Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Mathis not getting credit he deserves.

Narcosys

Here, just read this and try to figure out why i say this.  http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/95661/dan-grazianos-mvp-watch-8

Its Tamba Hali.

Lets compare shall we.

Tackles: 21   Ast: 2   Sacks: 9   FF: 4  FR: 0  PD: 1   INT: 1   TD: 1   STF: 1

Now Robert Mathis.

Tackles: 21   Ast: 10 Sacks: 11.5   FF: 3 FR: 0 PD: 1 INT: 0 TD: 0 STF: 2

Somehow this guy is on the MVP watch, and Mathis isnt.  They compare up nearly equally.  I know Hali has an INT and 1 more FF, but Mathis is by far leading him in total tackles, in Sacks, and is beating him in Stuffs and Stuff yardage.  Either take Hali off, or take someone else off and put up Mathis.  Am i wrong? 

Guest TeamLoloJones

Makes sense then i guess.  But if Mathis does end up breaking the Sack record...I think he jumps up a lil IMO

No it doesn't make sense.  Hali has Houston on the other side.  Mathis doesn't have that luxury.  Who have the Chiefs played?...and who have the Colts played?  Yeah...Mathis deserves it over Hali.

No it doesn't make sense. Hali has Houston on the other side. Mathis doesn't have that luxury. Who have the Chiefs played?...and who have the Colts played? Yeah...Mathis deserves it over Hali.

that argument would hold water if the numbers were close...but they're not. Hali gets pressure on the QB almost twice as often. He's getting pressure at a higher rate than JJ Watt did last year.

that argument would hold water if the numbers were close...but they're not. Hali gets pressure on the QB almost twice as often. He's getting pressure at a higher rate than JJ Watt did last year.

Yes,while houston is getting doubled on the other side. Walden doesn't provide the pressure opposite robert like houston does hali. Plus kc has a better all around def than here too

Yes,while houston is getting doubled on the other side. Walden doesn't provide the pressure opposite robert like houston does hali. Plus kc has a better all around def than here too

Hali is the one that gets double teamed more often than not.

We have also faced 3 of the more elusive quarterbacks who run the read option so yea, mathis definitely needs to be considered right up there with hali. If freeney were still here others would say that he was taking all the doubles which is why mathis got all his sacks... I'm just saying mathis is right there with the best in the league at rushing the qb this year

We have also faced 3 of the more elusive quarterbacks who run the read option so yea, mathis definitely needs to be considered right up there with hali. If freeney were still here others would say that he was taking all the doubles which is why mathis got all his sacks... I'm just saying mathis is right there with the best in the league at rushing the qb this year

Mobile QBs are historically easier to sack. They take too long to throw the ball and run themselves into sacks.

Guest TeamLoloJones

Mobile QBs are historically easier to sack. They take too long to throw the ball and run themselves into sacks.

It's funny that you say that because 3.5 of Hali's sacks came vs. Vick and Pryor.

Not saying Mathis hasn't been great, but Hali is on a totally different level his year. Nobody else has reaaly come close to him yet.

The whole KC def has been on a different level this year. I just think he benefits from Houston on the other side and poe constantly taking on two blockers.

The whole KC def has been on a different level this year. I just think he benefits from Houston on the other side and poe constantly taking on two blockers.

of course he is, but it's not like you could just throw any player on that defense and have them register 60 pressures. That's a totally ridiculous number.

no. Im just saying he's not as good as Hali has been this year.

And I you take Mathis away, our pass rush is mediocre.

I find that hard to believe looking at the stats. I know they don't tell the whole story but they are the proof of production and mathis and hali are neck and neck. It could really go either way imo. Mathis may not be as good as hali in coverage but his run defense has improved drastically, and it showed last week against denver

Guest TeamLoloJones

of course he is, but it's not like you could just throw any player on that defense has have them regsiter 60 pressures. That's a totally ridiculous number.

Let me know when Hali sacks a good quarterback.

Who cares about national attention? Some of you feed into that way too much. That's a no no people! :no:

Mathis gets his credit everytime he comes outta that tunnel & :colts: fans cheer him on whether they're at the stadium, watching from home, listening on the radio, or whatever. That's all that matters. If the national attention overlooked him who cares?

If you take Mathis off the Colts we would  be one of the worst defenses in the league because he's our only pass rusher. Take Hali off the Chiefs and there still a top 10 defense, they have pro bowl players in Houston, Poe, Berry, Johnson. The reason their defense has improved so much is because of Poe taking on two blockers, leaving more one on ones for Hali and Houston. Also the Chiefs have played an easy schedule vs mediocre to bad QB's. Hali is a good player but Mathis is better and more valuable to the team.

