Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Rivalry part 1

Nesjan3

well it seems the consensus is either Miami or cinci as rivalry canditates, we do play the them both this year and there is always the chance of a wild card or divisional matchup with one of the two, and even though the divisions we play every season rotate accordingly,  we will always play 2 teams of the same conference outside your divisional matchups , supposedly based on the final standings from the year before, but I call bullox on that cause we played the patriots in the regular season like 7 years in a row even when we didn't

play their division, cant wait for the season GO COLTS!!!!

You've actually played the Patriots 10 years in a row, and it's for a reason. Division winners always play each other, and you have both been winning your respective divisions for the past decade. The South played the East last year, which explains why you still played them even though we won the division.

These sorts of rivalries manifest themselves on the back of year in and year out playoff battles. Time is the only thing that will craft such rivalries.

Though it may be short lived, such a drama could unfold if the Colts and Broncos were to meet for the next 2-3 years in the playoffs. It would have all the components needed for such a rivalry to take form. 

These sorts of rivalries manifest themselves on the back of year in and year out playoff battles. Time is the only thing that will craft such rivalries.

Though it may be short lived, such a drama could unfold if the Colts and Broncos were to meet for the next 2-3 years in the playoffs. It would have all the components needed for such a rivalry to take form.

Eh, I don't know. A large portion of the fanbase will have a soft spot for PM till he retires, so everyone's heart won't be completely into it like the NE rivalry.

Eh, I don't know. A large portion of the fanbase will have a soft spot for PM till he retires, so everyone's heart won't be completely into it like the NE rivalry.

Ohhhh....we say that now but just you wait til PM leads his team into our house against our team. 

Loyalties go out the window. Such romanticism will be saved for PM's retirement. 

Ohhhh....we say that now but just you wait til PM leads his team into our house against our team. 

Loyalties go out the window. Such romanticism will be saved for PM's retirement. 

haha True, but I think it's fairly obvious across the board that some have let go much faster than others. I think it could end up being a lose-lose situation though. If Manning wins then animosity will spread, but there will also be posters who congratulate him on SB wins (if they happen) and the fans will remain divided. However, if he loses, the Manning fans will scold the overzealous guys who take great pleasure in seeing him lose and, again, the fanbase will remain divided until his retirement. But then again, I could be overthinking this.( As I tend to do sometimes) Maybe more people will let go and maybe others will not see Manning as the bad guy, but merely another block in the way to the big game. Then, there will be peace. I do agree that the romanticism should be saved for the retirement party though Ruk.

haha True, but I think it's fairly obvious across the board that some have let go much faster than others. I think it could end up being a lose-lose situation though. If Manning wins then animosity will spread, but there will also be posters who congratulate him on SB wins (if they happen) and the fans will remain divided. However, if he loses, the Manning fans will scold the overzealous guys who take great pleasure in seeing him lose and, again, the fanbase will remain divided until his retirement. But then again, I could be overthinking this.( As I tend to do sometimes) Maybe more people will let go and maybe others will not see Manning as the bad guy, but merely another block in the way to the big game. Then, there will be peace. I do agree that the romanticism should be saved for the retirement party though Ruk.

What I'm saying is.....well, here's the setting; (Hypothetically) We've met Denver 2 years in a row in the AFCG. 

Now it's the 3rd year in a row we've been paired up. 

The hype and pomp would be overwhelming. This would be a great rivalry, complete with the unique backstory of the whole Manning/Luck exchange. 

What I'm saying is.....well, here's the setting; (Hypothetically) We've met Denver 2 years in a row in the AFCG. 

Now it's the 3rd year in a row we've been paired up. 

The hype and pomp would be overwhelming. This would be a great rivalry, complete with the unique backstory of the whole Manning/Luck exchange. 

That would be unheard of. And every game would be electric. Plus it offers that twisted fan dynamic that the Colts/Patriots rivalry never did, and it would indeed be fun. I like your thinking outside the box, you're the first person to think of this scenario. I think the forum would be sucked into a wormhole if this happened but it would be a great, complicated, emotional, and, like you mentioned, short-lived rivalry haha