Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Russell Wilson

bap1331

There are 2 QBs from that 2011 class that can very simply beat you just by using their arm, and that is Luck and Foles. Wilson is a solid player, but draft him to the Colts in 2011 he gas a much different start to his career. He's a good player, but has the luxury of being on a team and philosophy Pete Carroll had been building for 3 years. Luck was thrown into the fire, and is progressively helping to build a championship caliber team.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If I remember correctly, the SeaBirds have used 6 different combinations on the O line this year.  Wilson was running for his life most of the game.  Zero protection and the winning pass was thrown with a player in his face.  Hard to fault him IMO.

The Seahawks were 7-9 prior to Wilson joining the team and whether or not the Seahawks have better personnel is irrelevant. Claiming that Luck would have more success than Wilson if their teams were reversed is simply unfounded speculation based on an imaginary scenario. It's impossible to prove or disprove so its a worthless argument. The only reason to make it is because real world QB stats simply don't support Luck as the better QB to this point in their careers.

Besides, every starting QB in the league plays with different schemes and personnel, yet we still use QB stats to compare them. Using some of the logic I've seen here, you can't make the case that Luck is better than Brandon Weeden since Luck is surrounded by more talent than Weeden. That's ridiculous, of course.

Wilson has been a much more efficient passer than Luck to this point in their careers and their comparative stats bear that out.

Wilson hasn't been impressive for several weeks now, and there is no disputing that. As Chad72 pointed out, he is pretty much early Ben Roethlisberger at this point.....and that is OK to admit. We done have to pray at the alter of every QB that is on a winning team.

Is that the same Luck who just threw 7 INTs in two playoff games? Russell Wilson is now 3-1 in the postseason, has thrown just one INT in those four games and is on his way to the Super Bowl. Wilson is the better QB at this point in their careers.

wilson has 318 yards 1 touchdown pass one fumble  completing 58 % of his passes 34 Qbr in those 2 games with the most talented roster in the nfl and best defense  he beat the redskins without rg3 played horrible the last two games put him on the colts with those stats he wouldnt win one playoff game

Good then we agree. I just think right now he is the best of the young QBs from a developmental standpoint. And lest you get sensitive again that is not a shot at Luck, Kaep or Newton ...

People sure are sensitive...

Psst.. I agree with you Wilson is the real deal :)

He doesn't have to do a whole lot with that defense and Lynch.

Best young QB's in order:

Luck

Foles

Colin K

Daulton

Cam

Wilson

Glennon

Tannehill

Foles can make a very strong case for the number one spot and that is even with my Colts Bias on...

Kaep is EXTREMELY overrated there is no way Dalton, Wilson and Cam are put lower than him imo of course.  To me the list should be more like..

Foles

Luck

Wilson

Cam

Tannehill

Dalton  (its his inconsistency that makes him this low)

Colin K

Glennon

He doesn't have to do a whole lot with that defense and Lynch.

Luck

Foles

Colin K

Daulton

Cam

Wilson

Glennon

Tannehill

Dalton too high ... I think he belongs 2nd from last, with Glennon being last, and I think RG3 and Locker have to be in the discussion as well (at least at the bottom of the list in same group as Glennon and Dalton)

Is that the same Luck who just threw 7 INTs in two playoff games? Russell Wilson is now 3-1 in the postseason, has thrown just one INT in those four games and is on his way to the Super Bowl. Wilson is the better QB at this point in their careers.

The Seahawks were 7-9 prior to Wilson joining the team and whether or not the Seahawks have better personnel is irrelevant. Claiming that Luck would have more success than Wilson if their teams were reversed is simply unfounded speculation based on an imaginary scenario. It's impossible to prove or disprove so its a worthless argument. The only reason to make it is because real world QB stats simply don't support Luck as the better QB to this point in their careers.

Besides, every starting QB in the league plays with different schemes and personnel, yet we still use QB stats to compare them. Using some of the logic I've seen here, you can't make the case that Luck is better than Brandon Weeden since Luck is surrounded by more talent than Weeden. That's ridiculous, of course.

Wilson has been a much more efficient passer than Luck to this point in their careers and their comparative stats bear that out.

Since you obviously came here to pick a fight, i'm game.  

With your first quote, all you did is try and rub our noses in the fact that the Seahawks are going to the SB.  Good for them. 

So Luck has thrown 7 picks to Wilson's 1.  Well, hmmm I wonder why....  Oh wait I know.  Luck threw it 87 times between his two games, and Wilson on the other hand, had a staggering 43 pass attempts.  Luck threw it literally twice as much.  Hmmm I wonder why Wilson didn't have to throw as much????????  Oh wait maybe, just maybe it was because Lynch ran for 249 yards, while our vaunted backfield here in Indy produced a whopping 118 yards.  Guess what?! Lynch ran twice as many yards as our backfield....Gee i'm sensing a correlation here.  When you run the ball effectively (like Lynch has done) you can get away with throwing 18 passes in a game (like Wilson did.)  Now hang on here buddy, this might come as a shock to you... but when you can't run the ball....you have to throw it!!!!! Can you believe that??????  And guess what happens when you have to throw the ball more.....Anyone?  Anyone? rsrobinson?  you know what happens??  THATS RIGHT!  Good job buddy and way to keep up!  You have the chance to throw more picks.

