Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

We can get momentum from what happened today

Ohio Colt

This game ended how it needed to. Luck ended up with one of the best days of his career. Most of all, the receivers proved that they could make some plays. This wasn't the same anemic bunch that I've felt has left our offense naked the last few weeks. Suddenly with Hilton, Fleener, Rogers, and Brazill, along with the ability to throw some balls to Richardson out of the backfield (please Pep, use him more in this way in space) I think we have a fighting chance if our defense tightens up. This was a very important thing to catch in the loss. Rogers is going to be a real talent. Luck needs to keep finding him, and the guy could emerge as a star heading into next year. He is truly the next great one I think.

Notice I did not mention Heyward Bey. I am done with the guy. The group is good enough that he should be basically phased out.

I also think we should be using the pass to set up the run every week. Start out 3 or 4 wide with a TE on the field and no-huddle it from the get go.... when we have established that, move to the run... especially if we have a lead.

I was impressed by this group though today as a unit. By the way, Luck's throw to Brazill in the end zone for the 29 yard touchdown was the best throw I've ever seen him make. Shame that it was in a wasted effort.

This game ended how it needed to. Luck ended up with one of the best days of his career. Most of all, the receivers proved that they could make some plays. This wasn't the same anemic bunch that I've felt has left our offense naked the last few weeks. Suddenly with Hilton, Fleener, Rogers, and Brazill, along with the ability to throw some balls to Richardson out of the backfield (please Pep, use him more in this way in space) I think we have a fighting chance if our defense tightens up. This was a very important thing to catch in the loss. Rogers is going to be a real talent. Luck needs to keep finding him, and the guy could emerge as a star heading into next year. He is truly the next great one I think.

Notice I did not mention Heyward Bey. I am done with the guy. The group is good enough that he should be basically phased out.

I also think we should be using the pass to set up the run every week. Start out 3 or 4 wide with a TE on the field and no-huddle it from the get go.... when we have established that, move to the run... especially if we have a lead.

I was impressed by this group though today as a unit. By the way, Luck's throw to Brazill in the end zone for the 29 yard touchdown was the best throw I've ever seen him make. Shame that it was in a wasted effort.

Trent does need to be used in space more. However, in my opinion, today is a bad example. We were just throwing underneath routes against a defense that was basically playing prevent. I will say, Trent seemed to be running with more purpose than I have seen him run with as a Colt. 

Rogers is physically head and shoulders above our other receivers (he is a specimen). If the kid can put it together, sky is the limit.

I agree....and since we're probably super-glued to the #4 seed, the next 3 weeks should be spent meshing these young WRs into the game plan and building their chemistry with Luck the best we can.

Hilton, Brazill and Rogers all show yards after catch ability, and with the lack of protection Luck has....we're gonna need it.

I hope in the playoffs we will go down shooting against a KC team that can't get into a shootout... throw the ball all over the field and turn it into our type of game.

If we try to get into a game of running the ball and managing possessions etc. field position they will beat up on us. Of course, then we need to protect the QB to throw the ball against KC; so that's why we will have trouble beating them. being at home will help.

Also being that its KC and we are both minor markets, don't expect primetime game or on saturday.

Luck to hilton, vs texans in indy last year.

We put some good numbers up against the 6th ranked defense. Thats a positive. We found 2 valuable weapons today that will pair very well with TY and Fleener (wayne and Allen Next year). Defense played mediocre at best. What is it with our defense, whats our biggest weakness on D? 

We put some good numbers up against the 6th ranked defense. Thats a positive. We found 2 valuable weapons today that will pair very well with TY and Fleener (wayne and Allen Next year). Defense played mediocre at best. What is it with our defense, whats our biggest weakness on D?

No pass rush beyond Mathis. Double him and you have all day for recievers to work on peeling off of corners. Without Toler, its easier to wear the corners down. Manusky also loves to play them man coverage so they get devored by crossing routes.

Thats the pass defense in a nutshell.

I wasn't really all that mad after this game.  I saw a lot of things I liked offensively.

I think we found a good WR group that will work well for us in Rogers, Hilton, Brazil

and Fleenor.  I'm not sure what happened to Rainey but I also saw us starting to 

mix him into the passing game as well which I think will also add another element

of explosiveness once we get it going.  Can't forget about T Rich in the passing game also.

After watching todays game I think we will be better off as a passing team

using a variety of short slants and screens as a form of the running game, and then

slowing mixing in the power run game as the game goes on. Of course we won't leave

out the deep passing game as well. I think it's a  better approach than just coming right out

struggling to execute the power running game.  I saw much I liked out of the offense today and especially Rogers.

I'm still wondering what is going on with the defense, but I did like what I saw out of 

Mcnary.  I think at some point he will be starting along side Freeman, the kid has

good speed, good size and is a good tackler. He's a thumper. I'd also like to see

Adongo worked in as a situational pass rusher just to see what happens. I have a

feeling he'll do well with that.  Just my 2 cents!

