Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Irsay says he is rooting for Peyton

chad72

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would expect NOTHING less - something that I've repeatedly expressed to those on here who are rooting against Peyton because they imagine that it reflects badly on the Colts.

If Irsay is rooting for him...........................

Why would they?

He alluded to wanting to win more rings with Andrew then they did with Peyton, and people flocked here to call him classless, and throwing Peyton under the bus.

Also any time he tweets the smallest thing someone makes a thread to dissect it.

Apparently the nice and classy things aren't as fun to talk about.

I don't see anything wrong with rooting for Peyton. Now turning into a broncos fan after he left they probably weren't colts fans in the first place. They were player "Peyton" fans.

I hope he wins the retires a Colt

So what exactly constitutes "turning into a Broncos fan". This is thrown around on this site in the form of an accusation and it's really quite infuriating.

I've been a diehard Colts fan since the late '60's. Right now I'm also rooting for Peyton. Since he plays for the Broncos, this involves rooting for the Broncos. If you have any insight into how one separates the two I would be fascinated to hear it.

He alluded to wanting to win more rings with Andrew then they did with Peyton, and people flocked here to call him classless, and throwing Peyton under the bus.

Also any time he tweets the smallest thing someone makes a thread to dissect it.

Apparently the nice and classy things aren't as fun to talk about.

His choice of words and the timing of his comments often leave much to be desired, but having witnessed his pain upon letting Peyton go, I've never doubted what was in his heart, and I don't worry too much about what comes out of his mouth.

Now the "win now at all costs" mentality evident in the Richardson trade is another matter entirely. As someone who detested the Dickerson trade from the moment it happened, it just set off warning bells that "the old" Irsay might be back. Makes me nervous as hell.

I respect Jim Irsay for his support of Peyton Manning & I see no ulterior motive in his statement favoring Manning at all. 

"I couldn't be happier because he will forever be a Colt and a part of so many years of greatness here. I'm just really rooting for him to get that second ring. That would be awesome." --Jim Irsay

I do wonder though...If Peyton wins 2 rings as a Bronco & goes into the HOF in orange crush colors, would Jim be disappointed? SW1 is not trying to stir the pot here. I just know that 18's respect for John Elway & Jim Irsay is 1 of mutual respect for both men & 1st class organizations that's all. 

Yes, a player always remembers who drafted them 1st in 1998, but Manning has not officially retired yet either.  

Sadly, there is no such thing as dual team citizenship/yellow jacket status in Canton, Ohio. At some point, Peyton must split the atom & pick 1 club to represent upon the conclusion of his career. It's not as cut & dry as it sounds initially to me.

If he wins on February 2nd, Peyton has 1 ring with INDY & 1 ring with Denver. He could retire easily as a Colt & it would make perfect sense. 

But, if Peyton got 2 rings in Denver, would INDY fans feel slighted & angry because John Elway refused to play QB in INDY & he landed Manning in the HOF as a 2 time hypothetical Broncos SB winner? I'm just curious what others would think if this scenario plays out? 

So what exactly constitutes "turning into a Broncos fan". This is thrown around on this site in the form of an accusation and it's really quite infuriating.

I've been a diehard Colts fan since the late '60's. Right now I'm also rooting for Peyton. Since he plays for the Broncos, this involves rooting for the Broncos. If you have any insight into how one separates the two I would be fascinated to hear it.

Old age bring on the hostility?

What constitute a broncos fan is one who WAS a colts fan and then BECAME a broncos fan after manning left and no longer remained a colts fan. Pretty simple.

I think "turning into a Broncos fan" means ditching the Colts and rooting for the Broncos just solely because thats where Peyton is, Im a huge Peyton fan....rooting for the Broncos in the SB (wont be disappointed if Russell Wilson gets a ring though, Im also a BIG fan of his). To each there own but for me personally in my opinion realizing that the NFL is a business before anything else I find it hard to up and leave a team I rooted for for the last 20 years because of 1 player being let go....especially for the better of both parties involved. I was a big Harbaugh fan when I first started watching the Colts, Was disappointed when he was traded but I stuck it through just like a fan of the team and not just one player...To me that is "turning into a Broncos fan....Just my opinions

I respect Jim Irsay for his support of Peyton Manning & I see no ulterior motive in his statement favoring Manning at all.

