Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Stampede Blue: Having An Opinion On Someone's Opnion Of Your Opnion Is Bad Journalism

GoGoColts

I'll stand up for Jeff Saturday, anyday - but aside from them I'm having difficult concentrating on the subject matter.

I suspect that seeing "Stampede Blue" and "journalism" in the same sentence has shorted out some of my synapses.

Jeff Saturday Calls Out Stampede Blue

Dear Jeff,

Thanks for the free publicity. However, as I'm sure you know, you were not misquoted. Also, the Colts are coming off the most embarrassing loss in franchise history this past Sunday. Don't you think the absolute last thing on your mind should be whether or not your 'outcoached' statement was taken out of context? That's your priority topic of discussion right now for you, Jeff? Really?

Head here if you want to chat more on Jeff's angry rant aimed at yours truly.

I've got to agree with Stampede Blue on this one.

That is pretty disgusting on the part of BBS. He took a quote out of context and he knows it. Rather than owning up to it, he's saying it's "inappropriate' for Jeff to respond?

Just added Stampede Blue to the list I have for blogs that have an agenda and will do anything for that agenda and pageviews........including lies.

not worth reading

I didn't hear what Jeff said originally and I didn't see what BBS wrote originally. I don't really want to look it all up because im lazy, but did Jeff say "we were outcoached" or not? And if he did, how could that possibly be taken out of context? Im not supporting one side or the other, but I just don't see how that statement could be taken out of context. Thats a pretty self explanatory statement IMO.

I didn't hear what Jeff said originally and I didn't see what BBS wrote originally. I don't really want to look it all up because im lazy, but did Jeff say "we were outcoached" or not? And if he did, how could that possibly be taken out of context? Im not supporting one side or the other, but I just don't see how that statement could be taken out of context. Thats a pretty self explanatory statement IMO.

http://espn.go.com/blog/afcsouth/post/_/id/29773/jeff-saturday-not-blaming-jim-caldwell

“I didn’t say that,” Saturday said before clarifying his feelings. “I said that as a team we were outplayed, we were outcoached and there was nothing that we did better than they did yesterday. I’ve been in this game way too long to try to lay the blame on anybody else. No coach put pads on, we did. We didn’t play well at all, and there’s no scapegoat in this. If you can’t look at all 53 guys and know that we all screwed it up, and we all got beat as bad as you can get beat. There are not enough fingers to go around, so we all share the same burden here and the same blame. We’ve got to get it fixed and go play better next week.”

Looks like just another case where saying as little as possible would have been the right thing to say.

Continuing the controversy in the media does nothing to help the situation. Apologize to the coach personally for speaking negatively about him in public and let the thing die. A victory, or at least a good showing for a change, would do far more to make this go away than any amount of bickering in the media ever will.

Looks like just another case where saying as little as possible would have been the right thing to say.

Continuing the controversy in the media does nothing to help the situation. Apologize to the coach personally for speaking negatively about him in public and let the thing die. A victory, or at least a good showing for a change, would do far more to make this go away than any amount of bickering in the media ever will.

I disagree. If you were misquoted, would your response be to accept it?

The controversy is not continued by this.........it is corrected.

MANY bloggers and fans seem to feel it is within their right to skew anything and everything in support of whatever their point of view is.

It is both reasonable and fair to correct errors out there.

I've been watching this 'intolerance' of anything the colts do or say. And accept that it is within fans rights to be intolerant and to vent.

It is not, acceptable to decide that someone else is not entitled to correct garbage.

It is not acceptable to spin things into al lie

Correction of selective quoting

I didn’t say that,” Saturday said before clarifying his feelings. “I said that as a team we were outplayed, we were outcoached and there was nothing that we did better than they did yesterday. I’ve been in this game way too long to try to lay the blame on anybody else. No coach put pads on, we did. We didn’t play well at all, and there’s no scapegoat in this. If you can’t look at all 53 guys and know that we all screwed it up, and we all got beat as bad as you can get beat. There are not enough fingers to go around, so we all share the same burden here and the same blame. We’ve got to get it fixed and go play better next week.”

I disagree. If you were misquoted, would your response be to accept it?

