Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

The Issues of Trent Richardson are Not his Fault...

NewColtsFan

or it could be the line

When Richardson left Cleveland for Indianapolis, he traded the 12th-worst offensive line for the league's best. Based on Football Outsider's adjusted line yards, the Colts have boasted the best run-blocking unit in the league this year, and yet somehow Richardson has continued to play poorly. He's currently ranked as the 15th-worst running back (out of the 36 with 50 or more carries) in the league with a DYAR of eight and a DVOA of -6.2%.

Even more damning for Richardson is the fact that the Colts' other running backs have found great success running behind the team's line this year. Donald Brown only has 33 carries (he needs 17 more to qualify for Football Outsiders' rankings), but he's averaging 5.9 yards per carry. Before he went down with a neck injury, Ahmad Bradshaw was also carving up defenses on the ground. In three games, Bradshaw amassed 186 yards on 41 carries, good for 4.5 yards per carry. Meanwhile, Richardson's yards per carry average sits at a paltry 3.0.

• Replies 305
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's funny that the people who claim Richardson has no vision are acting the same ....they have no vision. Have a little faith in what Grigson saw on tape and what Richardson has done in the past. Don't be the guy who always has tosay there were wrong about a guy. I just watched Petersen against the Giants dplay just like Richardson . He had zero lanes and got stuffed. He is the best, right?

how many carries did Ballard have?

If you are actually claiming this line is good then we are done here

the fact is that the Colts do have a good Run blocking O-line. Look it up for yourself. There are so many advanced metrics that will point to this.

If Ballard or Bradshaw weren't hurt, we'd clearly see a more successful run game.

I think we need to use him in more diverse ways so that teams don't automatically assume he will be carrying the ball. 

I'd like to see him used more in the passing game, while mixing in the running game.  I'm also starting to feel like some

of the runs the coaching staff is utilizing with him are not best for the type of runner he is.  

I don't really like some of the draws they are doing with him along with some of the other slow developing stuff.  I heard JShipp make the argument that he is better running out of a one back set and I saw some runs in a previous game where I could possibly agree. Whatever the case may be, they need to work hard over the bye week in finding some runs that Trent is really suited for.

Colts oline doesn’t pass the eye test. Satele and McGlynn so far have been very poor run blocking, Havili has provided no push, Cherilus has been average. Castonzo and Thornton have graded out ok, and Thomas was promising before he went down.

The last three weeks we faced two of the top run defenses in the nfl sandwiching a letdown game against the Chargers where everybody played poorly. Take a powder.

I think we need to use him in more diverse ways so that teams don't automatically assume he will be carrying the ball.

I'd like to see him used more in the passing game, while mixing in the running game. I'm also starting to feel like some

of the runs the coaching staff is utilizing with him are not best for the type of runner he is.

I don't really like some of the draws they are doing with him along with some of the other slow developing stuff. I heard JShipp make the argument that he is better running out of a one back set and I saw some runs in a previous game where I could possibly agree. Whatever the case may be, they need to work hard over the bye week in finding some runs that Trent is really suited for.

We traded our first round draft pick so that he could be our power back in a power running scheme, right? I don't think Pep or Grigson have it in mind to change the offense to suit his running style. I'm assuming they want someone effective in this offense. Bradshaw was doing a great job before he got injured. So was Ballard.

the fact is that the Colts do have a good Run blocking O-line. Look it up for yourself. There are so many advanced metrics that will point to this.

If Ballard or Bradshaw weren't hurt, we'd clearly see a more successful run game.

Advanced metrics and football don't always mix well.

at times no question it has but a running back has to  be able to have the patience and vision to run to where the hole is open (usually on Castonzos side) instead of always trying to force it where a hole is not open even if the play design is calls for that hole to be open, Thats just what running back vision is

If Richardson showed anymore patience the entire defensive front 7 will be on him before he even sniffs the LOS.  The amount of times he is hit 1-2-3 yds behind the line is pitiful, and it's kind of insulting to think that if he can just wait another half second for the O-line to get off their backs and push their blocking assignments out of the way he could actually do something.

Advanced metrics and football don't always mix well.

I hear ya. I prefer to look at them anyway.

Last post for tonight. I'm okay with being patient and hoping that Trent Richardson is able to improve, along with the O-line. I'd like to see our run game resemble what it looked like during the first few games of the season.

