Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

For all the DHB and Walden haters

hoosierhawk

Sorry...do not need it.  Apparently you do this time.  I will trust Coach Pagano's judgement on how he played, and I already trust my judgement.  Maybe you have been watching cricket?  CFL?  A little too much golf?   :lol:  :funny:  :spit: Fouuuuur? 

Now I need to go back and watch the darned thing.  You are making this sound is if there is one man on defense...and he sucks...ridiculous!

I am glad you think you are funny Brent.

As far as the one man defense, nope but this thread was about one defensive player and one offensive player and I commented on both.  Why would I talk about the other defensive players in a thread about Walden and DHB?

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Who would I call good or say had a good game? because there is a difference. Walden may turn out to be good for the Colts... he did nto have a good game, however.

Of that list, only Bethea can be called good.

But, RJF had a good game, Rayford had a good game, Conner had some good plays and some bad plays, Nevis had a good game. All the rest were okay to bad. That doesn't mean they didn't do anything good, just that overall they did not play consistent ball.

pagano said he had a good game, I'll take his word for it

Who would I call good or say had a good game?  because there is a difference.  Walden may turn out to be good for the Colts... he did nto have a good game, however.

But, RJF had a good game, Rayford had a good game, Conner had some good plays and some bad plays, Nevis had a good game.  All the rest were okay to bad.  That doesn't mean they didn't do anything good, just that overall they did not play consistent ball.

Coffeedrinker

Don't know what game you were watching or if you understand assignments in the 3-4 but I totally disagree with you on your assessment and I know the coaches do also. I'm not ready to enshrine the guy but give credit where credit is do. hope he continues to play like he did last nite.

Well, if you ask me if I'd have a guy who lights it up in practice and training camp like Taj Smith but cannot get it done on the field while playing against the big boys

(OR)

if I'd have a guy who drops balls in practice but gets it done on the field when it counts.

I will take the latter. DHB is the latter. What he does on game day when it counts is the one that matters most to me. :)

You can't press him easily and because of his speed, you have to give him some cushion thus making slants a good viable option. To me, our WR production is more important than our TE production currently, based on the health and performance of our TEs so far. Hence I am rooting for DHB to do real well.

Always supported Walden.

DHB still not sold on. Most his completions came from short routes and quick hitters. We'll see how he does when he gets corner endzone passes like the one Hilton had and other deeper routes

Anyone can catch a 1-5 yard pass, his hands are questionable when it's medium & deep passes

Erik Walden had a very good night tonight as well.  He even recorded a sack!  He beat Giants' right tackle David Diehl easily for a sack, and he did a good job setting the edge for the team as well, which is exactly what the Colts brought him in for.  If the defense plays like it did tonight, Walden and Werner can work very well together and this could end up being pretty good.  But again, let's wait and see if it's consistent.

From Stampede Blue of all places.

Coffeedrinker

Don't know what game you were watching or if you understand assignments in the 3-4 but I totally disagree with you on your assessment and I know the coaches do also. I'm not ready to enshrine the guy but give credit where credit is do. hope he continues to play like he did last nite.

This has happened numerous times over the years.  People say they hope so and so keeps playing like they did last night and they do and a year later they are the whipping boy for the forum.

Like I stated, Walden may turn out to be good for the Colts and the parts of the Buffalo game I saw, I don't remember anything he did (which is good, it means he was either doing his job or he wasn't on the field) all I am doing is commenting on last night's game and last night he did not have a good game.

If some want to believe Pagano because he said he had a good game (notice Pagano said good not great like so many comments on here) that's fine.  That is what pagano should say, any improvements he wants to see should be discussed in the film room not to the media. 

I am glad you think you are funny Brent.

As far as the one man defense, nope but this thread was about one defensive player and one offensive player and I commented on both.  Why would I talk about the other defensive players in a thread about Walden and DHB?

I know right....love to add a,little humor with my caffeine.

