Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Roster Moves

Everyone

The addition of Cunningham might means that someone else (Doyle, Saunders) is dealing with some kind of minor injury.

As for Rogers... Colts don't want to put 5-9, 173 Hilton on 6-1, 219 Peterson and slow Whalen on Mathieu in the slot. Maybe they want to put Hilton against Mathieu and somebody who is faster and bigger against Peterson? Fleener and Hilton down the seam?

When they played Atlanta, Peterson was even covering Tony G for a while. I love TY, but he's never had to go up against someone who is faster and just as quick as Peterson is. I have a feeling Peterson will be draped on TY most of the game, no matter where he lines up. The Card's secondary is very good, and we'll need to run the ball down their throats if we want to win this game. Maybe that's why they brought up extra TE's to spell them as well and maybe use Fleener outside, as I said before, to try to create mismatches, a la Graham and V Davis. I don't like the following thought, but I think Luck's going to be running a lot more this week than we have seen before...

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

As has been pointed out, Whalen has the 4th worst drop rate among WR in the NFL, making him decidedly one of the least sure handed recievers in the entire league.

Pointed out by who?  Heres a breakdown of the games

Vs. Titans

1st Target:  Defender had hands inside and batted the ball out

2nd Target: Caught

3rd Target: Overthrown

Vs Rams

1st thru 3rd Targets: Caught

4th Target: Overthrown in Endzone, uncatchable, could have also been a PI call

5th Target: Defender had hands inside and batted away

Something of note:  Was open Numerous times with lots of separation

Vs. Texans

1st Target: Caught

2nd Target: Underthrown/uncatchable in the dirt

3rd Target: Dropped but thrown behind.  So much so he had to fall backwards to even have a chance to get it.

4th Target: In the Dirt and way short

5th Target: Thrown high and behind with double coverage

6th Target: Caught with defender

7th Target: Thrown behind, uncatchable

8th Target: Legitimate drop

9th Target: Caught

Of note: Open several times with separation.

So please tell me again how he is not sure handed and is 4th worst in the NFL with drops?  Heck the only updated drop rate im finding is from Nov 1st.  That is before those 3 games.  He isnt on that list. 

The love for Whalen is lost on me. He is not, and these are in no particular order, fast, quick, nor can he separate plus he does not hang onto the ball. He was a warm body that knew the system.

That's the thing, I don't "love" him! 

I think he's a decent young receiver with pretty good hands a good attitude. I think he could be a relatively good slot receiver one day.

David Reed is fast but that certainly doesn't make him better than Whalen. I'm not saying we should hang on to him and never let go. I'm just saying, I'd rather have him than Reed and it's not even close.

Doesn't really matter.  They both suck.

True but Griff Whalen hasn't made any major mistakes, he's just not very athletic and isn't getting open.

David Reed isn't athletic either . . . and he's making mistakes in the kick return game.  

He's a waste of a roster space.  He's a kick returner that rarely makes it past the 20 when he goes out and often doesn't even make it to the 20.  But he still takes it out 3/4ths of the time.

Colts could sign me I could get under it, catch it and take a knee and I would be better then freaking David Reed.  

True but Griff Whalen hasn't made any major mistakes, he's just not very athletic and isn't getting open.

Wrong...  You need to watch the Titans game again, and even the texans.  Especially on the titans game there were numerous times...nearly every time....he had 5 yard separation from his defender.  Luck just never targeted him.  Same thing in the Houston game.

As we seem to haggling a bit over drop rates, I found a website whose drop stats I find to particularly relevant as they account for bad passes and only count those that the receiver actually had a chance to catch.  In their own words - "If the ball is thrown but the receiver never gets his hands on it, it is not recorded as a drop."  I like that type of measurement. 

dropstats.jpg

As you'll note, the two players with the highest drop rates are Dominique Jones and Griff Whalen.  Not coincidentally, both players have been waived.  While I cannot vouch for the accuracy of the site (I didn't see any stats for David Reed and we all know he's caught a couple of balls this season), I do like the way they present their stats.

Pointed out by who?  Heres a breakdown of the games

Vs. Titans

1st Target:  Defender had hands inside and batted the ball out

2nd Target: Caught

3rd Target: Overthrown

Vs Rams

1st thru 3rd Targets: Caught

4th Target: Overthrown in Endzone, uncatchable, could have also been a PI call

5th Target: Defender had hands inside and batted away

Something of note:  Was open Numerous times with lots of separation

Vs. Texans

1st Target: Caught

2nd Target: Underthrown/uncatchable in the dirt

3rd Target: Dropped but thrown behind.  So much so he had to fall backwards to even have a chance to get it.