Guest TeamLoloJones

If you take Mathis off the Colts we would  be one of the worst defenses in the league because he's our only pass rusher. Take Hali off the Chiefs and there still a top 10 defense, they have pro bowl players in Houston, Poe, Berry, Johnson. The reason their defense has improved so much is because of Poe taking on two blockers, leaving more one on ones for Hali and Houston. Also the Chiefs have played an easy schedule vs mediocre to bad QB's. Hali is a good player but Mathis is better and more valuable to the team.

Only good Qb he has faced all year is Romo...and Hali didn't sack him.

Who cares about national attention? Some of you feed into that way too much. That's a no no people! :no:

Mathis gets his credit everytime he comes outta that tunnel & :colts:fans cheer him on whether they're at the stadium, watching from home, listening on the radio, or whatever. That's all that matters. If the national attention overlooked him who cares?

Yes, I subscribe to that philosophy too TK24. As long as your fans, coaches, & teammates respect in the locker room nothing else matters. Besides, the under the radar, snake in the grass mentality always appeals to me. Power rankings & positive press clippings never win SuperBowls alone anyway. 

Just like on the Forum, a ton of bloggers may think I am odd & having nothing of value to contribute to a specific football topic, but as long as my friends tolerate my antics & read my musings on a regular basis, SW1 doesn't need or want to be beloved by the masses. It's the same thing with Robert Mathis. He knows who has his back & who doesn't. It's as simple as that.  

When you have a guy like Andrew Luck who is viewed as the star of the team sadly other guys on your team sometimes suffer because the media is quicker to give credit to the franchise QB and not spread it around as much.  Case in point this week.  I think Mathis didn't get the DPOW award because Luck got the OPOW award and I don't think they like to give it to two guys on the same team. 

I know it's another position but think about it, how long did it take for people to admit Reggie Wayne was a special player and not just a product of Peyton Manning?  Some still don't give Reggie his full due with in our own fan base.  Clearly a WR is different from a DE because a WR's success depends on the QB on some level while the DE has nothing to do with the QB but overall I think it's the same idea.  If you have a super star QB which we do they tend to get most of the credit or blame when things go right or wrong.  It doesn't mean it's right but it's what people do. 

All we can do is keep trying to make the case for Mathis and beating the drum for him.

no, but he had 8 pressures. More than Mathis has had in any game this year.

More pressures on a good quarterback is worthless. A good QB like Manning, Brady, Breeze, Luck stand is the pocket tall when they get pressured. That is one of the fundamental reasons for them being a good QB, otherwise you have a league full of Gabberts on every team.

Mathis never gets the credit he deserves. And that's why i think he does better, it kind of fuels him to prove them wrong. Like those pre season pass rusher power rankings on nfl.com(?) he was really low and he has out performed nearly everyone of them. I'd be a bit concerned when he does get credit, would it affect his game now that something which has fueled him has gone?

The article i posted earlier also talks about if Mathis doesnt get DPOW...then that award is a joke.  Guess what.  Mario Williams got that award instead of Mathis.  His stats  3 Tackles, 2 Sacks, 1 FF.   I wonder who had those exact same stats.  Oh geez Robert mathis, oh wait no he had 5 tackles.  3 were solo 2 assisted.  And 2 sacks against Manning no less. 

Its official  DPOW is a joke :banana:

totall not true.

I never understood how someone qualified the pressure stat,  I mean is it every time a defender gets in the backfield while the QB has the ball, is it how the QB reacts to the defender thats coming at him. I tend to look at sacks and QB hit numbers combined, we had 4  and 10 hits Manning, 4 sacks is great but 10 QB hits is nuts once you  who take into account they were on Manning who is known for his quick release

Here, just read this and try to figure out why i say this.  http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/95661/dan-grazianos-mvp-watch-8

Its Tamba Hali.

Lets compare shall we.

Tackles: 21   Ast: 2   Sacks: 9   FF: 4  FR: 0  PD: 1   INT: 1   TD: 1   STF: 1

Now Robert Mathis.

Tackles: 21   Ast: 10 Sacks: 11.5   FF: 3 FR: 0 PD: 1 INT: 0 TD: 0 STF: 2

Somehow this guy is on the MVP watch, and Mathis isnt.  They compare up nearly equally.  I know Hali has an INT and 1 more FF, but Mathis is by far leading him in total tackles, in Sacks, and is beating him in Stuffs and Stuff yardage.  Either take Hali off, or take someone else off and put up Mathis.  Am i wrong?

No, just premature.....Nobody is on an MVP Pace after 7 games of a 16-game season...