The controversy is not continued by this.........it is corrected.

MANY bloggers and fans seem to feel it is within their right to skew anything and everything in support of whatever their point of view is.

It is both reasonable and fair to correct errors out there.

I've been watching this 'intolerance' of anything the colts do or say. And accept that it is within fans rights to be intolerant and to vent.

It is not, acceptable to decide that someone else is not entitled to correct garbage.

It is not acceptable to spin things into al lie

He flat out admits in his rebuttal that he said they were outcoached. How is quoting that original statement a misquote? OK, maybe the full paragraph should have been quoted but one of the ideas expressed was that the team was outcoached. Had he never even mentioned the coaching in the first place and simply said "We played horrible and have a lot of work to do" there would have never been any controversy at all.

I hate to agree with Stampede, but shouldn't the last thing on Saturday's mind be what some blog has to say about him? I would say focus on oh you know not getting beat 62-7 again.

With that said the media, including Stampede, are stretching what Saturday said. Technically he did say that we were out coached, but they are ignoring the part where he said we got out played. This is a case of its better to just keep your mouth shut or say as a team we just got beat on Sunday.

Jeff meant what he said and he knows it... out coached has one definition and if he didnt mean it that way he wouldnt have said it... the guys emotion was high because of the lost and he said what he thought... saturday is just trying to protect his job but he's failing at it because he did say they were out coached and that word in itself cannot be taken out of context.

How was what he said taken out of context?

Even in his backtracking statement he still said the Colts were out coached. He also clarified that they were outplayed too but he still said there were out coached too.

So I don't see where he was mis-quoted?

Edited by theking213

How was what he said taken out of context?

Even in his backtracking statement he still said the Colts were out coached. He also clarified that they were outplayed too but he still said there were out coached too.

So I don't see where he was mis-quoted?

It wasn't mis-quoted, they just didn't include the whole statement. Jeff said that the Saints did everything better than they did - players, coaches, etc... Stampede Blue made it sound like Jeff was pointing fingers on the coaching staff when, in fact, he put the blame on everyone including himself.

saying he was misquoted is just ridiculous! he said it (along with blame for the team), but he did say it. he has been the public eye for a long time and should know that all media pick apart everything public figures say. saying the team was out coached only means one thing, no matter who else is blamed along with it. bottom line is, don't say something that you don't want made public!!

saying he was misquoted is just ridiculous! he said it (along with blame for the team), but he did say it. he has been the public eye for a long time and should know that all media pick apart everything public figures say. saying the team was out coached only means one thing, no matter who else is blamed along with it. bottom line is, don't say something that you don't want made public!!

He wasn't misquoted - it was taken out of context.

oh my goodness. I guess some people see what they want to see and hear what they want to hear. And that is the reason that blogs that misquote and otherwise distort the truth make money.

being taken out of context makes a huge difference in this instance, at least it does for people are are not just looking for support of their passion for blaming coaching.

I think for people who do not agree or do not understand, and are inclined to do do something besides argue about a portion of a statement.........should some time spent googling 'out of context'

To quote out of context is to remove a passage from its surrounding matter in such a way as to distort its meaning
. The context in which a passage occurs always contributes to its meaning, and the shorter the passage the larger the contribution. For this reason, the quoter must always be careful to quote enough of the context not to misrepresent the meaning of the quote
. Of course, in some sense, all quotation is out of context, but by a "
contextomy
", I refer only to those quotes whose meaning is changed by a loss of context. The
fallacy
of Quoting Out of Context is committed when a contextomy is offered as evidence in an
argument
. Such
fallacious
quoting can take two distinct forms:

• Straw Man: This form is especially common in political debates, when an opponent is quoted out of context in order to misrepresent the opponent's position, thus making it easier to refute. Frequently, the loss of context makes the opponent sound simplistic or extreme.
  • Appeal to Authority: Naturally enough, arguments from authority often quote the authority as a premiss. However, it is possible to quote even legitimate authorities out of context so as to misrepresent the expert's opinion, which is a form of misleading appeal to authority.

Those not interested in the truth can disregard

How??? It don't matter if it was said as part of a larger paragraph, he still said they were outcoached. How can that be misconstrued as anything different?

