Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Irsay quotes in USA Today (merge)

The Old Crow

Brady loves to be called inconsistent but a three time champion. :D   The Brady comment takes the cake in my view. He was/is trying to tweak Manning/Polian/Dungy. It was a low blow as was the rest of his comments ...

Eh, agree to disagree.  If Manning comes out and sides with Fox, I'll change my mind.  Irsay's problem was with Polian, more than anyone else.  Polian's the one who couldn't surround Manning with with a consistent D.  To this day it still seems that Polian has issues wtih Irsay.  I mean, Polian wanted to trade Manning and Irsay vetoed it.  That's what the rebuild was all about, Irsay taking his team back.  I just have a hard time believing that two guys could spend 12 years together, Irsay always defending Manning by teh way, all the sudden takes a cheap shot at the guy primarily responsible for making Indy relevant in the NFL.  It doesn't make ANY sense whatsoever.  What promptedi t?  It's just a regular season game.  Even Irsay isn't dumb enough to think that sabatoging the relationship by getting a cheap shot in at Manning is worth it for ONE regular season game for a CHANCE to get Manning frazzled.  And, while I acknowledge it as a rumor, the rumor is that they want to preserve ties with Manning in hopes that he comes back and works in the Colts organization, whether it's coaching or as an executive.

Like I said, it makes no sense whatsoever.

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I find it hypocritical for ESPN to criticize Irsay about the 1 championship comment when for years ESPN has said the same exact thing about the Colts. I'm just annoyed Jim was pulled into the line of thinking in the 1st place. As far as Irsay's comments go, I don't think he was blaming PM, it's just when you have a guy at his talent, it's hard to build a balanced team with the salary cap.

I find it hypocritical for ESPN to criticize Irsay about the 1 championship comment when for years ESPN has said the same exact thing about the Colts. I'm just annoyed Jim was pulled into the line of thinking in the 1st place. As far as Irsay's comments go, I don't think he was blaming PM, it's just when you have a guy at his talent, it's hard to build a balanced team with the salary cap.

It's more difficult, sure, but it's not impossible. What hurt the Colts, especially later on, was poor drafting, overpaying our own free agents, and neglecting to add free agent talent in spots where the roster was light. Not Manning's cap hit. He was worth every penny. 

It's more difficult, sure, but it's not impossible. What hurt the Colts, especially later on, was poor drafting, overpaying our own free agents, and neglecting to add free agent talent in spots where the roster was light. Not Manning's cap hit. He was worth every penny.

He is worth every penny but its hard to sign other teams free agents with with his cap hit. Colts did overpay a few of its own free agents but Polian probably felt it was safer to keep players they knew instead of signing average FAs he didn't know.

He is worth every penny but its hard to sign other teams free agents with with his cap hit. Colts did overpay a few of its own free agents but Polian probably felt it was safer to keep players they knew instead of signing average FAs he didn't know.

That proved to be a poor strategy by Polian.

Top quarterbacks make top money. They're worth it. It was up to Polian to build the team around Manning, and he came up short in some respects, especially in the last four years. I believe the Patriots are doing the same with Brady right now, and his cap hit is more manageable than Manning's was. To me, it misses the mark to complain about the salary of your most important player when you aren't putting the best talent around him that you can.

That proved to be a poor strategy by Polian.

Top quarterbacks make top money. They're worth it. It was up to Polian to build the team around Manning, and he came up short in some respects, especially in the last four years. I believe the Patriots are doing the same with Brady right now, and his cap hit is more manageable than Manning's was. To me, it misses the mark to complain about the salary of your most important player when you aren't putting the best talent around him that you can.

I agree, Bill and Chris made some bad decisions. Bill was probably better at building teams from scratch than maintaining an aging team.

I agree, Bill and Chris made some bad decisions. Bill was probably better at building teams from scratch than maintaining an aging team.

Yeah, I agree there as well. Building through the draft is fine, but when you have a team on the cusp of titles, sometimes you have to plug holes right away. When we did that, we won a Super Bowl. 

The other quotes I posted from Irsay were biting.

I forgot this little nugget too, "[Tom] Brady never had consistent numbers, but he has three of these [rings]," Irsay told USA Today. "Pittsburgh had two, the Giants had two, Baltimore had two and we had one. That leaves you frustrated."

