Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Lions to interview Jim Caldwell for HC (merge)

Dustin

That team needs some stability at the HC position, I think from a emotional standpoint they get that in Caldwell, he is not going to go psycho on the sidelines and get up in another coaches face frothing at the mouth and act like one of his players. Hope it works out for him if he is hired

I dunno, when I saw the headline "Lions considering Jim Caldwell" I accidentally misread it as "Lions considering punching themselves in face" by accident.

Purely unintentional, I swear.

Then again, I'm also convinced I saw a headline saying "Browns consider lighting selves on fire" today, but it turned out to just be an article on Josh McDaniels.

Huh.

That team needs some stability at the HC position, I think from a emotional standpoint they get that in Caldwell, he is not going to go psycho on the sidelines and get up in another coaches face frothing at the mouth and act like one of his players. Hope it works out for him if he is hired

Well, sure, but it's got to be an awful inconvenience to have a coach whose pre-game warmup checklist includes "check for pulse."

Well, sure, but it's got to be an awful inconvenience to have a coach whose pre-game warmup checklist includes "check for pulse."

Caldwell shows plenty of emotion actually if you have seen any of his speeches in the locker room as the Colts former HC and he has also shown some on the sidelines

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ujvgSlXW9FY

A small sample

Caldwell shows plenty of emotion actually if you have seen any of his speeches in the locker room as the Colts former HC and he has also shown some on the sidelines

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ujvgSlXW9FY

A small sample

Yeah, but it's more fun to pretend like he doesn't. :rock:

(Side Note: How frickin' worthless was Chip Vaughan, eh?  I mean, if you look closely, you can see the ghost of Johnny Unitas cussing him out on that play).

I wish the guy the best, but I don't have a lot of confidence in his ability to succeed as a head coach. Sooo, yeah....

Edit: It's too bad that I automatically think this, but it seems like a Rooney Rule qualifier.

It feels that way. I understand the intention behind the Rooney rule, but when its obvious you are just interviewing somebody to fulfill it, is it really that much better than the alternative?

I thought the same thing about the Texans interviewing Lovie, and felt bad for even mentioning it. It appears to be true now though, with the O'Brian news.

I dont see the Lions seriously considering Caldwell. They are likely waiting to see if Whiz is available. Im honestly surprised no interest in Lovie, if he doesnt get an interview with the Lions, I dont see any team seriously considering him.

Im honestly surprised no interest in Lovie, if he doesnt get an interview with the Lions, I dont see any team seriously considering him.

Well, last I heard was that he was the favorite for the Tampa job.  Dunno if anything has changed there in the last few hours

Well, last I heard was that he was the favorite for the Tampa job.  Dunno if anything has changed there in the last few hours

If Lovie becomes coach of the Bucs, I wouldn't be surprised to see them release (or trade) Revis. He's still the best corner in the NFL, but $16MM for a guy to play primarily zone coverage seems like a waste to me. 

Well, last I heard was that he was the favorite for the Tampa job. Dunno if anything has changed there in the last few hours

That would be strange considering one of Tampa's biggest problems was that Schiano ran too much zone when their defensive personelle is better suited to man. Lovie is famous for using zone defenses. I dont see that working on that level, although just about everything is an upgrade to Schiano.

That would be strange considering one of Tampa's biggest problems was that Schiano ran too much zone when their defensive personelle is better suited to man. Lovie is famous for using zone defenses. I dont see that working on that level, although just about everything is an upgrade to Schiano.

Yeah, but Lovie has Bucs connections, via Tony Dungy.

The rumor I heard involved McKay coming back along with Lovie, but I don't know how much credence to give that.

Regardless, if someone involved with the Bucs is in love with the idea of the Tampa-2 given its origins with that team, Lovie would be a logical hire.

Not saying he's the best choice, but he is a good coach who would make sense with the team in question.

I agree, however he is not really HC material in my opinion. Perhaps he is too nice / smart for this kind of role?

we'll see

He really was in the middle of the perfect storm

If Dungy thought he was the right man for the job........there is something there

Per Adam Schefter on Twitter.

I said before Lovie Smith would be a good fit there because I think they need someone like a Dungy.  Caldwell fits that model too.  It would be interesting to see what he did with a little more experience as a Head Coach. 

Outside of Indy...he;s very highly regarded././..

....They need a solid....quiet...offensive minded guy....

He was an OC for a team (Balt) with 1/2 the talents of Detroit and he calls the plays for a 4-0 playoff run.

...AS an ex-Colt,.,...I hope he gets that job...

It speaks volumes that the Lions are looking at HC rejects to fill their position, Tom Cable, Jim Caldwell, etc.

I hope they know what they are doing, because they could end up sinking that franchise.

The Lions are sunk..right now

They need a resurrection...They need offensive direction and structure..and a coach they respect

When he shows them those Super rings...they'll listen ...

.He is a really smart man and a good person.........and I really disliked the horrible way colts fans talked about him.

I wish him health happiness and success

I don't think he did a bad job in Indy. He just didn't do a great job when Peyton went down.i would like to see him in the OC position for a couple more years, then maybe test the waters again. He has really only cut his teeth on the play calling end. I think that May give him a better feel for the flow of the game.

I don't think he did a bad job in Indy. He just didn't do a great job when Peyton went down.i would like to see him in the OC position for a couple more years, then maybe test the waters again. He has really only cut his teeth on the play calling end. I think that May give him a better feel for the flow of the game.

Yeah but who would have been able to make a difference that season?