QB Hits (Worst 5):

1. Cleveland Browns - 19 QB Hits

2. New York Jets - 14 QB Hits

3. Atlanta Falcons - 13 QB Hits

4. Arizona Cardinals - 10 QB Hits

4. Indianapolis Colts - 10 QB Hits

Source: Advanced NFL Stats

Better trade for an OL-man than a RB

if we can find one better than what we have.  I would say with Donald Thomas out though they might look for a guard. 

The plus side of things with the line is that while not as good as we want it to be the run blocking has gotten better.  I also thought Thornton played well today in his first extended action.  At least till the fourth quarter when the heat was really coming from up the middle which means the guards and center were struggling along with the backs as we saw with Brown on that last play.  It might not be a bad idea if we look fro a back to look for a third down guy.  Heck I am okay with giving a call to Addai to see if he can still play because at least with Addai you know you got solid blocking.  With that said I would almost be shocked if he can still play at this point.  But a workout just to confirm it might not be a bad thing. 

I don't know I want the line to be better too but I am not sure who we can get mid season that a team would part with that would be better than what we have.  I've always looked at the line as a work in progress this season.  Young guys in Thornton and Holmes getting their feet wet and starting to learn.  GC looked much better today at right tackle.  Castonzo is what he is at left tackle but I doubt we will find someone better in the middle of the season.  The two spots you could maybe upgrade are right guard and center but honestly at this point you would be kinda renting players because you would hope Holmes is the answer at center and Thornton should be the answer at right guard next year once Thomas is healthy. 

I know this isn't a popular answer but patience might be the best policy right and remember this team was not designed to win a Super Bowl this year when we drafted Luck last year.  That was supposed to be the start of a rebuilding process and I know what the coaches have said but they have to say that.  You don't exactly sell a lot of tickets coming off a 2-14 season and cutting the most popular player in the history of the franchise by saying hey folks it's going to be a little while till we are good again.  Last year's team really over achieved.  Sorry but they did and they clearly had something very powerful motivating them.  It reminded me a lot of the Colts during Manning's second season when they won 13 games and it was shades of things to come not what that team really was.  The next year they won 10 which is probably closer to the talent level they had.  Well you might see that with this team.  A team that should be an 8 to 9 win team won 11 last year and might win fewer this year.  If that happens it's not a bad thing it's water finding it's level.  The key will becoming back the following year and winning 11 games or more again.  If they don't then you have to start to wonder if we have the right people in place. 

This team had a lot of holes to fill and frankly still has some.  Just remember this is almost bonus winning now because we cut Manning because we knew we were going into rebuilding and went with the QB who would help us win in the future.  If you think about that just try to enjoy the wins as they come.  Before someone jumps me for it that doesn't mean people can't point out flaws as they see them.  They can just try to keep a little perspective on the situation that's all.  This is a young team that is still finding it's way. 

I would agree though finding the right guys to protect the franchise QB is an extremely important part of the process. 

Sacks (Worst 5):

1. Brandon Weeden (Cleveland) - 11 Sacks

2. Geno Smith (NY Jets) - 9 Sacks

2. Ryan Tannehill (Miami) - 9 Sacks

4. Andrew Luck (Indianapolis) - 7 Sacks

4. Cam Newton (Carolina) - 7 Sacks

Source: nfl.com

QB Hits (Worst 5):

On pace to be about the same as last season.  So we lost an OC in Arians, replaced him with a worse OC in Hamilton who was supposed to limit the hits, and we still get our QB hit way too much.

On pace to be about the same as last season.  So we lost an OC in Arians, replaced him with a worse OC in Hamilton who was supposed to limit the hits, and we still get our QB hit way too much.

How is Pep worse? We are only averaging a total 1.4 yards less a game then we did last season, we are, running 1 less time believe it or not on average then we did under Arians and running for a 1.2 better average ypc under Pep. Did I mention were moving the ball further down the field more efficiently under Pep to? 5.8 yards per gain average this year compared to 5.2 last year. Andrew will continue to get hit until 1 of 3 things happen.....1. he learns what a check down receiver is on a fairly consistent basis......2.He gets rid of the ball and stops with the happy feet 3.We get a physical wr that can get open consistently

Sacks (Worst 5):

1. Brandon Weeden (Cleveland) - 11 Sacks

2. Geno Smith (NY Jets) - 9 Sacks

2. Ryan Tannehill (Miami) - 9 Sacks

4. Andrew Luck (Indianapolis) - 7 Sacks

4. Cam Newton (Carolina) - 7 Sacks

Source: nfl.com

QB Hits (Worst 5):