Wow. That is inflamatory. This is the stuff WE talk about up here as fans. Shocking it came from the Colts owner right before playing Manning.

Where have you been. I thought you would have jumped all over those Brady comments.

Where have you been. I thought you would have jumped all over those Brady comments.

I liked the comments. Brady was not putting up Manning's numbers then. He was winning rings. I just can't believe Irsay really said that. I would think that comment would burn Manning the most. Can't wait for Sunday night. What a soap opera. ;)

I am not sure how one could take Irsay's quotes as a diss of Manning. It seems to me if Irsay was being critical of anyone, he was being critical of Polian. Polian was the one drafting players that were not panning out the last several years of his tenure, especially on the offensive and defensive lines.

I liked the comments. Brady was not putting up Manning's numbers then. He was winning rings. I just can't believe Irsay really said that. I would think that comment would burn Manning the most. Can't wait for Sunday night. What a soap opera. ;)

why would it burn manning?  he is basically saying they messed up on everything BUT Manning.  Manning did his job but it wasnt enough to win more super bowls.  He never said anything about not winning SBs because of Manning.  What he was saying is the teams that win superbowls dont do it by having a poor D that forces their QB to have to put up HOF numbers to stay competitive.  

NEVER, i repeat, NEVER in any of his quotes did he say Manning was the reason we didn't win more super bowls.  

You are entitled to your opinion. But, I think that I have read at least 25 of your posts on this topic and it gets to the point where I have to question your motive.

Whether Colt's fan agree with what Irsay has done or not, there isn't much we can do about it now is there? So, why carry on and on and on???

And the situation with Ed Reed is nothing like the situation with Peyton. So just drop that nonsense.

Now, if you really want to make yourself useful; I would suggest that you trot over to the message boards of the 31 other teams and educate the fans on how the owner of the teams they support should handle things if they are ever put in the unique situation that Irsay was.

Why am I a bad guy for just suggesting it would have been better if he had kept quiet this week ?

Colts fans should tell their owner it might be better to stop the tweeting and controversial comments. When Dungy starts saying stuff, you know it's not just the old crow.

why would it burn manning?  he is basically saying they messed up on everything BUT Manning.  Manning did his job but it wasnt enough to win more super bowls.  He never said anything about not winning SBs because of Manning.  What he was saying is the teams that win superbowls dont do it by having a poor D that forces their QB to have to put up HOF numbers to stay competitive.  

NEVER, i repeat, NEVER in any of his quotes did he say Manning was the reason we didn't win more super bowls.  

His original comments were pointed at Manning. He is now back tracking on Twitter to try to easy the media storm but really him disparaging Dungy and Polian would burn Manning as much as the Brady comment.

I can't believe Colt fans would think the Irsay comments would be good.

Why am I a bad guy for just suggesting it would have been better if he had kept quiet this week ?

Colts fans should tell their owner it might be better to stop the tweeting and controversial comments. When Dungy starts saying stuff, you know it's not just the old crow.

Ruff, ruff!

post-5-0-47541500-1381945072_thumb.jpg

Spell it out for me. How is saying that the team wasn't balanced a shot at Manning?

Back to that again? Let me ask you, do you think Manning is ok with the comments? Do you think he even agrees with them that those teams that won 12 games a year for 7 years were so fatally flawed that they could not win even one post-season game? Come on. Enough already. As if it is not bad enough that Manning has to hear everyone call him the greatest regular season Qb, now his own owner who drafted him is saying his time in Indy was a failure because it only produced one ring. Which by the way, is one more than most orgs have. Talk about being a selfish, little man. 

Back to that again? Let me ask you, do you think Manning is ok with the comments? Do you think he even agrees with them that those teams that won 12 games a year for 7 years were so fatally flawed that they could not win even one post-season game? Come on. Enough already. As if it is not bad enough that Manning has to hear everyone call him the greatest regular season Qb, now his own owner who drafted him is saying his time in Indy was a failure because it only produced one ring. Which by the way, is one more than most orgs have. Talk about being a selfish, little man. 

So again, your refusal to answer the question is noted.

Spell out how saying that the team was unbalanced is a shot at Manning.

