Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Ways to beat the Broncos

thetigerfox

Hi all, as a Bronco fan I'll try to provide some objective perspective on how to beat the Broncos:

• The popular talking point for every team we face is "keep Peyton off the field," which is simply inapplicable in practice.  He's going to get on the field.  It's a fast moving offense in general, but I can't remember a game since Manning came to Denver where you had an obvious time-of-possession discrepancy that disrupted offensive tempo and opportunity. 
  • Denver's run defense is actually really good.  A bit of it is a consequence of the fact that teams can't run too much from them being behind by the second half, but even if you look at yards per carry (or just watch the games) it's a run defense that is for real, beginning with a big interior and fast LBs.   And we've played some good backs to sample from- LeSean McCoy, Ray Rice, MJD, McFadden, Murray, etc.  Some of them scored on the goal line or might have found a hole for a 20 yarder or whatever but none of them did it consistently, none "got the running game going," not did they keep Manning off the field.
  •  Denver's pass defense is not as bad as the rankings suggest, with only one really bad game against Dallas (a game in which nearly half of our defensive starters were out by the game's end)...other than that a lot of garbage time and teams throwing 40, 50, 60 attempts on us.  But Dallas was still a bad game and it's still a better option to target the pass defense than the run defense, though with the caveat that Von Miller and Champ Bailey will finally both be on the field. That said, to beat Denver you simply need to score a lot.  And fast.  Romo had the game of his life and put up 48 points and it wasn't enough, but that's the way it needs to be done.  If you want to play the "take a full quarter to score once" type of game, it just won't work.

So how to pass against Denver?

A glaring weakness has been the quick inside slant and seem routes.  We're not so hot against TEs so start Fleener in fantasy.  Passing outside against the corners is less effective...they have a good group in Champ, Domonique Rodgers-Cromartie, and Chris Harris is one of the best nickle's in football.  The rookie Kayvon Webster has been making some plays too.  The LBs are fast and good in coverage.  On paper it would seem like we can match up against anyone, which makes it a bit of a mystery why they do tend to give up chunk passing yards.  One reason has been a not-too-effective pass rush, which has required the LBs to blitz and open up the middle field routes.  We're hoping Von will help fix that.  Other times it just seems like someone is unaccounted for and there's a guy sitting by himself 12 yards down the field.  Whatever the issues are, it's not onle of talent, but we're hoping it gets fixed up as we're now healthier than previosu games and have some talent back. 

• Correct, don't kick to Trindon Holliday.

Apparently, Marvin ThugNasty Harrison is suppose to be at the game this Sunday, and that could be a great way to beat the Broncos. Anyways, Marvin, can you do a drive-by right when the Broncos' bus rolls in and bust a cap in some of the players' ***** (any player is fair game except Peyton, we love Peyton; you can also go for Elway if you want...I'm still kinda ticked about the '83 draft)? Now, I don't want you to mortally wound any of them (yes I know this is out of your nature), but just enough to take them out of action Sunday. Come on Marvy, we're counting on ya bud!

------

Just to clarify, this is a joke, kind of.

Apparently, Marvin ThugNasty Harrison is suppose to be at the game this Sunday, and that could be a great way to beat the Broncos. Anyways, Marvin, can you do a drive-by right when the Broncos' bus rolls in and bust a cap in some of the players' ***** (any player is fair game except Peyton, we love Peyton; you can also go for Elway if you want...I'm still kinda ticked about the '83 draft)? Now, I don't want you to mortally wound any of them (yes I know this is out of your nature), but just enough to take them out of action Sunday. Come on Marvy, we're counting on ya bud!

------

Just to clarify, this is a joke, kind of.

Love this...It is the truth too, but he skirted the whole trial and being charged then acquited....No wonder he has tried to stay out of the public eye hoping people would forget about it...If Luck had him out wide Sunday night I'd like our chances better!  I wonder if he still has wheels??

Love this...It is the truth too, but he skirted the whole trial and being charged then acquited....No wonder he has tried to stay out of the public eye hoping people would forget about it...If Luck had him out wide Sunday night I'd like our chances better!  I wonder if he still has wheels??

If Luck had Marvin, in his prime, I would definitely like our choices better as well. As for having wheels, I doubt it. He's over 40 and has been out of the league for 3-4 years. Don't get me wrong, he's probably still pretty dang fast, but nothing like he was. Who knows though....Herschel Walker is still ripped and said his 40 time is under 4.4...and he's 50 lol.

There are 2 vastly differing factors going on here. The way to beat the Broncos is to keep Peyton off the field, which would dictate us running the ball, which we do well. The problem is that the Denver defense only gives up 3.2 ypc which is near the best in the league, but their pass defense is the worst. Therefore, to put up points, I think Luck will find that he can get chunks of yards in the passing game. Make no mistake, there are 2 arguments the coaches are going through now. (1) keep Peyton off the field with our running game or (2) take advantage of the Bronco pass defense, which is very bad and try to just put up as many points as we can.