"I couldn't be happier because he will forever be a Colt and a part of so many years of greatness here. I'm just really rooting for him to get that second ring. That would be awesome." --Jim Irsay

I do wonder though...If Peyton wins 2 rings as a Bronco & goes into the HOF in orange crush colors, would Jim be disappointed? SW1 is not trying to stir the pot here. I just know that 18's respect for John Elway & Jim Irsay is 1 of mutual respect for both men & 1st class organizations that's all.

Yes, a player always remembers who drafted them 1st in 1998, but Manning has not officially retired yet either.

Players don't go into the hall with a team attachment

To me it means now having the Broncos be your favorite team.  Personally I don't have the issue with it that some do.  If people want to cheer for the Broncos and not the Colts for whatever reason that's up to them. 

I would expect NOTHING less - something that I've repeatedly expressed to those on here who are rooting against Peyton because they imagine that it reflects badly on the Colts.

If Irsay is rooting for him...........................

I've always thought that Irsay moving on from Peyton was .just long term business..no matter what was said. 

......I think they were friends at one time and will be again once Manning retires

....I think Irsay probably by wishes Peyton well all the time except when he faces the Colts..

To me....Denver being in the Bowl is the next best thing to Indy being there..

That's certainly how I feel

Manning has made Irsay a filthy stinking rich man with shiny, new state-of-the-art stadium.  Therefore, I believe Irsay is sincere and genuine about his rooting for #18.  If he's rooting against Manning, after all Peyton has done for him, there is something seriously wrong with Mr. Irsay.

I respect Jim Irsay for his support of Peyton Manning & I see no ulterior motive in his statement favoring Manning at all. 

Sadly, there is no such thing as dual team citizenship/yellow jacket status in Canton, Ohio. At some point, Peyton must split the atom & pick 1 club to represent upon the conclusion of his career. It's not as cut & dry as it sounds initially to me.

If he wins on February 2nd, Peyton has 1 ring with INDY & 1 ring with Denver. He could retire easily as a Colt & it would make perfect sense. 

But, if Peyton got 2 rings in Denver, would INDY fans feel slighted & angry because John Elway refused to play QB in INDY & he landed Manning in the HOF as a 2 time hypothetical Broncos SB winner? I'm just curious what others would think if this scenario plays out? 

Slight edit here: It would have been the Baltimore Colts in John Elway's 1983 draft. My apologies for my historical mistake. 

Players don't go into the hall with a team attachment

Thanks Jvan. I guess I got confused because when Chris Berman introduces HOF players at Canton he usually goes into lengthy poetic soliloquies about their NFL team & what their franchise was like prior to their arrival & how that player singlehandedly transformed the success of that squad during their tenure spent there. Naturally, because of this pattern, I always associate 1 HOF player with 1 specific team.

That's why I asked the question I did since Peyton has had tremendous success with both clubs respectively. 

What constitute a broncos fan is one who WAS a colts fan and then BECAME a broncos fan after manning left and no longer remained a colts fan. Pretty simple.

Hilarious. Your perspective is informative.

It's middle age actually, my post wasn't remotely hostile, and any defensiveness evident on my part is a direct result from being repeatedly labeled on here as if one has failed a loyalty test - which is precisely what your first post appeared to be doing (obnoxiously confrontational for no apparent reason in the context of this thread). If you had explained your position clearly in the first post I wouldn't have responded.

So what accounts for the hostility in your post? Immaturity?

This has been covered.  You dont go into the HOF as part of a team

Hilarious. Your perspective is informative.

It's middle age actually, my post wasn't remotely hostile, and any defensiveness evident on my part is a direct result from being repeatedly labeled on here as if one has failed a loyalty test - which is precisely what your first post appeared to be doing (obnoxiously confrontational for no apparent reason in the context of this thread). If you had explained your position clearly in the first post I wouldn't have responded.

So what accounts for the hostility in your post? Immaturity?

Maybe you should reread said first post. Your reading comprehension is severely lacking. Not only did I NOT single you out I didn't single out anyone else. Followed by people being "player fans" and not team fans. Plenty of colts fans root for both now. My father in law team flopped to the broncos when manning left.

