Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

nfl power rankings , colts rank 6

mintor

2013 NFL Power Rankings: Week 5

look the colts are rank 6 in this week ranking s , but the true test is at seattle seahawks.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/powerrankings

The Texans almost beating the Seahawks gives me some belief that we might be able to win that game as I don't see Luck throwing a pick 6 at the end of the game like that.

But it's still going to be a rough game.  

Bleacher report has the Colts at 14...I realize some teams have has tougher schedules, but Oakland will put up a fight, Miami has great D decent offense, 49ers, the Jags are the only high school football team we played so far......We scored more points against them than Seattle did!  Bleacher Report writers are smoking something Titans lose Jake Locker and jump 4 spots to 12, and the Colts have a 37-3 win and drop 2.......Seattle and Indy has almost identical numbers in every category, should be a great game!!!

Seattle defense will be big test.  Not sure there's many defenses better than theirs.  The good thing is we have Reggie Wayne, who will test them.  That will be a huge battle all day.  We Need TRich to bust through, but we also need Pep to be a little more creative with TRich.

I don't get the Patriots.  Everyone seems to have them at 3 or 4, and there's not a single statistical ranking they have better than the Colts (while probably playing slightly worse teams than the Colts).  That last part can be disputed, but: Colts - SF, Mia., Oak, Jax; NE - Buff, NYJ, TB, and Atlanta.  The statistical categories are as follows:

Total Offense Rank (yds/gm): Colts 10, NE 11

Total Defense Rank (yds/gm): Colts 8, NE 16

Total Scoring Offense Rank (pts/gm): Colts 8, NE 19

Total Scoring Defense Rank (pts/gm): Colts 4, NE 6

The moral of the story: the press' love affair with the Patriots continues.  I personally have the Patriots at #9 on my power rankings and the Colts at #6.  I think that's fair and balanced!

Wonder why they would move the Colts down? I just saw this is the wrong week, but they still moved the Colts down for the correct week.

I don't get the Patriots. Everyone seems to have them at 3 or 4, and there's not a single statistical ranking they have better than the Colts (while probably playing slightly worse teams than the Colts). That last part can be disputed, but: Colts - SF, Mia., Oak, Jax; NE - Buff, NYJ, TB, and Atlanta. The statistical categories are as follows:

Total Scoring Offense Rank (pts/gm): Colts 8, NE 19

The moral of the story: the press' love affair with the Patriots continues. I personally have the Patriots at #9 on my power rankings and the Colts at #6. I think that's fair and balanced!

Thats probably not far off, though youre wrong about who the love affair is with. The media is convinced that Atlanta is good, even though theyve shown little to indicate anything beyond mediocre, so that bumps thw patriots because of a win in the Georgia Dome. What also boosts them is Buffalo looks better than expected, making that win inflated as well.

Indy takes hits right now because the close loss to Miami is less sexy since they got pasted in primetime by the Saints. The fact that two of the games are Oakland (who are still under rated imo), and Jacksonville also hurts. Really the only feather in Indy's cap as far as power rankings is concerned is the convincing win in SF.

Advanced metrics help decide it to, and they're a help to Indy, but not by much. The offense is doing stellar in advanced stats, ranking 3rd in the league and with no real gimmick to point to as the obvious reason why.

The defense suffers tremendously though. Advanced metrics places the Colts defense as a more pedestrian rank 26 in the league (KC has the best defense stat wise for reference). Most of that is on strength of opponent, as oakland, jacksonville, and SF all have low ranking offenses early on, making the defense's numbers against them all adjust up.

The SF numbers will likely gain more clout as the season wears on, but through the first quarter of the season all the Indy defense has proven is its good at beating up on bad offenses, which naturally means they are not a factor in determining power rankings.

Going purely and stats, w-l records, and whos beaten who, Indy actually probably ranks around 7-8, but that does not take in to account other teams' placements, which would naturally raise and lower the rankings based around how everyone else is doing.

tl; dr: 14 is probably low, 6 is probably a tad high.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1791579-nfl-power-rankings-week-5-where-does-every-team-stand

If you guys want a good laugh read these rankings. Absolutely hysterical. Guy has no clue what he's talking about.

