Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Stadium Noise: Unfortunate acoustics or lazy fans?

ricker182

I usually make it to 3-4 games a season and have noticed a huge drop-off in crowd noise the past few seasons. When we are on defense I see way too many people sitting down making NO NOISE! I wonder if it's a lack of motivation because it never really gets very loud at LOS or if LOS has bad acoustics (for crowd noise).

The thing is I don't think it's bad acoustics. Just this past Sunday during Tennessee's last drive it got very loud in LOS; it was almost deafening (close to RCA Dome loud).  

I wasn't at the Denver game but those who were could probably add that it was very loud when Peyton was under center.

Is there any way for the Colts to make a concerted effort (besides the "Get Loud" promos) to get the fans into the game on EVERY defensive play? I feel like we are at a disadvantage against other teams by not having that 12th man advantage. 

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have never been to a game at LOS, but most fans dont look to stand up and make noise but rather sit in there chairs, Most fans I think just seem to go to get a look at some of our bigger name players....Luck, Mathis...rather then being real interested in the game itself, Frustrating to see that. Wish I could afford tickets

The problem is the vast majority that attend or actually show up are 'white collar types' and not your everyday 'blue collar' lunch pail person. They come from AVON, CARMEL, NORA, GEIST and other fancy pants places. The noise will always be a problem.

It can get loud in there......doesn't compare to the RCA dome though. In the dome, you were right on top of the field........LOS is ridiculously large. The acoustics definitely play a role. It is hard to keep a crazy atmosphere when your team hasn't scored a first half TD since the Broncos game.

The problem is the vast majority that attend or actually show up are 'white collar types' and not your everyday 'blue collar' lunch pail person. They come from AVON, CARMEL, NORA, GEIST and other fancy pants places. The noise will always be a problem.

You think Avon and Nora are fancy pants places?  Uh, no.

I think it's the building.  The Dome was known for getting loud and the fans didn't change.  I think I read some where you could fit two and 1/2 RCA Domes in LOS.  There is just a lot more space in LOS for the noise to go. 

Also the dome acted as a parabola which reflected the sound back down to the field.

The problem is the vast majority that attend or actually show up are 'white collar types' and not your everyday 'blue collar' lunch pail person. They come from AVON, CARMEL, NORA, GEIST and other fancy pants places. The noise will always be a problem.

Wth?

Its a combination ... acoustics + people aren't seeing the "decibel payoff" for the effort that they did at RCA.  Been to games at both places and the amount(effort) of noise/screaming that it takes to make it "loud" in LOS would have made it "hurt your eardrums deafening" in RCA. 

The problem is the vast majority that attend or actually show up are 'white collar types' and not your everyday 'blue collar' lunch pail person. They come from AVON, CARMEL, NORA, GEIST and other fancy pants places. The noise will always be a problem.

I have no idea where those places are or their apparent affluence but how much I or anyone else makes does not determine their fan level. Just ludicrous.

I can't be a fan because I have made a good living for myself? I don't scream and yell as much as you do because I am a white collar worker?

Wow, just W.O.W.

I have no idea where those places are or their apparent affluence but how much I or anyone else makes does not determine their fan level. Just ludicrous.

I can't be a fan because I have made a good living for myself? I don't scream and yell as much as you do because I am a white collar worker?

Wow, just W.O.W.

Calm down. It wasn't meant as a slight and i apologize, if it offended. I was just looking at the socioeconomic backgrounds of the people/fans that usually attend our games. The majority tend to be white collar. Its just a study in human behaviour based on this.

Having moved through several sections in our attempt to upgrade our season tix, my experience has been that the effort put into cheering definitely goes down as the seat price goes up. Not saying it makes anybody less or more of a fan. I like to stand and be loud but I am definitely the minority in my current section. Some days it is frustrating. One game we were up by 3 in fourth quarter. Opponent had a third and short. I was standing and hollering my heart out. The fan behind me taps my shoulder and asks me to sit down cuz he can't see. Although I didn't respond to him, I really wanted to say that if that's how he feels, next year he needs to buy a seat more expensive then mine.

Having moved through several sections in our attempt to upgrade our season tix, my experience has been that the effort put into cheering definitely goes down as the seat price goes up. Not saying it makes anybody less or more of a fan. I like to stand and be loud but I am definitely the minority in my current section. Some days it is frustrating. One game we were up by 3 in fourth quarter. Opponent had a third and short. I was standing and hollering my heart out. The fan behind me taps my shoulder and asks me to sit down cuz he can't see. Although I didn't respond to him, I really wanted to say that if that's how he feels, next year he needs to buy a seat more expensive then mine.

Get LOUD and PROUD DOC for our COLTS!!!

yeah

Colts fans are pretty bad in comparison to most franchises

I can see both sides of this issue ... its frustrating when people do not get into it and crank up the noise for crucial plays, big 3rd downs, etc ... but it is also annoying to sit behind someone who insists on standing the the entire game or drunkenly yelling at the refs for even the most obvious correct calls.

