Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Tomlin fined $100,000

Dustin

Appropriate, IMO.

Yup. If you watch that video, it certainly looks like he was trying to re-route Jacoby Jones. He tried to claim that he was watching the play on the Jumbotron, but if you look carefully you can see him take that little half step to the right, with his head turned slightly to the right, just enough to watch the runner out of the corner of his eye. Bush league play.

Yup. If you watch that video, it certainly looks like he was trying to re-route Jacoby Jones. He tried to claim that he was watching the play on the Jumbotron, but if you look carefully you can see him take that little half step to the right, with his head turned slightly to the right, just enough to watch the runner out of the corner of his eye. Bush league play.

I buy his explaiantion....Its not unusual to watch plays at the other end of the field on the scoreboard.

..and if he wanted to bother Jones..he'd have turned around

Jacoby Jones changed direction because he wasnt out running the defender.

Remember..no kick had been run past midfield on the Steelers all year. This is where Tomlin watches the kickoffs

This is a big deal made aboit nothing.

He should be fined (and should have been penalized)as a coach onthe field and that should be the end of it.

Back to the games,please

Also he said it wasn't on purpose but the smile you all saw on his face afterwards tells the tale.

I buy his explaiantion....Its not unusual to watch plays at the other end of the field on the scoreboard.

..and if he wanted to bother Jones..he'd have turned around

Jacoby Jones changed direction because he wasnt out running the defender.

Remember..no kick had been run past midfield on the Steelers all year. This is where Tomlin watches the kickoffs

This is a big deal made aboit nothing.

He should be fined (and should have been penalized)as a coach onthe field and that should be the end of it.

Back to the games,please

Actually you are wrong if tomlin wouldn't have done that it would have been a ravens TD so try again and I see this as just a slap on the wrist as what it probably should be.

At worst it was intentional and at best, it was reckless and irresponsible.  Tomlin's lucky that it didn't ultimately affect the outcome of the game.  But the issue is, it very well could have...and god forbid it was a playoff game.  There was no reason for him to be on the field and the only way you can deter this type of conduct is by automatically attributing the affected team with a TD, IMO.  But until that rule is in place, loss of draft pick(s) will suffice.  Tomlin knew or should have known where he was, no excuses. 

Also he said it wasn't on purpose but the smile you all saw on his face afterwards tells the tale.

That's the one part about this that is frequently commented on that I think is irrelevant, if not backwards.

I reserve my biggest grins for when I've made an absolute fool of myself. Facial expression proves nothing.

The problem, however, is that he had no business being in the white area much less nudging the field, and the "looking over the shoulder" image well before bothering to move is pretty damning. The fine seems a bit excessive, and the idea of draft picks seems ridiculous, but SOME punishment is certainly in order.

At worst it was intentional and at best, it was reckless and irresponsible.  Tomlin's lucky that it didn't ultimately affect the outcome of the game.  But the issue is, it very well could have...and god forbid it was a playoff game.  There was no reason for him to be on the field and the only way you can deter this type of conduct is by automatically attributing the affected team with a TD, IMO.  But until that rule is in place, loss of draft pick(s) will suffice.  Tomlin knew or should have known where he was, no excuses. 

Nice post. Tomlin has no business even being on the White Line. He was three feet into play and knew exactly what he was doing and it was dumb. Especially since he was admittingly watching it on TV. 

In exceptional cases, the refs should have the ability to call a 30 yard penalty, twice the conventional 15 yard unsportsman like conduct penalty.

Even if it does not give a TD to the other team, the 30 yards will make teams think twice about it because it flips field position in most cases, stops the clock because it is a penalty and can make the difference between a FG and a TD.

This in some ways is worse than spy gate.  Spy gate was supposedly about trying to figure out another team's signals to try to anticipate what play the offense will call so the Pats can tell their defense how to line up.  But the Defense still has to try to figure out how to execute the play so it's no guarantee it will be a success.  It's sort of like card counting while playing Blackjack.  It was more about the law of averages.

Tomlingate is about a coach who physically used his own body on the field of play to deliberately try to influence either the outcome of a game or a single play right on live tv which could have caused an injury to the player or himself or both.  That is more direct, malicious and in your face than using a video camera is.

Whether or not you think what Tomlin did was juvenile or serious.  The bottom line is the NFL needs to come down hard on Tomlin and the Steelers to make a statement so that current and future coaches will never even try this act again for fear that the penalties will be severe.

This in some ways is worse than spy gate.  Spy gate was supposedly about trying to figure out another team's signals to anticipate what play the offense will call so the Pats can tell their defense how to line up.

Tomlingate is about a coach deliberately right on the field during a game on live tv trying to influence the outcome of a game with his own actions by physically interfering himself which could have caused an injury to the player or himself or both.

sticker,375x360.png

He won only 1, Mike Tomlin, but thanks for trying, Pats fan :)

That did cross my mind...Cowher is probably a cheater as well. You know how organizations like that operate.