If Richardson showed anymore patience the entire defensive front 7 will be on him before he even sniffs the LOS.  The amount of times he is hit 1-2-3 yds behind the line is pitiful, and it's kind of insulting to think that if he can just wait another half second for the O-line to get off their backs and push their blocking assignments out of the way he could actually do something.

watch the games again, I aint gettin in a  back and forth debate about it

I don't think Trent has gotten a lot of holes.  Brown often gets the ball on draw plays in a passing formation, so he is getting better holes.  Trent is getting it on power run plays where it obvious what is going on.   The one criticism I have of him is that he goes straight ahead and doesn't really looking for cutbacks.

Richardson was hit behind the LOS on 3 of his runs, On the run where he fumbled he went right, Coby appeared to have a pretty decent block on his man (All 22 is not available yet so I will get a better view then) Richardson looked like he was going to bounce it outside to the right (also an overpursuit by Miller left a big running lane to the left Richardson had the chance to take) instead he threw his left shoulder into a pile and turned his back to the LOS trying to churn out some yards with his feet when he did not need to, Just did not show alot of patience on that run

Trent Richardson ended the game with a -2.2 grade, which you might expect for a player who could only muster 37 rushing yards from 14 carries, but in truth almost all of that came because of his fumble – a play where he was being gang tackled and the ball was stripped from his grasp as half of Denver rode him to the ground. Otherwise he was dealt the blocking equivalent of the Dead Man’s Hand, meeting players in the backfield on seemingly every carry, and barely getting an opportunity all day to run the ball without having to make a cut in the backfield as the play had been blown to heck. Richardson forced five missed tackles, and gained 25 of his 37 yards after contact. That means that on 14 carries his blocking generated him just 12 yards before he was hit. The same ran true for Brown, who gained 12 of his 23 yards after contact. Richardson may be killing some fantasy teams, but the fault lies not at his door, at least not entirely.

This. I look forward to a BORING offseason with picking up an interior O Line.

Week 7 against Denver.

Richardson forced five missed tackles, and gained 25 of his 37 yards after contact (14 carries, good for 1.8 yards per carry after first contact).

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2013/10/21/refo-broncos-colts-week-7/

Week 6 against San Diego.

Richardson tied a season high with 2.8 yards per carry after first contact and forced two missed tackles as a runner (10 carries for 40 yards, good for 28 yards after contact).

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2013/10/15/refo-colts-chargers-week-6/

Week 4 against Jacksonville.

Poor blocking up front forced the newly acquired running back to gain 46 of his 60 yards after contact (20 carries, good for 2.3 yards per carry after first contact).

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2013/09/30/refo-ind-jax-week-4/

Trent is not a scatback, he is a true power back who operates in between tackles. He can drag people, he can make them miss. He just does not possess enough burst to go outside and then cut back. But his elite straight line speed and ability to beat up ONE defender anytime make him a dangerous weapon, then he is given strong interior run blocking.

I don't think you guys are watching the same game as I am.  Trent is making buddies with the other team's defensive line as soon as he touches the ball.  They need to get some screens to him and open up the field a bit more for the guy.  He is going to be a good one.  I feel like you're only judging the guy based on what he's done with the Colts.  He's been with us for a few weeks.  Give him some time, stop being so 'what have you done for me lately'.  He's got the speed and vision that a successful RB should have.  Just be patient for a couple of weeks.  Gees.

So many people in these forums and even my friends are talking so much smack about the kid and he's played what, 5 games with us?  Chill out.  He's going to pull through once Pep gives him many more snaps than DB and defenses finally see that Trent plays on passing downs as well.

In the meanwhile, we're 5-2.  We're winning thanks to our defense and Andrew Luck.  Wait until Trent gets more comfortable with this offense and it's going to be extremely tough to beat us.  You guys are going to be ecstatic during the playoffs, because he's going to do big things if he's given a chance.

PFF disagrees...

22. Indianapolis Colts: -7.7

Stud: He’s taking baby steps toward being the top talent they’d hope him to be, is Anthony Castonzo (+7.3).

Dud: Was 2012 not enough for this team to realize that Mike McGlynn (-10.5) isn’t up to the task of starting for the team? Apparently not.