He likely doesnt buy the defense as legit yet. The advanced numbers back him up for the time being, as strength of schedule says the defense's success may be a mirage created by the bad offenses Indy has played. Its early in the season still, and the defense will have its chance to prove that wrong, but through the first four weeks, the Colts defense is not a + or a - in power ranking consideration.

Still a top tier offense with an ultra effecient QB though. Advanced metrics love both Pep's system and Luck.

He likely doesnt buy the defense as legit yet. The advanced numbers back him up for the time being, as strength of schedule says the defense's success may be a mirage created by the bad offenses Indy has played. Its early in the season still, and the defense will have its chance to prove that wrong, but through the first four weeks, the Colts defense is not a + or a - in power ranking consideration.

Still a top tier offense with an ultra effecient QB though. Advanced metrics love both Pep's system and Luck.

There are 10 teams in the NFL with a winning record. Strength of schedule doesn't mean much to a lot of teams right now.

By the way, the Colts being 14 isn't the only thing funny about that list. I believe he has a 1-3 team in the top 10 as well

There are 10 teams in the NFL with a winning record. Strength of schedule doesn't mean much to a lot of teams right now.

By the way, the Colts being 14 isn't the only thing funny about that list. I believe he has a 1-3 team in the top 10 as well

Strength of schedule in advanced metrics throws out wins and losses. It uses the raw numbers of every NFL team to create an average, then grades each team by how many standard deviations above or below each stat they are. The rankings are then averaged out to determine the oposing unit's strenth.

Using this method, and adjusting the stats up and down per game to reflect how it would have been vs the NFL average, the defense is 26th in the league, largely because all of their numbers are given large handicaps from facing some of the worst offenses going.

The offense has no such issue, and is currently considered top 5.

Again, defense shows flashes, but numbers show they have proved only the potential to be good, as they havent been tested by anything considered good yet.

if we beat seattle by a large margin and assert our dominance, there's no reason we shouldnt be right behind the broncos! Colts are as a complete team as the broncos, set on offense (minus allen of course!) and defense...what more can i say

New Orleans is better and has played stronger teams. New England's weapons are more proven. If Indy cracks the top 5 it will be at position 4, tops.

remember luck has 2 dif oc  and 2 dif coach,s  first 2 years were Russell Wilson had the  both years only one coach and one oc . alot dif luck learn new pep system he was slow the last 6 quarters try get caught up too new one.

New Orleans is better and has played stronger teams. New England's weapons are more proven. If Indy cracks the top 5 it will be at position 4, tops.

No they are not. If Gronk was playing sure, but outside of him there is no threat they have that is any more proven than anybody we have. They look decent because of the arm throwing them the ball.

Well he has the Niners at 7 I believe. 

I don't get the Patriots. Everyone seems to have them at 3 or 4, and there's not a single statistical ranking they have better than the Colts (while probably playing slightly worse teams than the Colts). That last part can be disputed, but: Colts - SF, Mia., Oak, Jax; NE - Buff, NYJ, TB, and Atlanta. The statistical categories are as follows:

Total Scoring Offense Rank (pts/gm): Colts 8, NE 19

The moral of the story: the press' love affair with the Patriots continues. I personally have the Patriots at #9 on my power rankings and the Colts at #6. I think that's fair and balanced!

Yep!!! Espn also thinks thier probably the only team that has a chance to compete with denver in the AFC right now. You watch I bet a good amount of the analyst will be picking the Patriots to go the superbowl if the continue to win because they are the Patriots! Gotta give credit to them though, Tom is still making that offense work and be quite effective with basically all no name recievers. It also does say alot about how Bill is able to constantly adjust as a head coach and still find ways to have his team win and be successful. Although I think a fair amount of that cridit should go to Brady because of what he does for that offense and that team. Be intersting to see hiw things develop.

No they are not. If Gronk was playing sure, but outside of him there is no threat they have that is any more proven than anybody we have. They look decent because of the arm throwing them the ball.

And Brady is all you need to keep the Patriots in the top 5 so long as everything else isn't crumbling around him. It may actually get better at this point, so nobody is going to knock them down a spot until something major happens.