Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Preseason Blackout

hawkeyes

I am horribly ticked off that DirectTV has blocked this preseason game!  Thanks NFL - you are really encouraging me to drive down to see the game live - NOT!!!!

Have you checked to see if the game is on any other channel?

Here in Fort Wayne, the game is blacked out on NFLN; but it is being aired on our local FOX channel. 

I am horribly ticked off that DirectTV has blocked this preseason game!  Thanks NFL - you are really encouraging me to drive down to see the game live - NOT!!!!

colts first drive got few first downs on Ballard runs and Waynec atches 

guess living near detroit allows me to watch game on direct TV , Mcafee had great 55 yrad punt to pin at the 3 , but have to  go to help out at Moms assited living, 

Bills can run but manual cant pass

TY nice return f going back and forth acroos field  to get to 30

Luck sacked as Satele gets handoff out late

Defense unsportsmanship penalty helps

Colts appear committed to run with or without FB in as blocker

fleenerr gets first dwn with 15 or 20 yards on great catch & run bit fumbles it away

anyway must leave Moms health the priority here, needed at assisted living

Spiler fumbles ball on exchange and Colts Franklin gets it with  deep in Bils  teritory and Haselback in & Donald Brown In

, those that can watch enjoy

sure game will be replayed at some point for those that want to see it later

Also blocked out on Dish Network.  Looks like either the NFL or the Colts are more concerned about making money from ticket sales than they are about supporting their fans who support them.  Not everyone can drive to Indy and buy a ticket for every game.  Maybe Colts management can explain this one to their fans

YAh pretty darned heated right now!   Just got off phone with DTV they werent much help - basically stated that the local channel must have purchased rights to the game thats why its blacked out on NFLN and since WNDY is not in my area that I am SOL.

it has nothing to do with colts. The local station bought the right to air the game. So the nfl network can't

Yes apparently thats the down low, however WISHTV / WNDY are not on my TV as local channels so there is no conflict of interest in that regard so IMO it should be aired on NFLN on my receiver, but heck I'm just a small time * my opinion doesn't matter even if it makes perfect sense.

WNDY / DirectTV really screwed up the end of my weekend!

Yes I looked at every local channel it is not aired on any of my stations here in Lafayette,  :(

I understand your chagrin.

The broadcast is blacked out on NFLN because the game is being aired on the local Indy channel.  And for some reason beyond my comprehension, this black out includes areas that do not receive the Indy channel.

For several years, I was fuming because fans all over the country could watch the game except for those who lived too close yet too far away from Indy.

After numerous complaints from me and other Colt's fans, the local FOX channel starting airing the preseason games last year.

Yeah...I'm far from local and I can't see the game on NFL network either.....and they wonder why people do illegal things to watch the games lol....not that I would do that.

colts first drive got few first downs on Ballard runs and Waynec atches 

guess living near detroit allows me to watch game on direct TV , NFL NETWORK

Mcafee had great 55 yrad punt to pin at the 3 , but have to  go to help out at Moms assited living, 

Bills can run but manual cant pass

TY nice return f going back and forth acroos field  to get to 30

Luck sacked as Satele gets handoff out late

Defense unsportsmanship penalty helps

Colts appear committed to run with or without FB in as blocker

fleenerr gets first dwn with 15 or 20 yards on great catch & run bit fumbles it away

anyway must leave Moms health the priority here, needed at assisted living

Spiler fumbles ball on exchange and Colts Franklin gets it with  deep in Bils  teritory and Haselback in & Donald Brown In

, those that can watch enjoy

sure game will be replayed at some point for those that want to see it later

Leaving now for assisted living, its 3-3 Hasselback in 2 minute left 1st qrter Colts ball

TY Diving catch on very deep throw by Hasselback  layed self way out for td like old marvin Harrison & momemtum as hit ground took him bouncing  into endzone

10-3 end of first 

Manuel is bad 4 biils and Jerey hughes already penalized for bills

I was wrong I am watching on NFL NETWORK not direct tv in Detroit area

but as said above

at least made it through 1st qrter

BUT anyway must leave Moms health the priority here, needed at assisted living 

Real nice of the Colts to reward their friends by blacking out PRESEASON games.  Really nice

It's not the Colts call.  The game is sold out because you had to buy tickets for it for the Broncos game and the game is being aired locally in Indianapolis on over the air TV which is where they would black it out if it was a true black out.  The NFL Network just can't air it live because of an agreement with WNDY.  That's their call not the Colts. 