I am going to watch again just because you have been solid in analysis in the past.  If I am wrong I will not be afraid to say it...been there/done that!!

Erik Walden had a very good night tonight as well.  He even recorded a sack!  He beat Giants' right tackle David Diehl easily for a sack, and he did a good job setting the edge for the team as well, which is exactly what the Colts brought him in for.  If the defense plays like it did tonight, Walden and Werner can work very well together and this could end up being pretty good.  But again, let's wait and see if it's consistent.

From Stampede Blue of all places.

Thanks hoosierhawk.  Experience has taught me that the opposite opinion of Stampede Blue is usually the correct opinion.

Walden looked great, DHB looked pretty solid to. (excellent play calling by pep however to get him to ball quickly) My only negative of DHB was the fact that he let every pass into his body. That scares me, shows he is still not comfortable with his hands at all.

I know right....love to add a,little humor with my caffeine.

I am going to watch again just because you have been solid in analysis in the past.  If I am wrong I will not be afraid to say it...been there/done that!!

I am sure that you will let me know if I'm wrong and if I am I will proudly admit it.  because I am just going by what I thought I saw during the game the last.

And another note on DHB. He caught with his body last night. So technically speaking, we don't know what his "Hands" are like. We'll see how he does as the year goes on

Unless you are catching it in stride going across the middle, on the kind of routes he was catching, it is OK to use your body especially if you are big bodied like him on those comeback or quick out routes as long as you have separated. Not everyone has hands like Wayne and DHB will never be a Wayne but he can be a streaky Plaxico Burress, IMO.

I never get why some fans label people as haters just because you do not stick your head up every player's butt that wears a Colts jersey.  

Posting this after two preseason games means nothing.  DHB was has many of seasons in Oakland where he stunk up the joint and having one solid showing in the preseason means nothing.  I hope the guy is able to turn it around now that he has a real QB throwing him, but I am not going to hold my breath that he turns into a real option as a second WR.

On Walden most people were not crapping on him as a player, but because of the contract he received.  

Who would I call good or say had a good game?  because there is a difference.  Walden may turn out to be good for the Colts... he did nto have a good game, however.

But, RJF had a good game, Rayford had a good game, Conner had some good plays and some bad plays, Nevis had a good game.  All the rest were okay to bad.  That doesn't mean they didn't do anything good, just that overall they did not play consistent ball.

I agree the consistent ball overall is not there but preseason is preseason a work in progress .

Walden showed things Woerner - Rayford & Nevis had good moments flashes whatever 6 sacks were good with players learning & being evaluated I'm not trying to read to much into 2 preseason games . I just hope for growth each & every week ..

I am sure that you will let me know if I'm wrong and if I am I will proudly admit it. because I am just going by what I thought I saw during the game the last.

Glad to see you admit that. I thought I saw Walden consistently being in the right place, and where runs went to his side, it looked to me like others were messing up their assignments. And I thought I was watching for him specifically (because of all the "expert" vitriol towards him). But I'm not reviewing film to get there.

When I first read some if your comments, I was wondering if you might have confused Werner for Walden. I kept seeing Werner out of position, and it seemed like several of the bigger Giants run plays were towards him. I'd think the dreads would prevent confusion, but I wasn't sure.

I agree the consistent ball overall is not there but preseason is preseason a work in progress .

Walden showed things Woerner - Rayford & Nevis had good moments flashes whatever 6 sacks were good with players learning & being evaluated I'm not trying to read to much into 2 preseason games . I just hope for growth each & every week ..

I agree in preseason you look at different things, some of which we, as fans, don't know.  Things like assignments, positioning, reads, etc. we don't know and players may have done really good or really bad.  But the things I look for are:

For dlineman... which side of the ball do they play on., once engaged do they hold their ground or get pushed to a different spot, are they aware of what is going on around them even while engaged, closing speed to the ball and the ability to make the tackle or redirect the RB or QB.

