Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Robert Mathis

Rich Cannon

Only a year and a half into a new OLB position he has transitioned well, leading the league in sacks. I was always torn in the debate of Freeney vs. Mathis and who was a better player. I opted for Freeney years back but seeing how well Mathis has trasitioned due to his athletisism and versatility, its a clear cut answer at this point. Our organization made the right choice letting Freeney go. Who else on our defensive line will step up and fill the Freeney role? I really cant name anyone else on our defense that gets a consistent push off the line. Im looking at Franklin, Redding and Werner to step it up late in the season.(Werner has been struggling with injuries but appears to be healthy now)

Robert had good success against those 2nd string tackles and really loaded up with 3 sacks against the guy that quit on his team then got traded. And it has been a joy to see a few coverage sacks from our Colts D!

And It`s always a pleasant surprise when he doesn`t get run all over. I`d take him over 3 Freeney`s for half the price.

He disapears and is shut down too much for my liking tbh. Maybe those sackless games ave been a fluke

Who does? The league leader in sacks (by 1.5)? What do you want from the guy?

He's also done this largely without a rush from the other side. Justin Houston has Tamba Hali, Robert Quinn has Chris Long, etc. Who does Mathis have? A sometimes solid run stopper with limited pass rush and a rookie learning the ropes.

Tough crowd, tough crowd!

Who does? The league leader in sacks (by 1.5)? What do you want from the guy?

He's also done this largely without a rush from the other side. Justin Houston has Tamba Hali, Robert Quinn has Chris Long, etc. Who does Mathis have? A sometimes solid run stopper with limited pass rush and a rookie learning the ropes.

Tough crowd, tough crowd!

It gets real irratating when we have no rush, especially when he is only single teamed. 

It gets real irratating when we have no rush, especially when he is only single teamed.

He has the most sacks in the NFL and is 5th in QB hurries (according to PFF), and again he has little help on the other side. What more can you ask of the guy?

Oh, and he's played the run pretty well too.

He has the most sacks in the NFL and is 5th in QB hurries (according to PFF), and again he has little help on the other side. What more can you ask of the guy?

Oh, and he's played the run pretty well too.

Couldn't agree more, he's really stepped up this season into his new role without much other help rushing the passer. Even in his sackless games he hasn't "disappeared", anyone watching the game can still see he's getting pressures on the QB at the least. Add in veteran leadership in the locker room and on the field, what's not to like.

Oh wait it's the new fad on these forums to dislike players for no apparent reason  :facepalm:

Guest TeamLoloJones

Mathis and Werner should have multiple sacks this week, Bradley Sowell is their starting LT.

Ain't no party like a Mathis sack party.

Mathis should get constant pressure this game, really anyone lined up defensive right should get pressure. Bradley Sowell is the worst starting OT in football.

Well he's been better then Levi Brown who was the biggest disaster I have ever seen. Our whole line is really bad.

Only a year and a half into a new OLB position he has transitioned well, leading the league in sacks. I was always torn in the debate of Freeney vs. Mathis and who was a better player. I opted for Freeney years back but seeing how well Mathis has trasitioned due to his athletisism and versatility, its a clear cut answer at this point. Our organization made the right choice letting Freeney go. Who else on our defensive line will step up and fill the Freeney role? I really cant name anyone else on our defense that gets a consistent push off the line. Im looking at Franklin, Redding and Werner to step it up late in the season.(Werner has been struggling with injuries but appears to be healthy now)

freeney was better than mathis

Was. But one argument that Mathis is better is due to him transitioning so smoothly to OLB, with Freeney being atrocious.

Just because he's better at a different position doesn't mean he's better overall.

And Freeney was playing very well at OLB in San diego before his injury.

Just because he's better at a different position doesn't mean he's better overall.

I didn't follow what he was doing in San Diego, so I could be wrong. Maybe it's just Mathis having his best season(sack total at least) that has me leaning towards him right now haha

He was still a liability against the run from what I saw, He had 2 tackles in 4 games and a half sack, He had plenty of pressures which are vital in the pass rush, I'd say Freeney and Mathis are pretty even, Both are great pass rushers but liabilities against the run

He was still a liability against the run from what I saw, He had 2 tackles in 4 games and a half sack, He had plenty of pressures which are vital in the pass rush, I'd say Freeney and Mathis are pretty even, Both are great pass rushers but liabilities against the run

as a pass rusher, freeney is better

Before his injury, I believe Pro Football Focus had Freeney ranked as their #1 OLB.  Take that stat how you want; some people believe PFF's rankings are good, some think they are garbage

It just depends.  If PFF's rankings support ny preconceived ideas then they are good, if they don't support my preconceived ideas then they are garbarge.