Summary: A mixed year as they tried to fix this problem area through free agency only to see Donald Thomas go down for the year. They really need to fix the interior that gives next to nothing for their running backs to work with.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2013/10/09/ranking-the-2013-offensive-lines-first-quarter/2/

When Richardson left Cleveland for Indianapolis, he traded the 12th-worst offensive line for the league's best. Based on Football Outsider's adjusted line yards, the Colts have boasted the best run-blocking unit in the league this year, and yet somehow Richardson has continued to play poorly. He's currently ranked as the 15th-worst running back (out of the 36 with 50 or more carries) in the league with a DYAR of eight and a DVOA of -6.2%.

Even more darning for Richardson is the fact that the Colts' other running backs have found great success running behind the team's line this year. Donald Brown only has 33 carries (he needs 17 more to qualify for Football Outsiders' rankings), but he's averaging 5.9 yards per carry. Before he went down with a neck injury, Ahmad Bradshaw was also carving up defenses on the ground. In three games, Bradshaw amassed 186 yards on 41 carries, good for 4.5 yards per carry. Meanwhile, Richardson's yards per carry average sits at a paltry 3.0.

Is that you Peter King impression?

no. He has to stop fumbling the ball. He's a power back I get that he's going to have a lot of two to three yard runs. That's what power backs do you have to use them to beat up the other teams defense for three quarters with carries and then they break runs in the fourth when the other team is tired. So Richardson's YPC doesn't bother me. Him turning the ball over does. Four fumbles (granted only losing one) in two years is a warning sign. Just something to compare it too brown has fumbled once in his career. If you look at carries Richardson has about half the carries of brown in their careers and four times as many fumbles. Trent is young so hopefully they can teach him to secure the ball a little better.

no. He has to stop fumbling the ball. He's a power back I get that he's going to have a lot of two to three yard runs. That's what power backs do you have to use them to beat up the other teams defense for three quarters with carries and then they break runs in the fourth when the other team is tired. So Richardson's YPC doesn't bother me. Him turning the ball over does. Four fumbles (granted only losing one) in two years is a warning sign. Just something to compare it too brown has fumbled once in his career. If you look at carries Richardson has about half the carries of brown in their careers and four times as many fumbles. Trent is young so hopefully they can teach him to secure the ball a little better.[/quote

Lol....I was just referencing your use of "young man"......king uses that a lot when talking about players.

no. He has to stop fumbling the ball. He's a power back I get that he's going to have a lot of two to three yard runs. That's what power backs do you have to use them to beat up the other teams defense for three quarters with carries and then they break runs in the fourth when the other team is tired. So Richardson's YPC doesn't bother me. Him turning the ball over does. Four fumbles (granted only losing one) in two years is a warning sign. Just something to compare it too brown has fumbled once in his career. If you look at carries Richardson has about half the carries of brown in their careers and four times as many fumbles. Trent is young so hopefully they can teach him to secure the ball a little better.[/quote

Lol....I was just referencing your use of "young man"......king uses that a lot

oh I don't read king that much hence why I didn't get the joke. I think he's a bit of an east coast homer. I did seem him getting upset last night on twitter that they didn't give the broncos the ball on the fumble by the goal line and the call on Vickerson knocking luck down.

ame="BLOODontheTRACKS" post="609748" timestamp="1382426227"]

oh I don't read king that much hence why I didn't get the joke. I think he's a bit of an east coast homer. I did seem him getting upset last night on twitter that they didn't give the broncos the ball on the fumble by the goal line and the call on Vickerson knocking luck down.

Yeah, I don't care for King much myself

Yeah, Trent can't help it if he is just an average running back.

Great running backs become average running backs with bad offensive lines, average running backs become bad running backs with make-shift disorganized offensive lines.  Not sure which of the latter two he fits into.  I'm hoping we are shooting for Trent being a great running back behind what will become a great offensive line.  Please read the following article.

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/extra-points/2010/was-emmitt-smith-really-product-his-line

There are very good statistics and analysis in the blogs/comments below this article as well.

no. He has to stop fumbling the ball. He's a power back I get that he's going to have a lot of two to three yard runs. That's what power backs do you have to use them to beat up the other teams defense for three quarters with carries and then they break runs in the fourth when the other team is tired. So Richardson's YPC doesn't bother me. Him turning the ball over does. Four fumbles (granted only losing one) in two years is a warning sign. Just something to compare it too brown has fumbled once in his career. If you look at carries Richardson has about half the carries of brown in their careers and four times as many fumbles. Trent is young so hopefully they can teach him to secure the ball a little better.

He is not a fumbler. He is putting himself in bad positions by trying to carry the pile for an extra hard. There is no running back that would have been able to secure the ball on that fumble. He needed to either go down or the refs need to blow the whistle sooner.