The only team that probably doesn't cheat in this day and age are the Colts.

You really think the organization should be denied a draft pick because Tomlin was silly enough to put his foot on the field? Yes, he attempted to effect the play, but it's not like he ran onto the field and tackled the runner. It's not like there is suddenly going to a rash of coaches interfering if Tomlin only got a 25k fine. I dunno, the outrage over this seems a little excessive.

You really think the organization should be denied a draft pick because Tomlin was silly enough to put his foot on the field? Yes, he attempted to effect the play, but it's not like he ran onto the field and tackled the runner. It's not like there is suddenly going to a rash of coaches interfering if Tomlin only got a 25k fine. I dunno, the outrage over this seems a little excessive.

I'm honestly okay with it because there isn't a rash of coaches (or players on the sideline) trying to interfere.  But the one time it does happen and it affects the outcome of a game, which this certainly could have, it has further reaching implications than just that one game ESPECIALLY whenit is an intra division game.  It could affect tie breakers, seeding, and even draft positioning.  But where "accidents" like this could really come to a head is in the playoffs or even worse, a superbowl. 

This was all about precedent, and I believe Goodell got it right in the absence of a rule on the subject (which, as I've said before, I believe a flag that results in an automatic TD is the proper way to handle this).  Imagine if this would have happened in the superbowl.  Flacco suggested it, albeit as a joke.  But what if they did return it for what would be a sure TD, just to get rerouted into a tackle because someone not in the play was standing on the field?  The only penalty they could have thrown was a 15 yard flag at the spot of the foul.  What's the chances of Kaepernick throwing a 40+ yard TD?  Not very good, and the effect would be a cheater being credited with a superbowl.

Is losing a draft pick a bit much?  Possibly.  Would it deter this conduct when the stakes are at their highest?  Maybe, maybe not.  But with a draft pick on the line, it certainly gives teams a reason to ensure that coaches and players off the field stay off the field.  If there truly is no reason for Tomlin to have been on the field, then I don't believe there's any harm with such an extreme sanction.  It only takes one player/coach to say "Well, I'll only get a fine or suspension, but it's worth it" and go and turn an illegal play to one that benefits them more than it hurts them. 

I'm honestly okay with it because there isn't a rash of coaches (or players on the sideline) trying to interfere. But the one time it does happen and it affects the outcome of a game, which this certainly could have, it has further reaching implications than just that one game ESPECIALLY whenit is an intra division game. It could affect tie breakers, seeding, and even draft positioning. But where "accidents" like this could really come to a head is in the playoffs or even worse, a superbowl.

This was all about precedent, and I believe Goodell got it right in the absence of a rule on the subject (which, as I've said before, I believe a flag that results in an automatic TD is the proper way to handle this). Imagine if this would have happened in the superbowl. Flacco suggested it, albeit as a joke. But what if they did return it for what would be a sure TD, just to get rerouted into a tackle because someone not in the play was standing on the field? The only penalty they could have thrown was a 15 yard flag at the spot of the foul. What's the chances of Kaepernick throwing a 40+ yard TD? Not very good, and the effect would be a cheater being credited with a superbowl.

Is losing a draft pick a bit much? Possibly. Would it deter this conduct when the stakes are at their highest? Maybe, maybe not. But with a draft pick on the line, it certainly gives teams a reason to ensure that coaches and players off the field stay off the field. If there truly is no reason for Tomlin to have been on the field, then I don't believe there's any harm with such an extreme sanction. It only takes one player/coach to say "Well, I'll only get a fine or suspension, but it's worth it" and go and turn an illegal play to one that benefits them more than it hurts them.

The team that was affected by the player on the field can be awarded a touchdown. It falls under the palpably unfair act.

The team that was affected by the player on the field can be awarded a touchdown. It falls under the palpably unfair act.

I don't entirely disagree with that but the infraction by the player/coach on the field when they shouldn't be is equally unfair.  I mean, say Jacoby would have scored but for Tomlin's interference.  It would have been a TD, but instead, they ended up with a field goal or worse and ended up losing by 3 points?  Its one thing where a bad call affects the game.  Bad calls/missed calls are "part of the game."  But people not in the play affecting the outcome of the game is a much worse infraction that should never happen.

I don't entirely disagree with that but the infraction by the player/coach on the field when they shouldn't be is equally unfair.  I mean, say Jacoby would have scored but for Tomlin's interference.  It would have been a TD, but instead, they ended up with a field goal or worse and ended up losing by 3 points?  Its one thing where a bad call affects the game.  Bad calls/missed calls are "part of the game."  But people not in the play affecting the outcome of the game is a much worse infraction that should never happen.

Oh no I mean in regard to your second paragraph that "the only penalty they could have thrown was a 15 yard flag at the spot of the foul."

Any player or coach who comes off of the sideline and disrupts the play falls under this act and the other team would be given a TD in this case.

That's what would/should have happened in this case, had the referee seen the interference.