Now onto your second quote:

The Seahawks were 7-9 prior to Wilson joining the team and whether or not the Seahawks have better personnel is irrelevant.

Please see my above passage on how having better players around your star qb is relevant.  oh and psssst....btw the same goes for defense too.

Sarcasm off :sarcasm:

SMH

Wilson is pretty good but he's clearly more of a "game manager" than anything else. He's riding a loaded team and the nature of being QB is sometimes you get more credit (or blame) than you deserve. He is pretty good, but he's not a top 5 QB.

That's pretty good, to be a successful "game manager" at such a young age.  Usually, young QBs grow into that skill.

That's pretty good, to be a successful "game manager" at such a young age.  Usually, young QBs grow into that skill.

Right. He already has that poise to take the safe play or make the play to win. Very calm and accurate with his throws too. It does help that he has a great D and run game but he def. makes the most of his limited talent at the offensive skill positions outside of Lynch. I really like his attitude too and leadership. It can't be easy dealing with Richard Sherman everyday. ;)

Right. He already has that poise to take the safe play or make the play to win. Very calm and accurate with his throws too. It does help that he has a great D and run game but he def. makes the most of his limited talent at the offensive skill positions outside of Lynch. I really like his attitude too and leadership. It can't be easy dealing with Richard Sherman everyday. ;)

Somebody get you a water bottle! you just keep hitting them right out of the park lol...

Do football fans not realize how little is asked of Russell Wilson?  I agree with the OP.

Everybody knows about his personality.  He's humble, quiet, good head on his shoulders, smart, etc. Wilson is a nice guy.

But honestly, Russell Wilson is really nothing more than a game manager.  Seahawks are a defense first team.  Wilson benefits from having the #1 D in the entire NFL, only giving up 14 PPG, so the offense doesn't have to do much to win. 

Secondly, the Seahawks are a "run first" team.  Wilson hands it off to beastmode most of the time, and the stats support that.  Seahawks (Wilson) are ranked 44th in pass attempts per game.  There are 43 QBs in the league who throw more passes per game than Russell Wilson.  can check the stats yourself here:  http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats?seasonType=REG&d-447263-n=1&d-447263-o=2&d-447263-p=1&d-447263-s=PASSING_ATTEMPTS_PER_GAME_AVG&tabSeq=0&season=2013&experience=&Submit=Go&archive=false&conference=null&statisticCategory=PASSING&qualified=false

Wilson is a young, mature, intellegent quarterback.  But now much is asked of him.  Hand it off to Marshawn Lynch, and make smart, safe throws when we need you to, and let the defense do its job.  That's a fact, not an opinion.  Wilson is not asked to put his team on his back like Andrew Luck, Aaron Rodgers, Tom Brady, etc.  Wilson is more of a game manager, like Alex Smith, Joe Flacco, etc.

Do football fans not realize how little is asked of Russell Wilson?  I agree with the OP.

Everybody knows about his personality.  He's humble, quiet, good head on his shoulders, smart, etc. Wilson is a nice guy.

But honestly, Russell Wilson is really nothing more than a game manager.  Seahawks are a defense first team.  Wilson benefits from having the #1 D in the entire NFL, only giving up 14 PPG, so the offense doesn't have to do much to win. 

Secondly, the Seahawks are a "run first" team.  Wilson hands it off to beastmode most of the time, and the stats support that.  Seahawks (Wilson) are ranked 44th in pass attempts per game.  There are 43 QBs in the league who throw more passes per game than Russell Wilson.  can check the stats yourself here:  http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats?seasonType=REG&d-447263-n=1&d-447263-o=2&d-447263-p=1&d-447263-s=PASSING_ATTEMPTS_PER_GAME_AVG&tabSeq=0&season=2013&experience=&Submit=Go&archive=false&conference=null&statisticCategory=PASSING&qualified=false

Wilson is a young, mature, intellegent quarterback.  But now much is asked of him.  Hand it off to Marshawn Lynch, and make smart, safe throws when we need you to, and let the defense do its job.  That's a fact, not an opinion.  Wilson is not asked to put his team on his back like Andrew Luck, Aaron Rodgers, Tom Brady, etc.  Wilson is more of a game manager, like Alex Smith, Joe Flacco, etc.