It's 14 QB Hits, not 10

How is Pep worse? We are only averaging a total 1.4 yards less a game then we did last season, we are, running 1 less time believe it or not on average then we did under Arians and running for a 1.2 better average ypc under Pep. Did I mention were moving the ball further down the field more efficiently under Pep to? 5.8 yards per gain average this year compared to 5.2 last year. Andrew will continue to get hit until 1 of 3 things happen.....1. he learns what a check down receiver is on a fairly consistent basis......2.He gets rid of the ball and stops with the happy feet 3.We get a physical wr that can get open consistently

The only offensive category where we are really better this year is rushing.  And moving the ball downfield efficently does no good if the drives don't end in points. Were averaging close to 3 points fewer so far. Arian's is a superbowl winning OC, i think he is better then Pep at this point. Disagree if you would like.

As for Luck, if he starts throwing the ball away everytime there is pressure, the Colts aren't going to move the ball.  A throw away might as well be a sack anyway.  It still indicates either poor blocking or receivers not getting open.   He has 10 rushing attempts in 2 games so far, so you can add those to the total of times where he has had a less then desirable pocket.  A couple of those rushes he had to shrug off defenders all over him.   If Pep is the great OC you think he is, why is Luck being forced to hold the ball as long as he is to begin with?  Isn't the concept of this offense quick short hitting passes?  If the receivers aren't getting open, who's fault is that? Who is the one drawing up the plays? They were getting open in the first half yesterday, what happened in the 2nd?

The only offensive category where we are really better this year is rushing. And moving the ball downfield efficently does no good if the drives don't end in points. Were averaging close to 3 points fewer so far. Arian's is a superbowl winning OC, i think he is better then Pep at this point. Disagree if you would like.

As for Luck, if he starts throwing the ball away everytime there is pressure, the Colts aren't going to move the ball. A throw away might as well be a sack anyway. It still indicates either poor blocking or receivers not getting open. He has 10 rushing attempts in 2 games so far, so you can add those to the total of times where he has had a less then desirable pocket. A couple of those rushes he had to shrug off defenders all over him. If Pep is the great OC you think he is, why is Luck being forced to hold the ball as long as he is to begin with? Isn't the concept of this offense quick short hitting passes? If the receivers aren't getting open, who's fault is that? Who is the one drawing up the plays? They were getting open in the first half yesterday, what happened in the 2nd?

i think Arians is a better OC than Pep at this point too that's why Arians got the job first. However, we didn't fire Arians for Pep. He left for something we couldn't give him a Head Coaching job. It's not like we were pushing Arians out the door if the Cards didn't hire him we would have welcomed him back with open arms.

i think Arians is a better OC than Pep at this point too that's why Arians got the job first. However, we didn't fire Arians for Pep. He left for something we couldn't give him a Head Coaching job. It's not like we were pushing Arians out the door if the Cards didn't hire him we would have welcomed him back with open arms.

Yes i'm aware of that. Thats why i said we lost Arians in my original post instead of let go.  I thought one of the reasons Pep was hired  was to go to more of a quick hitting passing attack that would increase Lucks completion rate as well as limit hits. But he's being hit and sacked at nearly the same rate.

And i agree with you, if the Colts thought Pep was better then Bruce they would have hired him first.

Thr Jets really don't have that bad of an O-line pass blocking wise. Their run game is at least mediocre, too. Just goes to show had bad Geno is...he holds on to that football all day and has zero pocket awareness.

He actually didn't look that horrible. He's still a rookie, you know

He actually didn't look that horrible. He's still a rookie, you know

I respectfully disagree.

snewPDR.png

Only Blaine Gabbert put up crappier numbers through two weeks.

(Campbell, Foles, and Kerley only threw 1-4 times, so I discount them. Plus Kerley is a WR on the Jets.)

Omitting the stats, he showed no pocket awareness, moved TOWARD pressure,  "burped the baby", couldn't check down to save his life, and was 50/50 on both long and short passes. Some of those were dropped by the inept Jets receivers and TE's, of course. This is all in spite of a run game, D, and pass blocking that performed more than adequate all night. Even a below average QB display would have won that game, but he was just bad.

Omitting the issues listed above,  he threw three picks in the last 11 minutes VS NE which were all terrible passes. He got a reprieve vs TB with a boneheaded personal foul that cost TB the game.

Sure, Geno is a rookie. He's still better than Sanchez by default,  and can only get better. Unfortunately for him, the inept NYJ coaching is not the squad to bring anything out of Geno if something more is to be found.

