Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Rivalry part 1

Nesjan3

well im bored so just going to start a random topic about something I have been thinking about. In the Manning era there was the emotional, intense manning vs brady rivalry, colts vs patriots. This rivalry basically caused most Indy fans to forever hate the patriots, Some memorable games though, I remember even some people saying after the 06 superbowl that the afc championship against them was the real superbowl. I was just thinking what are the chances of the luck era having even close to the type of rivalry this was, Houston? maybe Baltimore? any thought

well im bored so just going to start a random topic about something I have been thinking about. In the Manning era there was the emotional, intense manning vs brady rivalry, colts vs patriots. This rivalry basically caused most Indy fans to forever hate the patriots, Some memorable games though, I remember even some people saying after the 06 superbowl that the afc championship against them was the real superbowl. I was just thinking what are the chances of the luck era having even close to the type of rivalry this was, Houston? maybe Baltimore? any thought

This topic has been brought up a few times... and I think general consensus was it would have to be an AFC team with a young, talented QB similar to Luck. Unfortunately, the NFC dominate in that respect, and the most likely teams would be the Bengals or Dolphins... however I don't see Dalton or Tannehill ever being in the same class as Luck.

Shame the Redskins aren't an AFC team.

This topic has been brought up a few times... and I think general consensus was it would have to be an AFC team with a young, talented QB similar to Luck. Unfortunately, the NFC dominate in that respect, and the most likely teams would be the Bengals or Dolphins... however I don't see Dalton or Tannehill ever being in the same class as Luck.

hey ya im new to this forum sorry if this has already been discussed. but I would have to agree about the redskins in the afc, that would be epic.

well im bored so just going to start a random topic about something I have been thinking about. In the Manning era there was the emotional, intense manning vs brady rivalry, colts vs patriots. This rivalry basically caused most Indy fans to forever hate the patriots, Some memorable games though, I remember even some people saying after the 06 superbowl that the afc championship against them was the real superbowl. I was just thinking what are the chances of the luck era having even close to the type of rivalry this was, Houston? maybe Baltimore? any thought

Part of the buildup of the Colts - Pats rivalry was because of the whole GOAT debate (first rings vs. stats, then classy vs. running up scores and spygate...). Now it seems most of the better young guns are in the NFC (Rodgers, E. Manning, Stafford, Matty-Ice, Bradford, Kaepernick, Newton, Wilson, RG3...). So who does Luck potentially play regularly who might end up being about his equal 2-3 years from now, and could become his nemesis? Maybe Flacco? Tannehill? Dalton? My guess is, if its going to happen, it'll be a guy yet to be drafted, on a team yet to be determined.

You forgot about Gabbert :P

I would say Miami because Dalton just isn't the caliber quarterback Luck and Tannehill are, he's just surrounded by top notch talent.

Come on now, put Tannehill on the Bengals and Green would look average at best, I highly doubt Tannehill will last as a starter beyond his rookie contract

Come on now, put Tannehill on the Bengals and Green would look average at best, I highly doubt Tannehill will last as a starter beyond his rookie contract

I don't know why either of you are arguing that things are obvious to either of you??

Tannehill is a rookie.

Dalton is a 2nd year guy.

Whatever they are or are not,  both should get better,  perhaps much better in the near future.

I'd hate to have anyone judge Andrew Luck on just his rookie year.   There was plenty to be unimpressed with.   I think the Luck you'll see in years 2, 3, 4 and beyond will bear little resemblance to what he was as a rookie.

Both Tannehill and Dalton should get much better....

Why this is hard for either of you is a mystery.......

I don't know why either of you are arguing that things are obvious to either of you??

Tannehill is a rookie.

Dalton is a 2nd year guy.

Whatever they are or are not,  both should get better,  perhaps much better in the near future.

I'd hate to have anyone judge Andrew Luck on just his rookie year.   There was plenty to be unimpressed with.   I think the Luck you'll see in years 2, 3, 4 and beyond will bear little resemblance to what he was as a rookie.

Both Tannehill and Dalton should get much better....

