Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Toby Gerhart

My friend brought up the possibility of Grigson pursuing Vikings RB Toby Gerhart in FA this year. He said that Gerhart fits perfectly with what Pep, Pags and Grigs are looking for in a RB and would be a good addition to a RB corps that consists of an underperforming Trich, and a ? mark in Ballard.

Also, Gerhart was a player that Grigson was targetin in a trade that eventually netted us TRich.

Thoughts?

My personal opinion is that Gerhart, after spending his entire career as a backup, would be looking for a contract where he's guaranteed the starting RB job. So if Grigs did puruse him, he likely would turn down an offer that would require him to be in a RBBC.

Guest TeamLoloJones

My personal opinion is that Gerhart, after spending his entire career as a backup, would be looking for a contract where he's guaranteed the starting RB job. So if Grigs did puruse him, he likely would turn down an offer that would require him to be in a RBBC.

I don't see a single team in the NFL giving Gerhart a starting job.

Guest TeamLoloJones

My friend brought up the possibility of Grigson pursuing Vikings RB Toby Gerhart in FA this year. He said that Gerhart fits perfectly with what Pep, Pags and Grigs are looking for in a RB and would be a good addition to a RB corps that consists of an underperforming Trich, and a ? mark in Ballard.

Also, Gerhart was a player that Grigson was targetin in a trade that eventually netted us TRich.

Thoughts?

I'd love to have him...I'm sure Luck would love to have another old teammate on the Colts.

We need to keep all options open, Dustin.  I like Gerhart.

Bradshaw is almost ready NOW...which we could have used, but he will go for the best deal that we are not willing to match.

DB is free to go if he wishes.

Ballard coming off of significant injury.  We need to see what makes the most sense all the way around.   :blueshoe:  :blueshoe: !!

We need to keep all options open, Dustin. I like Gerhart.

Bradshaw is almost ready NOW...which we could have used, but he will go for the best deal that we are not willing to match.

Ballard coming off of significant injury. We need to see what makes the most sense all the way around. :blueshoe::blueshoe: !!

I wonder if Bradshaw could have played if we kept him out until the playoffs.

Guest TeamLoloJones

Giants maybe.

You could be right...maybe Browns too...but I think Gerhart would be best utilized in a RBBC.  I would be willing to bet most teams would view him that way too.  He'd be a great addition to any team IMO, but I don't think he can be "the guy"

Are we the Indianapolis colts or Stanford cardinal

I don't mean to be a smart *** about this question,  but I think over the next few years I would not be surprised to see Indy draft or sign a number of former Stanford players.

As long as Grigson and Pagano are in charge,  Stanford kids are a perfect match for Indianapolis.   They play hard,  the play smart,  they play with their hair on fire,  they're good teammates,   they're good in the locker-room and community and they see the Big Team First Picture.

With Ballard and T-Rich guaranteed on the roster, I don't see the point of going after Gerhart.

There's also a chance that Bradshaw and Brown may be returning, and they would be better than Gerhart.

I'm on record as being very much in favor of having Brown return.   But I'd pass on Bradshaw.    The guy simply can't stay healthy over the course of a season.   If you can't play much,  and your body breaks down,  then what's the point.

I don't see Gerhart ever being a starting RB for a team unless he starts as the back-up and the starter is lost due to an injury.

Quality depth is always a good thing.   And our RB's have been dropping like flies for years.

I don't the point is too hard to see.....

If Ballard doesn't heal then I would consider adding Toby as a b/u to Trent.

Honestly, he'd be perfect playing fullback in Pep's offense.

Imagine a power-set with D. Allen, Gerhart, and Richardson operating behind a respectable line.  All of the sudden 3 and short is a desirable position to be in.

No more former cardinal's (including martin and toby) dear god. MAKE IT STOP!

Right.    Because the Stanford players Indianapolis has now aren't helping any....

And why would you want any more Stanford players?    After all,  they're only going to their 4th straight BCS game in a week....  by the way,  no other school has done better.    And Stanford has lots more NFL ready talent on their roster.   Lots more.

Earlier this year, ESPN reported Stanford had the 2nd most NFL talent behind only Alabama.....

The reason you're going to see more Stanford players on the Indy roster is because they match what Indy wants to do....

Players who play hard....  who play smart...   who don't make mistakes....   who are team first....   and, oh by the way,  they're very talented.    They're not winning by accident.

Stanford is a very, very good match for Indy.....  don't be surprised to see more Cardinal players on Indy's roster in the years to come.....

Right.    Because the Stanford players Indianapolis has now aren't helping any....

And why would you want any more Stanford players?    After all,  they're only going to their 4th straight BCS game in a week....  by the way,  no other school has done better.    And Stanford has lots more NFL ready talent on their roster.   Lots more.

Earlier this year, ESPN reported Stanford had the 2nd most NFL talent behind only Alabama.....

The reason you're going to see more Stanford players on the Indy roster is because they match what Indy wants to do....

Players who play hard....  who play smart...   who don't make mistakes....   who are team first....   and, oh by the way,  they're very talented.    They're not winning by accident.

Stanford is a very, very good match for Indy.....  don't be surprised to see more Cardinal players on Indy's roster in the years to come.....