As for Luck, if he starts throwing the ball away everytime there is pressure, the Colts aren't going to move the ball.  A throw away might as well be a sack anyway.  It still indicates either poor blocking or receivers not getting open.  

Or it could also mean Luck didn't read the play properly or targeted a specific receiver and was trying to wait for that receiver to get open instead of going to his next read.  Maybe he was trying to push the ball down the field instead of taking a checkdown for a short gain....something he said he needed to improve on in a post-game interview.  Point being, the offensive issues may not necessarily be entirely on Pep. 

If Pep is the great OC you think he is, why is Luck being forced to hold the ball as long as he is to begin with?

You're the only one who said Luck is being "force" to hold onto the ball too long.  Pretty much everyone else, Luck included, has said he has a tendency to do that on his own and that's something about his game that he needs to work on.

Isn't the concept of this offense quick short hitting passes?

It is, but Luck has to read and be willing to hit those short passes.  The WR's also need to get open consistently.

If the receivers aren't getting open, who's fault is that?

Mike McGlynn's?

They were getting open in the first half yesterday, what happened in the 2nd?

Heyward-Bey got hurt and wasn't on the field.  So instead of having Wayne, DHB and Hilton to cover, the defense had Wayne, Hilton and Whalen.  DHB >> Whalen...maybe not in regards to hands but as far as speed, agility, ability to get open and ability to draw coverage.

Or it could also mean Luck didn't read the play properly or targeted a specific receiver and was trying to wait for that receiver to get open instead of going to his next read.  Maybe he was trying to push the ball down the field instead of taking a checkdown for a short gain....something he said he needed to improve on in a post-game interview.  Point being, the offensive issues may not necessarily be entirely on Pep. 

You're the only one who said Luck is being "force" to hold onto the ball too long.  Pretty much everyone else, Luck included, has said he has a tendency to do that on his own and that's something about his game that he needs to work on.

It is, but Luck has to read and be willing to hit those short passes.  The WR's also need to get open consistently.

Mike McGlynn's?

Heyward-Bey got hurt and wasn't on the field.  So instead of having Wayne, DHB and Hilton to cover, the defense had Wayne, Hilton and Whalen.  DHB >> Whalen...maybe not in regards to hands but as far as speed, agility, ability to get open and ability to draw coverage.

If Luck throws a ball away, chances are no receiver had gotten open.  Otherwise, instead of throwing a ball away, he would throw it to the open receiver. There will always be a time or 2 where a blitz is missed by a QB, but the majority of pressure is caused either by poor blocking or receivers not getting open, which leads to holding onto the ball.  I think a lot of people only focus on the times where Luck is actually sacked, but his footwork in the pocket to avoid other would be sacks and hits is incredible. 10 rushes in 2 games and probably half of those should have been sacks and turned into big gains. 

The concept of the offense is quick hitting passes, or at least thats what we were led to believe.  If Luck is holding onto the ball too long, doesn't that mean again receivers aren't likely getting open?  I know what Luck said, he mans up and takes the blame for everything, i also know it's a bunch of PR.  And you are right, he isn't forced to hold the ball.  He could throw it away, which basically does the same as a sack except he doesn't get hurt.  But in terms of the game, it's a lost down either way. There should be no waiting for a specific guy to get open, the concept of the offense is shorter drops and quick hitters, or so they say. Last years offense was different, i could see standing back there waiting on a guy, most of the routes were 15-20 yd routes.  This offense right now in my opinion is a joke. There is no identity.  No coast is more like no clue.

Your 3rd point. Are you suggesting that Luck is not willing to follow the offense and make throws to the open receivers?   Lets just say i disagree. He may miss a couple guys over the course of a game but i don't think he's unwilling to hit open receivers.  You are right bout receivers getting open though, that needs to happen.

Nope, not Mcglynn's.  I would expect an NFL coordinator to be able to find a way to get his receivers open though for more then one half.

I could maybe agree with DHB, except for the fact that we struggled with the same exact thing last week and DHB was on the field.  You got Reggie Wayne and Hilton in the game and you can't find a way to get anyone open? We didn't have DHB last year and guys managed to find there way open.

BTW, do you ever have much positive to say about Luck?  I have noticed in several threads that you seem to pile a lot of the blame on his shoulders ?  He is by no means perfect but not quite as awful as you make him out to be either.  I think i know why this is, but not worth beating a dead horse anymore.

