Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Stampede Blue Roster Projections

Bluefire4

http://www.stampedeblue.com/2013/6/13/4427314/as-colts-2013-minicamp-ends-we-guess-the-53-man-roster

A few notes I took from this were

• Weslye Saunders made the roster over Justice Cunningham 
  • Emmett Cleary made the roster. Didn't notice him practicing at mini-camp but got his autograph.
  • Delone Carter makes the roster over Donald Brown.
  • Justin Anderson makes the roster over Mike Mcglynn. Justin did look good at mini-camp.
  • Daxton Swanson makes roster as safety. Guess this Brad Wells guy didn't get the memo.

​What do you guys think of keeping donald brown, getting rid of delone carter, and keeping Dan Moore as a short yardage fullback.

Vick Ballard

Ahmad Bradshaw

Delone Carter

Where's the change of pace back in that? All those guys are power backs. If Pep is running this offense, I'm sure he's looking for Donald to be the change of pace cause Shaw may start on the PUP.

And we haven't heard ANYTHING about D. Carter this entire off-season at any workouts. It's like he's not even a Colt

QB- luck, hasslebeck

RB- bradshaw, ballard, willams

FB-havili

WR- wayne, dhb, hilton, brazill, whalen, kelley

TE- fleener, allen, saunders

OL- canstanzo, thomas, satale, thornton, chelius, link, anderson, mcglynn, reitz, holmes

DL- redding, chapman, RFJ, franklin, hughes, treasuve, mckinnely

LB- mathis, walden, werner, sidbury, freeman, sheppard, connor, angerer

CB- davis, toler, butler, vaughn, gordy

S- landry, bethea, lefeged, brown, boyett

ST- adam v, mcafee, overton

PS- price, swanson, cleary, mcnary, cummingham , mcnaus the kicker, harnish, moore

"What do you guys think of keeping donald brown, getting rid of delone carter, and keeping Dan Moore as a short yardage fullback".

Thats my ideal situation, Brown dont fumble regardless of how bad the O Line is and he can get the tough yards with competant O Linemen,  We also dont know what we will get out of Williams yet. Carter cant seem to hang onto the ball and seems to be in the dog house. Combine that with Carter only getting 32 carries all season long last year and that we already have 2 Backs with pretty good power in Ballard and Bradshaw and I think Carter will be looking for another team come the end of the preason or before, Along with Megget, I really like what I saw out of Moore but I think it will come down to what value he can add to the team that we dont already have if he makes it.

Vick Ballard

Ahmad Bradshaw

Delone Carter

Where's the change of pace back in that? All those guys are power backs. If Pep is running this offense, I'm sure he's looking for Donald to be the change of pace cause Shaw may start on the PUP.

And we haven't heard ANYTHING about D. Carter this entire off-season at any workouts. It's like he's not even a Colt

even if we kept Brown, we wouldn't really use him as a change of pace back, Vick Ballard and Ahmad Bradshaw would get all the carries, and Brown would only get carries due to injury.

Vick Ballard

Ahmad Bradshaw

Delone Carter

Carter is coming back from injury and hasnt participated yet.

Carter is coming back from injury and hasnt participated yet.

Exactly, he's injured while Brown is out there impressing Pep Hamilton. So who do you think has the "upper hand" going into Training Camp. The injured or the active who just finished his Mini Camp session?

even if we kept Brown, we wouldn't really use him as a change of pace back, Vick Ballard and Ahmad Bradshaw would get all the carries, and Brown would only get carries due to injury.

Bradshaw won't be there week 1, at least there's a chance he won't. So Brown would automatically be the #2 back. And if we're gonna run the ball the way Pagano has been saying we will, expect to see alot of rotation from our RB's

I as well do believe Brown will be on the roster over Carter and Swanson as safety is interesting.

