Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Caldwell/coaching (Merge)

number28

• Replies 555
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And the coaching staff is certainly moving in that direction. Improved run game and improved run defense is evidence to that. Drake Nevis anyone?

Can't makeover a team in a few weeks.

Your right you cant.. but you can over years and the colts should have been doing that from the start when they saw they couldnt stop the run.. yet they just kept on playing like it would be fixed by gap assignments and all that.... that wont help a player from being pancaked, this change came a little bit too late because he the colts had started this at least half a decade ago things right now would be alot different.

would you quit missing my point. if there not doing anything for us anymore how were they good decisions by the coaching staff

Because they populated the team with the depth. They scouted and put them on the team.

The coaching staff put together a team capable of winning games and getting us into the playoffs. They had a pool of all potential players to put on the team, and picked the ones with the best talent. They (again) gave Manning the weapons to work with.

Because they populated the team with the depth. They scouted and put them on the team.

The coaching staff put together a team capable of winning games and getting us into the playoffs. They had a pool of all potential players to put on the team, and picked the ones with the best talent. They (again) gave Manning the weapons to work with.

so if there so good at finding talent why is everything falling apart. you mean to tell me one player is the reason the coaches cant do there job correctly like making half time adjustments

I do find it funny that Caldwell is taking most of the blame while the Polians just skate away untarnished by most of the fans.

To me most of this is on the Polian's shoulders. They are the ones who neglected the offensive line for years, undervalued the linebacker spot, and allowed the cornerback position to deteriorate to the point it is now. They are the ones who built this team around Manning and allowed it to become so dependent on Manning and his knowledge of the game. Everyone bashes TB for being a system QB because he got hurt and the Pats did so well. That should be more of a testament to the team they built around him. They had a real defense and had offensive players who were stepping up.

Of course Caldwell and his staff carries a lot of the burden, but you can only coach up so much.

Stupid Colts organization!!!!! Build a defense geared to play with a lead. How presumptuous. Now, blame a coach that did not build this defense. Don't draft a running game. Momma told me never put all your chips in one basket. Why not change the name of the team to the Indy Peytons? Did Unitas have a running game? Did Montana? Did Bradshaw? Marino? Take a look at any and all great QB's and look at their backfields. Now the slant is the cheating skunk from Ohio State will get the job next year as he is Isay's maid and butler. Great Choice!! College and pro ball are one in the same and that is why every top draft choice from college comes in and sets all new QB records. Duh.

Lol what are you talking about, brackett isnt even a starter on most teams and if he is a starter on any other team he would get benched or CUT ie clint session!!... you are missing the point "dude"... Jim didnt have too much of an over haul to do because he has good players on defense... the colts have the best tandem of DE's in probably the history of the league, but that means nothing if you have corners that cant cover... and just so you know, no the offense is not simplified for painter... he's been peytons study buddy for the past two years so why should it be.... The point is you cant compare the 49ers coach to caldwell because caldwell doesnt have a very good defense and a stellar running game to lean on.

I think his point is that if they had all that going why was singletary so bad. a new coach with a new attitude

can go a long way.

They blame Caldwell because it's hard to gauge his impact. That, and they have to blame someone for the losses. We aren't making adjustments - or so it seems - and thus our offense disappears for a quarter and a half. That puts pressure on our defense and they get tired, and the snowball ensues.

It's a group failure, yet we are still in every game. Despite the injuries, despite the mental errors, we are close. The coaches and players both deserve some credit.

if you dont blame caldwell you dont understand this game at all. We are cluttered with talent and 0-6. I understand we should probably be a 500 team without him but 0-6. Thats bad coaching. His job is to get productivity out of the players. If its not his fault why do we have a coach at all? what would you classify his job as? Great coaches win superbowls with little talent. Bad coaches dont win a game with a ton of talent. Congrats on not understanding the game of football at all and posting on forums. you deserve a trophy.

does he play CB on our team?

does he turn the ball over?

is he the one that can't play in the 4th quarter because he is too tired?

are we 0-6 because of Caldwell or because we are a soft, vanilla team with no heart and no guts?

Shouldn't we blame Manning for getting injured and ruining our pathetic little team?

Blame him because he is the head coach....

I think his point is that if they had all that going why was singletary so bad. a new coach with a new attitude

can go a long way.

Mike imo was not a good coach, the biggest thing Jim did for the 49ers was put the team in Alex's hands he simplified the playbook for the guy making it easier for him to make plays, and thats what Mike didnt have a QB that can do that.

I do find it funny that Caldwell is taking most of the blame while the Polians just skate away untarnished by most of the fans.

Of course Caldwell and his staff carries a lot of the burden, but you can only coach up so much.

How's about coaching up a little much?

They blame Caldwell because it's hard to gauge his impact. That, and they have to blame someone for the losses. We aren't making adjustments - or so it seems - and thus our offense disappears for a quarter and a half. That puts pressure on our defense and they get tired, and the snowball ensues.