Why this is hard for either of you is a mystery.......

To me this is the glass half full approach, Nothing wrong with that and you may be very right about Tannehill but also what Luck did vs what Tannehill did is not comparable, Luck set the rookie record in yards passing, Had multiple 300+ yard performances put a team very much on his back offensively, He wasn't great doing it as we all know, he made plenty of mistakes but were talking about a QB who led his team to an 11-5 season while setting records doing it vs a QB who could not break even in td to int ratio even though he only threw 13 ints, For where he was drafted and what he has around him now much will be expected from him. I just dont think he will be that QB that can deliver. Down the road if Tannehill is still starting I see him being a 20 td 15-16 int QB,someone thats going to need alot around him to succeed. If I pick Tannehill 8th in the entire draft then I expect more from him then what I got considering he was the starter from day 1. Russel Wilson was drafted in the 3rd round with as much talent at wr skill wise as Miami had and what Wilsons season was like is night and day compared to Tannehills  as far as rookie season goes. Andy Dalton also was a 2nd round pick not a top 10 overall

To me this is the glass half full approach, Nothing wrong with that and you may be very right about Tannehill but also what Luck did vs what Tannehill did is not comparable, Luck set the rookie record in yards passing, Had multiple 300+ yard performances put a team very much on his back offensively, He wasn't great doing it as we all know, he made plenty of mistakes but were talking about a QB who led his team to an 11-5 season while setting records doing it vs a QB who could not break even in td to int ratio even though he only threw 13 ints, For where he was drafted and what he has around him now much will be expected from him. I just dont think he will be that QB that can deliver. Down the road if Tannehill is still starting I see him being a 20 td 15-16 int QB,someone thats going to need alot around him to succeed. If I pick Tannehill 8th in the entire draft then I expect more from him then what I got considering he was the starter from day 1. Russel Wilson was drafted in the 3rd round with as much talent at wr skill wise as Miami had and what Wilsons season was like is night and day compared to Tannehills  as far as rookie season goes. Andy Dalton also was a 2nd round pick not a top 10 overall

Who cares where they were picked?!

You make up arguments to suit your needs......

Luck is in a league of his own.    Neither Tannehill or Dalton will ever be confused with Andrew Luck.

But,  that doesn't mean they can't be good quarterbacks in their own right.     But if you're going to downplay Tannehill and Dalton because of where they were picked then you'd better have a Hall of Fame Bust ready for Colin Kaeprnick....  he took his team to the Super Bowl and was only drafted in the 3rd round.

By the way,  Seattle has far more overall talent than Miami.   Not even close.   It's not just about the WR talent.   And Seattle's was better than you give it credit for.....

Wilson's season was skewed because he wasn't asked to do much for the first half of the season....   and for the entire year,  he only attempted a few dozen more passes than Andrew Luck even completed.   Same with RG3.   They had great, top-3 or 4 running games to count on.   Tannehill didn't.  Dalton didn't.   Luck didn't.

You don't like RT and AD, so you look for reasons to downplay them.    This is a losing strategy and argument.....

I would say Miami because Dalton just isn't the caliber quarterback Luck and Tannehill are, he's just surrounded by top notch talent.

Am I missing something?  Who thinks Tannehill is a good QB?  Sorry i think he is ok at best.  Maybe he will prove me wrong.  But he hasnt really done anything to say he will be even a good qb.  Lucky if he is still the starter in a couple years.

Who cares where they were picked?!

You make up arguments to suit your needs......

Luck is in a league of his own.    Neither Tannehill or Dalton will ever be confused with Andrew Luck.

But,  that doesn't mean they can't be good quarterbacks in their own right.     But if you're going to downplay Tannehill and Dalton because of where they were picked then you'd better have a Hall of Fame Bust ready for Colin Kaeprnick....  he took his team to the Super Bowl and was only drafted in the 3rd round.

By the way,  Seattle has far more overall talent than Miami.   Not even close.   It's not just about the WR talent.   And Seattle's was better than you give it credit for.....