Oh no I mean in regard to your second paragraph that "the only penalty they could have thrown was a 15 yard flag at the spot of the foul."

Any player or coach who comes off of the sideline and disrupts the play falls under this act and the other team would be given a TD in this case.

That's what would/should have happened in this case, had the referee seen the interference.

Oh, my mistake.  But yeah, I think that's the only way you can rectify the infraction.  If there's a better way, I don't know what it is. 

In most situations, I would see this as an innocuous mistake, and chalk it up to a lack of attention on the coaches part. It may still be just that, but knowing the history and antagonistic relationship that exists between Pitt and Baltimore makes it a tad bit more suspect in my mind. It should have been flagged, and the fine is not exorbitant at all, IMO.

I think they made too big of a deal about this. He clearly wasn't in the way to effect Jones' run, if I were Jones I would have simply mowed him down and kept on running.

I don't know Bogie if Jones tried that the refs would probably throw the flag & call "unnecessary roughness" on him these days.  haha

I say that because there is no way Jones could avoid Tomlin if he chose not to alter his running lane or slow down. 

This in some ways is worse than spy gate.  Spy gate was supposedly about trying to figure out another team's signals to try to anticipate what play the offense will call so the Pats can tell their defense how to line up.  But the Defense still has to try to figure out how to execute the play so it's no guarantee it will be a success.  It's sort of like card counting while playing Blackjack.  It was more about the law of averages.

Tomlingate is about a coach who physically used his own body on the field of play to deliberately try to influence either the outcome of a game or a single play right on live tv which could have caused an injury to the player or himself or both.  That is more direct, malicious and in your face than using a video camera is.

Whether or not you think what Tomlin did was juvenile or serious.  The bottom line is the NFL needs to come down hard on Tomlin and the Steelers to make a statement so that current and future coaches will never even try this act again for fear that the penalties will be severe.

Are you saying or rather inferring that what Mike Tomlin did is more egregious than Spygate itself? I highly doubt that both acts on the same level of "alleged" cheating. 1 deliberate act does not carry the same weight as multiple video footage recorded on tape. It's a question of quantity, frequency, & scope. 

I still believe that BB misinterpreted the NFL rules in reference to Spygate, but it is laughable to put 1 Mike Tomlin mistake on par with what happened in NE. It's not a fair comparison at all.  You have a vivid imagination Pats fan. I will give you that. 

That's the one part about this that is frequently commented on that I think is irrelevant, if not backwards.

I reserve my biggest grins for when I've made an absolute fool of myself. Facial expression proves nothing.

The problem, however, is that he had no business being in the white area much less nudging the field, and the "looking over the shoulder" image well before bothering to move is pretty damning. The fine seems a bit excessive, and the idea of draft picks seems ridiculous, but SOME punishment is certainly in order.

I think the possible draft pick loss is completely ridiculous.    Way too severe.

I'm fine with the fine.    And I'd be OK if they suspended Tomlin for a game.  (and he lost the game check as well)

But draft picks too?     Please....   at some point,  enough is enough and they've beaten this dead horse enough!

I think the possible draft pick loss is completely ridiculous.    Way too severe.

I'm fine with the fine.    And I'd be OK if they suspended Tomlin for a game.  (and he lost the game check as well)

But draft picks too?     Please....   at some point,  enough is enough and they've beaten this dead horse enough!

Couple of thoughts here:

The taking of draft pick seems to be pretty standard for HC violations - Pats were docked a first rounder and the Saints surrendered picks as well.

I think as a HC you have to be smarter here. That game was HUGE btw two teams fighting for a WC spot. Had the Ravens lost that game which was in doubt until the final play, the league would have a huge mess on its hands.

The fact that Tomlin not only did it but smiled after it incriminated him before he ever tried to explain.

You have to send a strong message to keep others from even thinking of doing something so foolish.

Lastly, I wonder what the Steelers org will do to him. This has been a horrible season for the Steelers who also missed the post-season last year. There have been rumors that Bens want out and now Tomlin embarrasses the franchise. Have to think major changes are coming this off-season.

Couple of thoughts here:

The taking of draft pick seems to be pretty standard for HC violations - Pats were docked a first rounder and the Saints surrendered picks as well.

I think as a HC you have to be smarter here. That game was HUGE btw two teams fighting for a WC spot. Had the Ravens lost that game which was in doubt until the final play, the league would have a huge mess on its hands.

The fact that Tomlin not only did it but smiled after it incriminated him before he ever tried to explain.

You have to send a strong message to keep others from even thinking of doing something so foolish.

Lastly, I wonder what the Steelers org will do to him. This has been a horrible season for the Steelers who also missed the post-season last year. There have been rumors that Bens want out and now Tomlin embarrasses the franchise. Have to think major changes are coming this off-season.

Totally, 100 % agree !

Couple of thoughts here:

The Rooney's don't fire coaches. if that's what you're implying.