Anyone know who the broadcast crew was on the NFLN?

I know it was a Colts crew because the sideline interviews were all with the Colts.

I know it's the first game of the pre-season,  even for broadcasters,  and since this was once my business I don't like taking shots, but they were dreadful.

I'm in NW Ohio,up near Toledo.  About a 4 hour drive or so to Indy.

You are still out of the home market.  Normally the blackout rule apply to markets that can get the station in that teams home market.  For Indianapolis that would have been WNDY today, during the season it would be WISH, WTHR, or WXIN depending on who has the game.  I am not sure why the guy didn't get it from the NFL network today unless they just blacked out all of Indiana, however I am sure Ohio is outside of that market. 

You are still out of the home market.  Normally the blackout rule apply to markets that can get the station in that teams home market.  For Indianapolis that would have been WNDY today, during the season it would be WISH, WTHR, or WXIN depending on who has the game.  I am not sure why the guy didn't get it from the NFL network today unless they just blacked out all of Indiana, however I am sure Ohio is outside of that market. 

DirectTV does not carry WNDY, least not here in Lafayette.  DTV told me that they are only allowed to give a customer so many "local" channels out of a certain area (INDY) and we get WRTV, WTHR, and WXIN out of Indy and WLFI out of Lafayette.  That IMO is on DirectTV - when "locals" are supposed to be in a package then all of the locals should be included.   If it is not on DirectTV then the NFL for entering into stupid contracts that end up hurting the fans - its their product they should be dictating the rules - I always thought they blacked out games within a certain zone just to try and get people to go to the games.

DirectTV does not carry WNDY, least not here in Lafayette.  DTV told me that they are only allowed to give a customer so many "local" channels out of a certain area (INDY) and we get WRTV, WTHR, and WXIN out of Indy and WLFI out of Lafayette.  That IMO is on DirectTV - when "locals" are supposed to be in a package then all of the locals should be included.   If it is not on DirectTV then the NFL for entering into stupid contracts that end up hurting the fans - its their product they should be dictating the rules - I always thought they blacked out games within a certain zone just to try and get people to go to the games.

I'd the odds are probably someone at the NFL network just blacked out all of Indiana.  Sounds more like a NFL network problem to me than anyone else. 

I'd the odds are probably someone at the NFL network just blacked out all of Indiana.  Sounds more like a NFL network problem to me than anyone else. 

YES, DTV says "These blackouts and game availability rules are controlled by the NFL and by the networks that purchase the rights to broadcast the games"  so technically its not all their fault, but if they gave me WNDY and WISH both just as much local channels as WRTV, WTHR, WXIN and WLFI - many of us wouldn't have missed the game. 

Oh well no sense continuing to vent game is over and we got stomped just wish I could have seen the game so Id know if there were issues or it was a typical colts preseason game.  :)

YES, DTV says "These blackouts and game availability rules are controlled by the NFL and by the networks that purchase the rights to broadcast the games"  so technically its not all their fault, but if they gave me WNDY and WISH both just as much local channels as WRTV, WTHR, WXIN and WLFI - many of us wouldn't have missed the game. 

Oh well no sense continuing to vent game is over and we got stomped just wish I could have seen the game so Id know if there were issues or it was a typical colts preseason game.  :)

The problem with that is that they have to pay WNDY and WISH to carry them and they are probably in a contract dispute because Direct TV is probably trying to do right by you and keep your rights down while WNDY and WISH are using the fact that they have programming that people want to see to try to get as much money out of Direct TV as they can.  I went through this with WISH and WNDY and Bright House a few years ago.  Of course I am in Indianapolis so I could just pull out an antenna and my problem was solved which I know doesn't help you. 

Anyone know who the broadcast crew was on the NFLN?

I know it was a Colts crew because the sideline interviews were all with the Colts.

I know it's the first game of the pre-season,  even for broadcasters,  and since this was once my business I don't like taking shots, but they were dreadful.

it was some guy i never heard of and former Colts linebacker Barry Krauss

YAh pretty darned heated right now!   Just got off phone with DTV they werent much help - basically stated that the local channel must have purchased rights to the game thats why its blacked out on NFLN and since WNDY is not in my area that I am SOL.

I feel your pain. Won't be able to watch them in Cincy in a couple weeks either. No WNDY, no Colts preseason.