It's definitely a difficult one, but I say we air it out for the first half and see where that gets us. Manning is usually a slow starter and really starts to pick up in the second half once he has seen how the defense operates. So hopefully, by some miracle we have a lead going into the second half. Then we can start to slow things down and work on eating up the clock in the second half to keep Manning off the field. Basically this has to be a reverse version of what we have been doing so far.

Hi all, as a Bronco fan I'll try to provide some objective perspective on how to beat the Broncos:

• The popular talking point for every team we face is "keep Peyton off the field," which is simply inapplicable in practice.  He's going to get on the field.  It's a fast moving offense in general, but I can't remember a game since Manning came to Denver where you had an obvious time-of-possession discrepancy that disrupted offensive tempo and opportunity. 
  • Denver's run defense is actually really good.  A bit of it is a consequence of the fact that teams can't run too much from them being behind by the second half, but even if you look at yards per carry (or just watch the games) it's a run defense that is for real, beginning with a big interior and fast LBs.   And we've played some good backs to sample from- LeSean McCoy, Ray Rice, MJD, McFadden, Murray, etc.  Some of them scored on the goal line or might have found a hole for a 20 yarder or whatever but none of them did it consistently, none "got the running game going," not did they keep Manning off the field.
  •  Denver's pass defense is not as bad as the rankings suggest, with only one really bad game against Dallas (a game in which nearly half of our defensive starters were out by the game's end)...other than that a lot of garbage time and teams throwing 40, 50, 60 attempts on us.  But Dallas was still a bad game and it's still a better option to target the pass defense than the run defense, though with the caveat that Von Miller and Champ Bailey will finally both be on the field. That said, to beat Denver you simply need to score a lot.  And fast.  Romo had the game of his life and put up 48 points and it wasn't enough, but that's the way it needs to be done.  If you want to play the "take a full quarter to score once" type of game, it just won't work.

So how to pass against Denver?

A glaring weakness has been the quick inside slant and seem routes.  We're not so hot against TEs so start Fleener in fantasy.  Passing outside against the corners is less effective...they have a good group in Champ, Domonique Rodgers-Cromartie, and Chris Harris is one of the best nickle's in football.  The rookie Kayvon Webster has been making some plays too.  The LBs are fast and good in coverage.  On paper it would seem like we can match up against anyone, which makes it a bit of a mystery why they do tend to give up chunk passing yards.  One reason has been a not-too-effective pass rush, which has required the LBs to blitz and open up the middle field routes.  We're hoping Von will help fix that.  Other times it just seems like someone is unaccounted for and there's a guy sitting by himself 12 yards down the field.  Whatever the issues are, it's not onle of talent, but we're hoping it gets fixed up as we're now healthier than previosu games and have some talent back. 

• Correct, don't kick to Trindon Holliday.

Thanks for the pleasant thoughts, but if Peyton is up for this game there is no way on earth he won't win it.

It is just a matter of how big a Bronco victory.

And even if it is close at the end, Luck will get a lesson in 2-minute offense from the master, Peyton.

Luck seems to play better vs the top teams in the league and the only way we beat the Broncos is if Luck outplays Peyton. Like in Rocky IV, Ivan Drago was the bigger,stronger and more feared boxer. Everyone except Rocky Balboa and his team thought that he had no chance vs the intimidating Drago. Drago beat Rocky up for most of the fight but in the end he tired him out and won against all odds. We can beat the Broncos if we really believe it and play together as a team. The defense has to play fast and try to force as many turnovers as possible.

1.  Offense

Score Touchdowns when you have the ball.

Run the ball and shorten the game.  We need to do to the Broncos what the Chargers did to us.

Do NOT turn it over.

2.  Special Teams

Make our kicks

McAfee needs to show why he got the franchise tag on Sunday, long punts with a lot of hang time and maybe even getting it out of bounds.

Boom it on kickoffs, no returns Holiday is very dangerous and the last thing we need to do is give Peyton the short field. 

3.  Defense

Make our tackles. 

Stop the run early and make them go to the air, sounds dumb against Manning but the last thing you want to do is let them have multiple ways to move the ball on you.

Force a couple of turnovers.  When you throw as many times a game as the Broncos do one or two of them are going to have a chance to be picked take advantage of it. 

Toler needs to bring his A game I fully expect Manning to go after him based on what I saw on Monday.

Mix up the defenses and try to confuse Manning that's how you beat him.  You make him think more than he should by mixing things up.  Throw something at him he doesn't expect to see.  I think Landry could be key in this role if he can go on Sunday. 

Don't show your blitz with 15 seconds on the play clock and just sit there and let Manning adjust to it like they did on Monday.  Change up your D and give him different looks as the play clock ticks down. 

Don't give up anything cheap and make them earn it by going the length of the field. 

Ways to beat the Broncos

1) Poison. 

2) Fire

3) Machete (not the knife ...the guy)

4) Emotional Ceremonies. 

5) The combined powers of Marvin Harrison and Edgerrin James ~ Wonder Twins power activate ~ poof....Manning is turned into a harmless pony suffering from mange. 

