Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Patriots loss puts Colts closer to possible first round bye.

Dustin

Actually I hope we don't get a bye. Number 2 is great but let's face it, we came out flat from our bye this year. This being a young team, I think we need to have that first game to stay focused.

I think that this is very logical and right on the money. Keep the train rolling. We don't need time to sit around and think, we need to keep playing keep things active.

Yet every HC would aim for the bye week. Every time. I'll trust these guys know more than us.

Every HC wants to win their games/Division/Conference I'm certain. That doesn't necessarily mean they WANT the bye week. Head coaches of great or experienced teams that have a real possibility to go far into the playoffs I'm sure welcome the bye. Young, inexperienced playoff teams may not. They may want to keep their teams playing and possibly on a streak going into the playoffs. Depends on the teams IMO. It's like resting your players near the end of the season because those games don't mean anything. I disagree with that as well. I think you want to keep everything ticking.

Knew there would be the "just beat Arizona/one game at a time stuff." Everyone KNOWS that's true, unnecessary to state it. This is just fun prognostication. My $0.02, we don't win a SB without a bye. I think we CAN win a Super Bowl this year if we only have to win three playoff games. This team has too much inconsistency over 2-3 game spans to have faith that we'd win 4. I'm absolultely happy going to Denver for the AFC-C (IF Denver even makes the championship) game. I think Manning's health is declining each week. He rarely can hit a long ball, his o-line doesn't give him time, his arm weakens by the week, and their defense is probably the weakest of the AFC playoff contenders. Much rather that trip than to KC or Foxborah.

Denver over New England this week is a HUGE deal. We're not going 6-0 over these next 6 games, folks. I'd be elated with 4-2 and think that's very possible. We need New England to drop two more and after Denver game this weekend, they've got favorable games over the last five. Do think we have to beat Cincy in early December to lock up a 2 seed.

Every HC wants to win their games/Division/Conference I'm certain. That doesn't necessarily mean they WANT the bye week. Head coaches of great or experienced teams that have a real possibility to go far into the playoffs I'm sure welcome the bye. Young, inexperienced playoff teams may not. They may want to keep their teams playing and possibly on a streak going into the playoffs. Depends on the teams IMO. It's like resting your players near the end of the season because those games don't mean anything. I disagree with that as well. I think you want to keep everything ticking.

I concur re resting the starters. If you have a game, play it to win. But the risk of losing a game, and the injuries you may get, instead of enjoying a week off are just not enough for me. But I do like 'momentum', even if Polian doesn't. And what we wish for is irrelevant, and in Peyton's words in 2006/7 - "be careful what you wish for"......

Actually I hope we don't get a bye. Number 2 is great but let's face it, we came out flat from our bye this year. This being a young team, I think we need to have that first game to stay focused.

I agree, but its funny how all the years of getting the first round byes in the playoffs, then getting swiftly eliminated has Indy fans programmed to think this way...

I concur re resting the starters. If you have a game, play it to win. But the risk of losing a game, and the injuries you may get, instead of enjoying a week off are just not enough for me. But I do like 'momentum', even if Polian doesn't. And what we wish for is irrelevant, and in Peyton's words in 2006/7 - "be careful what you wish for"......

Jets?

They want a bye week.  Gives the guys with nicks and minor injuries to get some rest.  The two thinsg that always make for a superbowl team, no matter how bad they are (and by bad, I mean, good enough to get into the playoffs, but not a clear favorite), and that's (1) get hot at the right time and (2) get healthy at the right time.

A healthy team can always get hot.  A hot team can't always get healthy.

Excessively resting players when you have a first round bye is.....let's just say it's unwise. Never understood that.

Knew there would be the "just beat Arizona/one game at a time stuff." Everyone KNOWS that's true, unnecessary to state it. This is just fun prognostication. My $0.02, we don't win a SB without a bye. I think we CAN win a Super Bowl this year if we only have to win three playoff games. This team has too much inconsistency over 2-3 game spans to have faith that we'd win 4. I'm absolultely happy going to Denver for the AFC-C (IF Denver even makes the championship) game. I think Manning's health is declining each week. He rarely can hit a long ball, his o-line doesn't give him time, his arm weakens by the week, and their defense is probably the weakest of the AFC playoff contenders. Much rather that trip than to KC or Foxborah.

Denver over New England this week is a HUGE deal. We're not going 6-0 over these next 6 games, folks. I'd be elated with 4-2 and think that's very possible. We need New England to drop two more and after Denver game this weekend, they've got favorable games over the last five. Do think we have to beat Cincy in early December to lock up a 2 seed.

