rice pick the teams. It was the 1st time I watched it in many years but I have to say, watching the Music Grammys was more entertaining. I got to see Luck & Mathis before switching the TV over for the Grammys.

I did some research, and now I'm more irritated than I was before. So first you condemn my recent posting history, essentially calling me a troll. In the second, you backtrack and say that you were only referring to one specific post.

You might want to think before you type, or take the time to scan someones posting history before labeling them. Not appreciated in the slightest.

By the way, I'm sure that I do write many negative posts. If I agree wholeheartedly with someone about a topic that's important to me I'd be more inclined to just click "like". There is precious little to say, and this board would be boring as sin if everyone chimed in just to say "me too :thmup: " every five seconds. When I post it's either to discuss a topic of interest in a neutral manor, to try and make a joke, or to detail to someone the extent to which I disagree with them - which by the way is exactly what you attempted to do to me. Or would you consider that a positive and uplifting contribution to the forum?

By the way, it's against the rules to discuss another member. I'll just say that comparing my thousands of usually lengthy and thoughtful posts to another parties two word or two sentence barely punctuated willfully contrarian crap really :cuss: You might want to consider doing more than backtracking.

Wow, you are taking this way to seriously.  Never did I condemn your recent posting history, unless of course you consider that one post your recent posting history.  But in regards to that one post, yes it sounded like you were being negative just to be negative.  The other poster mention, albeit with fewer words, is negative just to be negative, hence my comparison.  If you consider it back tracking to say that I thought the vast majority of your posts were probably fine, well okay that is perfectly fine with me, I will just disagree with that point.

Wow, you are taking this way to seriously.  Never did I condemn your recent posting history, unless of course you consider that one post your recent posting history.  But in regards to that one post, yes it sounded like you were being negative just to be negative.  The other poster mention, albeit with fewer words, is negative just to be negative, hence my comparison.  If you consider it back tracking to say that I thought the vast majority of your posts were probably fine, well okay that is perfectly fine with me, I will just disagree with that point.

:scared: Uhhhh, yeah actually you did. And I'm not criticizing you for "back-tracking" - who cares. On a board in which the theme for the year is relentlessly negative :atroll: leading to one of our mods stepping down and nearly quiting the site, I'm expressing irritation with your absurd and insulting characterization.

Most people would have apologized about two posts ago, but apparently you don't make mistakes. :wall:

Carry on. At least I know what I'm dealing with. :cuss:

:scared: Uhhhh, yeah actually you did. And I'm not criticizing you for "back-tracking" - who cares. On a board in which the theme for the year is relentlessly negative :atroll: leading to one of our mods stepping down and nearly quiting the site, I'm expressing irritation with your absurd and insulting characterization.

Most people would have apologized about two posts ago, but apparently you don't make mistakes. :wall:

Carry on. At least I know what I'm dealing with. :cuss:

Uhhhh, actually I did not.  Again, unless one post is "recent posting history".  I make lots of mistakes, hitting one of your nerves is apparently one of many mistakes that I have made.

A lot of it, imo, was that they lightened up the rules a little bit.  I already knew that in previous years teams were forced to play a base 4-3 and there was no blitzing allowed.  I did not know that up until this year, defenses were also not allowed to play press man coverage and they weren't allowed to do any type of DL stunts.  This year, they changed a couple of the rules so that 2 man DL stunts are now allowed and press man coverage is allowed.

With all the restrictions that were in place prior to this year, it's no wonder the defenses didn't give a damn.  

I didn't know that either.  I know they mentioned that intentional grounding isn't against the rules in the pro-bowl, which is fine with me because you don't want a team's 20 million dollar QB getting seriously injured in the pro-bowl so allowing them to just throw it into the ground and avoid the hit is a good idea.  

But actually allowing them to play defense probably helped.