Wilson's season was skewed because he wasn't asked to do much for the first half of the season....   and for the entire year,  he only attempted a few dozen more passes than Andrew Luck even completed.   Same with RG3.   They had great, top-3 or 4 running games to count on.   Tannehill didn't.  Dalton didn't.   Luck didn't.

You don't like RT and AD, so you look for reasons to downplay them.    This is a losing strategy and argument.....

Wow simmer down, especially with the accusations, I was not impressed by Tannehills 12 td and 13 pick performance, I HIGHLY doubt Miami was either for the 8th pick in the draft,. Can you say who cares where a player was drafted? sure  if he works out BUT if he flames out then you better believe the Dolphins will care that he was picked 8th overall, I have no idea where I downplayed Dalton, I brought up Dalton in comparison to Tannehill because Dalton was not drafted top 10.......He still outperformed Tannehill comparing there rookie years. Im not sure what Luck has to do with any of this, Only QB in the debate I'd compare to Luck was Wilson

Wow simmer down, especially with the accusations, I was not impressed by Tannehills 12 td and 13 pick performance, I HIGHLY doubt Miami was either for the 8th pick in the draft,. Can you say who cares where a player was drafted? sure  if he works out BUT if he flames out then you better believe the Dolphins will care that he was picked 8th overall, I have no idea where I downplayed Dalton, I brought up Dalton in comparison to Tannehill because Dalton was not drafted top 10.......He still outperformed Tannehill comparing there rookie years. Im not sure what Luck has to do with any of this, Only QB in the debate I'd compare to Luck was Wilson

Gavin.....

You've made this similar argument in about a half-dozen different threads.   They're the same post (not word for word, but the same idea) over and over and over again...  

Miami is THRILLED with Tannehill.   Couldn't be happier right now.   The buzz coming out of their OTA and off-season work is red-hot.    You're a pit bull who's bit onto something and you simply won't let it go, no matter how many times or different ways it's explained to you that you're view is illogical.

You're your own worst enemy here.....

p.s. -- there's nothing for me to simmer down over....   you're reading a tone of voice that simply isn't there...    I just don't understand your thinking on this....

Gavin.....

You've made this similar argument in about a half-dozen different threads.   They're the same post (not word for word, but the same idea) over and over and over again...  

Miami is THRILLED with Tannehill.   Couldn't be happier right now.   The buzz coming out of their OTA and off-season work is red-hot.    You're a pit bull who's bit onto something and you simply won't let it go, no matter how many times or different ways it's explained to you that you're view is illogical.

You're your own worst enemy here.....

p.s. -- there's nothing for me to simmer down over....   you're reading a tone of voice that simply isn't there...    I just don't understand your thinking on this....

I dont see where Miami is thrilled with him. Im sure they will say they are, They really might be.I have not seen alot of reports about it. They better from a PR stand point however. Would you say you were not pleased with the 8th pick in the draft who is expected to be the future of your franchise knowing that your fan base NEEDS some sign of hope that there team will pick itself up? Also its OTA's so not exactly hard to look good in non contact drills. Im simply not impressed with Tannehill, Nothing wrong with that. Ill eat crow of course if he comes out and puts on some air show with the football consistently when it counts until then 12 td's and 13 picks through 16 games for the 8th pick in the draft...Not all his fault I will say that, I agree he did not not go to the best of situations, I also believe he was way overdrafted. unfortunately, Jerry Hughes gets the same treatment by many fans on the site here...1st round pick who did not produce big from day 1....The difference...Hughes did not start 16 games

I dont see where Miami is thrilled with him. Im sure they will say they are, They really might be.I have not seen alot of reports about it. They better from a PR stand point however. Would you say you were not pleased with the 8th pick in the draft who is expected to be the future of your franchise knowing that your fan base NEEDS some sign of hope that there team will pick itself up? Also its OTA's so not exactly hard to look good in non contact drills. Im simply not impressed with Tannehill, Nothing wrong with that. Ill eat crow of course if he comes out and puts on some air show with the football consistently when it counts until then 12 td's and 13 picks through 16 games for the 8th pick in the draft...Not all his fault I will say that, I agree he did not not go to the best of situations, I also believe he was way overdrafted. unfortunately, Jerry Hughes gets the same treatment by many fans on the site here...1st round pick who did not produce big from day 1....The difference...Hughes did not start 16 games

I agree Tannehill was overdrafted.   I won't even argue he wasn't way overdrafted.   I'd even agree that no other team would've taken Tannehill nearly that high. 