If Luck throws a ball away, chances are no receiver had gotten open.  Otherwise, instead of throwing a ball away, he would throw it to the open receiver. There will always be a time or 2 where a blitz is missed by a QB, but the majority of pressure is caused either by poor blocking or receivers not getting open, which leads to holding onto the ball.  I think a lot of people only focus on the times where Luck is actually sacked, but his footwork in the pocket to avoid other would be sacks and hits is incredible. 10 rushes in 2 games and probably half of those should have been sacks and turned into big gains. 

I absolutely agree that Luck should be sacked far more than he actually is and he gets out of them because of his insane athleticism and strength.  However I also acknowledge that there are also times when Luck gets himself into those situations by holding onto the ball too long waiting for a big play to develop instead of taking a checkdown.

The concept of the offense is quick hitting passes, or at least thats what we were led to believe.  If Luck is holding onto the ball too long, doesn't that mean again receivers aren't likely getting open?

It could also mean that the WR's Luck is looking for isn't getting open even though others are.  Luck said himself that he forced the ball to Wayne when Whalen was open underneath.  That was very clear on video as well.  That was one example of Luck trying to force a big play instead of taking a checkdown.  This is a common issue with young QB's.  I have no doubt he will learn with time and experience and not try to force such plays in the future.

I know what Luck said, he mans up and takes the blame for everything, i also know it's a bunch of PR.

This is what gets me...even when Luck makes a clear mistake, and admits that he made the mistake, there are people who say "no, that's just how awesome he is..he's taking the blame for someone else."  Luck does make mistakes and I'm sure he would take the blame even if someone else was to blame. However, sometimes when he accepts the blame it's because he deserves it.  There's nothing wrong with that.  People make mistakes.  No QB is perfect on every single play of every single game. 

And you are right, he isn't forced to hold the ball.  He could throw it away, which basically does the same as a sack except he doesn't get hurt.  But in terms of the game, it's a lost down either way. There should be no waiting for a specific guy to get open, the concept of the offense is shorter drops and quick hitters, or so they say. Last years offense was different, i could see standing back there waiting on a guy, most of the routes were 15-20 yd routes.  This offense right now in my opinion is a joke. There is no identity.  No coast is more like no clue.

There were checkdowns available last year as well and Luck still waited for the bigger plays to develop.  This caused him to sometimes get hit unnecessarily.  Arians said as much during at least one press conference.  He very clearly said that Luck needed to take the checkdowns more often but that this was a very common issue with young QB's and he was confident Luck would learn.  He's still doing it at times.  That's not the end of the world, it's just something he's still learning.  

Your 3rd point. Are you suggesting that Luck is not willing to follow the offense and make throws to the open receivers?   Lets just say i disagree. He may miss a couple guys over the course of a game but i don't think he's unwilling to hit open receivers.  You are right bout receivers getting open though, that needs to happen.

I never said Luck was unwilling to hit open WR's and I never meant to imply it either.  I meant that he may miss open WR's at times because he's focused on someone else (Wayne) down the field and trying to force a big play instead of taking a checkdown.

BTW, do you have ever much positive to say about Luck?  I have noticed in several threads that you seem to pile a lot of the blame on his shoulders ?  He is by no means perfect but not quite as awful as you make him out to be either.  I think i know why this is, but not worth beating a dead horse anymore.

The McGlynn comment was a joke.  I have plenty of positive to say about Luck.  However I also understand that he's a 2nd year QB and still learning how to play in the NFL.  I don't put every bit of the blame on the OC, or the OL or the WR's.  Luck gets some of the blame as well.  In saying that I'm not trying to be down on Luck.  I simply acknowledge that he's still a very young NFL QB and is going to make mistakes from time to time.  I'm not piling "a lot" of the blame, merely a part of it.  Some are not willing to even do that.   I have NEVER made him out to be awful.

This is what gets me...even when Luck makes a clear mistake, and admits that he made the mistake, there are people who say "no, that's just how awesome he is..he's taking the blame for someone else."  Luck does make mistakes and I'm sure he would take the blame even if someone else was to blame. However, sometimes when he accepts the blame it's because he deserves it.  There's nothing wrong with that.  People make mistakes.  No QB is perfect on every single play of every single game. 

I think you are talking about one specific play, i would agree he made a mistake. The underthrown INT was a mistake.  However, in general, Andrew Luck steps up and takes the blame for crap he has no business taking the blame for.  I don't think it's "awesome", i just think it's a guy who is "trying to be a good teammate".  It's just like Wayne saying that play was his fault because he didn't play defender on the play and knock the ball down.  Players say things all the time, some of it is genuine, some of it is PR. Perhaps Wayne could have knocked the ball down, but it was hardly his fault. That is why i tend not to take a lot of the stuff that players say too seriously.