Do you realize Wilson has 10 fourth quarter comebacks/GW drives in his career already and two of those have been in the post-season with the most recent Sunday night vs the niners? While I agree not as much is asked of him given the team, he also is clutch and very good situationally and does not turn the ball over which puts his defense in favorable positions. He has propelled the Seahawks to the brink of a championship as much as the D and run game.

all i know is the seahawks are so lucky to have a defense like that and lynch

Exactly.  Has any rookie QB ever walked into such a good situation?!

That team was already stacked when Wilson arrived for training camp his rookie year.  Best defense in the NFL, top 5 running back.

Do you realize Wilson has 10 fourth quarter comebacks/GW drives in his career already and two of those have been in the post-season with the most recent Sunday night vs the niners? While I agree not as much is asked of him given the team, he also is clutch and very good situationally and does not turn the ball over which puts his defense in favorable positions. He has propelled the Seahawks to the brink of a championship as much as the D and run game.

Agree to a point.  Yes, Wilson led a comeback drive.  However, just like they have most of the season, Seattle's defense created HUGE turnovers to create short fields for Wilson.  Seattle's defense led the entire NFL in turnovers with 39 turnovers, often times giving Wilson the ball deep in opponent territory.

Kaep nearly led his team to a miraculous comeback, but threw a bonehead INT in the endzone.

Agree to a point.  Yes, Wilson led a comeback drive.  However, just like they have most of the season, Seattle's defense created HUGE turnovers to create short fields for Wilson.  Seattle's defense led the entire NFL in turnovers with 39 turnovers, often times giving Wilson the ball deep in opponent territory.

Kaep nearly led his team to a miraculous comeback, but threw a bonehead INT in the endzone.

Yes, Kaep actually had two terrible INTs on the last two drives. The one before the endzone one where he didn't see the underneath DB and threw it right to him. He will get better. But niners fans must be crushed.

i'm a colts fan that lives in the Seattle area.  you have to also remember, Wilson has played almost the entire season without his top 2 WR's.  take away the top 2 from every team and see what happens.  i think its silly to say if they are "game managers" or not.  aren't they all supposed to manage the game how it is dealt to them and not force issues?  and i am not a Seahawk fan, never have been. 

i'm a colts fan that lives in the Seattle area.  you have to also remember, Wilson has played almost the entire season without his top 2 WR's.  take away the top 2 from every team and see what happens.  i think its silly to say if they are "game managers" or not.  aren't they all supposed to manage the game how it is dealt to them and not force issues?  and i am not a Seahawk fan, never have been. 

i agree with the wr but u got to remember when you have a good running game it makes it so much easier for you thats where the play action comes in. i think wilson is good but i dont think he should get that muc credit with the defense they have lets take away his best wr and that running game and see how he does i dont think they would lose many still cause of that defense

i agree with the wr but u got to remember when you have a good running game it makes it so much easier for you thats where the play action comes in. i think wilson is good but i dont think he should get that muc credit with the defense they have lets take away his best wr and that running game and see how he does i dont think they would lose many still cause of that defense

Agree with this.  I didnt' mean to come off too harsh in my earlier posts, but I was simply trying to make the point bolded.

Wilson is good.  But if you plug any other young QB into a team that literally has the best defense in the NFL and one of the best running backs in the league, they'd succeed.  Take Luck, Kaep, Tannehill, hell even RG3...and plug them in for Wilson.  Probably be a similar result.

Wilson always shy's away from taking credit. He always says it's all Lynch and everything else around him. So if Luck was on the Seahawks everyone would call him a game manager then and that he is not all that? Kind of silly I think. The teams that utilize what they got are the ones that get it I believe. Hope the colts figure it out.

Guest TeamLoloJones

Wilson is good young game manager QB. Put him on the Colts and I would just about guarantee the Colts do not make the playoffs the last 2 yrs..

Give Luck Seattle's defense, and we don't lose a game for a decade. (Slight exaggeration)

Give Luck Seattle's defense, and we don't lose a game for a decade. (Slight exaggeration)

Out of like's somehow already, but I agree. He don't even need that good of a defense, just a better defense and a solid o-line and I think the Colts would be unstoppable. Wilson reminds me of a shorter more athletic Matt Hasselbeck, good QB but not capable of carrying the team.

Guest TeamLoloJones

At this point in his career, he is Trent Dilfer. Take a shot if its there, just don't turn the ball over and let the defense get the ball back

I think that is a little harsh.  Wilson is at least as good as Brad Johnson.

Wilson is pretty good but he's clearly more of a "game manager" than anything else. He's riding a loaded team and the nature of being QB is sometimes you get more credit (or blame) than you deserve. He is pretty good, but he's not a top 5 QB.

I agree, there offense relies more heavily on Lynch doing his thing then Wilson making great plays.

Exactly.  Wilson is one of the luckiest rookie QBs in NFL history, being drafted onto a team that's stacked. 

Sure he's lucky. He was only drafted in the second round and then beat out Matt Flynn for the starting job who Seattle traded a 2 for and paid a boat load of money. Wilson has earned his position on this team and has them 60 minutes from the Lombardi ...