But that's the thing.   Mike Sherman was his HC in college and took that offense with him to Miami.    Sherman was his OC once he was drafted,  so from that standpoint,  it made sense to invest in Tannehill.   Sherman has had NFL success.    If I were the owner of Miami, I'd be nervous.... 

But everything I see coming out of Miami says Tannehill looks great this off-season and the predictions for him this year are very high.     I don't know how realistic that is,  but that's what I'm seeing....

I agree Tannehill was overdrafted.   I won't even argue he wasn't way overdrafted.   I'd even agree that no other team would've taken Tannehill nearly that high. 

But that's the thing.   Mike Sherman was his HC in college and took that offense with him to Miami.    Sherman was his OC once he was drafted,  so from that standpoint,  it made sense to invest in Tannehill.   Sherman has had NFL success.    If I were the owner of Miami, I'd be nervous.... 

But everything I see coming out of Miami says Tannehill looks great this off-season and the predictions for him this year are very high.     I don't know how realistic that is,  but that's what I'm seeing....

Well as 'they' say.......Thats why you play the game.....Time will tell

I think it could be a few teams.... Depends who we get in the playoffs next in our first matchup.

Baltimore, Cincinnati, and Buffalo yes Buffalo are my early candidates.

For whatever reason I too have a hunch Buffalo will surprise a few this season, but not due to EJ Manuel carrying the team like Luck did for us last season. 

The cynic in me said if the NFL was truly a fix it would have been a Colts/Skins SB last year....the world may well have exploded. 

77-70 colts victory with luck passing for 600 yards and 7tds, rg3 rushes for 250 and passes 300 yards and stadium implodes and football ceases to exist

No mention of Tannehill's performance in this story,  but here's the latest story talking about how fast and explosive the players think Miami's offense is going to be....

I'm only linking it now, because I logged on this morning and it's one of the lead stories....  pure coincidence,  I didn't search for it....    nothing more.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000217239/article/philip-wheeler-raves-over-miami-dolphins-fast-offense

OK....   now I'm looking for some specific Tannehill stories....   and I've found a couple....    this one quotes Dolphins players talking about how much better he is this off-season....

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/07/10/dolphins-defenders-like-what-theyre-seeing-from-ryan-tannehill/

And here's another quoting a player talking about Tannehill looking 'amazing' this off-season....   there are more hyper-links inside the story linking other stories that have more quotes....

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000215132/article/ryan-tannehill-amazing-miami-dolphins-hartline-says

I know he's got to prove it on the field -- but at least he appears to be making progress.....

Ok, so if I am an NFL GM and I way overdraft a player, then the player doesn't live up to the status of the draft pick that I used on him then it's the player's fault?  Why isn't it my fault for way overdrafting him in the first place?  By that logic I could draft Curtis Painter in the first round and then say it's all his fault he didn't work out and live up to his draft status.

Oh and to answer the OP, I think the early runner for long-standing rivalry is Dalton and the Bengals. He seems to be a talented QB and they are building a very good team around him.  The Titans are also building a pretty solid team around Locker so if he can take that next step, that could be a nice rivalry too.  The dolphins are on the rise and could be another option.  If EJ Manuel works out then the Bills could actually get something going.  

For the record, I intentionally left out Houston simply for the fact it seems that the original point was a rivalry with another team who has a talented QB drafted roughly around the same time that Luck was.

Im going to say Redskins, because there were so many comparisons to Luck and Rg3 whos better etc.  There are  no real rivalries as of now but if a good one came along that would be great.