MTC, don't know if you heard. But the whole Dax playing Safety started as a Typo here on Colts.com

Kevin Bowen said he's a CB not Safety. Guess no one got around to changing that on the Colts.com roster

Bradshaw won't be there week 1, at least there's a chance he won't. So Brown would automatically be the #2 back. And if we're gonna run the ball the way Pagano has been saying we will, expect to see alot of rotation from our RB's

why would Bradshaw miss week 1? Everything I have heard on him said he will be back for training camp

At this point Im thinking in no particular order

Bradshaw

Ballard

Brown

Williams

Moore

FB-Havili (Dan Moore can also play FB and I think he could make a very good special teams player)

If Anderson comes to camp in shape and stays healthy he has a small shot to make the roster but I give the edge to Mcglynn do to his perceived versatility

Mckinney is as good as gone I think and his recent off field issue that resulted in jail time likely hurts his chances even more, Tevasue and Heard have a better chance in my opinion and that has zero to do with Mckinneys off field isssue

Donald Brown is 210-220 lbs.

Ahmad Bradshaw is 210-220 lbs.

Vick Ballard is 210-220 lbs.

Delone Carter is 230-40 lbs.

Carter IS the change of pace back.

No he's not. Change of pace is the scat back in the equation. Ballard and Bradshaw are the brusiers and Brown would be the open field back. Carter is still injured as he missed ota's and mini camp so I believe Brown has the upper hand going into TC to be that #3 RB

Vick Ballard

Ahmad Bradshaw

Delone Carter

Agreed... Carter is hurt and has shown very little since he's been here. He is a lot like Ballard in playing style, but bigger and little slower... I don't see where he fits at all now... We can keep at least 1 fullback for short yardage and I like both of the fullbacks we have better than Carter. 

Brown has been injury prone, but he has been playing in a bad scheme, behind an awful line and still shows flashes.. Browns speed and balance is incredible for a back of his size, but he lacks vision and toughness. I don't think Brown is ever going to be a star #1every down back in the NFL, but he has the potential to be an extremely powerful part of a committee...

Brown over Carter is a no-brainer, IMO... especially when you look at the other backs on the roster. No need to have 3 between the Tackles/short yardage backs, plus a fullback, with no speedy change of pace guy. Bradshaw was the Giants primary short yardage/goal line runner... Ballard is tough to bring down and, while versatile like bradshaw, excels between the Tackles. Carter is basically the same type of guy, but with no ability to catch passes, trouble holding on to the football, sub-par blocking skills, and an injury history of his own...

Brown has his own issues... Lack of vision (running into the backs of his lineman), not enough patience, iffy hands, and he tries to break all of his runs to the outside (which may have something to do with the O-Line being blown up on every play). That being said, he has put up respectable numbers here given the circumstances and we need a change of pace back. Kerwynn Williams is brand new and I wouldn't be ready to trust him with the job.

At this point Im thinking in no particular order

Bradshaw

Ballard

Brown

Williams

Moore

FB-Havili (Dan Moore can also play FB and I think he could make a very good special teams player)

If Anderson comes to camp in shape and stays healthy he has a small shot to make the roster but I give the edge to Mcglynn do to his perceived versatility

Mckinney is as good as gone I think and his recent off field issue that resulted in jail time likely hurts his chances even more, Tevasue and Heard have a better chance in my opinion and that has zero to do with Mckinneys off field isssue

How about Bradshaw starts the season on PuP, we keep Ballard, Brown and Williams, and after six weeks the healthiest RBs stay with the team. Odd man out goes on IR.

Sounds like a pretty savvy plan to me.

Also..

I think Reitz makes the team... I was hoping Ijalana would look great and come in at OG and backup OT, but from what I've heard, it looks like a long-shot. If he doesn't make it, then Clearly probably will, if he does, then Link/Cleary will be battling each other for a spot.

I like Saunders, but was hoping that the hype around Cunningham turned out to be warranted and he could make the team as a dangerous option in 3TE sets...

I don't think that we will keep 4 Safeties, but maybe we should, given Landry's injury history.

I sure hope that Anderson looks good enough to knock off McGlynn at OG, but I know next to nothing about him.

I can see J. Anderson making it

Georgia Bulldog linemen are usually pretty good. He got injured before we could see him plau last year so we'll see what happens. But the oline period looks better (on paper since we haven't seen action) than it did last year

If you can name 5 GOOD things/reasons why we should keep Carter you may have a case

He runs harder, doesn't go down with a two hand tap. Runs through defenders and over them. Has a much better size for a power running game. Come cheaper than Brown. Has stayed more healthy compared to Brown.

