Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Brazill or Whalen

Caleb3502

I think we may be a little too quick to react on who should be on the roster next year, and who should be let go. Just a few weeks ago, when Brazill and Rogers stepped up, everyone was saying that Brazill was a keeper. Now that Whalen has stepped up and Brazill had a drop, everyone is saying to let Brazill go and keep Whalen.

I'm all for bettering the roster and if we add pieces that are head and shoulders better than either Whalen or Brazill, then so be it as long as the team improves. At the moment, I am all for keeping them both on the roster moving forward.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Brazill is not practice squad eligible.

I'm assuming we add another receiver, and hopefully Reggie comes back ready to play. And to me, outside of DHB, Brazill is on the bottom of the totem pole. 

Very true, and now that Whalen and Rodgers have shown something in live game action it's probably not a good idea to try and practice squad either of them.  

I honestly think if we tried to waive either one from the active roster they would be claimed off of waivers immediately.  

If we do add a WR, I presume Brazil is probably going to be cut.  

I think we may be a little too quick to react on who should be on the roster next year, and who should be let go. Just a few weeks ago, when Brazill and Rogers stepped up, everyone was saying that Brazill was a keeper. Now that Whalen has stepped up and Brazill had a drop, everyone is saying to let Brazill go and keep Whalen.

I'm all for bettering the roster and if we add pieces that are head and shoulders better than either Whalen or Brazill, then so be it as long as the team improves. At the moment, I am all for keeping them both on the roster moving forward.

That's a fair point.

I've said since day 1 that Whalen was the best slot WR on the team. Brazil is fast but he plays the same role as Hilton and he's not better then Hilton, therefore there won't be a need for him next year. It's a decision that Grigson will have to make between Whalen and Brazil and it will be an easy one.

Brazill is not practice squad eligible.

I'm assuming we add another receiver, and hopefully Reggie comes back ready to play. And to me, outside of DHB, Brazill is on the bottom of the totem pole. 

If the decision is between Whalen and Brazil, Brazil will be cut then. Too many other needs at o-line and CB to have 5 WR's on the roster.

I've said since day 1 that Whalen was the best slot WR on the team. Brazil is fast but he plays the same role as Hilton and he's not better then Hilton, therefore there won't be a need for him next year. It's a decision that Grigson will have to make between Whalen and Brazil and it will be an easy one.

I'm not entirely sure that that's the case. I don't expect DHB to return next year. And with the injuries to Wayne, Brazill, T.Y., and Whalen throughout the year, at times getting dinged up and missing practices and/or games, I think we'll carry more receivers next year. There's room to keep them all if needed, with the exception of DHB.

If the decision is between Whalen and Brazil, Brazil will be cut then. Too many other needs at o-line and CB to have 5 WR's on the roster.

I expect we WILL carry five most of the year. I don't think Reggie's recovery is a sure thing (my fingers are crossed), and I think having an extra receiver will be important. That will be adjusted as the season goes on, as always. 

Right now, we have 10 linemen and 10 linebackers. There's plenty of fat to be trimmed.

this is a very hard decision for the fat they have different things they bring to the game, I believe Whalen has better Route running and cathes in traffic better but i also think Brazil is better at beating coverage and has more acceleration and top speed, so i guess it all for what or looking for and what your trying to do to the opposing defense.  i would like to see them both playing sine they both have stepped up and it is giving Luk more targets to throw at no matter who gets the #3 spot.

I'm not entirely sure that that's the case. I don't expect DHB to return next year. And with the injuries to Wayne, Brazill, T.Y., and Whalen throughout the year, at times getting dinged up and missing practices and/or games, I think we'll carry more receivers next year. There's room to keep them all if needed, with the exception of DHB.

I wouldn't mind keeping Brazil as the 5th WR but with the injury history of Toler, i would rather have an extra DB. I do think will draft a CB early because of Toler not being able to stay healthy. Also, Fleener and Allen will be used like WR's next year.

I agree, with Rogers, T.Y, Whalen, and Wayne coming back next year i don't think Brazil makes the roster. Fleener and Allen are basically big WR's that happen to play TE. We could use that extra spot for a CB or O-lineman. He'll make the practice squad but he's just too inconsistent to be on the roster.

brazill is also good on special teams. He might make it based on that. We will keep 5 wr's

Reggie >>>> Whalen. 

Reggie >>>> Whalen. 

Wayne isn't on the team and i was talking about the young wr's. Your the same guy that said Whalen was too "slow" and couldn't "seperate" and shouldn't be on the roster. You also said DHB should keep a roster spot over Whalen because Whalen couldn't catch. I guess we all can take your word for it....  Let it go, Whalen is the best route runner and slot WR on the team.

Reggie will come back Reggie:  Simple as that.....He may lose a step/will lose a step?  He will run his same routes.  He knows who he is and what he CAN do!!!

I was surprised Whalen was waived.  I mentioned him as ONE guy who knew how to find the 1st down marker.  Now he is doing it!!!  We need him NOW, and after the year we will see where we are and go from there.  He WILL be invited back.

Lets get hot and move forward..........

:coltslogo:  :coltslogo:  :coltslogo:

Sure there is, several things can be evaluated without being targeted alot, not everything but some things

I went back and watched the game on NFL Rewind.  He didn't play very much other than on special teams.

However he did have one major drop on a deep ball.  I certainly think he should have caught that one.

Brazill usually has better hands than that.  He seems to have a knack for getting open deep lately which

is what I like.  We now have at least 3 people that can burn you on the deep ball.

You might not agree, but I'm starting to get comfortable with this group we have out there right now. 

I think it's a pretty solid WR corps.  To me it appears Luck is starting to get a bit comfortable with 

this group of Whalen, Brazil, Rogers, Hilton. And of course we can't leave out Coby Fleener.

And how do we make that decision after 2 games?  Brazil came off a 2 touchdown performance at Cincinatti.

Griff just started improving with the Houston game and then this KC game.  There's not much else we can point

to outside of those 2 games.  I think they both bring value to the table. Griff is a possession receiver solid hands.

I love that Luck is starting to get Whalen the ball quicker when he makes his break. I think Luck now understands

that Whalen isn't that fast so the ball has to be delivered quicker and with more zip. Brazill can be used in that role

at different points in a game, but he's more of a deep threat.  

The deep ball seems to be one of Brazill signatures when we go back and look at some of the balls he's caught.

Deep catches last year vs. the Lions, Patriots, and I'm sure there were one or two more games as well.  

This year he's hauled in deep balls vs the Bengals, and he was wide open on a deep ball vs KC but he dropped it.

He gives us that other deep threat outside of TY, although I also Rogers can be used on the deep ball as well. 

I think Griff and Brazill have some skill sets we need.. As we go along we'll see more positives from both of them.

I don't think you can make decision to cut either one of them at this point. Let's watch a couple more games!

Trade bait? None of our WRs other than Reggie are worth anything in a trade.

Maybe not in present values, but in futures we have a couple developing. Look at Pierre' Garcon... A fairly unknown player that has developed well... Surely one out of the "other" wideouts will develop as well we just have to actually keep them.. ha ha.