Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Shane Vareen - 14 carries; 101 yards; 7.2 YPC

amfootball

Maybe the most interesting stat line of the weekend. Ridley was benched after fumbling and Vareen came in and lit it up. He also had 7 catches for 58 yards. Monster effort that the Pats desperately needed as Brady works out the kinks with all the new guys.

Naaa most interesting is the Pats struggle vs ....BUFFALO ? 

Naaa most interesting is the Pats struggle vs ....BUFFALO ? 

Yeah, most thought blow out but Brady is not on the same page with all these new guys and three TOs is awful. They were foruntate to get a win against an underrated Bills defense. But as usual the Bills shot themselves in the foot with a ton of penalities.

Week one is fun, huh? So tough to gauge anything and I try not to overreact but it is tough.

Yeah, most thought blow out but Brady is not on the same page with all these new guys and three TOs is awful. They were foruntate to get a win against an underrated Bills defense. But as usual the Bills shot themselves in the foot with a ton of penalities.

Week one is fun, huh? So tough to gauge anything and I try not to overreact but it is tough.

Just busting your stones for you reminding us (in the chat room) it was the Raiders when Indy went up 14-0.

Ya never know when a good team will struggle vs one not considered so good.

Not much can be gleaned from game 1. The Raiders and Bills to their credit both came to play.

You're right for sure. I posted earlier this week that Oakland scared me as I thought the Colts might take them lightly. I was right to be concerned but had the wrong reason. The Raiders just plain gave us all we could handle. Your team also has issues ... much of which is two rookie WR's. They somehow don't usually play anywhere near as well as they look in pre season. If Gronk returns and DA can stay on the field , the Pats should be OK.

What I got-

1) the usual welcome to the NFL- teams are generally competitive

2)Division in Buffalo

3) still kept in one score

4) "the professional team" ran the script pretty flawless- running the clock down to kick a FG. 5 seconds left LOL

Zo made a good comment

The 8 week cycle-

The Defense got better in the last 8 weeks of last season adding Talib in and this year some of that defense HAS carried over-

Whereas the offense is a reset button this season and they got 8 weeks to sort it out- obviously while keeping the race in line which they did with the win in Buffalo. 

They were foruntate to get a win against an underrated Bills defense. But as usual the Bills shot themselves in the foot with a ton of penalities.

I don't know if I'd say underrated, they're pretty bad. Occasionally they're mediocre enough to keep them in games long enough to completely blow it in the final seconds.  You have your choice of:

1: Offensive fumble/botched snap.

2: INT

3: ST/return fumble (This actually happened against the Pats last season or the year prior.)

4: Defensive collapse

5: Shanked/blocked easy FG

6: *ic personal foul/automatic first down penalties.

7: Building an insane lead of 21+ points and then collapsing for the second half of a ball game.

Today was a fine combination of 4 and failure to get a first down on their final two drives.

Buffalo has earned the team award of "Finding new and incredible ways to lose". For a single player the award goes to Sanchez of the Jets.

On topic: Vereen looked great, the other backs not so much. Brady looked human, but not terrible. Amendiola is a monster, and if he can stay healthy will be a great asset for the Pats. Bit of a scare with his groin there.

I don't know if I'd say underrated, they're pretty bad. Occasionally they're mediocre enough to keep them in games long enough to completely blow it in the final seconds.  You have your choice of:

1: Offensive fumble/botched snap.

2: INT

3: ST/return fumble (This actually happened against the Pats last season or the year prior.)

4: Defensive collapse

5: Shanked/blocked easy FG

6: *ic personal foul/automatic first down penalties.

7: Building an insane lead of 21+ points and then collapsing for the second half of a ball game.

Today was a fine combination of 4 and failure to get a first down on their final two drives.

Buffalo has earned the team award of "Finding new and incredible ways to lose". For a single player the award goes to Sanchez of the Jets.

On topic: Vereen looked great, the other backs not so much. Brady looked human, but not terrible. Amendiola is a monster, and if he can stay healthy will be a great asset for the Pats. Bit of a scare with his groin there.

They do seem to have the moniker for a few years now.

I remember the Pats were the same way in 1984 and the first 7 games of 1985. I mean they a really struggled to find a new way to lose each week. After that 7th game ,calm cool Andre Tippet went into a frenzy in the locker room. From then on they started winning and eventually got to the SB only to be out matched by the 85 Bears of course.

They do seem to have the moniker for a few years now.

I remember the Pats were the same way in 1984 and the first 7 games of 1985. I mean they a really struggled to find a new way to lose each week. After that 7th game ,calm cool Andre Tippet went into a frenzy in the locker room. From then on they started winning and eventually got to the SB only to be out matched by the 85 Bears of course.

I used to think it was because of J.P Loseman. (Yes, I know it's Losman.) With the changes of QB in recent years I've come to the conclusion they're just cursed.

No shame in getting defeated by those Bears. That D was nuts. Even when the Pats struggled back then, I don't think those 7 games even compare to the 7+ seasons the Bills have been teaching us how to blow a game. :D

If memory serves, the Bills did get a revenge game against the Pats a few years ago where they came back from 28-0 and won. I might be misremembering, though, because knowing them they probably blew the comeback. Or it could have been some other team.

God, I don't know why Bills fans are so happy about today's game. They're happy that "we kept it close" and that we didn't get blown out. Why have my fellow Bills fans sunk to such low standards? 95% of teams not named the Bills win that game in those circumstances.

It's pretty pathetic that most longtime Bills fans knew what was going to happen in the final 5 minutes of the game (I've been in football for like 7 or 8 years, so I don't consider myself "longtime." Watching them take just 43 %(*)(*)ing seconds off the clock when it was time to start running out the clock and then giving it to Brady with 5 minutes left in the game (and watching him convert a couple of third and longs) is pretty much a standard operating procedure for this team. It's like crushing an ant but not killing it immediately, and then watching it struggle a long, painful death on its back.

I'm too depressed to find anything positive about the game. Every season is just a revolving door with this crap.

At the end of the game our new coach, Doug Marrone, had his hand across his face. Hey coach, get used to that facial expression, you're going to be using it plenty of times this year.

Now, the Bills will probably blowout a bad Panthers team next week, putting false hopes back into Bills fans, and then come crashing back down to earth the next time they play a good team.

Any energy I had for this season (which wasn't much, believe me) got sucked out today.

Edit: Local news here in Boston calling it "a dramatic win" for the Patriots.

I'm going to go puke out everything I've eaten in the past week.

Pain

i_know_that_feel_bro_by_rober_raik-d4cxn

You go through it in the regular season, Manning's teams go through it in the playoffs. Somehow, some way, they lose in an often self inflicted absurd fashion.

I don't think your offense will do enough VS Carolina's D to lead up to a heart breaking collapse. They had one good drive for a TD against a poor Pats secondary and the other points were all off short fields. I hope you pull out the W.

God, I don't know why Bills fans are so happy about today's game. They're happy that "we kept it close" and that we didn't get blown out. Why have my fellow Bills fans sunk to such low standards? 95% of teams not named the Bills win that game in those circumstances.

It's pretty pathetic that most longtime Bills fans knew what was going to happen in the final 5 minutes of the game (I've been in football for like 7 or 8 years, so I don't consider myself "longtime." Watching them take just 43 %(*)(*)ing seconds off the clock when it was time to start running out the clock and then giving it to Brady with 5 minutes left in the game (and watching him convert a couple of third and longs) is pretty much a standard operating procedure for this team. It's like crushing an ant but not killing it immediately, and then watching it struggle a long, painful death on its back.

I'm too depressed to find anything positive about the game. Every season is just a revolving door with this crap.

At the end of the game our new coach, Doug Marrone, had his hand across his face. Hey coach, get used to that facial expression, you're going to be using it plenty of times this year.

Now, the Bills will probably blowout a bad Panthers team next week, putting false hopes back into Bills fans, and then come crashing back down to earth the next time they play a good team.

Any energy I had for this season (which wasn't much, believe me) got sucked out today.

No is was not even close to a dramatic win. Pats to their credit kept it a one score game and then show the professionalism in them for the last drive run the clock and FG while the Bills did the opposite prior as you mentioned with the clock play and showed they are not professional yet.

I used to think it was because of J.P Loseman. (Yes, I know it's Losman.) With the changes of QB in recent years I've come to the conclusion they're just cursed.

No shame in getting defeated by those Bears. That D was nuts. Even when the Pats struggled back then, I don't think those 7 games even compare to the 7+ seasons the Bills have been teaching us how to blow a game. :D

If memory serves, the Bills did get a revenge game against the Pats a few years ago where they came back from 28-0 and won. I might be misremembering, though, because knowing them they probably blew the comeback. Or it could have been some other team.

Oh its definitely a curse more than one QB. When we found every way to lose we actually had a good team with Grogan as we went to the SB. Tippett ended that curse once and for all. Whew. Hasn't happened since.:)

Not sure what Marrone was trying to do on that late drive in the 4th. The other 31 coaches would be trying to milk the clock but he just handed the ball back to Brady.

Bills front 7 looks strong. EJ looked good for a rookie.

Amendola is the real deal. He was making some insane circus catches out there with a hurt groin. I'm extremely happy with the Patriots D. This team looks a lot more balanced. 

Not sure what Marrone was trying to do on that late drive in the 4th. The other 31 coaches would be trying to milk the clock but he just handed the ball back to Brady.

Amendola is the real deal. He was making some insane circus catches out there with a hurt groin. I'm extremely happy with the Patriots D. This team looks a lot more balanced. 

I don't think Marrone knows what he was trying to do, either. The curse was in full effect.

I wouldn't say the D looked strong. They got some pressure on Brady past his fortress which is uncommon, but nothing crazy. Their secondary was beat by two guys, nobody else did anything and they couldn't stop either one. The run D got slammed by Vereen.

Agreed Amendola is a beast. If he can stay healthy, he'll work out well.

I'm not sold on the Pats' D. I think it will still be the turnover machine it has always been since BB arrived, and the run D will be decent to good. The pass D is up in the air until they face a mediocre passing attack, which the Bills lack. Some might say it's good/all right but I disagree. I'd say it was mediocre at best when Fitz was playing.

Hey, it's just week one. You never know what could happen. I do think there's some kind of odd thing/curse going on in Buffalo....that Kolb injury was strange, though he may not have started over the first-round QB anyway.

Hey, it's just week one. You never know what could happen. I do think there's some kind of odd thing/curse going on in Buffalo....that Kolb injury was strange, though he may not have started over the first-round QB anyway.

It's the Patriots. The team we've beaten twice in the past 12 or so YEARS. If you want to show that you're going to go anywhere you need to beat these guys and stop leaving wins on the table.

People are talking about the good game EJ Manuel played, which I can't even get excited for myself, since it'll be a matter of time before teams have a month's worth of film on this guy and they'll figure out how to stop him. Then the coaching staff won't adjust and they'll keep calling the same exact plays in the same exact situations.

Seemed like every running play was out of the same formation today (shotgun). We converted like 2 of 6 3rd and short opportunities.

Not to mention how fast the Bills D is.

I agree the Pats D will make more a difference this season which was hopefully expected having a lot of 2nd and 3rd yr players now.

Not sure if Amelia can stay healthy and that's a big spoke in the wheel. Also Gronk.

Still..if a D can hold 21 you only need to score 24.

It's the Patriots. The team we've beaten twice in the past 12 or so YEARS. If you want to show that you're going to go anywhere you need to beat these guys and stop leaving wins on the table.

People are talking about the good game EJ Manuel played, which I can't even get excited for myself, since it'll be a matter of time before teams have a month's worth of film on this guy and they'll figure out how to stop him. Then the coaching staff won't adjust and they'll keep calling the same exact plays in the same exact situations.

Seemed like every running play was out of the same formation today (shotgun). We converted like 2 of 6 3rd and short opportunities.

Didn't have a chance to watch much football today but if the OC isn't creative enough then that's a problem. Won't keep the DCs guessing if you keep running plays out of the same look. How much was Spiller used? I agree that it takes a big time win against a big time rival in order to get things going. Arian Foster's breakout game was what started my team's first-ever playoff season. I think the Bills just need a spark...the talent is there but it does seem like trouble just finds them. But there's hope...Rams are 1-0 for the first time in 7 years haha

Didn't have a chance to watch much football today but if the OC isn't creative enough then that's a problem. Won't keep the DCs guessing if you keep running plays out of the same look. How much was Spiller used? I agree that it takes a big time win against a big time rival in order to get things going. Arian Foster's breakout game was what started my team's first-ever playoff season. I think the Bills just need a spark...the talent is there but it does seem like trouble just finds them. But there's hope...Rams are 1-0 for the first time in 7 years haha

Fred Jackson was the better of the two backs today so he was (rightfully) used more than Spiller, who couldn't get a whole lot going today.

Now that I think of it, today's loss was truly no different than losses in the past decade:

-Bad coaching? Check.

-Bad clock management? Check

-Not making any adjustments when the offense you're running is falling short? Check.

-Bad playcalling (mostly on offense, not defense)? Check.

-Inability to get 2 or so stops on 3rd and 9? Check.

-Unable to convert a key 3rd and 1 (usually passing out of the shotgun when doing so)? Check.

-A supposedly superstar player not doing what he's paid to be doing (Stevie Johnson dropping a wide open 3rd and 2 pass, Mario Williams not getting a big play in)? Check.

Until I see anything different, I'm chalking this season up to as no different than the past several years.

What I got-

1) the usual welcome to the NFL- teams are generally competitive

2)Division in Buffalo

3) still kept in one score

4) "the professional team" ran the script pretty flawless- running the clock down to kick a FG. 5 seconds left LOL

Zo made a good comment

The 8 week cycle-

The Defense got better in the last 8 weeks of last season adding Talib in and this year some of that defense HAS carried over-

Whereas the offense is a reset button this season and they got 8 weeks to sort it out- obviously while keeping the race in line which they did with the win in Buffalo. 

yes, could not agree more. Defense made stops all game and that matters even against Buffalo as that was not the case the past few seasons and the Bills have some playmakers on O. I do agree too that the O will have to work things out. When Gronk comes back, I like the combination of him, Amendola, Thompkins, Vareen and Endleman. Just have to hope they all stay healthy.

Rumor is he's out a few weeks.

Yup, stop the presses and step off the ledge, Stevan Ridley owners (I am one of them)...

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000241375/article/shane-vereen-zach-sudfeld-both-injured-for-patriots

Shane Vereen was the only running back in the NFL to rush for more than 100 yards on Sunday. It sounds like he won't get a chance to repeat his performance anytime soon.

NFL Media Insider Ian Rapoport reports that the New England Patriots' third-year pro has a dislocated bone in his left wrist, according to a person briefed on the injury. Vereen is scheduled for surgery Monday and is expected to miss a few weeks. Jay Glazer of Fox first reported the news, noting that Vereen injured his wrist on the first play from scrimmage Sunday.

Fred Jackson was the better of the two backs today so he was (rightfully) used more than Spiller, who couldn't get a whole lot going today.

Now that I think of it, today's loss was truly no different than losses in the past decade:

-Bad coaching? Check.

-Bad clock management? Check

-Not making any adjustments when the offense you're running is falling short? Check.

-Bad playcalling (mostly on offense, not defense)? Check.

-Inability to get 2 or so stops on 3rd and 9? Check.

-Unable to convert a key 3rd and 1 (usually passing out of the shotgun when doing so)? Check.

-A supposedly superstar player not doing what he's paid to be doing (Stevie Johnson dropping a wide open 3rd and 2 pass, Mario Williams not getting a big play in)? Check.

Until I see anything different, I'm chalking this season up to as no different than the past several years.

The Bills' offense completely disappeared in the 4th. Credit the Patriots with some of that for playing good D, but I heard something on the radio this morning along the lines of Buffalo running only 17 plays during their last four possessions (including punts). Fred Jackson was doing a pretty good job of shredding the Patriots so I'm a little lost as to why they did not feed him the ball a little more there. Not only did they not move the ball, but they took almost no time off the clock to boot. I guess I can appreciate the "go for it" mentality there, but if you fail to put it away in those situations, obviously it backfires on you.

I was thinking yesterday that JJ's got to be pretty excited about the Patriots' D. They really only allowed one TD drive of any substance, which is a far cry from getting shredded by Fitzpatrick and winning 38-35.

Yup, stop the presses and step off the ledge, Stevan Ridley owners (I am one of them)...

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000241375/article/shane-vereen-zach-sudfeld-both-injured-for-patriots

Shane Vereen was the only running back in the NFL to rush for more than 100 yards on Sunday. It sounds like he won't get a chance to repeat his performance anytime soon.

NFL Media Insider Ian Rapoport reports that the New England Patriots' third-year pro has a dislocated bone in his left wrist, according to a person briefed on the injury. Vereen is scheduled for surgery Monday and is expected to miss a few weeks. Jay Glazer of Fox first reported the news, noting that Vereen injured his wrist on the first play from scrimmage Sunday.

ouch- good news he isn't out for the year and other teams will suffer injuries too.

ouch- good news he isn't out for the year and other teams will suffer injuries too.

Credit him for playing through it (the article says it happened on the 1st play from scrimmage). I love this guy's game, but dang... he cannot stay in the lineup. 

Credit him for playing through it (the article says it happened on the 1st play from scrimmage). I love this guy's game, but dang... he cannot stay in the lineup. 

U have some great runners, just as important your o line came can block for them to do their thing,

BTW was scared when amend hurt groiin but credit him for coming back and played vital role in win, good Job

rough game but Brady came through on winning drive that mattered 

U have some great runners, just as important your o line came can block for them to do their thing,

BTW was scared when amend hurt groiin but credit him for coming back and played vital role in win, good Job

rough game but Brady came through on winning drive that mattered 

The run game is so key. Don't know if you saw the last drive, but it was a run by Vereen (around 15 yards or so) that put them in chip-shot range for the FG. If not for that, Gostkowski's probably looking at a 45 or 50 yarder for the win. 

What's also a little lost from yesterday is actually that the Patriots' defense played pretty well. The Patriots allowed 14 points off turnovers (one directly scored by the Buffalo D on the Ridley fumble, and one with excellent field position after the Brady INT). So their defense really only gave up a single TD drive, which is a good sign. 

I never read too much into division games. It seems like even when the Bills/Jets/Dolphins are down, they can put up a good fight when it comes to playing the Pats!

The run game is so key. Don't know if you saw the last drive, but it was a run by Vereen (around 15 yards or so) that put them in chip-shot range for the FG. If not for that, Gostkowski's probably looking at a 45 or 50 yarder for the win. 

What's also a little lost from yesterday is actually that the Patriots' defense played pretty well. The Patriots allowed 14 points off turnovers (one directly scored by the Buffalo D on the Ridley fumble, and one with excellent field position after the Brady INT). So their defense really only gave up a single TD drive, which is a good sign. 

I never read too much into division games. It seems like even when the Bills/Jets/Dolphins are down, they can put up a good fight when it comes to playing the Pats!

yes I saw that , if remember right at that point or just before were announcer said it was 3rd down , if can only convert and get closer it would help any f FG , or something to that effect, 

Both teams turned over and scored a few times if got that right but have to say were so many   # of turnovers in so many games Sunday forgot exactly all i saw & where, alot was on DVR, Very Busy'

already here way to long , must get off, have great day, as said in another post , being hit with vertigo attacks, alot going on right now and no one in 20 years has been abl;e to d understand the type of vertigo i get

have to finsh other stuff and lay my  head down

take care