For LBers it is some of the same, do they keep blockers off of them by using their hands, did more than one LBer hit the same hole (usually a mistake), how is their pursuit behind the LOS, pursuit beyond the LOS, if they are supposed to occupy a blocker do they do that (for example on a corner blitz, Walden was supposed to sacrifice himself to leave a clear lane for the CB but the tackle knocked Werner off his feet and if the CB had been a fraction of a second slower Walden would have been pushed right into the CB and he would not have the sack.  Walden needs to get low in that situation and sit down like a rock.)

DBs, since they don't game plan for preseason games, I don't really watch to see f the WR is open but how closely they follow and how quickly they close, what do they do when the ball is in the air, and how well they support the run.

Glad to see you admit that. I thought I saw Walden consistently being in the right place, and where runs went to his side, it looked to me like others were messing up their assignments. And I thought I was watching for him specifically (because of all the "expert" vitriol towards him). But I'm not reviewing film to get there.

When I first read some if your comments, I was wondering if you might have confused Werner for Walden. I kept seeing Werner out of position, and it seemed like several of the bigger Giants run plays were towards him. I'd think the dreads would prevent confusion, but I wasn't sure.

Actually I was planning on watching the dline most of the game but Walden impressed me with his speed when he chased down the RB after on that 21 yard gain, my thought was who was that guy, so I looked up the number online and then watched him for the rest of the game.  And I started to point him out to my son who is playing football for the first time this year and is going to be a lineback, but it quickly turned into me telling him what he (walden) was doing wrong.

Now the TV angle is not always the best but I like to think I could tell the difference between Walden and Werner even if I can't see the number. :)

And another note on DHB. He caught with his body last night. So technically speaking, we don't know what his "Hands" are like. We'll see how he does as the year goes on

I think you're trying too hard to find things to dislike. Even if he struggles to catch the deep ball, he has the athleticism to break long gains in the short passing game and punish corners who try to tackle him one on one. He should make some big plays for us this year.

Downside is he's a Donnie Avery. Upside is he's T.O. without the attitude. He'll probably fall somewhere between and be pierre garçon. :)

Actually I was planning on watching the dline most of the game but Walden impressed me with his speed when he chased down the RB after on that 21 yard gain, my thought was who was that guy, so I looked up the number online and then watched him for the rest of the game. 

Very impressive that got my attention as well .

I think you're trying too hard to find things to dislike. Even if he struggles to catch the deep ball, he has the athleticism to break long gains in the short passing game and punish corners who try to tackle him one on one. He should make some big plays for us this year.

Downside is he's a Donnie Avery. Upside is he's T.O. without the attitude. He'll probably fall somewhere between and be pierre garçon. :)

Actually, I'm not trying hard at all. Stating facts. Multiple years in Oakland he was garbage. I wish I would crown him a good WR after just ONE game. And it was a pre-season game. Like I said, he caught with his body not his hands. It's a long season, we'll see what happens

Actually, I'm not trying hard at all. Stating facts. Multiple years in Oakland he was garbage. I wish I would crown him a good WR after just ONE game. And it was a pre-season game. Like I said, he caught with his body not his hands. It's a long season, we'll see what happens

Crown him as a passable starting receiver?  He wasn't garbage in Oakland, he was very raw, an overdrafted but committed player and solid team mate.  He improved every year but last year, when he was hurt and the entire Oakland offense was a train wreck.  He's got all the athleticism in the world, a good attitude, and a contract year to play for.  He's also got Wayne and Hilton taking heat off of him.  I'll be astonished if he doesn't at least meet Avery's production from last year.  

This has happened numerous times over the years.  People say they hope so and so keeps playing like they did last night and they do and a year later they are the whipping boy for the forum.

Like I stated, Walden may turn out to be good for the Colts and the parts of the Buffalo game I saw, I don't remember anything he did (which is good, it means he was either doing his job or he wasn't on the field) all I am doing is commenting on last night's game and last night he did not have a good game.

If some want to believe Pagano because he said he had a good game (notice Pagano said good not great like so many comments on here) that's fine.  That is what pagano should say, any improvements he wants to see should be discussed in the film room not to the media. 

I actually thought Walden looked decent in the run game against hte Bills.  When they ran to his side, and this is off memory, he tended to force the runner back inside.  Spiller just happened to turn one of those into a 17 yard run because Mathis took himself out of the play and there was nothing but green on the cutback.  Last night, he had some good and some bad. 

But one thing I did want to say, and I'm not saying you are wrong in your assessment from last night (I haven't really analyzed the game yet myself).  I don't think I'd always assume that if the runner gets the outside edge on him that it always means he didn't do his job.  I guess more often than not, his job is to force the runner back inside.  But when it bounces outside, there are going to be times where that was the intended effect.  That's why we have ILB's CB's and SS's for, not to mention stungs and blitzes.  Make the RB run back a little to stretch the play out, but send the ILB over the top or freeing up the SS.  But you could be right, it could very well be that he missed his assignment.   Just depends on the play. 

I think Gavin posted about 1000 times that Walden was the worst signing any team has ever made in the history of the NFL but yet he hasnt shown up in this thread yet.... hmmm

Gavin posts his opinion on everything a thousand times (OL)lol.  Gavin has never been wrong either.  I could of sworn that one of those toss plays I saw Werner not setting the edge (not Walden). 

That's fine that you disagree but outside the sacks his tackles were (all running plays)

• For a gain of 21 yards
  • 0 yards
  • 8 yards
  • 6 yards
  • 7 yards
  • 5 yards
Those were all runs to his side. What part of those numbers are good? And then when you watch the plays in which he didn't get the tackle he rarely directed the action, meaning his blocker got on him and made him a non factor rather than him changing the course of the play. Even rushing, he got no pressure all night except the one sack.

Like I said, the ones that think he had a good game had a bias for him before the game.

That gain for 21yrds was not at Walden, he was the right side and the run was a simple dive play up the middle off the centers right side(Defense left) and walden just made a nice hustle play to chase him down.

On the tackle for no gain, they ran a run play off the left tackle right at walden and he plays it well and him and Bethea make the play for no gain on 4&2

The gain for 8 yards was a toss to the left on Werner side(Defense right side) and he got hooked and lost the edge, and Walden once again makes a hustle play and chases it down from the backside and knocks him out of bounds

The gain for 6 yards was at his side but Walden was in space covering a TE in the slot, not really an ideal spot for him to be, but I'm ok with a 6 yard gain on 1st down every now and then can't stuff every run, he made the play

Of course then you have his 13 yard sack everybody knows about.

On the 5 yard gain, it was a little delayed handoff and Walden played it nicely, had him wrapped up for a 2 yard gain but the back dragged him and fell foward for a 5 yard gain

And that was Walden day as far as his tackles go. So there were not all plays to his side, he had a combination of plays, he made plays that came his way, made some hustle plays from the backside, had his sack, and made a tackle on the RB while covering a TE in the slot. I came away pleased with Walden from yesterday's performance

That's fine that you disagree but outside the sacks his tackles were (all running plays)

• For a gain of 21 yards
  • 0 yards
  • 8 yards
  • 6 yards
  • 7 yards
  • 5 yards

Those were all runs to his side.  What part of those numbers are good?  And then when you watch the plays in which he didn't get the tackle he rarely directed the action, meaning his blocker got on him and made him a non factor rather than him changing the course of the play.  Even rushing, he got no pressure all night except the one sack.

Like I said, the ones that think he had a good game had a bias for him before the game.

I disagree, very much so.

1) The first tackle was on a play where Walden was on the strongside, and the handoff went off guard to the weakside. The back adjusted a little and came darting up the middle. The problem was that the interior linemen all lost their battles, Freeman got handled by the fullback, Sheppard got taken out by a guard, Howell overpursued the cutback, and no one else was there. Walden gave chase and showed good pursuit to drag the back down. That play wasn't a mistake on his part, his assignment had nothing to do with the outcome. The only thing you can really grade is his effort, and that was an exceptional effort.

2) Two plays later, right after the pass interference, Walden is on the strongside. The Giants run it strongside, and while Walden gets pushed a little too far to the outside, he doesn't give up the edge. The back shoots up off tackle, inside of Walden, but Walden slides off the block and teams up with Howell to make the stop after a three yard gain. I'd give Walden a B- on that play.

3) Three plays later, on 4th and 2, Walden is strongside on a heavy alignment to that side by the Giants. They run it his way, and he gives up no ground to the tight end. The back stays horizontal, trying to get around the edge, Walden gets off his block and pursues. Vontae Davis comes darting in to cut the back off, which allows Walden to bring the back down, along with Howell, a yard short of the first down. I give Walden a B+ on this play.

4) The tackle after an 8 yard gain was a toss play that went away from Walden. It's actually the play where Werner did a horrible job setting the edge, and Walden chased it down to push the back out of bounds. Again, not Walden's fault, and all you can grade is his effort.

5) The tackle after a 6 yard gain was interesting, to me. The defense lined up in a traditional 4-3 set, with Walden playing about five yards off the line. The Giants were in 22 personnel, with the second tight end -- Pascoe -- lined up as a slot receiver on the strongside. Walden lines up over him. Pascoe engages Walden at the snap, the ball carrier takes it outside, Walden comes off the block and chases. He and Bethea brought the ball carrier down together. He could have done a better job reading the play and gotten further outside initially, but he was able to get off his block and get in the play. I'd give him a C on that play, but honestly, it would have taken an absolute great play for him to do any more than he did there.

I could keep going. I'm sure there were some less impressive plays as the game went on, but those are the plays from the first two series that Walden was directly involved in, and he did just what we want him to do in most of those plays. There was room for improvement, but I can't understand anyone saying that he was bad, or that he was abused in the run game, or that he didn't do what we brought him here to do.

As for the pass rush, he either came off the field or dropped into coverage on the majority of the passing plays. The one play I saw him rush in those first two series was the interception by Toler.

I disagree, very much so.

1) The first tackle was on a play where Walden was on the strongside, and the handoff went off guard to the weakside. The back adjusted a little and came darting up the middle. The problem was that the interior linemen all lost their battles, Freeman got handled by the fullback, Sheppard got taken out by a guard, Howell overpursued the cutback, and no one else was there. Walden gave chase and showed good pursuit to drag the back down. That play wasn't a mistake on his part, his assignment had nothing to do with the outcome. The only thing you can really grade is his effort, and that was an exceptional effort.

2) Two plays later, right after the pass interference, Walden is on the strongside. The Giants run it strongside, and while Walden gets pushed a little too far to the outside, he doesn't give up the edge. The back shoots up off tackle, inside of Walden, but Walden slides off the block and teams up with Howell to make the stop after a three yard gain. I'd give Walden a B- on that play.

3) Three plays later, on 4th and 2, Walden is strongside on a heavy alignment to that side by the Giants. They run it his way, and he gives up no ground to the tight end. The back stays horizontal, trying to get around the edge, Walden gets off his block and pursues. Vontae Davis comes darting in to cut the back off, which allows Walden to bring the back down, along with Howell, a yard short of the first down. I give Walden a B+ on this play.

4) The tackle after an 8 yard gain was a toss play that went away from Walden. It's actually the play where Werner did a horrible job setting the edge, and Walden chased it down to push the back out of bounds. Again, not Walden's fault, and all you can grade is his effort.