4th Target: In the Dirt and way short

5th Target: Thrown high and behind with double coverage

6th Target: Caught with defender

7th Target: Thrown behind, uncatchable

8th Target: Legitimate drop

9th Target: Caught

Of note: Open several times with separation.

So please tell me again how he is not sure handed and is 4th worst in the NFL with drops?  Heck the only updated drop rate im finding is from Nov 1st.  That is before those 3 games.  He isnt on that list. 

Gosh... looks like Luck should have been the guy that was cut.

Is that what was talked about in the team meeting yesterday coach?

Yes! I am actually an assistant to Coach Gilbert and Coach Hunter helping them train our Oline. I wasn't in the meeting in the whole time since I don't have an official title but when I was getting them coffee, I heard Coach Pagano saying " We are going to demolish the Cards secondary boys." Coach Pep yelled out "Ground and Pound baby!".I heard Cunningham name came up while I was walking out the door so basically to answer your question. Yes!

As we seem to haggling a bit over drop rates, I found a website whose drop stats I find to particularly relevant as they account for bad passes and only count those that the receiver actually had a chance to catch.  In their own words - "If the ball is thrown but the receiver never gets his hands on it, it is not recorded as a drop."  I like that type of measurement. 

dropstats.jpg

As you'll note, the two players with the highest drop rates are Dominique Jones and Griff Whalen.  Not coincidentally, both players have been waived.  While I cannot vouch for the accuracy of the site (I didn't see any stats for David Reed and we all know he's caught a couple of balls this season), I do like the way they present their stats.

dropstats.jpg

Well their stats are wrong.  They are counting drops towards targets yet say they only count catchable targets.  Whalen has only had 20 targets total.  Not all 20 were catchable. One of the drops that i saw was thrown behind him and most receivers probably wouldnt have gotten it anyways.  I did see one legitimate drop however out of his 2 drops that i did see (I used NFL rewind to rewatch the games he played in).  This is an instance of where 'you' can put numbers up to support 'your' (not you specifically) claim without having any context.  Cause by those numbers, DHB isnt that bad either.  So his number is more like 2/13 or IMO only 1/13 which would bring his total % down to 7.6

he has a lot of bad throws with no excuses,  lots of overthrows and behinds,  he was doing that a lot with ty in those games too.

I watch every Colt game and every Colt play. I failed to see all this separation you speak of. Furthermore every throw that you deem to be "off target " doesn't have  to be Luck's fault. Sometimes QB's throw a ball away and sometimes a receiver runs a bad route..no? 

Also , while I admit that Luck has made some bad throws , there is no way he made all those misfires in the amount of plays you describe in your post 162. I guess I'm saying you're making crap up.

I watch every Colt game and every Colt play. I failed to see all this separation you speak of. Furthermore every throw that you deem to be "off target " doesn't have  to be Luck's fault. Sometimes QB's throw a ball away and sometimes a receiver runs a bad route..no? 

Also , while I admit that Luck has made some bad throws , there is no way he made all those misfires in the amount of plays you describe in your post 162. I guess I'm saying you're making crap up.

NFL Rewind is a glorious thing.  Go back and watch the Titans game and watch him when hes NOT targeted.  You may watch all the games but you, like most people, probably watch the ball and do not pay attention to a specific receiver the entire game.  Go back and watch those games especially the titans.  Numerous times he had atleast 5 yards of separation between him and his defender but Luck went to his first read each time.  I described each target exactly how it went.  Again,  get NFL rewind and watch them again.

NFL Rewind is a glorious thing.  Go back and watch the Titans game and watch him when hes NOT targeted.  You may watch all the games but you, like most people, probably watch the ball and do not pay attention to a specific receiver the entire game.  Go back and watch those games especially the titans.  Numerous times he had atleast 5 yards of separation between him and his defender but Luck went to his first read each time.  I described each target exactly how it went.  Again,  get NFL rewind and watch them again.

God bless you and I'll believe you. Saying that is much less painful than watching three games in their entirety trying to chart Whalen. 

whalen isn't good and can't separate. Those are the facts

Whalen is raw for sure and has not been real good........He has been open on many instances however and Luck simply has not opted to pass him the ball instead trying to force it to another player...Usually Wayne prior to his injury

*Imagine* Rogers is reading all these posts right now on the forum and then he put tremendous pressure on himself because of all the hype and expectations he read about. Then finally on gameday, he gets the start. On the very first offensive play, Luck throw to Rogers, and then BOOM.He drop the ball.

ColtsNation would just  :Nuke:

The interview with him he doesn't seem like the type that feels nervous. He is a little cocky. If anything I would worry more about him playing well an getting a BIG GIANT HEAD! :cool: