Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

PFF Grades vs 49ers

HtownColt

@ryandaryk: Colts Offensive line PFF Grades: Castonzo (+4.0) Link (-3.6) McGlynn (-1.3) Thornton (+1.4) Cherilus (+1.0)

Joe Reitz (+1.5 run block) when he was brought in as an extra blocker.

@TylerDBrooke: For defense, Jerrell Freeman had highest grade of 2.9 and Erick Walden with lowest (WOW! Really?!) of -3.2

Castonzo was highest grade on O, Link was worst grade on O.

Here is the Refo of the game: https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2013/09/23/refo-ind-sf-week-3/

Not surprised at all. Coffeedrinker and I were commenting on Link being the weakest link because everytime a push happened against the Colts in pass protection, it was in his direction. I think they should give Joe Reitz a chance at RG, to be honest and I firmly believe he plays with better leverage in pass protection.

Erik Walden really isn't as bad as people make him out to be. He has to be the most hated Colt now that everyone likes McGlynn lol.

I thought Walden did well & when that play happened where Kapernick ran to the left sideline, Walden contained him well cause if not Kap's gone up the right sideline for at least 10-20 yards

Not surprised at all. Coffeedrinker and I were commenting on Link being the weakest link because everytime a push happened against the Colts in pass protection, it was in his direction. I think they should give Joe Reitz a chance at RG, to be honest and I firmly believe he plays with better leverage in pass protection.

Reitz gave up no sacks last year. Should be better than Link. They have Joe in the heavy package at TE/ Extreme T haha.

Maybe they really prefer him on the outside rather than Linko for now anyway. We are just getting started.

You know who will be back playing slightly injured sometime. ;- (

@ryandaryk: Colts Offensive line PFF Grades: Castonzo (+4.0) Link (-3.6) McGlynn (-1.3) Thornton (+1.4) Cherilus (+1.0)

@TylerDBrooke: For defense, Jerrell Freeman had highest grade of 2.9 and Erick Walden with lowest (WOW! Really?!) of -3.2

Here is the Refo of the game: https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2013/09/23/refo-ind-sf-week-3/

Seems in the ball park.

With this 3 game sample, as others have shared, Freeman makes plays and looks really good around the line of scrimmage and just so so in coverage. Glad we have him.   Go Colts!

Erik Walden really isn't as bad as people make him out to be. He has to be the most hated Colt now that everyone likes McGlynn lol.

I thought Walden did well & when that play happened where Kapernick ran to the left sideline, Walden contained him well cause if not Kap's gone up the right sideline for at least 10-20 yards

It's because people don't understand what his job is in this defense.

It's because people don't understand what his job is in this defense.

For a guy who makes $4 mil a year, he should make at least something of an impact. If his job is to just make sure backs don't get outside, then they could have paid me $100,000 a year to do that. Good OLBs actually make plays and get penetration, they don't just stand around and 'hold the edge'. Six tackles and zero sacks is not production from a guy of his pay scale and position.

For a guy who makes $4 mil a year, he should make at least something of an impact. If his job is to just make sure backs don't get outside, then they could have paid me $100,000 a year to do that. Good OLBs actually make plays and get penetration, they don't just stand around and 'hold the edge'. Six tackles and zero sacks is not production from a guy of his pay scale and position.

The guy has played a total of 3 games in the NFL. But you seem to think he needs to play like an all star. The step from college to the pros is a huge step and sometimes it takes time. As well as the Colts played you want to nit pick?  

The guy has played a total of 3 games in the NFL. But you seem to think he needs to play like an all star. The step from college to the pros is a huge step and sometimes it takes time. As well as the Colts played you want to nit pick?  

I believe Peytonator was referring to Walden and his 4 mil per year

Reitz is a better pass blocker than Link for sure Reitz IMO is a good pass blocker in general. Long arms & nice feet! Surprised Link started?

I don't know enough about how PFF comes up with their grades.  But I can't believe they know every players assignments.

