Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

ESPN ranks Ricky Jean Francios #3 overpaid player

HtownColt

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How can they say anything yet anyway he hasn't played a down that means anything yet and all I have been hearing all offseason from all the experts is that the colts are not going to get back to 11 wins and that they paid too much to this player or that player how do they know I mean  all I see is the experts not giving the colts the respect they I think have earned and are just not getting it anybody else agree?.

How in the blue hades is Sanchez not on this list?  If it wasn't for the crazy guarantees, he'd be on a different roster as a backup making a much smaller salary.

Further, RJF hasn't had any time on a team that intends to use him as a starter.  No way you consider him overpaid when he JUST signed the contract and has yet to do anything to earn it.

Long story short, this list sucks.  They should at least wait till halfway through the season to put out garbage like this.

Guest TeamLoloJones

I know, and I'm glad he is!     Go RJF!         :thmup:

This is starting to make me wonder if all these writers and pundits want the Colts to win the superbowl.  They all saw how the Colts responded to the negativity last season, by saying they'll regress, we overpaid FAs, had a poor draft, etc...saying they won't have the emotional force behind them to push them through another season, they continue to feed the Colts more and more bulletin board material to motivate them, they all actually want the Colts to go 19-0.  Thats mean Skip Bayless must be the biggest Colts fan of all time. Hmmm....

Guest TeamLoloJones

Here were the NFL's Most Overpaid Players in 2013 according to Forbes.com:

1. Jerome Felton, FB, Minnesota Vikings

2. John Carlson, TE, Minnesota Vikings

3. Ricky Jean-Francois, DT, Indianapolis Colts

4. Paul Kruger, LB, Cleveland Browns

5. Le'Ron McClain, FB, San Diego Chargers

6. Craig Stevens, TE, Tennessee Titans

7. Larry Fitzgerald, WR, Arizona Cardinals

8. Mario Williams, DE, Buffalo Bills

9. Orlando Scandrick, CB, Dallas Cowboys

10. Michael Koenen, P, Tampa Bay Buccaneers

Jerome Felton is a pro bowler who just helped AD get 2000 yards.  Mark Sanchez not in top 10.  This list is absurd.

Man helped lead his team to a SB.  That is one very tough argument to try and make.

Mark should be on the list, But how Joe Flacco is not AT THE TOP of the list is ridiculous......A guy that had a great 4 game stretch who would not have even won the superbowl had his defense not made a goal line stand......And lets be honest, the dude has been an average QB (and will continue to be) prior to that 4 game stretch, I dont remember someones "stock" rising so massively ( from a stand point of his average numbers) ever in my now going on 18 years of watching football with a person who has been in the league for as many years as he has

How is Tony Romo not on this list?

Because he has been a very good QB for years who consistently put up great numbers despite Dallas's inability to this point to provide protection for him (Travis Frederick looked extremely good in the Cowboys first preseason game vs the opposing teams #1's in limited action

Because he has been a very good QB for years who consistently put up great numbers despite Dallas's inability to this point to provide protection for him (Travis Frederick looked extremely good in the Cowboys first preseason game vs the opposing teams #1's in limited action

We're talking about TONY Romo right?  The same guy who single-handedly ended their superbowl run by mishandling a snap in 2007?  The same QB who has a playoff completion ratio of 59% since 2006?  The same guy who just got $25M guaranteed on a $120M contract?  Jay Cutler can do that for a lot less.

We're talking about TONY Romo right? The same guy who single-handedly ended their superbowl run by mishandling a snap in 2007? The same QB who has a playoff completion ratio of 59% since 2006? The same guy who just got $25M guaranteed on a $120M contract? Jay Cutler can do that for a lot less.

6th highest passer rating of all time.

Yeah but that's my point! He has the 6th highest passer rating of all time (except in the playoffs)! If play=pay then you're paying the guy for only two or three stats...and only for the regular season.

I'd like to think that NFL GMs are incompetent enough to judge a players worth on 2-3 games in their entire career.

Yeah but that's my point! He has the 6th highest passer rating of all time (except in the playoffs)! If play=pay then you're paying the guy for only two or three stats...and only for the regular season.

I'd like to think that NFL GMs are incompetent enough to judge a players worth on 2-3 games in their entire career.

You get paid for what you can do, not what you did.  (At least that's what good GMs do) So any statistical analysis and how it relates to a player's contract like RJF who hasn't play out any of his current deal is just plain stupid.  That goes for everyone that thinks we overpaid for guys.  I don't care what market value is, we shouldn't even discuss it until the contract is up, and argue if he lived up to it.

But go ahead haters say our guys are overpaid, and make sure they hear you, so it'll be all the sweeter when they prove you wrong, and there cashin the checks that they deserve vs. getting paid to write articles pretending you know what you're talking about. FACE!

Drivel that gives something to fill the page with. And a chance to share viewpoints.

RJF filled a Huge need and got a deal that is year to year, no big bonus. Young, experienced, and no nonsense Harbaugh spoke highly of him.

We will have about 40 guys playing for relatively low wages and the rest, like RJF, doing better after their Rookie deals.

Griggs spent most of the 2013 CAP $$$ filling a wide # of needs, and still has great flexibility for 2014. That is a job well done.

drafts that show lots of promise, every reason to be optomistic

Where we end up after the 2014 season is about the time to judge our GM and Coach.

Guest TeamLoloJones

Drivel that gives something to fill the page with. And a chance to share viewpoints.

RJF filled a Huge need and got a deal that is year to year, no big bonus. Young, experienced, and no * Harbaugh spoke highly of him.

We will have about 40 guys playing for relatively low wages and the rest, like RJF, doing better after their Rookie deals.

Griggs spent most of the 2013 CAP $$$ filling a wide # of needs, and still has great flexibility for 2014. That is a job well done.

drafts that show lots of promise, every reason to be optomistic

Where we end up after the 2014 season is about the time to judge our GM and Coach.

Well said...the only guy we "need" to play up to his contract, or we will be in a bad place, is Cherilus.  His contract is the only one that bites us if he doesn't work out.  

Based off what he has done...yes...overpaid...what he will do...we shall see....we signed several guys to those kind of contracts this offseason. I felt we kind of bid against ourselves on many of those and quite frankly some of our best acquisitions came late in the offseason (bradshaw/dhb). I hope all the money is well spent.

That said there are some autrocious contracts and I consider the worst be those that hamper a teams ability to get better...and none of ours I feel would fit that description.

Mark should be on the list, But how Joe Flacco is not AT THE TOP of the list is ridiculous......A guy that had a great 4 game stretch who would not have even won the superbowl had his defense not made a goal line stand......And lets be honest, the dude has been an average QB (and will continue to be) prior to that 4 game stretch, I dont remember someones "stock" rising so massively ( from a stand point of his average numbers) ever in my now going on 18 years of watching football with a person who has been in the league for as many years as he has

I have to agree.  I think Flacco's defense put him in a lot of situations most QB's dream of.  I'm not doubting him, but I feel this year is the year for me to either become a non-believer or a believer of him.  He has lost a lot of key pieces on both sides of the ball.  If he performs this season, I have nothing more to say about him. 

I have to agree.  I think Flacco's defense put him in a lot of situations most QB's dream of.  I'm not doubting him, but I feel this year is the year for me to either become a non-believer or a believer of him.  He has lost a lot of key pieces on both sides of the ball.  If he performs this season, I have nothing more to say about him. 

Dont get me wrong I think he is a decent QB, a better starting QB then several in the league right now but I could name 11 QB's I'd choose before him I think

Yep. His postseason efficiency this year was incredible. If he can still put up and help lead his team to wins maybe he can attain that Eli Manning level of respect. If not, well...I'm sure the owner might be wondering if he made the right decision with that contract.

Yep. His postseason efficiency this year was incredible. If he can still put up and help lead his team to wins maybe he can attain that Eli Manning level of respect. If not, well...I'm sure the owner might be wondering if he made the right decision with that contract.

