Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Rob Gronkowski best TE ever?

James Harden

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest TeamLoloJones

Exactly. He plays at WR more than he does TE.

I wonder if the Saints try and put the franchise tag on Graham, will he fight the TE distinction?  If he does get tagged he deserves WR money, not TE money.

Being first to do something isn't enough to put you in an elite club in most cases, but as far as tight ends go after Gonzalez, Sharpe has like 800+ catches. Then the next level of receptions is in the 600+ range. The guy has taken pass catching ends to a whole new level. Longevity certainly doesn't hurt either.

You guys need to consider it was more of a running game back then, and how defensive backs and linebackers could mug the tight ends in those days. You didn't have the baby rules that favor the offense like you do now.

I wonder if the Saints try and put the franchise tag on Graham, will he fight the TE distinction? If he does get tagged he deserves WR money, not TE money.

I remember the same thing happened with Terrell Suggs one season. He basically played DE 50% of the time and OLB 50% of the time and he was inevitably tagged as an OLB. Of course this tag paid less than DE so he fought it and inevitably his tag was changed to "defensive-end-linebacker" and he was paid an extra half a million in his tag. I wouldn't be suprised to see Graham get a designation like "WR-TE"

John Mackey if you know one thing about the position.

he still has one of the best ever TD runs after the catch i ever saw, breaking more tackles Vs Mutilple defenders at one time , and doing iut quite a few times during that long TD YAC run

he cuaght , blocked for Unitas , did it all , there is a resaon College has a Mackey award for best TE

Guest TeamLoloJones

I remember the same thing happened with Terrell Suggs one season. He basically played DE 50% of the time and OLB 50% of the time and he was inevitably tagged as an OLB. Of course this tag paid less than DE so he fought it and inevitably his tag was changed to "defensive-end-linebacker" and he was paid an extra half a million in his tag. I wouldn't be suprised to see Graham get a designation like "WR-TE"

Saints could avoid all that if they just lock him up for 4-5 years, which is what they should do.  But yeah, I think you're right.  Graham should get WR-TE tag.

Guest TeamLoloJones

Gronk is very good, but I'd rather have Jimmy Graham on one foot.

Gronk is one of the best blockers in the league, and I don't think Graham knows that it's legal to block.

Gronk is one of the best blockers in the league, and I don't think Graham knows that it's legal to block.

Jimmy Graham is a weapon you worry about. Gronkowski is good, but not one to lose sleep over. And he isn't grading very well as a run blocker this season anyway.

That's fine,but my point was you can't have a discussion about the greatest TE's ever without mentioning Makey.  It's disrespectful to the game.  Just like when you talk about greatest QBs ever and don't mention Otto Graham or Unitas.

Very True.  I would agree that Makey came around when receiving TE came into the league. Gotta always add the best when in discussion for greatness.

He's broke his arm. He has not played long enough for us to know if he's injury prone or the greatest TE ever. 

This exactly.

I understand everyone has their opinion, and it's fun conversation, but I really have a difficult time understanding why Gronk is being considered now. It's very early in his career.

I also really don't understand the trans era arguments.

Yes, Mackey would be too small to play TE today.

But if Gronk played in the 60's he'd be a T, or interior DL.

Please, take each era for what they were.

For all phases of the TE position I believe Mark Bavaro deserves mention.

He was a devastating blocker as well as a very good receiving TE and played a big part in the Giants two Super Bowl wins during his 5 seasons with them.

Mark Bavaro was known for his blocking, toughness, and receiving. His nickname was Rambo for his intense playing style or it could just be that he resembles Sylvester Stallone haha

Lol im sure every DC in the NFL would disagree with you.

I see you don't disagree re: gronkowski blocking the run.

Graham is the better player in the passing game imo, and Gronk isn't blocking that well anyway.

Gronk is good. Not better than mackay, casper, sharpe, gonzalez, bavaro, winslow, ditka, gates, sanders, christensen, newsome etc. Probably forgetting some.

This thread is massively premature.

I see you don't disagree re: gronkowski blocking the run.

Graham is the better player in the passing game imo, and Gronk isn't blocking that well anyway.

Gronk is good. Not better than mackay, casper, sharpe, gonzalez, bavaro, winslow, ditka, gates, sanders, christensen, newsome etc. Probably forgetting some.

This thread is massively premature.

His blocking isn't on par with his other years, but I expet him to improve to his normal form before he end of the season.

Gronk has better hands, is better at breaking tackles, and better at getting YAC.

Graham is a beter deep threat, but that's about it.

Would've been a nice comeback if it was true, though. Odd, my memory of that game is shaky for some horrible, repressed reason...

He wasn't there. Graham was drafted in 2010, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jimmy_Graham

Shockey was the tight end in the SB in 2009.

Of course Gronk made it to the SB in 2011 and led the league in receptions in TDs that year so that puts him ahead of Graham if you want to use the achievement card.

At the beginning of the season I was listening to CBS breakdown fantasy TE's for this year and they said that this may be the last year Graham is a TE. I dont know the current breakdown but according to CBS he will more than likely fall into the WR category next year based on the % of snaps he is set wide. This makes sense with what you said about Suggs.

Back on topic; Gronk is the most talented TE Ive ever seen but he needs to be productive a lot more than 2.5 years to be in the discussion.

As you all know, the Gronk is widely considered as the best TE in the league. The Gronk is the first TE in NFL history with 3 consecutive seasons with at least 10 touchdowns. In 2011 he set the records with most receiving yards(1,327) and most receiving touchdowns (17) by a TE in a single season. I am considering him as the best TE ever in NFL history.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ut3RWuH2G_8 

There are two playing now who are clearly better. Gonzales and Jimmy Graham.   :36dancing:

SW1 always thought Shannon Sharpe was the best TE I have ever seen. A great smack talker too who always backed up his bravado on the field. 

Shannon in his prime would leave Gronk in the dust. I respect Gronk, but Sharpe knew how to mess with his defender's psyche & confidence. Gronk doesn't have that crucial skill in his offensive arsenal. 

I can't imagine trying to decipher anything Shannon Sharpe would say with a mouth piece in. He's hard enough to understand with a mic under his mouth! 

Best TE in the league?

Uh, no....I'd take Jimmy Graham over him.

Best TE ever....seriously?

I can name tons of TE's that were just as good as him if not better back in the days the passing game wasn't favored.

Does anyone besides me remember Jay Novacek, Brent Jones, Ozzie Newsome, or Mark Chmura?

Best TE in the league?

Uh, no....I'd take Jimmy Graham over him.

Best TE ever....seriously?

I can name tons of TE's that were just as good as him if not better back in the days the passing game wasn't favored.

Does anyone besides me remember Jay Novacek, Brent Jones, Ozzie Newsome, or Mark Chmura?

Gronk is more talented than all the guys you just named

You guys need to consider it was more of a running game back then, and how defensive backs and linebackers could mug the tight ends in those days. You didn't have the baby rules that favor the offense like you do now.

I'm well aware of how times have changed... the league like the universe is ever evolving.