It makes a huge difference if Jeff was blaming everyone rather than singling out the coaching staff.

Tell me if these two statements sound different to you

"We were outplayed in every aspect of that game - we were outplayed on offense, on defense, on special teams, we were outcoached, we played with less energy"

or

"Were were outcoached in that game"

I've got no problem with any of this. If Stampede sourced the material this is a non issue. Selectively pulling a quote from a paragraph is standard practice as long as you source the material.

If he uttered the phrase 'we were out coached ' of course that's the headline.

I don't read Stampede Blue, but, the Colts were outplayed and outcouched. Saturday didn't really say anything that anyone wasn't already thinking. I don't think there was an area that the Colts were not outdone by the Saints (unless you're playing golf, then the Colts whipped *). Spliting hairs that it was taken out of context or not is irrelevant.

Selectively pulling a quote from a paragraph is standard practice as long as you source the material.

Not in my highschool English Class.

Perhaps, yes standard practice for yellow journalism

Yellow journalism or the yellow press is a type of journalism that presents little or no legitimate well-researched news and instead uses eye-catching headlines to sell more newspapers.[1] Techniques may include exaggerations of news events, scandal-mongering, or sensationalism.[1] By extension "Yellow journalism" is used today as a pejorative to decry any journalism that treats news in an unprofessional or unethical fashion.

An example of that would be 'Saturday says we need new coach'

They used an exact quote from Saturday. Space is key in journalism.

When the president gives a speech and the headline is: president to congress"we need more jobs". That wasn't his entire speech but it was a direct quote. A headline.

Also you can't go with obvious statements as your headline. Jeff said we were " outplayed offensively and defensively" that can't be your headline bc the scoreboard at the bottom of the page kind of already Indicates that 62-7. that's a given Jeff.

I understand you don't like the headline, but to insinuate its a tabloid journal tactic is just incorrect.

Jeff did say that and I don't see him backing down from his statement.

What I do see is a senstionalizing of a comment he made without the rest of what he said being taken into consideration.

There are problems, everyone knows it, but he did not blame it all on the coaching staff, which is what Stampede Blue is making it sound like.

oh my goodness. I guess some people see what they want to see and hear what they want to hear. And that is the reason that blogs that misquote and otherwise distort the truth make money.

being taken out of context makes a huge difference in this instance, at least it does for people are are not just looking for support of their passion for blaming coaching.

I think for people who do not agree or do not understand, and are inclined to do do something besides argue about a portion of a statement.........should some time spent googling 'out of context'

Those not interested in the truth can disregard

I get what you're saying, however what Saturday said about Caldwell, well he did actually say it. He just wasn't saying it was entirely his fault. So yes, context is important, but Jeff did actually say that we got outcoached (in addition to other things)

Also, if Jeff wants to clarify for all to see he was blaming everyone and not just Caldwell, that's fine. I doubt the couple of minutes he took to do that isn't going to effect his preperation one iota.

Jeff did say that and I don't see him backing down from his statement.

What I do see is a senstionalizing of a comment he made without the rest of what he said being taken into consideration.

There are problems, everyone knows it, but he did not blame it all on the coaching staff, which is what Stampede Blue is making it sound like.

I should have read all the posts before responding, because you basically just here said what I said in response to your other post.

:D

I get what you're saying, however what Saturday said about Caldwell, well he did actually say it. He just wasn't saying it was entirely his fault. So yes, context is important, but Jeff did actually say that we got outcoached (in addition to other things)

Also, if Jeff wants to clarify for all to see he was blaming everyone and not just Caldwell, that's fine. I doubt the couple of minutes he took to do that isn't going to effect his preperation one iota.

True he included coaching in the statement and also true that it is not inappropriate for him to respond to a media request for clarification.

Further, StampedeBlue's response was juvenile. I never before put him in the category of 'spin' 'pandering type blogs. But for me that's where he is now.

Taking things out of context for writing a blog article or PFF article happens ALL the time. It hits home when it is one of yours that is in the crossmarks. People do that to those who follow the Bible too, take Old Testament or New Testament quotes out of context, and do their Bible bashing, that is just one example. It is just how people and media are wired, unfortunately.