Maybe you should reread said first post. Your reading comprehension is severely lacking. Not only did I NOT single you out I didn't single out anyone else. Followed by people being "player fans" and not team fans. Plenty of colts fans root for both now. My father in law team flopped to the broncos when manning left.

I never said that you singled me out - you made a blanket declaration that I objected to. You then clarified it. End of story - aside from your juvenile attempts to belittle me. I'm neither impressed nor hurt, and you likely wouldn't enjoy it if I responded in kind, so perhaps you should just stop already. 

I never said that you singled me out - you made a blanket declaration that I objected to. You then clarified it. End of story - aside from your juvenile attempts to belittle me. I'm neither impressed nor hurt, and you likely wouldn't enjoy it if I responded in kind, so perhaps you should just stop already.

Sorry bud, you came at me with your chest all puffed out for some reason. Have fun, carry on

Manning has made Irsay a filthy stinking rich man with shiny, new state-of-the-art stadium. Therefore, I believe Irsay is sincere and genuine about his rooting for #18. If he's rooting against Manning, after all Peyton has done for him, there is something seriously wrong with Mr. Irsay.

Irsay was filthy rich before Manning came around haha.

I understand what you're saying.....       I'm one of the above, and  I admit it freely.  

I, however still  also root for the Colts, and went to  Colts games this year ~  but I have admitted very openly as long as Peyton is playing,  I will root for him, which in reality makes me a Broncos fan for the time being.

I understand what you're saying..... I'm one of the above, and I admit it freely.

I, however still also root for the Colts, and went to Colts games this year ~ but I have admitted very openly as long as Peyton is playing, I will root for him, which in reality makes me a Broncos fan for the time being.

Yeah that's cool. To each their own. Lots of people became Colts fans because of Manning. I'm personally a Colts fan first but still enjoy seeing Manning do well. Might be more due to I don't really watch college FB so I never got an attachment with the players

I don't see anything wrong with rooting for Peyton. Now turning into a broncos fan after he left they probably weren't colts fans in the first place. They were player "Peyton" fans.

I hope he wins the retires a Colt

But like I was saying elsewhere what if? Manning does like win two superbowls Like Elway with Broncos and ends his Career as a Bronco?? Could happen what then? Just never know, how would Colt fans feels then. Food for serious thought. And before you jump to any conclusions of me caring for  peyton winning are losing its not and haven't a thing to do with it...Period Hey it could happen no matter what anyone thinks. But I hope not..  

But like I was saying elsewhere what if? Manning does like win two superbowls Like Elway with Broncos and ends his Career as a Bronco?? Could happen what then? Just never know, how would Colt fans feels then. Food for serious thought. And before you jump to any conclusions of me caring for  peyton winning are losing its not and haven't a thing to do with it...Period Hey it could happen no matter what anyone thinks. But I hope not..  

Well, of course his career will end as a Bronco.   He's not going to play for another team.   His last snap, in the NFL will be as a Bronco.

Well, of course his career will end as a Bronco.   He's not going to play for another team.   His last snap, in the NFL will be as a Bronco.

Yes, But, He can end his last game with Broncos, and either retire there are get a one day contract with Colts and Retire as a Colt and not as a Bronco. I thinking most Colt fans would rather him to retire a Colt. 

Yes, But, He can end his last game with Broncos, and either retire there are get a one day contract with Colts and Retire as a Colt and not as a Bronco. I thinking most Colt fans would rather him to retire a Colt. 

haha  well of course they would.  

Okay, maybe I should have said obscenely rich? He used to not be a billionaire. He is now. That's in no small part to Peyton and the stadium(+tax payer money). He made Peyton rich too, so it's all good.

I wasn't being serious lol.

Obviously they both have benefited from their partnership.

not me i am rooting for the seahawks, been colts fan for 50 plus years manning did a lot of great things for the colts. but once you leave your the enemy 

Yes, that was evident in the poll you started.

Yet you are "rooting for" the Seahawks. Aren't they also "the enemy".

Many Colts fans are 100% loyal to the Colts, yet in a game that the Colts aren't participating in they feel a connection to the guy who "did a lot of great things for the Colts". You must have some compelling reason for rooting for the Seahawks, which sounds a bit confusing based on your being such a devoted Colts fan.

If you win one out of fourteen years in one place , and two out of four in another , it's pretty easy to figure out where a player would view the best years of his legacy.