I usually make it to 3-4 games a season and have noticed a huge drop-off in crowd noise the past few seasons. When we are on defense I see way too many people sitting down making NO NOISE! I wonder if it's a lack of motivation because it never really gets very loud at LOS or if LOS has bad acoustics (for crowd noise).

The thing is I don't think it's bad acoustics. Just this past Sunday during Tennessee's last drive it got very loud in LOS; it was almost deafening (close to RCA Dome loud).  

I wasn't at the Denver game but those who were could probably add that it was very loud when Peyton was under center.

Is there any way for the Colts to make a concerted effort (besides the "Get Loud" promos) to get the fans into the game on EVERY defensive play? I feel like we are at a disadvantage against other teams by not having that 12th man advantage. 

It was CRAZY loud at the Denver game.

I remember just going to a preseason game (Browns) this year and was getting pretty into it. I wasn't being obnoxious, cussing but was somewhat getting into it and I could tell I was ticking some of the fans off which was ridiculous. Perhaps my voice is earth shattering, haha.

Similar to the IU game where they beat Kentucky couple years ago, and some of the older IU fans kept asking my buddies and I to sit down because we were blocking their view but yet we were practically sitting the whole time. When Watford hit the three for the win they just still continued to sit there acting unenthusiastic.

It's almost as if you don't want to get involved in the game, don't go to the games.

I've sat next to some very fun, exciting people @ the games. But sometimes get stuck next to people who seem snuddy, and stuck up which happens to be the case when many times.

I have never been to a game at LOS, but most fans dont look to stand up and make noise but rather sit in there chairs, Most fans I think just seem to go to get a look at some of our bigger name players....Luck, Mathis...rather then being real interested in the game itself, Frustrating to see that. Wish I could afford tickets

1) Probably should actually step foot inside the stadium before making such comments.

2) The notion that Colts fans at LOS are not interested in the game is just ridiculous

Guest TeamLoloJones

You really need to go to a game.  Beautiful place.  Maybe a preseason game?

The 1pm kickoffs hurt a bit. From oobservations at this week's game...the crowd took a while to get into the game. But by the 2nd quarter forth it was pretty loud. There is always a lull in the action at the beginning of the 3rd quarter. People are still at the half time concession stands. The stands aren't full until mid 3rd quarter.

have you been to an away game?

Green Bay, Atlanta, Arizona, New England, Carolina, San Diego, San Francisco, Tennessee, Kansas City, Cincinnati & Detroit - so yes I have been to away games. And I have never once left an opposing stadium thinking how much better their fans were vs. Colts fans.

1) Probably should actually step foot inside the stadium before making such comments.

2) The notion that Colts fans at LOS are not interested in the game is just ridiculous

1.Im sure there is a difference then me watching on tv rather then going to the game but still you can see many fans on camera  as it scans the crowd and takes shots of the crowd that are sitting there seemingly trying to figure out whats going on

2.No its not..... many fans go to colts football games and cant tell you the difference in a First Down and a TD, Many just go to see Andrew Luck or Reggie Wayne.....Not condemning them because some of them begin to follow more then just a player but the team

It really is a library in comparison to a lot of NFL stadiums. I'll be at the game in Cincy, it'll be waaaay louder, the whole time (despite not having a roof to close). The no-tailgaiting thing at LOS really grinds my gears as well. Actually, is it still that way, or did that change (haven't been in a couple years)?

Going to a game at LOS just isn't the rowdy experience I pay for and expect when I go to an NFL game. That Denver game was rockin' though, I can give credit when credit's due.

1.Im sure there is a difference then me watching on tv rather then going to the game but still you can see many fans on camera  as it scans the crowd and takes shots of the crowd that are sitting there seemingly trying to figure out whats going on

2.No its not..... many fans go to colts football games and cant tell you the difference in a First Down and a TD, Many just go to see Andrew Luck or Reggie Wayne.....Not condemning them because some of them begin to follow more then just a player but the team

You followed up a bad post with a worse one. Both statements are once again just simply uninformed and frankly just silly.

It really is a library in comparison to a lot of NFL stadiums. I'll be at the game in Cincy, it'll be waaaay louder, the whole time (despite not having a roof to close). The no-tailgaiting thing at LOS really grinds my gears as well. Actually, is it still that way, or did that change (haven't been in a couple years)?

Going to a game at LOS just isn't the rowdy experience I pay for and expect when I go to an NFL game. That Denver game was rockin' though, I can give credit when credit's due.

I have been to several away games and like I said in a previous post, the experience is not markedly different in Indy than those other places.

And if you could not find a tailgate while in Indy, you weren't looking. There are lots all over that have regular tailgating.