Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Rob Gronkowski best TE ever?

James Harden

As you all know, the Gronk is widely considered as the best TE in the league. The Gronk is the first TE in NFL history with 3 consecutive seasons with at least 10 touchdowns. In 2011 he set the records with most receiving yards(1,327) and most receiving touchdowns (17) by a TE in a single season. I am considering him as the best TE ever in NFL history.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ut3RWuH2G_8 

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

SW1 always thought Shannon Sharpe was the best TE I have ever seen. A great smack talker too who always backed up his bravado on the field. 

Shannon in his prime would leave Gronk in the dust. I respect Gronk, but Sharpe knew how to mess with his defender's psyche & confidence. Gronk doesn't have that crucial skill in his offensive arsenal. 

I think Gronk could end up being the greatest. He is on pace to break every record but much depends on his health. In today's game, he is the first TE I would pick for my team. Not only is he a huge threat receiving but he is a great blocker as well. He can do it all.

In terms of all time great, I would put Shannon Sharpe first. He changed the position and was a beast.

Graham better than Gronk? That's laughable.

There have been a lot of great TE's over the years and Gronk can certainly be in that discussion after he gets several more years under his belt. Gronk is very, very good in all phases of the game but at this point he's not even the best TE in Patriot history. Francis and Coates head that list for the time being.

Guest TeamLoloJones

Don't forget Kellen Winslow SR. He helped revolutionize the position, And you also have to consider Antonio Gates as well.

Kellen Winslow was great, but he in no way revolutionized the position.  That was done by John Mackey.  There was no such thing as a receiving tight end until Mackey.

Different eras . On top of everything else, Gronk is too injury prone to be in greatest ever argument , although he is a very good tight end.

He's broke his arm. He has not played long enough for us to know if he's injury prone or the greatest TE ever. 

Guest TeamLoloJones

John Mackey was great in his time but he's not even in the conversation. He was 6'2" and 225 lbs. He'd get rolled on every play.

We can argue all day who is the best TE ever.  Mackey may not be the best ever, but saying he's not even in the conversation is pretty ridiculous.

We can argue all day who is the best TE ever.  Mackey may not be the best ever, but saying he's not even in the conversation is pretty ridiculous.

There are a lot of TE I would put ahead of him.

I'll recant that. I never even saw the guy play. Did you?

Guest TeamLoloJones

There are a lot of TE I would put ahead of him.

That's fine,but my point was you can't have a discussion about the greatest TE's ever without mentioning Makey.  It's disrespectful to the game.  Just like when you talk about greatest QBs ever and don't mention Otto Graham or Unitas.

That's fine,but my point was you can't have a discussion about the greatest TE's ever without mentioning Makey. It's disrespectful to the game. Just like when you talk about greatest QBs ever and don't mention Otto Graham or Unitas.

These are the new era guys, like the new era hats, that haven't studied NFL history. Gronk being the greatest ever after a few seasons is absurd.

Sports Illustrated, among others, universally have Mackey and Sharpe as one and two. SI has Patriot Ben Coates # 10 , so let's have Gronk pass him first before we get to the big dogs.

I edited my post. Sorry. I did say earlier that Gronk isn't even the Patriots best TE ever.  

Guest TeamLoloJones

Sports Illustrated, among others, universally have Mackey and Sharpe as one and two. SI has Patriot Ben Coates # 10 , so let's have Gronk pass him first before we get to the big dogs.

Without Mackey, there is no Tony G. or Gronk.  Just like with no Unitas, there is no Peyton Manning, or Tom Brady.

Jimmy Graham has only played football for 5 years. He's a freak. I would probably go with him

over Gronkowksi due to his injury history. We'll see if either can put up the same numbers when their all time great QB's retire. Tony Gonzalez is the greatest ever, because his numbers have come from crap QB's

I've never agreed that being the first at something makes you the greatest.

The answer is TonyG.

If you believe Rice to be the goat then you have to believe its Tony.

Being first to do something isn't enough to put you in an elite club in most cases, but as far as tight ends go after Gonzalez, Sharpe has like 800+ catches. Then the next level of receptions is in the 600+ range. The guy has taken pass catching ends to a whole new level. Longevity certainly doesn't hurt either.