It's a group failure, yet we are still in every game. Despite the injuries, despite the mental errors, we are close. The coaches and players both deserve some credit.

This, With Peyton at the helm he can disguise Caldwell's vanilla approach in terms of game management, same with offensive schemes during the practice week. Caldwell simply being a stop gap hire to keep Dungy and Peyton's spin on the offense isn't good enough now.

Edited by The Fish

are we 0-6 because of Caldwell or because we are a soft, vanilla team with no heart and no guts?

Shouldn't we blame Manning for getting injured and ruining our pathetic little team?

Although Caldwell and most of the coaching staff are clueless and plainly incompetent (Christensen is a good coach - really the only one on the staff), the front office has to share blame for actually getting the players we put on the field, Those players are for the most part undersized, short and can't stand up to the rigors of a NFL game. Our D linemen are rotated out almost every other play - the opposition waits until Freeney and Mathis are out then go to their passing game because our backup DEs and the rest of the D line cannot pass rush at all. They get beat like a circus monkey by the other team's O line. Our incompetent coaching staff never allows for this or makes adjustments in the pass defense when Freeney and Mathis are out. Coyer is too stubborn or dumb (I vote dumb) to see that Lacey should be cut from the team and continues to trot him out there week after week to get beat like a Government mule. Where is Thomas (oh, I forgot, he was inactive - again) Two high draft choices are generally inactive (like they were on Sunday) on defense (Thomas and Hughes), even when healthy. Our top pick at RB (Donald Brown) has only been semi effective in one game this year. Our offense shows some sign of life but is still disjointed.

But one of the biggest reasons Caldwell must go is he is used to losing. His pathetic record as the Head Coach at Wakle Forest led to him accepting losing and that is the worst trait to have in a head coach. The Polians will stick with him because his incompetence helps to mask their own. As for the owner, as long as he can tweet, he is happy. Lord help our Colts

No he does none of those things. But he does decide who does, which makes him responsible for the overall ineptitude of this once awesome football team. He and those other dunces 'coach' these guys to play the way that they play.

Poor tackling, coaches fault. Lack of game plan and adjustments on defense, coaches fault. Poor conditioning, resulting in multiple injuries to starters, coaches fault. The guy sucks, deal with it, and stop making excuses for him.

To me most of this is on the Polian's shoulders. They are the ones who neglected the offensive line for years, undervalued the linebacker spot, and allowed the cornerback position to deteriorate to the point it is now. They are the ones who built this team around Manning and allowed it to become so dependent on Manning and his knowledge of the game. Everyone bashes TB for being a system QB because he got hurt and the Pats did so well. That should be more of a testament to the team they built around him. They had a real defense and had offensive players who were stepping up.

I agree.....Polian and Irsay are so dependent on Manning that they live in a fantasy world. They are too comfortable with Manning and as a result, things have currently gone awry.....

I will fault Caldwell on his personality and decision making....We could put the mascot on the sidelines with a headset and you wouldn't know the difference......Also, he seems to not want to change anything around and calls time outs at the worst possible times in games....

I think the FO has a lot of changes to make next season.........

The only thing that gives me pause is that Polian has been successful pretty much everywhere he's gone. I'm not absolving him of blame mind you, he has his full fair share of it.

Assuming we can find someone better to do the job, I am on board with firing Polian as well. However, we have to have someone to fill that job. Firing him just to fire him makes no sense.

Caldwell on the other hand, I'd take Jim "playoffs?!" Mora back over Caldwell, and I hate him with the fire of a thousand burning suns.

I agree.....Polian and Irsay are so dependent on Manning that they live in a fantasy world. They are too comfortable with Manning and as a result, things have currently gone awry.....

I will fault Caldwell on his personality and decision making....We could put the mascot on the sidelines with a headset and you wouldn't know the difference......Also, he seems to not want to change anything around and calls time outs at the worst possible times in games....

I think the FO has a lot of changes to make next season.........

The Polian's have defiantly become to dependent on Manning. Manning allowed them to throw together a patch work offensive line and patch work cornerbacks because they knew having Manning out there would make up for a lot of issues. If Manning is truly healthy they have a ton of work to improve the OL, CB, DT, and SS position to make this team truly competitve and be able to withstand losing Manning for a few games next year.

The only thing that gives me pause is that Polian has been successful pretty much everywhere he's gone. I'm not absolving him of blame mind you, he has his full fair share of it.

Assuming we can find someone better to do the job, I am on board with firing Polian as well. However, we have to have someone to fill that job. Firing him just to fire him makes no sense.

Caldwell on the other hand, I'd take Jim "playoffs?!" Mora back over Caldwell, and I hate him with the fire of a thousand burning suns.

Completely agree. I just find it funny that a lot of posters are willing to jump down Caldwell's neck and want him fired while at the same time ignoring the role the Polian's had in this disaster of a season.

