Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Donald Brown...

Coltswarriors

He's turning into a must re-sign IMO. He plays his heart out and is not easy to take down as well. Breaks tackles, makes catches, and has become a better blocker.

I think it'll be a mistake if we let him walk. I hope we re-sign him, but I'm worried we won't.

Do you guys think he stays?

He's turning into a must re-sign IMO. He plays his heart out and is not easy to take down as well. Breaks tackles, makes catches, and has become a better blocker.

I think it'll be a mistake if we let him walk. I hope we re-sign him, but I'm worried we won't.

Agreed. I think he has to stay at this point. People say we lost a 1st round pick with T-rich. They forget this trade seems to have retroactively given us back our 1st round pick with Brown. He has been outstanding. He should be our lead back next year.

No, I really don't think he stays. I would love to be wrong right now.

But he is a old regime guy and without injuries to Bradshaw and Ballard, he is the 3rd HB. And with this coaching staff, players don't lose jobs to injuries, so he still a 3rd stringer.

After this season, I bet some team pays him starter money and he walks.

I would love for him to return, but I don't think it'll happen.  I think the team has plans for T-Rich to be the RB of the future, not part of a committee.  A running back group of Richardson, Ballard, and Brown would be pretty nice, but I don't think we will pay Brown what he wants/deserves so he can sit on the bench and play a complementary role

Agreed. I think he has to stay at this point. People say we lost a 1st round pick with T-rich. They forget this trade seems to have retroactively given us back our 1st round pick with Brown. He has been outstanding. He should be our lead back next year.

That's a great perspective that makes me feel a lot better. Brown took a long time, but so have so many players.

I was thinking about the same thing yesterday. If you asked this when we traded for Richardson , I would have given 20-1 odds that he would be gone. Now I would say probably 50-50. I think he stays if his contract demands are reasonable. IMO , there's no way , in todays NFL market for RBs , that he gets a big contract. If he realizes this and wants to stay with the Colts , I think he returns. The fact that Richardson came for half his contract makes Brown affordable. If I had to guess at a # it would be a 3 year deal at around 9 mill.

I'd rather let Bradshaw walk and keep Brown, I think Brown has earned a new contract and a raise after this season. Bradshaw is a good RB and I'd like to see him get a few more years but I think we'll end up with Brown, Richardson, and Ballard as the 3 RB's on our roster.

Mia Copa  Time

I'm on record  my opinion was Donald Brown is expendable  but I was wrong he really has picked up his game & is quickly becoming hard to keep off the field its like with T.Y you just got to get the ball into the hands of your playmakers he is a playmaker - $$$ what will others offer him ? He's worth keeping he's proving that weekly but at what price ? 

So I freely admit  without reservation or qualification Donald Brown has proven thru his play that he is not expendable & actually deserves to stay a Colt ..

I always thought Donald Brown was a good RB, he took a lot of flak with Manning calling him out about his miss pass blocking assignment.  He also did miss a key pass block at crunch time in our lost to Miami this year.  He earned the respect he is getting now and I would like to have him back at a fair price for him and the Colts.  As mentioned, fortunately most of Trent Richardson's contract is paid by the Browns.  Speaking of Trent, yes he did have a crucial fumble with his only touch yesterday which could have cost us the game.  Fortunately the team had his back and pulled out a victory.  I thought in our last game against the Jags, he was running a little better, more comfortable, very subtle signs of being the runner we expect.  I thought he would have good game yesterday but after fumble, no more touches which is understandable, and Brown was running well.  On the fumble run, it looks like he was about to make something out of nothing but oh well.  Get back on track next week.  I think our 3rd RB will probably be Ballard, because of his youth and affordable contract and ACL repair success now days, unless he has a set back.  Bradshaw unfortunately may be the odd may out as he has a higher contract demand then Ballard, his is older but may still have some miles left but the key concern is a neck injury for a RB is more concerning then a neck injury for a QB, Manning for example.  Bradshaw if  healthy can be a leader from RB position.  4 RB's for a 3 slots, a good problem to have. 

Not attempting to re-sign Brown would rank right there or higher with not re-signing LB David Thornton or G Jake Scott a few years back. Would be dumb not to. Yeah he`s had his share of nagging injuries but nothing like a bum knee as Ballard. Brown is a dynamic weapon who`s finally being used as such. 

I am always leery about signing guys who have been disappointments up to their contract years and then have a big contract year and just about giving runningbacks seconds contracts in general.   With that said if we can get Brown for the right deal at this point I would be for it.  He's very different than any other back we have on the roster. 

Price may be a factor as someone could take a chance and give him the money that a shoulder the load #1 back gets, but otherwise you pay him for what he can give you because he has shown, as complementary back, that he is getting the job done.

I don't know why people are saying " we have Ballard coming back". So what? he hasn't shown the ability to do what Brown has done. If he comes back and plays well they will be a good tandem. You really need 3 good backs these days. Assuming Richardson pans out, both he and Ballard are on Rookie contracts so I think we should be able to give Brown a 2 year deal that doesn't break the bank.