Yeah, those 2TE sets might be more effective if DA was healthy.....he's not only a excellent blocker, but he would also be a serious receiving threat the defense would have to respect. Bringing in Joe Reitz just tells everyone they are going to run.

I just think they are overly used, though I agree that having DA would help alot.  It telegraphs the run, and even if we pass out of it, they've got S or CBs covering TEs (and lets be honest, without Allen, the OLB will be jsut as effective on Jones, and their best CB will be on our only WR.  So even if they don't run, they are equally matched or have good matchups on our receiver threats.  So when we're in this set, D's are keying in on the run 100% of the time and just hope their position players on defense make plays, which, we really haven't had any huge plays out of this setup.  And I'm not criticizing our run game, because we're using it, and we're still 8th in the league in Rush Yards/Game.  Somehow, I believe it opens up possibilities later on in the game. 

At the same token, what I don't undrestand is the unfair criticism on Trent.  When he's not in this set up, he does pretty well.  He grinded out several on Sunday in a spread set where he picked up 4-7 yards.  Then we run 3 plays out of the bunched set, they have too many guys in the box and our OL isn't good enough in the middle, play gets blown up, and all the sudden, Trent has bad vision.  Makes no sense, especially after watching the Giants stack everyone in the box all night long and Peterson did nothing.  I'm not saying he's perfect or even that he's as good as he needs to be.  But I get tired of people looking at his YPC and saying, oh, bad vision.  Did everyone forget that his vision was one of his more praised traits coming out of college? 

I'm still not sure that this was worth the 1st round pick we gave up.  But I still would say it's worth a high/mid second round pick, especially sicne we're only pyaing him second round money (as CLE got stuck with the signing bonus).  So if we make the playoffs - and all indications at this poitn says we are - we'd eventually end up saying, in hindsight, that we got a high second round pick talent in the low first round.  Not the worst thing in the world. 

nope

Our Oline is bad at run blocking. No need to look it up. I have eyes

I've been saying it all along.  We need better interior line play.  Trent is a great blocker, and will help keep Andrew alive.  That alone makes him a value to this team.

At this point we are lucky that the interior of our line isn't collapsing and forcing Andrew out of the pocket before he can even get his feet set.  So it does not surprise me that there is no running room for Trent.  

I'm hoping if we get a good center in here during FA, we'll open up some running room for him.

For right now though, I do agree that the power formations really are not working.  We really aught to use him a bit more in draw plays.  

Look, we all saw what Trent can do in space. He's very difficult for opposing D's to take down. 

Run him out of the backfield and THROW to him!! We've barely done it with him and I can't understand why. 

I still think Pagano's description of him fits him to the T: A bowling ball of butcher knives. We just need to get him out in space. 

2a7c9348-4322-4e15-8fa2-715f5f6ddbbe.gif

trentrichardsonbeast.gif

He is not a fumbler. He is putting himself in bad positions by trying to carry the pile for an extra hard. There is no running back that would have been able to secure the ball on that fumble. He needed to either go down or the refs need to blow the whistle sooner.

four fumbles in less than two years says other wise.

Sometimes people would prefer to box score scout instead of using their own eyes, I guess.

I watch every game live and then again multiple times on game rewind. The O-line is a good (not great) run blocking unit.

Look, Trent is the only guy so far who has not run well behind our O-line. Ballard, Bradshaw, and Brown have all done fine. We are currently the 5th ranked rushing team in total rush yards. We wouldn't be without a good run blocking O-line.

It's time people realize that a good run blocking O-line doesn't mean an 80 yard TD every time and that there will be games where the RB gets hit behind the LOS. We've seen more good than bad with this O-line. It's night and day compared to last year.

Look, we all saw what Trent can do in space. He's very difficult for opposing D's to take down. 

Run him out of the backfield and THROW to him!! We've barely done it with him and I can't understand why.

I still think Pagano's description of him fits him to the T: A bowling ball of butcher knives. We just need to get him out in space. 

I completely agree with the bolded. It's clear he can break tackles and make guys miss in open space. Get him on the edge against a linebacker and teach him to run routes. In open space he can make things happen and break tackles. 

He's just not a good running back, he doesn't see cutback lanes, he doesn't hit the holes with authority. He dances around too much. Yards after contact is only a good stat when it's contact from guys at the second level. Getting hit by a lineman and falling forward for 2 yards after you gained 1 means nothing.