So again, your refusal to answer the question is noted.

Spell out how saying that the team was unbalanced is a shot at Manning.

No team is balanced in the cap/FA era which is the part you refuse to ignore time and time again. What he is saying is that Manning was not good enough to win with those teams in the post-season even though he put up "Star War' numbers in the regular season.

He used Manning's name time and again. How is that to be interpreted if not a shot at him and his post-season failures?

And you have not answered my question, how do you think Manning feels? Do you think he agrees with Irsay?

His original comments were pointed at Manning. He is now back tracking on Twitter to try to easy the media storm but really him disparaging Dungy and Polian would burn Manning as much as the Brady comment.

You really have an issue with reading comprehension if you believe Irsay's quotes were a shot at Manning or Dungy. Polian yes, but not the former. So he is not back tracking at all and Manning knows full well all the issues with the Colts while he was with them.

No team is balanced in the cap/FA era which is the part you refuse to ignore time and time again. What he is saying is that Manning was not good enough to win with those teams in the post-season even though he put up "Star War' numbers in the regular season.

He used Manning's name time and again. How is that to be interpreted if not a shot at him and his post-season failures?

And you have not answered my question, how do you think Manning feels? Do you think he agrees with Irsay?

No team is entirely balanced. That doesn't mean that the Colts weren't flawed in their makeup.

And what you're inferring from Irsay's comments is just way off base. He didn't imply that Manning wasn't good enough. He said despite the excellent passing game, the team came up short. How you get from that that Irsay thinks MANNING wasn't good enough is beyond me. Like House said, people just see and hear what they want, without regard for what was actually said.

As for what Manning feels, I think he's at odds with Irsay over a lot of things. But I do not think Manning was ever all that satisfied with the way the defense and special teams played when he was here. The defense was consistently underwhelming, and the special teams didn't cover well. Glaring weaknesses. You'd have us think that Irsay just dreamed all this up. And what's so silly about that is that it makes zero sense for Irsay to complain specifically about the special teams and defense if his objective was to undermine Manning. You're not connecting the dots. You're just pushing an agenda.

No team is entirely balanced. That doesn't mean that the Colts weren't flawed in their makeup.

And what you're inferring from Irsay's comments is just way off base. He didn't imply that Manning wasn't good enough. He said despite the excellent passing game, the team came up short. How you get from that that Irsay thinks MANNING wasn't good enough is beyond me. Like House said, people just see and hear what they want, without regard for what was actually said.

As for what Manning feels, I think he's at odds with Irsay over a lot of things. But I do not think Manning was ever all that satisfied with the way the defense and special teams played when he was here. The defense was consistently underwhelming, and the special teams didn't cover well. Glaring weaknesses. You'd have us think that Irsay just dreamed all this up. And what's so silly about that is that it makes zero sense for Irsay to complain specifically about the special teams and defense if his objective was to undermine Manning. You're not connecting the dots. You're just pushing an agenda.

Irsay named Reggie and Marvin by name too. Is he taking shots at them?

And what you're inferring from Irsay's comments is just way off base. He didn't imply that Manning wasn't good enough. He said despite the excellent passing game, the team came up short. How you get from that that Irsay thinks MANNING wasn't good enough is beyond me. Like House said, people just see and hear what they want, without regard for what was actually said.

I don't know of any owner that publicly hangs his GM out to dry and simplifies not winning a SB to the level that Polian does and you fall for it hookline and sinker. He is the owner. He calls all the shots. Why on earth he is finger pointing at Polian (who had a pretty impressive resume before Indy) is the part that is comical if not ridiculous. He may be surpassing Jerry Jones as the craziest owner and that is not easy to do. Even if you want to believe he was not calling out Manning directly, how on earth Manning could not be offended and hurt by his comments would be super human. I think you are right. Manning probaby has many issues with Irsay and these comments got added to the list. Did you catch the part where he shared a private conversation he had with Manning where Peyton "apparently" told him he would be foolish not to draft Luck? Think Manning is not fuming over that? A private comment made public!? Assuming he even said it which I highly doubt.