I'm not sure what everyone sees in Carter. Dude fumbles at an exceedingly high rate. 4 fumbles on only 139 touches.

Say what you want about Donald Brown, but he doesn't put the ball on the ground.

Give you that, Brown has only had one fumble to Carter's 4. 3 of them in his rookie season on a pathetic 1-15 team. Brown has also missed 9 games due to injury. Also he's getting paid pretty big for our 3rd rb on the depth chart.

He runs harder, doesn't go down with a two hand tap. Runs through defenders and over them. Has a much better size for a power running game. Come cheaper than Brown. Has stayed more healthy compared to Brown.

Yes Carter is a more physical back than Brown but Brown also has a lot more explosiveness than Carter is and frankly has produced more big plays to help us win games since he's been here than Carter even if the fans don't like him.  There is a reason why Brown has always been higher on the depth chart than Carter in all the years he's been here. 

Brown is in the last year of a rookie deal he is not making that much money he's only a 2.7 million cap hit.  The Colts are in great shape with the cap, money is not going to be a factor here.  It's going to come down to which one is better, unless the Colts grade them out to be 100% even then you go with the cheaper guy but I doubt that is going to happen.

Carter has had his fair share of injuries for a guy who hasn't gotten many snaps.  It's not like we are comparing Reggie Wayne's injury history to Collie's for example. 

Carter also puts the ball on the ground, that is almost a trump card when talking about running backs.  Like Pagano said to Brazil last year in the Bears game "Son it's better to die young than fumble."  Carter is going to have to prove he can not put it on the ground for starters.  You also have to factor in Carter looks to have fallen out of favor with the current coaching staff and I think he's behind Brown right now.  I've also heard people who get paid to cover the Colts say the Colts love Brown's leadership and that's something none of us know but will also probably play a factor in who we keep or don't. 

With that all said it's not impossible that Williams doesn't beat both of them out for the last running back spot if the Colts like him in that role. 

Give you that, Brown has only had one fumble to Carter's 4. 3 of them in his rookie season on a pathetic 1-15 team. Brown has also missed 9 games due to injury. Also he's getting paid pretty big for our 3rd rb on the depth chart.

Carter has missed 6 games though. It's not like he's immune to injury.

As for Brown's contract, it's basically 1.5% of the salary cap. He gives us a change of pace and can score from anywhere on the field. I don't think he's a starting RB in this league, but I wouldn't use his minor salary cap hit to justify cutting him for a guy who's known to have a fumbling problem.

Basically IMO, Brown's cap hit plus his ability to secure the ball > Carter's low cap hit, but his threat of a turnover.

I think we will trade Luck and Matt to NY for Sanchez. That would be the most logical idea. Just keep one QB in Mark Sanchez if for some reason he goes down, which he won't because he's FREAKING MARK SANCHEZ, then we could just use Josh Chapman @ QB.

I think we will trade Luck and Matt to NY for Sanchez. That would be the most logical idea. Just keep one QB in Mark Sanchez if for some reason he goes down, which he won't because he's FREAKING MARK SANCHEZ, then we could just use Josh Chapman @ QB.

Sanchez the one QB who will make your team wish for Curtis Painter.

Camp will sort our starting RB situation out, but I'd be shocked if we let Brown go in favor of Carter. I don't think it's particularly close at this point.

There's a better chance Brown beats out Ballard for the #2 gig than there is of Carter or Williams beating out Brown. Either way, the competition's going to be fierce. The depth chart at RB going into training camp is one thing; we'll see what it looks like come final cut time.

I'm not sure what everyone sees in Carter. Dude fumbles at an exceedingly high rate. 4 fumbles on only 139 touches.

Say what you want about Donald Brown, but he doesn't put the ball on the ground.

Carter may fumble, but I hate the way Brown dances around in the backfield. He needs to be more aggressive. Hopefully he realizes that when his job is on the line.