5) The tackle after a 6 yard gain was interesting, to me. The defense lined up in a traditional 4-3 set, with Walden playing about five yards off the line. The Giants were in 22 personnel, with the second tight end -- Pascoe -- lined up as a slot receiver on the strongside. Walden lines up over him. Pascoe engages Walden at the snap, the ball carrier takes it outside, Walden comes off the block and chases. He and Bethea brought the ball carrier down together. He could have done a better job reading the play and gotten further outside initially, but he was able to get off his block and get in the play. I'd give him a C on that play, but honestly, it would have taken an absolute great play for him to do any more than he did there.

I could keep going. I'm sure there were some less impressive plays as the game went on, but those are the plays from the first two series that Walden was directly involved in, and he did just what we want him to do in most of those plays. There was room for improvement, but I can't understand anyone saying that he was bad, or that he was abused in the run game, or that he didn't do what we brought him here to do.

As for the pass rush, he either came off the field or dropped into coverage on the majority of the passing plays. The one play I saw him rush in those first two series was the interception by Toler.

1).  I stated that play is what made me take notice of Walden, I did not mean to imply that was his fault.

2)  Walden most certainly gives up the edge because he's a non factor in the play.

3)  His pursuit on that play was good but two points, one the RB got outside of Walden which is not supposed to happen and two Walden in pursuit would not have made the tackle to stop the 1st down had Bethea not force the RB to hesitate and come back towards the inside.

4).  I will have to watch that one again because I don't remember Walden chasing from the other side, I remember him turning around and chasing after the play bounced around him.

5)  I consider it bad when he doesn't get off his block until the runner is by him.

As far as rushing the passer, I didn't see him do it often but the sack look nice other than that he was pretty pedestrian, he has no moves if he doesn't beat the guy with the inital step.  But I also don't think he was brought to the Colts for his pass rushing ability, so anything the Colts get in that department is a bonus.

I can give other examples as well but he did not play well last night (I'm not the one that said he was abused in the run game).  The starting LBers as a whole did not play well and I wish I could say... the LBers played poorly but Walden did his job but he just didn't hold his ground enough and was a non factor in too many plays that were on his side. 

@andrewmishler: Caesar Rayford, Ricky Jean-Francois, Drake Nevis, Sheldon Price, Ricardo Mathews and Erik Walden had the best grades on defense respectively

@andrewmishler: Castonzo, Andrew Luck, Donald Brown, T.Y. Hilton, Darrius Heyward-Bey and Gosder Cherilus received the best grades on offense, respectively.

That's PFF grades

1).  I stated that play is what made me take notice of Walden, I did not mean to imply that was his fault.

2)  Walden most certainly gives up the edge because he's a non factor in the play.

3)  His pursuit on that play was good but two points, one the RB got outside of Walden which is not supposed to happen and two Walden in pursuit would not have made the tackle to stop the 1st down had Bethea not force the RB to hesitate and come back towards the inside.

4).  I will have to watch that one again because I don't remember Walden chasing from the other side, I remember him turning around and chasing after the play bounced around him.

5)  I consider it bad when he doesn't get off his block until the runner is by him.

As far as rushing the passer, I didn't see him do it often but the sack look nice other than that he was pretty pedestrian, he has no moves if he doesn't beat the guy with the inital step.  But I also don't think he was brought to the Colts for his pass rushing ability, so anything the Colts get in that department is a bonus.

I can give other examples as well but he did not play well last night (I'm not the one that said he was abused in the run game).  The starting LBers as a whole did not play well and I wish I could say... the LBers played poorly but Walden did his job but he just didn't hold his ground enough and was a non factor in too many plays that were on his side. 

Contrary to all the critics reporting that he did have a good game. At this point the Good Lord could not convince you otherwise.

@andrewmishler: Caesar Rayford, Ricky Jean-Francois, Drake Nevis, Sheldon Price, Ricardo Mathews and Erik Walden had the best grades on defense respectively

@andrewmishler: Castonzo, Andrew Luck, Donald Brown, T.Y. Hilton, Darrius Heyward-Bey and Gosder Cherilus received the best grades on offense, respectively.

That's PFF grades

Werner: -2.6