Mod Edit for personal shot ...obviously he doesnt play the positions...He is the Head Coach..His job is to prepare our players and to coach them on how to play the game of football..Our players look clueless at times and that is a direct result of our head coach not preparing our team or teaching or coaching them enough to be successfull

THE ONLY THING SOFT ABOUT THE COLTS IS THE HEAD COACH!!!!!!!!!!!

What are you doin on here sayin we have no heart and no guts..we've been in every game and have had a chance to win every game and thats all on the players...The coaches are supose to figure out a way to win and they arent doing it

CALDWELL BE GONE WITH UR SOFT SEFT!!!!

caldwell by not using his time outs near the end of the half when cincy was scoring and running out the cloc cost us a posseion just like a turnover

as per 18 to 88, nate dunlevy

Jim Caldwell committed professional malpractice at the end of the first half. With 1:54 to play in the half, the Bengals had first and goal inside the Indy 10. Cincy had timeouts, so there's no way they run out of time. No matter what, the Colts with three timeouts should have plenty of time to get the ball back to end the half. If Caldwell calls the timeouts on defense, the Colts see the ball with no worse than 1:30 on the clock. I suppose he could argue that with a rookie QB, he didn't want to give them time to talk, but I'm not buying it. In a close game, Caldwell cost his team a drive.

He continues saying

Just as much as the fumbles by Clark and Garcon were turnovers, Jim Caldwell turned the ball over by not stopping the clock.

I've had it with this stuff. He's not even trying to win the games at this point. I still contend he doesn't survive the season.

http://www.18to88.com/2011-archives/october/broken-record.html

I believe the main reason people treat Caldwell and Polian different is that Polian has been around the block, built teams with 3 different franchises that played in AFC or NFC Championship games. Caldwell doesn't carry the same weight.

Should Polian share in some of the blame? Of course. He's missed on quite a few picks lately and he hasn't really uncovered a Jeff Saturday type player recently.

The team would be better off without Caldwell before it would be better off without Polian. He has his faults, but he also has Irsay's ear so if anyone is forced to fall on the sword it will be Caldwell long before it will be Caldwell & Polian. Just the nature of the business.

Deion LOL... Peyton put him out of the league, so he gives the Colts no love. A soft team does not win like the Colts have. Finesse, I would accept as they rely on speed over strength.

Constantly throwing your body against another person 30 lbs heavier than you would certainly lead to more injuries. Colts need to get more meatier personnel on both sides of the ball to reduce their injuries percentages.

Right, how did he do his first season? Took us to a Superbowl

With somebody else's players, schemes, and coaches. All he had to do was stand there and stare at the field to go to the Superbowl. Incidentally, that's all he's done since he's taken over and you can plainly see where that's got us no?

if you dont blame caldwell you dont understand this game at all. We are cluttered with talent and 0-6. I understand we should probably be a 500 team without him but 0-6. Thats bad coaching. His job is to get productivity out of the players. If its not his fault why do we have a coach at all? what would you classify his job as? Great coaches win superbowls with little talent. Bad coaches dont win a game with a ton of talent. Congrats on not understanding the game of football at all and posting on forums. you deserve a trophy.

Great coaches don't win Super Bowls will little talent. Great organizations win Super Bowls because they put everything together at the right time, and made the most of their opportunities. Was Dungy not a great coach? How talented are we, really, when our guys can't get open, can't hold on to the football, can't make plays on defense, can't block defensive linemen for more than 2 seconds, etc? I'm not saying we don't have talent, because we do, but they are making a lot of mental mistakes out there to go along with the awkward coaching. Again, it's a collective failure. If it takes a great coach to get players to play well, then you owe him credit for winning those last four games of the season in 2010; not to mention stopping the best RB's in the game cold. You can't take all the credit away from him for players not performing without giving him credit when they excel.

Congrats on not understanding football, logic, or the English language.

You can put the blame on the whole team, which includes coaches & players. The fact of the matter is yes they have been in every game, but they always find a way to lose (bad teams find a way to lose).

Which means the blame belongs to the players as well. But really, if the games are close, despite our injuries, and despite the player mistakes on the field, and despite not having an elite (not to mention the best) QB, that means the coach puts together a game plan that has us in it even with those disadvantages. Add one super QB and suddenly the same game plan from the same coach has us 5-1 or better right now.

Again, I AM NOT SAYING THAT JIM CALDWELL IS A GOOD COACH, NOR IS HE EXEMPT FROM BLAME. But we still really don't know much about him without Manning. If any team had Peyton Manning for so long, and suddenly he's gone, they would lose football games. I don't care who the coach is. No player in history can fill Manning's shoes. We're still not getting smashed even without him, which means the game plan is viable. Our players are making one too many mistakes. How is Caldwell responsible for a fumble that the other team returns for a touchdown? I ask, because that's happened to us 3 times this year at critical junctures in games. That's 100% on the players. Jim's "terrible" plan has gotten us the ball with time to do something, and our players have consistently turned it over when it counts.

The whole team is failing. Caldwell is a tiny piece of that failure.

Edited by doogansquest