Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

GM Grigson building a bigger, badder, tougher version of the Colts.

Dustin

Good article.  Grigs sure has done a lot for the team.  I'm really excited to see how this year's group of rookies does.  To be honest, I'm still not completely sold on Grigs just yet because a great QB can cover up for a lot and I think we overpaid for a few players this offseason.  Time will tell and I'll give Grigs the benefit of the doubt for now, but I'm really interested to see how this year's group of rookies does

Good article.  Grigs sure has done a lot for the team.  I'm really excited to see how this year's group of rookies does.  To be honest, I'm still not completely sold on Grigs just yet because a great QB can cover up for a lot and I think we overpaid for a few players this offseason.  Time will tell and I'll give Grigs the benefit of the doubt for now, but I'm really interested to see how this year's group of rookies does

If he had swung and missed on the rest of last year's signings/picks I would agree. Granted, it could be beginner's luck but I think Grigs will be fine. Free Agency is when you pretty much over pay for everyone, unless you happen to get a steal. Most of the player's I hoped he'd target ended up elsewhere for higher than expected, some for major dollars. The only thing I would have liked to see more of in FA was OL. I think that's still a week spot. Otherwise, I'm pretty happy.

Physical isn't the word when a Nose Tackle who hasn't played in the NFL get can knock 4 people into one another.

Physical isn't the word when there's a safety roaming waiting to knock some snot bubbles loose.

Just a bunch of savages are what we're becoming haha

Great article. It does a much better job explaining what I was trying to say during free agency... that it isn't about name recognition or what players did yesterday, but about scouting out players who fit and who have the potential to be the guys with name recognition in the very near future.

The contracts seem high from this current perspective, but if these guys become what Grigson thinks they can, he got a BARGAIN, and people will eat their words.

"We are doing the work and watching the film and doing all of our due diligence and digging to find players to help us win, not pacify people. The way we keep our fans happy and our owner happy is by winning football games."--Ryan Grigson

My favorite sentence in the entire article is posted right there highlighted in blue.  :number1:  Nothing profound in my statement I realize, but it was quite informative in scope & very compelling in a quiet confidence kind of way.

Thanks Dustin for finding it & displaying it.  :thmup:

your the man grigs. polian who

haha Exactly, Grigs meticulous approach to finding linemen of size, athleticism, & girth almost makes you forget Polian's 1 dimensional obsession with slender guys with speed who were often manhandled like a wet, limb noodle or a flimsy tooth pick CR91. 

SW1 is not trying to drag Bill's name through the mud at all just pointing out that a stout line is essential to winning football games. Bill seemed to forget that during the later years of his tenure in INDY IMO. 

Good stuff...

The baddest, most physical team doesn't always win, though..

Jacksonville's always real physical

I'm glad we addressed upgrading our skill level on offense,,,

.....there's no question we have a better team than we did 12 months ago...

But the schedule is tougher, too 

Speaking of the writer Jason La Canfora, I was wondering what happened to him since he took over Adam Shefter's spot on NFL Network once Shefty & went to ESPN. So, Jason is on CBS "The NFL Today" eh? I never watch that show because Shannon Sharpe is hard to understand when he gets excited & I just don't care for "Boomer" Esiason that much personally. 

Jason La Canfora appears to be a good reporter though & any journalist that generates positive press about the Colts is A okay with me.  :hat:

"We are doing the work and watching the film and doing all of our due diligence and digging to find players to help us win, not pacify people. The way we keep our fans happy and our owner happy is by winning football games."--Ryan Grigson

My favorite sentence in the entire article is posted right there highlighted in blue.  :number1:  Nothing profound in my statement I realize, but it was quite informative in scope & very compelling in a quiet confidence kind of way.

Thanks Dustin for finding it & displaying it.  :thmup:

Everybody in the NFL thinks they have the formula for winning,,,,

I hope we play with the confidence....we express..  We talk a good, quiet game

I just wish the season would begin before we get anybody else hurt...

Speaking of the writer Jason La Canfora, I was wondering what happened to him since he took over Adam Shefter's spot on NFL Network once Shefty & went to ESPN. So, Jason is on CBS "The NFL Today" eh? I never watch that show because Shannon Sharpe is hard to understand when he gets excited & I just don't care for "Boomer" Esiason that much personally. 

Jason La Canfora appears to be a good reporter though & any journalist that generates positive press about the Colts is A okay with me.  :hat:

It might be my imagination but it seems like Boomer always cuts the Colts down every chance he gets. I know these announcers do have a point counter point to keep the views and fans bases talking but he seems to always have a negative comment about the Colts. 

Good stuff...

The baddest, most physical team doesn't always win, though..

Jacksonville's always real physical

I'm glad we addressed upgrading our skill level on offense,,,

.....there's no question we have a better team than we did 12 months ago...

But the schedule is tougher, too 

This is true.  My only addition here is that I think the girth up front ultimately determines what you're going to get out of your LBs.  That's not to say you don't need good LBs, but simply that having a good LB isn't enough.

