Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Can we get Ernie Sims???

thelema13

It seems that Jacksonville is courting Session strongly, and the Colts have a penchant for letting their developed LB's go (Mike Peterson, David Thornton). I would love to see Session return, for starter or added depth. Not really sold on Hagler, and Angerer will be better at OLB.

With that being said, Ernie Sims is available. Eagles will let him go. I haven't heard any news or chatter as to any teams interested or putting forth an offer. He was huge at FSU, and slipped into anonymity in Detroit. Eagles never properly utilized him. Sims is fast, good in coverage (a Colts MUST) and an extremly hard hitter. With Bob Sanders departure, we need a scary hitter on our field. No one currently on the roster fits that bill. Sims could be signed for less than he was making last year, and would probably be interested in helping a defense with holes and could be an important cog in getting us to the Superbowl AT HOME. How awesome would that be?

Any news or thoughts are appreciated.

IRC, Matt Williamson's (ESPN) take on Sims was that he looked the part (body type, measurables, etc), but never clicked from a mental perspective. Take that for what you will.

Who knows, though. From what I understand, Tampa-2/Cover-2 is one of the easiest schemes for a LB to learn. Maybe he would be a good fit.

I'd rather have Paul Posluszny, I know he's a MIKE but in the Colts system he could play either the WILL or SAM position and would be an immediate upgrade. Or Quincy Black from Tampa.

That being said, I think a line up of Conner (WILL), Bracket (MIKE) Angerer (SAM) with Wheeler and Trip as the primary back-ups will be a good LB corps this year. If the Colts sign Session (and if he plays like he did the last two games before his injury not like the first 5 or 6 games) then all the better.

I'd rather have Paul Posluszny, I know he's a MIKE but in the Colts system he could play either the WILL or SAM position and would be an immediate upgrade. Or Quincy Black from Tampa.

That being said, I think a line up of Conner (WILL), Bracket (MIKE) Angerer (SAM) with Wheeler and Trip as the primary back-ups will be a good LB corps this year. If the Colts sign Session (and if he plays like he did the last two games before his injury not like the first 5 or 6 games) then all the better.

Posluszny was signed by guess who... the Jaguars, and Quincy Black was resigned by the Bucs.

@Coffeedrinker

Barrett Ruud? as Mike linebacker and slide Gary over to Sam and Angerer over to Will. Not gonna happen i know.

That's an idea. Although as much as I like Brackett and think he is under-rated by the media and many fans, I'd don't think he has the bulk and strength to play SAM, Moving Ruud to SAM though...

I wouldn't mind seeing Ernie, he's fast and a great tackler. Really really good with the Lions, very underrated. A little expensive however. Anyways, to all the people wondering how much cap space we have:

Assuming Peyton signs a 22M a year contract. Add 5M for Bob's release, 1.5M for Muir, Hart, Richardson, 3M for the rest of the team. This leaves us with 2.5M - 4M to sign our rookies, and perhaps some unknown free agents. Remember we still have to sign Castonzo, Ijalana, Nevis and all those guys. That could take up to 3.5M. Point is, we barely have any room to sign big players, b/c of Peyton's stupid contract. TAKE A PAYCUT.

I wouldn't mind seeing Ernie, he's fast and a great tackler. Really really good with the Lions, very underrated. A little expensive however. Anyways, to all the people wondering how much cap space we have:

Assuming Peyton signs a 22M a year contract. Add 5M for Bob's release, 1.5M for Muir, Hart, Richardson, 3M for the rest of the team. This leaves us with 2.5M - 4M to sign our rookies, and perhaps some unknown free agents. Remember we still have to sign Castonzo, Ijalana, Nevis and all those guys. That could take up to 3.5M. Point is, we barely have any room to sign big players, b/c of Peyton's stupid contract. TAKE A PAYCUT.

I love Peyton, best QB ever, but I would love to see us improve on defense. Him taking a paycut would make sense, he already has more money than he knows what to do with. Follow Brady's lead (thought I would have never said that) and take a paycut to sign a game-changing playmaker- Ernie Sims.

Conner is good to start, but some more experience would be nice. Just like last year we could be bitten with the injury bug, and down goes our LB corps.

I know the Colts aren't big in the free agency, but they have around 8-11 million dollars just lying around. We just lost Clint Session, and we have a bunch of backups fighting for the starting job. We definitely have depth at LB, but we don't have a competent Sam linebacker. Ernie is perfect for the Colts, he's very fast for a linebacker, great tackler, and has good hands. He also has 20 dogs, but that's very irrelevant. Anyways, he's probably going to ask for about 3 - 4.25M dollars in cap space, and I think the Colts can really benefit from his acquisition. Give the guy a 2 year, 8.5M dollar contract... I really hope the Colts can go out of their comfort zone and make a signing in the free agency.

I think we are fine with our starters at LB. Brackett, Angerer and Conner should all be fine. I would like to see more depth, but that doesn't mean we need to spend a ton of money. I would be fine with a small name FA or 2 or even a couple of undrafted rookies to come in. Hagler is a decent player, Wheeler has experience and hopefully he has progressed since the last time he saw the field.

Ernie Sims sucks. He's never lived up to his billing. Why the heck would you want to throw money at him?

I don't think he sucks. He's a serviceable linebacker and he'd fit in our scheme. Plus, he's only 26. He's kind of the same player as Clint Session, to be honest. And I figure he'd come at half the price, given his status.

On it's face, this is not a bad idea. I just resist the notion that we should do something just for the sake of doing something.

I can't wait to see the Colts defense dominate as usual because that's what they're designed to do.. Smash mouth defense that stops the run, forces many fumbles, mass sacks ohhh yeah.. Wait, am I thinking of a different team here?? Ohhh no Colts defense is designed to sustain a lead, not stop the run but should put constant pressure in the QB and force multiple turnovers which I think they forgot how to do, (or other teams realize that they can simply run the ball). They can be ok if the young guys step up and they remain healthy but that's about it and we wouldn't have it any other way.

IRC, Matt Williamson's (ESPN) take on Sims was that he looked the part (body type, measurables, etc), but never clicked from a mental perspective. Take that for what you will.

Who knows, though. From what I understand, Tampa-2/Cover-2 is one of the easiest schemes for a LB to learn. Maybe he would be a good fit.

sims played best when in a tampa 2

Eagles fan on Twitter are telling me Sims played well in Cover-2, which the Eagles defense sometimes plays when they aren't gang-rushing the QB. in their blitz happy ways

My link