Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Mathis not getting credit he deserves.

Narcosys

His numbers are better because of a much improved secondary, an improved front seven, and the good fortune of going up against backups and a LT (Jags 3 sacks) who was immediately fired.

Mathis & Freeney were Never properly outed as huge liabilities to the Teams defense because of their dismal play against the run.
Fans loved how Robert chased down from behind, RB`s taking the Free 5+ yards so often available thru the Freeney expressway.

It looked good.

Robert is playing better as the weeks go by (against the run), and definitely is an important part of our D, we could do worse.

Just have to Laugh at the jokers who were yapping about how good our line was after Bradshaw made some really impressive runs.

No, they were still not good.

And laughing at the jokers who were giddy about our top 6 D. See Chargers, Beat`in up by Seattle who was missing both tackles and their center, Broncs did fine against our D.

Now its time for Andrew to get better at finding the Open receiver. FleenR should shine.

His numbers are better because of a much improved secondary, an improved front seven, and the good fortune of going up against backups and a LT (Jags 3 sacks) who was immediately fired.

Mathis & Freeney were Never properly outed as huge liabilities to the Teams defense because of their dismal play against the run.

Fans loved how Robert chased down from behind, RB`s taking the Free 5+ yards so often available thru the Freeney expressway.

It looked good.

Robert is playing better as the weeks go by (against the run), and definitely is an important part of our D, we could do worse.

Just have to Laugh at the jokers who were yapping about how good our line was after Bradshaw made some really impressive runs.

No, they were still not good.

And laughing at the jokers who were giddy about our top 6 D. See Chargers, Beat`in up by Seattle who was missing both tackles and their center, Broncs did fine against our D.

Now its time for Andrew to get better at finding the Open receiver. FleenR should shine.

lol Eugene Monroe is a top LT, what are you talking about?

lol Eugene Monroe is a top LT, what are you talking about?

He played well last season.

But wasn`t playing as well this season, which was covered during our game.

Kinda like playing SF (without Davis) after they had just played Seattle. Teams don`t play well after playing Seattle.

Timing is everything.

The stars have been falling in place for us, seems to be a LUCK Thing! :goodluck:

Mathis had a mediocre game vs the Chargers. He followed it up with a great game vs the Broncos.

I hope he settles down to the good to great consistency moving forward. The whole team was looking ahead to the Broncos game and that is why I felt the Chargers game was a trap game.

I feel like a lot of fans expect NFL network & ESPN to become the Colts network & only talk about the Colts... I see Mathis' name mentioned every day on the ticker, exclaiming he is the current sack leader... I hear the Colts brought up much more than teams like Arizona or Oakland, and honestly a team I haven't heard much about this season is the Jets & they aren't nearly the bottom-feeder they were predicted to be before the season started...

Mathis is killing it & he has really transitioned to the OLB position better than some fans thought he would, he is tied for the most forced fumbles in NFL history, by the end of this season he will surely pass up Jason Taylor,

as long as his name is in the DPOY conversation at seasons end, I don't think he needs sports media gushing over him, just don't think it suits him...

Geez...who cares about who is or isn't getting "credit"? Mathis is our guy, and he's having a career season. True Colts fans know his value to the team, and could care less about some other guy. I'm sure that Mathis knows how much he means to his teammates and fans...and to a certain Mr. Irsay who signs some pretty nice checks for the guy.

Well, Polian did draft Mathis after all, so let me give some credit to him too, for what it is worth :). It is rare to find guys who play the 4-3 DE and 3-4 OLB position both well enough at the NFL level.

Polian era guys left - Wayne (on IR), Mathis, Bethea, McAfee, Donald Brown (also a victim of Polians' ineptitude on O-line), Castanzo

Linkenbach and Reitz are still leftovers from the Polian era, curious to see how long they last.

Well, Polian did draft Mathis after all, so let me give some credit to him too, for what it is worth :). It is rare to find guys who play the 4-3 DE and 3-4 OLB position both well enough at the NFL level.