Except they play in the NFC....the teams will only occasionally play each other. Everybody always looks at the Brady/Manning matchup in the rivalry, but it was really because the colts and pats played a lot of meaningful games....in the playoffs or regular season games with playoff ramifications.

Except they play in the NFC....the teams will only occasionally play each other. Everybody always looks at the Brady/Manning matchup in the rivalry, but it was really because the colts and pats played a lot of meaningful games....in the playoffs or regular season games with playoff ramifications.

Yea i know but as of now we have no real rivalries in the afc now since Manning is gone.  Our old rivalry with the Pats was one of the best in the game. 

My guess is it will be with an as yet unknown QB who will enter the league in the next 2 years. Or it could be Dalton or some backup. Part of what made the Peyton Brady Rivalry so media friendly was the whole #1 pick vs #200 something.

I think the Dolphins vs Colts could turn into a good rivalry. I'm not sure if it will every be Brady vs Manning, but I unlike some other posters here think that Tannehill will improve. I'm not so down on his rookie numbers because look at what the guy had to throw to. A bunch of slot receivers posing as number 1 and number 2 WR, and the likes of people like Legedu Naane. How in the heckcan you stretch the field with that cast he had? I don't care what big names it seemed they may have had on that offensive line, but they didn't appear to block very well when we played those boys. That may have played into his issues last year as well. I think we'll see better from him this year.

Ok, so if I am an NFL GM and I way overdraft a player, then the player doesn't live up to the status of the draft pick that I used on him then it's the player's fault?  Why isn't it my fault for way overdrafting him in the first place?  By that logic I could draft Curtis Painter in the first round and then say it's all his fault he didn't work out and live up to his draft status.

Oh and to answer the OP, I think the early runner for long-standing rivalry is Dalton and the Bengals. He seems to be a talented QB and they are building a very good team around him.  The Titans are also building a pretty solid team around Locker so if he can take that next step, that could be a nice rivalry too.  The dolphins are on the rise and could be another option.  If EJ Manuel works out then the Bills could actually get something going.  

For the record, I intentionally left out Houston simply for the fact it seems that the original point was a rivalry with another team who has a talented QB drafted roughly around the same time that Luck was.

Hmm read it again, I actually said its NOT his fault for being way overdrafted so not sure what that rant is about. Not sure where I even said Dalton wasn't a good QB either.

No mention of Tannehill's performance in this story,  but here's the latest story talking about how fast and explosive the players think Miami's offense is going to be....

I'm only linking it now, because I logged on this morning and it's one of the lead stories....  pure coincidence,  I didn't search for it....    nothing more.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000217239/article/philip-wheeler-raves-over-miami-dolphins-fast-offense

OK....   now I'm looking for some specific Tannehill stories....   and I've found a couple....    this one quotes Dolphins players talking about how much better he is this off-season....

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/07/10/dolphins-defenders-like-what-theyre-seeing-from-ryan-tannehill/

And here's another quoting a player talking about Tannehill looking 'amazing' this off-season....   there are more hyper-links inside the story linking other stories that have more quotes....

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000215132/article/ryan-tannehill-amazing-miami-dolphins-hartline-says

I know he's got to prove it on the field -- but at least he appears to be making progress.....

Come on now, 1.its his teammates talkin...Of course they are gonna talk him up and 2.Congratulations to him being able to complete some passes in shorts in noncontact drills. Does he want a cookie?...Seriously when the bullets fly for real then Ill eat crow but until then 12 td's and 13 int's through 16 starts, He has more weapons now, expectations go up

You are the one who keeps saying that his performance last year didn't live up to his status as being the #8 pick in the draft.  

well it seems the consensus is either Miami or cinci as rivalry canditates, we do play the them both this year and there is always the chance of a wild card or divisional matchup with one of the two, and even though the divisions we play every season rotate accordingly,  we will always play 2 teams of the same conference outside your divisional matchups , supposedly based on the final standings from the year before, but I call bullox on that cause we played the patriots in the regular season like 7 years in a row even when we didn't

play their division, cant wait for the season GO COLTS!!!!