I like your Idea on offense and I would agree. Mise well start getting these young WRs in gear now because they are likely our future. I certainly hope We play Hilton, Rodgers, Brazil and Fleener these next couple weeks. Leave DHB alone. He's a great guy and a hard worker, can't take that from him but hard work with out production is not gonna cut it at this level. And he just can't produce. This young core though has me kinda excited to see what they can hopefully continue to do.

I wasn't really all that mad after this game. I saw a lot of things I liked offensively.

I think we found a good WR group that will work well for us in Rogers, Hilton, Brazil

and Fleenor. I'm not sure what happened to Rainey but I also saw us starting to

mix him into the passing game as well which I think will also add another element

of explosiveness. Can't forget about T Rich in the passing game also.

After watching todays game I think we will be better off as a passing team

using a variety of short slants and screens as the running game, and then

slowing mixing in the power run game as the game goes on. I think it's a

better approach than just coming right out struggling to execute the power

running game. I saw much I liked out of the offense today and especially Rogers.

So youre saying WCO ftw? I agree. I dont think it will work that way though. Pagano wants his run first, hard nosed defense teams like Baltimore runs. The Colts simply dont have that roster.

Run first plays should be strertch and toss plays done to the outside where the tackles do the work, not at the weakest part of the o line.

Well the only reason Trent had so much space because they knew they had to play the pass and not give up big plays because we were behind by a lot.  

Even with that said its true that we can gain confidence from this.

Confidence with Luck and the WR will boost progression and finding ways to help our RB will be useful in further games.

Maybe this game will boost the OLine confidence.

Maybe Reggie Wayne can help these young receivers get open with some shaky moves.

Pep needs call better plays or let Andrew call plays or Use the hurry up offense in the first 1/2 n slow it in the second

So youre saying WCO ftw? I agree. I dont think it will work that way though. Pagano wants his run first, hard nosed defense teams like Baltimore runs. The Colts simply dont have that roster.

Run first plays should be strertch and toss plays done to the outside where the tackles do the work, not at the weakest part of the o line.

What I'm saying is we should NOT ditch the running/power running game, but we should alter how we get into it.  

I think we can begin games passing the football controlling the clock with short slants, screens etc and slowly getting

into the power running game as we go.  I like this approach more than just coming right out running the football when everyone knows you will be running the ball. I like what we did in the passing game today, I think if we do things how we

did today in the passing game it can be our strength, and then we can work our way into the power stuff

as the game grinds on.   We just have to stop getting behind so much where we are at the point where we

are unable to run.

No pass rush beyond Mathis. Double him and you have all day for recievers to work on peeling off of corners. Without Toler, its easier to wear the corners down. Manusky also loves to play them man coverage so they get devored by crossing routes.

Thats the pass defense in a nutshell.

Yes, the lack of pass rush has been problematic and the defensive line could be more disruptive as a unit. Too often safeties are making initial tackles 8 or 10 yards down field. I hope Werner becomes more of a presence. These corners need better help from deep safeties when we cover elite receivers. Asking guys to cover AJ Green, Larry Fitzgerald or Megatron alone for a game is ridiculous and often results in pass interference calls and frustration...Bethea isn't any kind of answer IMO...Landry is an improvement, but this position could use an upgrade...It all begins with getting some kind of initial pressure from the line and disrupting the timing of the play. The quarterbacks we've faced have been more than comfortable all afternoon long...

Yes, the lack of pass rush has been problematic and the defensive line could be more disruptive as a unit. Too often safeties are making initial tackles 8 or 10 yards down field. I hope Werner becomes more of a presence. These corners need better help from deep safeties when we cover elite receivers. Asking guys to cover AJ Green, Larry Fitzgerald or Megatron alone for a game is ridiculous and often results in pass interference calls and frustration...Bethea isn't any kind of answer IMO...Landry is an improvement, but this position could use an upgrade...It all begins with getting some kind of initial pressure from the line and disrupting the timing of the play. The quarterbacks we've faced have been more than comfortable all afternoon long...

Or just play some soft zone on 3rd and long rather than playing man coverage every down. Some more exotic LB blitzes and not having them cover WRs would also be great. Manusky's playcalling got figured out, and his scheme adjustments have been baffling at times. Thats the biggest issue.

With respect to the original post, I do think there were positives to come from this game. We finally, finally get to see production from receivers outside of TY and Fleener. Additionally, I love Rogers and I think this cat is going to really produce moving forward- GET THIS GUY THE BALL!!!!!!!!! I also felt even last year that Brazill was going to emerge and I can't believe it has taken thirteen or so weeks to get this guy really "Involved" in the pass game...I also liked the use of Richardson today as well in space and catch situations. DHB- 1 year deal almost over with...Can't get this guy off our hands fast enough IMO...

I was extremely pleased to see the offense show a pulse in the 2nd half.  And for the first 21 points it wasn't like the game was out of reach and the Cincy defense was just playing prevent.  (Although one could clearly see on the last TD drive that they had dropped into a prevent defense.  As evidenced by the 4 or 5 Luck to Trent for 10 to 15 yard gains)

The defense needs to be fixed. . . It's not like we just learned this.