Toby, but only if he's cheap and willing to be a RB/FB hybrid. He does play hard, but ABSOLUTELY HECK NO TO MARTIN AND THE OTHERS. That martin kid's a complete basketcase and a locker room cancer.

We need to keep all options open, Dustin.  I like Gerhart.

Ballard coming off of significant injury.  We need to see what makes the most sense all the way around.   :blueshoe:  :blueshoe: !!

Seems we value Bradshaw much more than all GMs did last summer, and he'll be coming off another season lost to injury.

I don't see him getting anything we couldn't pay.

We may pass on him, but it's difficult to imagine he's going to be out of our reach if we want him.

Toby, but only if he's cheap and willing to be a RB/FB hybrid. He does play hard, but ABSOLUTELY HECK NO TO MARTIN AND THE OTHERS. That martin kid's a complete basketcase and a locker room cancer.

Not sure how you came to that conclusion about Martin considering the public knows very little about the case.

The injury thing is a big concern with Bradshaw, but he brings quite a bit to the table.  I could totally understand getting rid of him due to the issue at hand, but I think it would be reasonable to allow him to compete all through the off season, training camp, and the pre-season to see how he holds up.  I think he fits this offense very well!  Healthy or not you have to limit his carries anyway so there's no point in him having to be the man.  It's feasible with all the injuries that we keep 4 running backs perhaps, Ballard, Brown, Bradshaw, and Richardson.  If Vic is healthy he could be the main one getting the carries since he kind of has to warm up a bit to be real effective, then everyone else could come in after that.  With that many backs it wouldn't be near as big of a loss if Bradshaw got injured.

That's a very respectable back field.

• 3 weeks later...

Ok I'm actually a vikings fan but more so a Toby Gerhart fan. I've been called the biggest Gerhart fan around. Whatever team Toby ends up on is the team I'm backing up. I think he'd work well into the colts scheme.

Fun Facts!

-Toby had 9662 yards in high school at Norco which made him the number 1 rusher in California high school football and ninth in the nation.

-Gerhart's best year at Stanford, his senior year, he picked up 1871 rushing yards and 28 touchdowns off of 671 carries. 

-The 2009 heisman vote was the closest in heisman history in which Toby Gerhart came in second to Mark Ingram. 

-Toby Gerhart won both the Doak Walker and Jim Brown awards in 2009. Each are awarded to the top ncaa running back.

Ok I'm actually a vikings fan but more so a Toby Gerhart fan. I've been called the biggest Gerhart fan around. Whatever team Toby ends up on is the team I'm backing up. I think he'd work well into the colts scheme.

Fun Facts!

-Toby had 9662 yards in high school at Norco which made him the number 1 rusher in California high school football and ninth in the nation.

-Gerhart's best year at Stanford, his senior year, he picked up 1871 rushing yards and 28 touchdowns off of 671 carries. 

-The 2009 heisman vote was the closest in heisman history in which Toby Gerhart came in second to Mark Ingram. 

-Toby Gerhart won both the Doak Walker and Jim Brown awards in 2009. Each are awarded to the top ncaa running back.

As the resident Stanford guy around here,  welcome to the Toby Gerhart fan club!   He's a fun guy to root for, and the more you see him, the more you like him.

One incorrect fact to correct if I may...   his senior year yards of 1871, were actually done in 343 carries.   His 671 carries are his 4-year career total carries.   

I'd love to see Toby come to Indianapolis.   But I'm not expecting it.   Because we're keeping Trent and Vick Ballard is coming back -- that's two power running backs.   Not sure Toby wants to sign on as the 3rd.   We still need a change of pace back and I'm hopeful it's Donald Brown.   But if he goes elsewhere,  then we'll need someone else like him, and I don't think that's Toby.

Gerhart is more like Richardson and Ballard than he is like Brown.

So, on that basis,  I'm not sure he's a fit in Indy. 

Hope I'm wrong.....   but don't think I am....

As the resident Stanford guy around here,  welcome to the Toby Gerhart fan club!   He's a fun guy to root for, and the more you see him, the more you like him.

One incorrect fact to correct if I may...   his senior year yards of 1871, were actually done in 343 carries.   His 671 carries are his 4-year career total carries.   

I'd love to see Toby come to Indianapolis.   But I'm not expecting it.   Because we're keeping Trent and Vick Ballard is coming back -- that's two power running backs.   Not sure Toby wants to sign on as the 3rd.   We still need a change of pace back and I'm hopeful it's Donald Brown.   But if he goes elsewhere,  then we'll need someone else like him, and I don't think that's Toby.

Gerhart is more like Richardson and Ballard than he is like Brown.

So, on that basis,  I'm not sure he's a fit in Indy. 

Hope I'm wrong.....   but don't think I am....

Sorry for the off fact on carries. I agree. I just hope he ends up somewhere where at least if he's a RB2 he can get more carries because anyone playing behind AD isn't going to get much. The guy is a monster.

Sorry for the off fact on carries. I agree. I just hope he ends up somewhere where at least if he's a RB2 he can get more carries because anyone playing behind AD isn't going to get much. The guy is a monster.

Hey...    no worries....    we're good....

I'm with you....    I know wherever Toby goes he's going to want his touches....  a chance to show what he can do...  and you're right,  when you're behind Adrian Peterson,  you're not going to get much of that chance....