Polian era guys left - Wayne (on IR), Mathis, Bethea, McAfee, Donald Brown (also a victim of Polians' ineptitude on O-line), Castanzo

Linkenbach and Reitz are still leftovers from the Polian era, curious to see how long they last.

Good points..I thought it was a mistake to keep Mathis long term but it wasn't.

He needs to stay healthy, though..7 games... 9 to go

Posted · Hidden by Nadine, November 10, 2013 - trolling
Hidden by Nadine, November 10, 2013 - trolling

Strength of Chiefs schedule so far is terrible(Jags, eagles, Cowboys, Giants, Raiders, Texans, Titans), while Mathis is doing it against top competition

What top flight tackle has he faced? Almost every OL we've played against is ravaged by injury.

But 11.5 sacks is 11.5 sacks. Dude is balling.

Here, just read this and try to figure out why i say this.  http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/95661/dan-grazianos-mvp-watch-8

Its Tamba Hali.

Lets compare shall we.

Tackles: 21   Ast: 2   Sacks: 9   FF: 4  FR: 0  PD: 1   INT: 1   TD: 1   STF: 1

Now Robert Mathis.

Tackles: 21   Ast: 10 Sacks: 11.5   FF: 3 FR: 0 PD: 1 INT: 0 TD: 0 STF: 2

Somehow this guy is on the MVP watch, and Mathis isnt.  They compare up nearly equally.  I know Hali has an INT and 1 more FF, but Mathis is by far leading him in total tackles, in Sacks, and is beating him in Stuffs and Stuff yardage.  Either take Hali off, or take someone else off and put up Mathis.  Am i wrong? 

No Colts player will ever get the credit he deserves no matter what...

we all learned that after our win against Denver Sunday. The fact that we were still ranked #5 in the power rankings still below the Seahawks and Broncos...they will continue to make excuses.

We could win the next 10 Super Bowls and still, we would not be as great as we look

The fact is that the media will always go for the teams with popular cities such as Dallas, Pittsburgh, New York, Boston...

Were Indianapolis, nothing special, except for NASCAR...

Posted · Hidden by Nadine, November 10, 2013 - trolling
Hidden by Nadine, November 10, 2013 - trolling

we all learned that after our win against Denver Sunday. The fact that we were still ranked #5 in the power rankings still below the Seahawks and Broncos...they will continue to make excuses.

We could win the next 10 Super Bowls and still, we would not be as great as we look

The fact is that the media will always go for the teams with popular cities such as Dallas, Pittsburgh, New York, Boston...

What are you talking about? #5 is generous. Good, not great defense. Good special teams. Game manager QB. We've been incredibly lucky so far, and the refs seem to be in our favor every game. The NFL want Luck to succeed more than anything. Our market is fickle. They need a draw.

What are you talking about? #5 is generous. Good, not great defense. Good special teams. Game manager QB. We've been incredibly lucky so far, and the refs seem to be in our favor every game. The NFL want Luck to succeed more than anything. Our market is fickle. They need a draw.

What are you talking about "in our favor"? You sound like an anti-Colts fan. There are plenty of calls that come against us sometimes so the calls they miss, pretty much evens it out.

BTW, we've been stuck at #5 since like week 3. But whatever I like that we are always underrated and we don't have bandwagon fans like the hawks...

What are you talking about "in our favor"? You sound like an anti-Colts fan. There are plenty of calls that come against us sometimes so the calls they miss, pretty much evens it out.

BTW, we've been stuck at #5 since like week 3. But whatever I like that we are always underrated and we don't have bandwagon fans like the hawks...

It is an anti colts fan

What?!  http://espn.go.com/nfl/powerrankings

First, Indy is known for basketball and open wheel racing.

Second, polls only matter in college

More pressures on a good quarterback is worthless. A good QB like Manning, Brady, Breeze, Luck stand is the pocket tall when they get pressured. That is one of the fundamental reasons for them being a good QB, otherwise you have a league full of Gabberts on every team.