It may look like Walden is missing setting the edge, when he's supposed to crash down the line.  It may look like Link is missing a block, when that wasn't his primary assignment.

They may be right in how they grade, I'm not saying they don't know what they're doing.  I just don't know if they know what they should know... ya know?

This site is comical...  they ranked the Jets and BROWNS in the top 5 OL's last season.   

really?   Does Gavin run this site?   hehee..

I might Add..    that Andrew L was ranked in the 20's last season by this site.   BUT his team won 11 games.

Go figure  

I don't know enough about how PFF comes up with their grades.  But I can't believe they know every players assignments.

It may look like Walden is missing setting the edge, when he's supposed to crash down the line.  It may look like Link is missing a block, when that wasn't his primary assignment.

They may be right in how they grade, I'm not saying they don't know what they're doing.  I just don't know if they know what they should know... ya know?

They have admitted they don't always know assignments, but they claim it doesn't happen often enough to matter......yeah right. Bill Belichick said a couple weeks that when he watches tape, he knows something went wrong, but he often doesn't know who was at fault.

they don't know their assignments.

ross tucker was talking on sirius nfl channel about them and mentioned to an oline coach about a certain player being graded highly on pff.  the coach laughed and said that the guy blocked fine, but always the wrong player.

pff grades should be taken for what they are.  guys that have no idea what they are doing grading people on their jobs.  which they dont even understand

They have admitted they don't always know assignments, but they claim it doesn't happen often enough to matter......yeah right. Bill Belichick said a couple weeks that when he watches tape, he knows something went wrong, but he often doesn't know who was at fault.

i dont believe that for a second.

belichick knows exactly what went wrong and whose fault it was

27-7 on the road and totally >>)&& slap the home team and the "NEW" C and both G's get ....    poo poo grades.

what has been the issue with this team up until yesterday?   PRESSURE UP THE MIDDLE.

NOT a  tad yesterday.

Rock on PFF.

our interior oline did not play nearly as well as you think

they don't know their assignments.

ross tucker was talking on sirius nfl channel about them and mentioned to an oline coach about a certain player being graded highly on pff. the coach laughed and said that the guy blocked fine, but always the wrong player.

pff grades should be taken for what they are. guys that have no idea what they are doing grading people on their jobs. which they dont even understand

Yeah, one of PFF's guys was on with Tucker on his podcast....he like the site, but he kinda called them out on a few things. Their burn rate stat for DB's is the most irrelevant stat ever.

Or move Reitz to LG where he has 2 yrs of experience. We could then move Thornton to RG and leave McGlynn at C.

The last thing you want to do against read-option, trap blocks, athletic QBs and pulling guards is "make plays and get penetration".

I might Add..    that Andrew L was ranked in the 20's last season by this site.   BUT his team won 11 games.

Go figure  

I feel pretty sure that ranking was because of his 18 interceptions.  The interceptions are the first (and usually only) stat people use when they want to say that Andrew Luck is not a good quarterback.  Few want to acknowledge that he was working a less complete team.

This site is comical...  they ranked the Jets and BROWNS in the top 5 OL's last season.   

Go figure  

You can play great in the clutch or when the game is close but average at best for 3 quarters, I dont see how thats hard to understand, Trent Dilfer and the Bucs won the SB a few years ago. would you say he was a top QB at that time who deserved a high ranking all because his team won enough to get to and win the SB? I certainly would not

Go figure  

The were ranked there because they WERE that good. Just because Sanchez and Weeden haven't succeeded, doesn't mean their O-lines are at fault. Its like the blame the gets passed on to the O-line here when Luck wants to hold on to the ball forever, or fail to recognize where the blitz comes from and gets sacked. Not to say that our O-line has been great, but it has been decent. Luck holding on to the ball to long last week in the second half against Miami, and his lapses on adapting to Oaklands blitzes were way more on him than the O-line.