Everything has a context and a responsible journalist (the few of them that may be left) will provide you the entire quote before borrowing a few key lines from it so that the context is understood.

While this debate is good for all to remember there are ethics involved in reporting a story, it should not distract from the larger issues surrounding the Colts. Issues such as why have we fallen so far, so fast in one year - even with Peyton out we should have won at least a couple of games based on the so called talent the genius talent evaluator Polian Sr and Jr. had supposedly amassed. Also, why has our coaching become the worst in the NFL? Why do we automatically give up 10-15 first downs a game simply based on the silly, silly defensive scheme we play? Why do we continue to trot out DT, LB and DBs with marginal or sub NFL level talent and simply expect them or their even less talented replacements to be able to play at a minimum NFL level? Why can't the owner see Bill Polian, like an aging pitcher or a faded movie star, is past his prime and needs to be sent into retirement. The team cannot afford going forward to live off his past glory - Look where that got us this year. Polian senior never misses an opportunity to talk up Chris Polian. Chris hasn't proven a thing except he got his job because of daddy. Some of his defenders will say he was sought after by various NFL clubs for management positions so the Colts had to snap him up. I doubt that. I have followed Colts football and pro football in general for over 40 years and I had never heard of Chris Polian until he became the GM; nor had I EVER heard he was under consideration for any other position with any club in the NFL prior to his sudden promotion.

We had the worst HC in the NFL and our assistant coaches are bland, untalented and quiet (Polian loves these types because they are easy to control and won't compete for media attention or credit) and all need to be replaced.. Once/if the entire staff is fired; do anyone seriously think another NFL team will hire these coaches? Do anyone really think another team will be dumb enough to give Caldwell another head coaching job?

We have huge issues and trying to distract from and sweep those under the rug with this minor issue is sad.

Polian senior never misses an opportunity to talk up Chris Polian. Chris hasn't proven a thing except he got his job because of daddy. Some of his defenders will say he was sought after by various NFL clubs for management positions so the Colts had to snap him up. I doubt that. I have followed Colts football and pro football in general for over 40 years and I had never heard of Chris Polian until he became the GM; nor had I EVER heard he was under consideration for any other position with any club in the NFL prior to his sudden promotion.

The only thing I think there is to judge Chris Polian on is this year's draft (which I think was outstanding) and this year's offseason (which I think was so-so, and could have been significantly better). We stubbornly addressed our biggest needs in the draft and got three really good players, one player that ought to be pretty good and just had a breakout game, and another player that hasn't had an opportunity on the field yet. But I really like what we did in the draft. I was slightly critical earlier because I think we could have gotten Stephen Paea and Drake Nevis, and another offensive lineman, rather than trading up for Ijalana, but that's awfully nitpicky. I like Ijalana, and Paea hasn't done much so far, mostly because he's been hurt. Come back to that in three years, but still, I give the draft a B+.

The offseason was only so-so because we didn't get a safety. This goes all the way back to March after we whiffed on Atogwe, after we cut Sanders. We put all our eggs in the Bullitt Basket, and he's not even that good. Never mind the fact that he went on IR after Week 1. We had no shot at Weddle, given what he got from the Chargers. We should have made Whitner happen. But realistically speaking, it wouldn't have mattered, given the way Coyer is using our players in the secondary. Still, Whitner at $4 million/year is better than Lefeged, Caldwell, and Bullitt's medical chart, for half the price. Safety was our weakest spot last season, and we did nothing to make it better, aside from two UDFAs. So yeah, that's a big problem if you ask me.

Anyways, I just mean to say I don't know what Chris Polian's profile was around the league, but if he really was the one responsible for this offseason, I like it, for the most part.

I'm happy to say that I've been able to successfully avoid Stampede Blue for well over a month. I see no reason to sully my brain with their awful idiocy now, especially not after reading that headline.

Now hold on... we ALL liven now in the information age. And after a 62-7 butt whoopping a leader on the team even utters the words "outcoached" ... it is news.

Sorry Jeff.... but .....

It's true...