Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Tom Zbikowski

1959Colts

Here is a great interview with former Colt safety Tom Zibikowski:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/football/bears/ct-spt-1117-haugh-bears-chicago-20131117,0,6267128.column

I always wondered why he played so poorly for Indy?

Well, Zibs says its because he was drinking heavy.

He is now planing to become a fireman:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/11/17/retired-from-the-nfl-tom-zbikowski-to-become-a-firefighter/

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/ravens/bal-former-ravens-safety-tom-zbikowski-happy-out-of-football-20131116,0,7428772.story

I think it's the same Tribune Newspapers article.

It's frustrating that he was horrible as a Colt because of alcohol bloat, being hungover on game day and flat out not caring. He was only there for the paycheck. Well I'm glad he's out of football then, he didn't seem to like it very much. Hopefully he'll like firefighting enough that he won't start drinking to numb the ache there too. :rollseyes:

I can't read it either but as a fellow friend of Bill W. I'm pleased that he has gotten on the straight & narrow & I wish him all success in his new, noble chosen proffession.

I dont know about Zibs on the "straight and narrow"?

They mention he was drinking a beer as he was giving the interview!

Mhhm it was pretty clear he quit here in Indy...He also quit towards the end in Baltimore, There was even an article in which he stated that he took his starting role he had for a bit for granted in Baltimore....Well best of luck to him going forward, seems like a nice guy. Wish him the best of happiness

I went to the Browns game last year with a friend who is a ND fan. I told him how bad Zibs was playing. Then he went out and had his best game of the year.

So was this when he was drinking or sober?

Meh he had 2 tackles in that game....1 of which was assisted and 2 passes defensed, I think he was drunk when we played Buffalo last year......He had 5 tackles 1 pass defensed and 1 pick........I think the knew phrase should be instead of "couldn't play dead" it should be "Cant play sober"

Meh he had 2 tackles in that game....1 of which was assisted and 2 passes defensed, I think he was drunk when we played Buffalo last year......He had 5 tackles 1 pass defensed and 1 pick........I think the knew phrase should be instead of "couldn't play dead" it should be "Cant play sober"

No, stats don't always tell the story. He was a noticeable contributor. He had a great game, and for once he didn't look lost. We're you there? It's a lot different watching the D in person.

Either way, I wish him luck in his new life. I suspect he'll be taking more tests now than he did as a pro. Hope he keeps the sober life going. He has to know that beer can't be good for someone with an addictive personality.

Sounds like he caught his binge drinking in time...some can, some cant. As an ND fan, I loved him as a hard nosed player there. As a Colts fan, I was frustrated by his poor play. Now we know at least partially why. Hopefully he can stay on the right side of things and make it as a firefighter.

Every Cop or Fireman I have known were fish...

just saying...

Yes, but they were already a cop or fireman.  Some drink because they have no control, some drink to cope with the stressors of the job. I'm not going to argue that fact.  

Zbis isn't a fireman yet, and he showed he couldn't cope with the stress of the NFL, how is he going to cope with a realities of being a firefighter?  In my opinion, the red flags are already there. 

And according to CFD guys, there hasn't been a test in 8 years, so I don't know how he's going to be going to an academy any time soon.