This obviously won't happen, but the Ravens can release Flacco after this season and not owe him anything. They'd have a $39m dead cap hit in 2014, but they could also move on. Again, it's not going to happen, but if Flacco plays more like Mark Sanchez than Eli Manning, the Ravens aren't necessarily tied to him for the entire length of his contract.

This obviously won't happen, but the Ravens can release Flacco after this season and not owe him anything. They'd have a $39m dead cap hit in 2014, but they could also move on. Again, it's not going to happen, but if Flacco plays more like Mark Sanchez than Eli Manning, the Ravens aren't necessarily tied to him for the entire length of his contract.

Ouch, that cap hit is killer. But you're right, at least they would move on. I too don't think there's a likelihood of it happening even if he plays badly but I'm sure to the fans it is still good to know that it's an option.

Ouch, that cap hit is killer. But you're right, at least they would move on. I too don't think there's a likelihood of it happening even if he plays badly but I'm sure to the fans it is still good to know that it's an option.

They are due to pay him an option bonus of $15m in 2014, so if he completely sucks in 2013, it would be a consideration. But I doubt he'll completely suck without getting injured, and the bonus is guaranteed for injury.

They are due to pay him an option bonus of $15m in 2014, so if he completely sucks in 2013, it would be a consideration. But I doubt he'll completely suck without getting injured, and the bonus is guaranteed for injury.

They have some big decisions to make then, though they have put themselves in an awkward position. If Flacco underperforms some could argue it's because there was not enough money to field a complete team. Should be interesting to see how it goes down.

Think they would just restructure the deal after this season if he has a down year

Guest TeamLoloJones

Think they would just restructure the deal after this season if he has a down year

Little do they know we were just paying him for the hyphen...

Not a lot of room for a restructure. The option bonus would need to be restructured before the last game of the regular season. 

They can always restructure, but it would depend on other offseason moves, i.e. cutting other players and making Flacco's contract back loaded.  You can be over the cap in subsequent seasons as long as you get under the cap prior to that season's start date (forget the exact date, but think it's in March).

Dont get me wrong I think he is a decent QB, a better starting QB then several in the league right now but I could name 11 QB's I'd choose before him I think

He's definitely a 2nd tier QB.  

I agree with him being a second tier QB, I don't know if I could say that there are 11 QBs I'd rather have.  The guy was on fire in the playoffs and that sort of performance easily makes him top 10 right now.  We've seen several teams with 2nd tier QBs win superbowls in the past 10 years provided they have a good supporting cast (Roethlisberger, Eli Manning, Joe Flacco).  That being said, I don't care if Luck is ever a top 2 or 3 QB, because I know that even if he's not, with the right team around him, he can bring the Lombardi home.  With guys like Flacco, you can be confident that you can win a superbowl. 

Now whether he commands that sort of paycheck is a different question.  It's difficult to have a top tier team surrounding a 2nd tier QB when you pay him top QB money.  heck, it was difficult for Manning and Brady once they got top money.  And I think it will be Rodgers and Brees since they've got big money.

All I can say is, I disagree.  He won a SuperBowl with clutch play.  Many players are marked as clutch.  Many are not.  Manning got a lock of flack for not being clutch and often being one and done in the playoffs.

Flacco's playoff run was SUPERB.  Manning's sole SB win was in large part due to a defense that FINALLY woke up.

I don't really care to hear that last year's SuperBowl winning QB should be at the top of such a list when he rose to the occasion and delivered a SB win for his team.  Something that team hasn't done in quite some time despite having the likes of Lewis, Suggs, Reed, Ngata, and others for years and years.  To the point, if you put such a player at the top of that list, you are saying what he did last year didn't mean anything.  Problem is, Manning was going to be a failure until he won ONE SuperBowl.  Flacco did it, and I will say that he did it in a much cleaner fashion than did Manning.

I whole heartedly disagree.  QBs are largely judged on SB wins.  By that token, Flacco deserves what he got.  He may not deliver again, but he did, and Ryan still hasn't despite throwing to White, Jones, and Gonzalez.  I'd hardly call Boldin, Smith, and Pitta a comparable crew.