With a bye, we'd only need to win 2 to get to the big game. Anyone who wants to play an extra game is off their rocker.

which of the 3 road games remaining will we win.

Probably this Sunday

Realistically, I think we can win 2 out of the 3 remaining road games with KC being a loss.  Breaking down our remaining schedules (Colts vs Pats)

Colts: @ AZ, TEN, @ CIN, HOU, @ KC, JAX

Pats: DEN, @ HOU, CLE, @ MIA, @ BAL, BUF

I don't see Indy or NE running the table, but things will really get interesting if NE beats Den, and Den then beats KC again.  You could possibly have 4 teams still in the running for a #1 seed by the time we play KC in week 16.

I'd honesty rather us get the two seed and face New England. I don't like the idea of Denver coming back here for a playoff game. I think Peyton would light us up the second time around. Would rather see them in Denver for the AFC championship where the pressure falls all on them and weather will likely be a factor.

With a bye, we'd only need to win 2 to get to the big game. Anyone who wants to play an extra game is off their rocker.

You missed me there. I'm not on any rocker. My statement about winning "3 playoff games" was inclusive of the Super Bowl. Not articulated well, but intended nonetheless.

No  No..you always want a bye week...to rest your injuries...and because of simple reality.

If you have a choice between winning 2 to get to the Super Bowl or winning 3...you have to take the 2-game path...You just have to

Honestly I dont want it. When has the bye ever worked besides the one year we lost to NO in the SB? Ide rather a wildcard home game then beat 18 in DEN then the other game is an upset too & we get an AFC championship home game.

Doesn't matter what happened previously. Not having to play a game is always better. Having only to win 2 to get to the SB is always better. Having a home game for a chance at the AFC Championship is always better. 

"first round bye"...funniest thing I have heard in a while....not with this decimated lineup...our 'next man up' is just a guy.

With Reggie, Allen, Bradshaw maybe...but not with this roster...too much talent lost.

And yet if the season ended today, The Colts would be the number 2 seed with a first round bye. They control their own destiny in regards to getting it.

Your entire premise of it being outlandish is flawed.

And yet if the season ended today, The Colts would be the number 2 seed with a first round bye. They control their own destiny in regards to getting it.

Your entire premise of it being outlandish is flawed.

OK...it's 'outlandish'....just watch the results of this game and the other 2 road games.

Honestly I dont want it. When has the bye ever worked besides the one year we lost to NO in the SB? Ide rather a wildcard home game then beat 18 in DEN then the other game is an upset too & we get an AFC championship home game.

I think a lot of that had to do with the previous regime's insistence on resting players after clinching the bye. A foolish approach IMO.

I'd honesty rather us get the two seed and face New England. I don't like the idea of Denver coming back here for a playoff game. I think Peyton would light us up the second time around. Would rather see them in Denver for the AFC championship where the pressure falls all on them and weather will likely be a factor.

I'm not sure I'd wanna play New England. With Gronk back and vareen. Their offense is still dangerous. Just the fact that they have Brady makes it dangerous. Plus they can run the ball to. And despite their D being banged up like it is, they are still not too bad defensively. NE is always scary.

I think a lot of that had to do with the previous regime's insistence on resting players after clinching the bye. A foolish approach IMO.

Yeah, once seeding was clinched, Polian ordered that all games be treated with preseason gloves. Any and all momentum was lost, and the team came out rusty because of it.

Lets not even get started on the disservice it was to people who bought regular season tickets and got a pre season game.

This concept of not wanting a bye baffles me. It is not the same as resting a team when a playoff spot is knocked out. It is a free pass into the second stage of the playoffs, do people think the Wilcard games are a gimme?

Forget players having an extra week to rest, forget players with injuries getting time to recover, forget the extra week it gives you to game plan. It is a free win, simple as that, and you take that 100% of the time.

What?  7 teams in the history of the Super Bowl era have won the Super Bowl after playing a Wildcard game, that is 7 in 46.

Please stop with this nonsense.

Beat me to the punch, would be interesting to see the breakdown of winners per seed as well though, as in how many times has the #1 seed in conference won etc. 

It get's aggravating when people make statements they aren't at least willing to try and defend when proof/opinion to the contrary is laid before them. Again I believe it's a sign of modern times that you can make Baylessiest statements without ever having to provide any substance to them :P