I don't know of any owner that publicly hangs his GM out to dry and simplifies not winning a SB to the level that Polian does and you fall for it hookline and sinker. He is the owner. He calls all the shots. Why on earth he is finger pointing at Polian (who had a pretty impressive resume before Indy) is the part that is comical if not ridiculous. He may be surpassing Jerry Jones as the craziest owner and that is not easy to do. Even if you want to believe he was not calling out Manning directly, how on earth Manning could not be offended and hurt by his comments would be super human. I think you are right. Manning probaby has many issues with Irsay and these comments got added to the list. Did you catch the part where he shared a private conversation he had with Manning where Peyton "apparently" told him he would be foolish not to draft Luck? Think Manning is not fuming over that? A private comment made public!? Assuming he even said it which I highly doubt.

You ought to pick a lane.

Polian is not Irsay's GM. He was, then he was fired. Irsay is spelling out why he chose to go in a different direction, and those reasons have been discussed ad nauseum on this very board for two years now. Nothing that Irsay said is new, surprising, shocking. Polian was the architect, Irsay wasn't satisfied with the results and wanted a different approach. Is that not his right?

As for Manning being offended by Irsay's comments, that's not for me to decide. What I am convinced of, however, is that Irsay's comments were NOT directed at Manning. Ill-advised? Probably. Poorly worded? Maybe. But intended as a shot at Manning? Absolutely not.

Edited by Superman

You ought to pick a lane.

Polian is not Irsay's GM. He was, then he was fired. Irsay is spelling out why he chose to go in a different direction, and those reasons have been discussed ad nauseum on this very board for two years now. Nothing that Irsay said is new, surprising, shocking. Polian was the architect, Irsay wasn't satisfied with the results and wanted a different approach. Is that not his right?

As for Manning being offended by Irsay's comments, that's not for me to decide. What I am convinced of, however, is that Irsay's comments were NOT directed at Manning.

Why rehash it then? Why does he feel the need to continually defend what he did if the system was so flawed? And share the private conversation with Manning? The one thing I am convinced of is that Manning is going to come in with his eyes blazing on Sunday night and Polian has painted himself and the org as selfish and ungrateful while throwing his former mgmt team and by extension Manning under the bus. Like I said, winning SBs is not that simple. Every team is flawed. Very few have won at the rate the Colts did during the Polian era.

I just have a hard time believing that Peyton Manning would willingly offer his recommendation of his INDY replacement Jvan. I will admit that I have no proof on this. I wasn't in the room that's true. However, if your boss is about to fire you from the only NFL job you have ever known, do you seriously think you would offer your boss genuine feedback about what person should replace you? I highly doubt that.

I have every reason to believe Peyton knew that Andrew Luck was the top of his class. It should have been obvious for all to see that. Perhaps he never realized that once he did so the gig was up, and he would be released outright. He was holding on to hope... just as some are holding on to the past. The right choice was made here to move on.

Why rehash it then? Why does he feel the need to continually defend what he did if the system was so flawed? And share the private conversation with Manning? The one thing I am convinced of is that Manning is going to come in with his eyes blazing on Sunday night and Polian has painted himself and the org as selfish and ungrateful while throwing his mgmt team and by his extension Manning under the bus.

That's what makes no sense. How does highlighting what he thought his (former) management team did wrong have anything to do with Manning?

To answer the question, Irsay rehashed it because he wanted to. Again, that's his right. He's the owner, he was asked a question, and he gave his thoughts. I don't know that he stated his position as clearly as he should have, and I don't know that he was well served to have made the comments he made. But that doesn't mean he was wrong to speak his mind. What's ridiculous is the amount of twisting and distorting that has to be done to make his comments seem like they were intended as a shot at Peyton Manning.

That's what makes no sense. How does highlighting what he thought his (former) management team did wrong have anything to do with Manning?

To answer the question, Irsay rehashed it because he wanted to. Again, that's his right. He's the owner, he was asked a question, and he gave his thoughts. I don't know that he stated his position as clearly as he should have, and I don't know that he was well served to have made the comments he made. But that doesn't mean he was wrong to speak his mind. What's ridiculous is the amount of twisting and distorting that has to be done to make his comments seem like they were intended as a shot at Peyton Manning.