I know I read a stat that said Brady throws ~36% when "under pressure" QB pressures mean a lot vs good qbs acutually. There is a difference between blitzing like a chicken with his head cut off (us vs Chargers) and Blitzing well with D line penetration and qb pressures (Us vs Jags and Broncs). 

I know I read a stat that said Brady throws ~36% when "under pressure" QB pressures mean a lot vs good qbs acutually. There is a difference between blitzing like a chicken with his head cut off (us vs Chargers) and Blitzing well with D line penetration and qb pressures (Us vs Jags and Broncs).

Brady is overrated. He came into to a perfect situation. Brady possesses nary an elite talent. Except for maybe "tucking".

He played well last season.

But wasn`t playing as well this season, which was covered during our game.

Kinda like playing SF (without Davis) after they had just played Seattle. Teams don`t play well after playing Seattle.

Timing is everything.

The stars have been falling in place for us, seems to be a LUCK Thing! :goodluck:

Teams don't play well after Seattle? That is just media nonsense. Maybe that's because they have played teams like the panthers, jags,, texans and the titans with Fitzpatrick at QB.

Brady is overrated. He came into to a perfect situation. Brady possesses nary an elite talent. Except for maybe "tucking".

Ohhhhhhh! It all makes sense now! You just hate all QBs who threaten/threatened Peyton's greatness or legacy.

I thought it was just Luck. But your a "No one has ever been as great as Peyton" kinda guy.

Totally get it.

He has gone up against a starter left tackle and right tackle for the 49ers and he got 1.5 on them that day so he has had a good year so far I think he could break the sack record if his success continues.

If he breaks it, i think Mathis will beat him to it.

If there team MVP then in its Anthony Castonzo, He regularly opens up holes in the run game and handled both Justin Smith and Aldon Smith with almost no problem all, He has been ur best O lineman this year, On defense its been Vontae Davis. Mathis has been great in the pass rush but is useless stopping the run

If you take Mathis off the Colts we would  be one of the worst defenses in the league because he's our only pass rusher. Take Hali off the Chiefs and there still a top 10 defense, they have pro bowl players in Houston, Poe, Berry, Johnson. The reason their defense has improved so much is because of Poe taking on two blockers, leaving more one on ones for Hali and Houston. Also the Chiefs have played an easy schedule vs mediocre to bad QB's. Hali is a good player but Mathis is better and more valuable to the team.

All you can do is look at things as they are, and make best case comparisons.  Previously, many folks said Mathis got his numbers because Freeney was on the opposite side, etc.  Fact is, both Hali and Mathis are top tier.  And Hali is even stepped up beyond that this year.  He leads their D.  Take Mathis away from our D and we are worse, but we can rely more on Offense and Luck to get the wins. Take Hali off their D, and those other teams QB's that were forced to throw early and make mistakes don't have to and they can get another score or two in that may be too much for the less potent KC offense to overcome, and likely they aren't 7-0 anymore. Do I think Mathis is better?  Overall, no, not right now.  Career wise? Yes, pretty much so.  Should he be talked about more than he has been, I think so.

More pressures on a good quarterback is worthless. A good QB like Manning, Brady, Breeze, Luck stand is the pocket tall when they get pressured. That is one of the fundamental reasons for them being a good QB, otherwise you have a league full of Gabberts on every team.

Ummmm, worthless isn't the word, somewhat less effective might be better. However, no matter how you slice it, pressure on a QB cuases problems for  an offense, even with a 'good' QB.  Good QB's can sometimes make plays, but they are also sometimes forced into bad throwing decisions (not enough time to determine the 'good' decision), or into making a good decision but with poor results (IE: Luck pass to Reggie Wayne).  Pressures, to me, are as important as sack numbers.  Some say more, I don't.  i still believe you have to get the guy to the ground every once in a while to make a pressure much more effective.