Running the ball against the Broncos sounds good in theory, but it doesn't work. The Broncos are #1 in the NFL in rushing yards allowed per game. Before you tell me that it's because everyone is passing against them to catch up, let me point out that they are #2 in the NFL in yards per carry allowed. This is without Von Miller on the field up until Sunday night. Not only is he a premiere pass rusher, he was 2nd in the NFL in tackles for a loss last season trailing only JJ Watt. You're going to have to score 50 to beat the Broncos on Sunday.

Running the ball against the Broncos sounds good in theory, but it doesn't work. The Broncos are #1 in the NFL in rushing yards allowed per game. Before you tell me that it's because everyone is passing against them to catch up, let me point out that they are #2 in the NFL in yards per carry allowed. This is without Von Miller on the field up until Sunday night. Not only is he a premiere pass rusher, he was 2nd in the NFL in tackles for a loss last season trailing only JJ Watt. You're going to have to score 50 to beat the Broncos on Sunday.

Well then we might as well throw in the towel.

Perhaps short and accurate passes for small 5 yard gains would be the best.  Instead of running the clock with runs, we do it like that.

In the end I think Luck is just gonna have to out dual Peyton to win.  And that's a tall order for anyone.  Especially with the amount of talent Peyton has at receiver.  

The Colts have to somehow find a way to limit the Broncos to FGs in order to keep it close.  There is really no way to stop Manning all together.  He is going to get his yards.  But if the D can limit them to FGs and the O can get rolling that will help.

If, and this is a big if, they Colts can somehow get a lead in the 2nd half then they need to find that running game they talk about and milk to clock.

This game is going to go 1 of 2 ways... Boncos blow out the Colts or a true grinder where it comes down to the last possession.

Colts D needs to figure out how to get pressure with 4 or 5 guys, preferably 4.  Corners need to play physical and blanket their receivers.  Zone should only be used if we are bringing the heat.

Hit Manning hard and often.

1.  Offense

Score Touchdowns when you have the ball.

Run the ball and shorten the game.  We need to do to the Broncos what the Chargers did to us.

Do NOT turn it over.

2.  Special Teams

Make our kicks

McAfee needs to show why he got the franchise tag on Sunday, long punts with a lot of hang time and maybe even getting it out of bounds.

Boom it on kickoffs, no returns Holiday is very dangerous and the last thing we need to do is give Peyton the short field. 

3.  Defense

Make our tackles. 

Stop the run early and make them go to the air, sounds dumb against Manning but the last thing you want to do is let them have multiple ways to move the ball on you.

Force a couple of turnovers.  When you throw as many times a game as the Broncos do one or two of them are going to have a chance to be picked take advantage of it. 

Toler needs to bring his A game I fully expect Manning to go after him based on what I saw on Monday.

Mix up the defenses and try to confuse Manning that's how you beat him.  You make him think more than he should by mixing things up.  Throw something at him he doesn't expect to see.  I think Landry could be key in this role if he can go on Sunday. 

Don't show your blitz with 15 seconds on the play clock and just sit there and let Manning adjust to it like they did on Monday.  Change up your D and give him different looks as the play clock ticks down. 

Don't give up anything cheap and make them earn it by going the length of the field. 

Great post!

Unless I missed it, I will add we need to have our CBs in press coverage and lay a hammer on Wes Welker.  Peyton will then try to pick us apart over the middle.  Toler has to come to play this week....everyone needs to be ready to go.

I agree Landry could be a difference maker with a hit or two on Decker and the Thomas's  Go Colts!!   :coltshelmet:  :coltshelmet:  :coltshelmet: !!!

I think it involves getting pressure on him. I know that is cliche, but it has to happen.

If you blitz, you BETTER disguise it well, if not... game. set. match.

I think we will play alot of nickel defense, so it will be on our front 3 or 4 to get to PM. I think Darius Butler is KEY in this game. He will need to blanket Wes Welker and blanket him WELL.

I also think that RJF, Chap, etc. are key in the run game. We have got to stop the run game without bringing Laron in the box every single play. We need as many guys back there as possible to stop the big play passes.

Sure, it will help to keep Manning off of the field, but when he is on the field, you cant let them have 7 every time.

I think both offenses will have success, but our offense MUST start fast.

I'm still all for my original plan, but I think we can take this team in the playoffs in the cold Denver Altitude later on with that plan, so now I'm actually leaning towards a barn burning QB duel.

With all the hooplah over everything except the actual game, it'd be nice to have Luck come out and score and look magical and put the pressure on PM.

On D:  Our DBs have to pressure off the LOS, push/knock the receivers off their routes disrupt the timing of the throws, and the D-line has to manage to get some pressure on Manning, all while not allowing any of their RBs to gash us for yards.....sounds pretty simple  ;)

On O:  We have to stay on the field, avoid 3rd and longs, turn FGs into TDs, and for the love of all that's holy put some extra stickem on everybody's gloves!!!!!