What is ridiculous is the fact that you have an owner that is complaining at all given he won a ring and had the highest winning percentage of any team for the '00 decade AND got Andrew Luck instead of Geno Smith. I mean really what on earth is he griping about? Try being the Lions owner or the Jets or the Jags ...

We can agree to disagree about his intent toward Manning ....

What is ridiculous is the fact that you have an owner that is complaining at all given he won a ring and had the highest winning percentage of any team for the '00 decade AND got Andrew Luck. I mean really what on earth is he griping about? Try being the Lions owner or the Jets or the Jags ...

Outside of that one Superbowl victory, when the final whistle blew our season didn't mean anymore or less than the Lions'. It was fun, but at times it felt like I was reading Romeo and Juliet and convincing myself that this time they will live happily ever after.

What is ridiculous is the fact that you have an owner that is complaining at all given he won a ring and had the highest winning percentage of any team for the '00 decade AND got Andrew Luck. I mean really what on earth is he griping about? Try being the Lions owner or the Jets or the Jags ...

You mean, you can insist on twisting Irsay's words to mean what you want them to mean.

By the way, there's a difference between complaining and explaining. Irsay said he wanted better results, and there's absolutely nothing wrong with that. As special as the Polian built team was, they were deficient. Irsay looked at that run and said 'We had one of the best offenses in the league, one of the best quarterbacks, and we only won one Super Bowl? I want more than that, and I think we need to improve our defense and special teams to have a better shot this time around. I'm going to hire a team builder who will be more balanced in his approach.' That's good ownership, not poor ownership.

Also, it's hilarious how you can promote the overall accomplishments of the Polian era, but when it's about quarterbacks, "rings are the only thing that matters." Once again, you're talking out of both sides of your mouth.

What is ridiculous is the fact that you have an owner that is complaining at all given he won a ring and had the highest winning percentage of any team for the '00 decade AND got Andrew Luck instead of Geno Smith. I mean really what on earth is he griping about? Try being the Lions owner or the Jets or the Jags ...

Had the team made better choices, and been more balanced we would have won more that one Super Bowl.

Wait... are you not the one who is always talking about how it is all about the rings in threads on the other side?

SVP (scott van pelt) and Rusillo are talking about this today and SVP basically says Irsay is another Jerry Jones and I agree.  He brings up they way Irsay was doing a lot to focus attention on himself while the Super Bowl was going on.  I'm sure there's threads in the archive that will support this.

The problem with what Irsay said was that he sounds ungrateful for the most successful run ever in Colts history with Peyton at the helm.  By bringing up the 7 of 11 one and dones it looks like he's pointing fingers a little.

The point is, shut ur mouth Jim and take a classy leadership role in this team and in the community.  You don't need to hog the spotlight...learn the definition of humility.

SVP (scott van pelt) and Rusillo are talking about this today and SVP basically says Irsay is another Jerry Jones and I agree.  He brings up they way Irsay was doing a lot to focus attention on himself while the Super Bowl was going on.  I'm sure there's threads in the archive that will support this.

The problem with what Irsay said was that he sounds ungrateful for the most successful run ever in Colts history with Peyton at the helm.  By bringing up the 7 of 11 one and dones it looks like he's pointing fingers a little.

The point is, shut ur mouth Jim and take a classy leadership role in this team and in the community.  You don't need to hog the spotlight...learn the definition of humility.

That's the convenient narrative. Problem is, it doesn't hold up to scrutiny. And the problem with that is that most people don't bother to think about things before the form an opinion, and then once they form an opinion, they refuse to adjust. 

You mean, you can insist on twisting Irsay's words to mean what you want them to mean.

By the way, there's a difference between complaining and explaining. Irsay said he wanted better results, and there's absolutely nothing wrong with that. As special as the Polian built team was, they were deficient. Irsay looked at that run and said 'We had one of the best offenses in the league, one of the best quarterbacks, and we only won one Super Bowl? I want more than that, and I think we need to improve our defense and special teams to have a better shot this time around. I'm going to hire a team builder who will be more balanced in his approach.' That's good ownership, not poor ownership.

Also, it's hilarious how you can promote the overall accomplishments of the Polian era, but when it's about quarterbacks, "rings are the only thing that matters." Once again, you're talking out of both sides of your mouth.

Well said, Superman.

Ignore the troll.