Look at the Ravens, and the fact the Ray Lewis had some very down years before they acquired Ngata.  Once you get that guy to occupy blockers, your LBs are free to do work.  I don't think we have a Ray Lewis among our ILBs, but we do have some guys that should have better years with the newfound girth ahead of them.

Perhaps, later, we'll find our version of Ray Lewis/Patrick Willis, but if not, I assume we can still have a pretty solid squad without one.

This is true.  My only addition here is that I think the girth up front ultimately determines what you're going to get out of your LBs.  That's not to say you don't need good LBs, but simply that having a good LB isn't enough.

Look at the Ravens, and the fact the Ray Lewis had some very down years before they acquired Ngata.  Once you get that guy to occupy blockers, your LBs are free to do work.  I don't think we have a Ray Lewis among our ILBs, but we do have some guys that should have better years with the newfound girth ahead of them.

Perhaps, later, we'll find our version of Ray Lewis/Patrick Willis, but if not, I assume we can still have a pretty solid squad without one.

It all starts up front both on O and D, I like our LBer core and think they will surprise a few this season if the D-line improvements pan out. 

I don't think anyone has a video of that. It's either you saw it or heard about kinda thing

Unfortunately, I had to hear about it :(

But I'm sure Josh Chapman will do that this season so we all can see it

So it's an unconfirmed rumor at best. 

Not saying he didn't do it and that he's not a beast but I still wanna see proof

So it's an unconfirmed rumor at best.

Not saying he didn't do it and that he's not a beast but I still wanna see proof

It's not a rumor, it actually happened. Here's a colts writer with the word

@gmbremer: Josh Chapman made the play of the day, pushing a double team into 2 other players and wiping out 4 OLs on a run play. #ColtsCamp

It happened, just no video of it because you're not allowed to video tape training camp

IMO, some folks are so used to winning, they have missed the magnitude of the complete make over that Grigson has accomplished.  Taking a team that was saddled with older players who had cap #'s that far out weighed their value.  Freeney was a good example.  We all loved Dwight the Fright, but he doesn't fit Pagano's defensive philosophy and had to go.  $19,000 cap # was way over his value, IMO.

In two short years, Grigson has completely re-assembled the Colts roster, the defensive and offensive philosophy and loaded up the roster with players that will play the game with intensity, purpose and ability to run the ball and stop the run.  Something missing in all the years Bill Polian was the GM. 

A remarkable accomplishment for Mr. Grigson and if he doesn't get GM executive of the year, the folks voting just don't get it. 

IMO, some folks are so used to winning, they have missed the magnitude of the complete make over that Grigson has accomplished. Taking a team that was saddled with older players who had cap #'s that far out weighed their value. Freeney was a good example. We all loved Dwight the Fright, but he doesn't fit Pagano's defensive philosophy and had to go. $19,000 cap # was way over his value, IMO.

In two short years, Grigson has completely re-assembled the Colts roster, the defensive and offensive philosophy and loaded up the roster with players that will play the game with intensity, purpose and ability to run the ball and stop the run. Something missing in all the years Bill Polian was the GM.

A remarkable accomplishment for Mr. Grigson and if he doesn't get GM executive of the year, the folks voting just don't get it.

Inclined to agree, with reservations about that last part. If the team performs the way we hope (and sorta expect), then he definitely deserves EOY for sure. But we don't yet know how all these roster adjustments will play out.

IMO, some folks are so used to winning, they have missed the magnitude of the complete make over that Grigson has accomplished.  Taking a team that was saddled with older players who had cap #'s that far out weighed their value.  Freeney was a good example.  We all loved Dwight the Fright, but he doesn't fit Pagano's defensive philosophy and had to go.  $19,000 cap # was way over his value, IMO.

In two short years, Grigson has completely re-assembled the Colts roster, the defensive and offensive philosophy and loaded up the roster with players that will play the game with intensity, purpose and ability to run the ball and stop the run.  Something missing in all the years Bill Polian was the GM. 

Grigson was voted executive of the year last season. Have you been away?  This season hasn't started yet so the voting hasn't taken place. 

Grigson was voted executive of the year last season. Have you been away?  This season hasn't started yet so the voting hasn't taken place. 

He was?  My bad.  Thought for sure it was another GM.  My apologies, and congrats to Grigson.  Well deserved.  IMO, he will  certainly be a candidate again, for his work in building this roster this year. 

He was?  My bad.  Thought for sure it was another GM.  My apologies, and congrats to Grigson.  Well deserved.  IMO, he will  certainly be a candidate again, for his work in building this roster this year. 

I totally agree with your comment about Grigson. You have to be careful with any negative comment made against Polian though. To some he is considered a lot higher than others. I don't think I could have said what you did any better. Magnitude is a great word to explain what Grigson has attempted to do since he has been with the Colts.