Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Bjoern Werner's shot at DROY

BProland85

Funny how the Forum Nazis always jump on someone if they dare speculate about anything. "No, you actually have to see the person play before even suggesting something." Isn't that the whole point of a forum, unless all we talk about is what happened last year?

We wouldn't/don't even agree on history here... from this we can glean that the purpose of a forum is not to discuss but to be contrarian... no?

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Watt had 5 1/2 sacks 4 passes defended 2 fumble recoveries and a blocked field goal. His rookie year.

What is your point? You said he could be better than Watt. You didn't say he could have a better rookie year. But we shouldn't compare the two as Watt was the starter and had significant playing time while Werner may very well be a back-up. They also play different positions. But we'll all see what the guy has to offer when the season rolls around.

What is your point? You said he could be better than Watt. You didn't say he could have a better rookie year. But we shouldn't compare the two as Watt was the starter and had significant playing time while Werner may very well be a back-up. They also play different positions. But we'll all see what the guy has to offer when the season rolls around.

"Could be" leaves plenty of wiggle room in any projection. I know Watt is your boy, but best not to get ye olde panties in such a wad.

"Could be" leaves plenty of wiggle room in any projection. I know Watt is your boy, but best not to get ye olde panties in such a wad.

Lol you're kidding me. I'm not bent out of shape. I took "could be" one way and commented on it. If Steven thought otherwise he can tell me himself. And I would reply in kind about the slight misunderstanding.

Lol you're kidding me. I'm not bent out of shape. I took "could be" one way and commented on it. If Steven thought otherwise he can tell me himself. And I would reply in kind about the slight misunderstanding.

I was razzing you, yes.

Now, if we were talking Pro Bowl, then yes, I'd say the projection is insane because there's so many other known, proven high level players at the position. 

DROY is a whole other story. You've all heard about how MVP is, in reality, only an offensive award and usually a QB's to lose. I'd say that's accurate. DROY is, in reality, the front 7 player who puts the biggest numbers. There's only been one DB in the past 20 years that's won it (Charles Woodson, back in Peyton's rookie season). DT's who win it are also rare. Overwhelmingly, it's either the LB or pass rusher that puts up the prettiest numbers that gets the award.

With this class of DE's, his competition will primarily come from LB's (Te'o, Brown, Ogletree, Bostic, and Alonso). Here's hoping he impresses enough to get on the field routinely and give us some cannon fodder to argue with.  :rock:

My point was lets see if he beats watts rookie numbers first.Watt had a huge jump from year one to two. As for the other comment i was saying he could be better than Watt since we havent seen he play a single snap but that doesnt mean he will be.But ideally we'd want his numbers to be better than what freeney's was last year which means he needs atleast 6 sacks. I KNOW the two play different positions.I think the only reason the two were compared is because werner is also good at batting down passes and getting sacks.

Funny how the Forum Nazis always jump on someone if they dare speculate about anything.  "No, you actually have to see the person play before even suggesting something."   Isn't that the whole point of a forum, unless all we talk about is what happened last year?

Doesn't that make you 'Forum Nazi' for jumping on those who jump on those who dare speculate about anything?

Protocol on an Internet Forum is harder to follow than the complete box set of Lost.

Well I could argue that the most reknowned ILB's in the league recently have all played in a 3-4 scheme. Lewis, Urchaler, Willis, Bowman etc.

Always thought Lewis played his best when the Ravens were a 43 defense.

My point was lets see if he beats watts rookie numbers first.Watt had a huge jump from year one to two. As for the other comment i was saying he could be better than Watt since we havent seen he play a single snap but that doesnt mean he will be.But ideally we'd want his numbers to be better than what freeney's was last year which means he needs atleast 6 sacks. I KNOW the two play different positions.I think the only reason the two were compared is because werner is also good at batting down passes and getting sacks.

Yep, and that is all that matters. All you need is a good contributor.

J.J. Watt put up some ridiculous numbers last year...actually one of the greatest seasons ever by a D-lineman.  20.5 sacks; 42 hits on the QB; 39 tackles for loss; 16 pass deflections and 31 tackles for no gain or loss.  Those are just ridiculous numbers.

To expect Werner to be as good or better than Watt is unfair to Werner. Even if Werner happens to best J.J.'s rookie season,  he'll do well if he turns out to be even a poor man's version of Watt as it is unlikely he will ever put up numbers like J.J. did last season.  Heck if Werner can average about 10+ sacks a year I'd be  happy enough with that.   

J.J. Watt put up some ridiculous numbers last year...actually one of the greatest seasons ever by a D-lineman.  20.5 sacks; 42 hits on the QB; 39 tackles for loss; 16 pass deflections and 31 tackles for no gain or loss.  Those are just ridiculous numbers.

To expect Werner to be as good or better than Watt is unfair to Werner. Even if Werner happens to best J.J.'s rookie season,  he'll do well if he turns out to be even a poor man's version of Watt as it is unlikely he will ever put up numbers like J.J. did last season.  Heck if Werner can average about 10+ sacks a year I'd be  happy enough with that.

10 plus sacks a year would be great

Doesn't that make you 'Forum Nazi' for jumping on those who jump on those who dare speculate about anything?

Protocol on an Internet Forum is harder to follow than the complete box set of Lost.

We apologize again for the fault in the subtitles. Those responsible for sacking the people who have just been sacked have been sacked.

I am going to take some shots for this but I could see Bjorn actually being somewhat of a bust in his time through his first few years. DO NOT be surprised if he disappoints. Gut feeling

Is that a gut feeling after watching him play in college or just a random guess?

Now, if we were talking Pro Bowl, then yes, I'd say the projection is insane because there's so many other known, proven high level players at the position. 

DROY is a whole other story. You've all heard about how MVP is, in reality, only an offensive award and usually a QB's to lose. I'd say that's accurate. DROY is, in reality, the front 7 player who puts the biggest numbers. There's only been one DB in the past 20 years that's won it (Charles Woodson, back in Peyton's rookie season). DT's who win it are also rare. Overwhelmingly, it's either the LB or pass rusher that puts up the prettiest numbers that gets the award.

With this class of DE's, his competition will primarily come from LB's (Te'o, Brown, Ogletree, Bostic, and Alonso). Here's hoping he impresses enough to get on the field routinely and give us some cannon fodder to argue with.  :rock:

Te'o will win DROY if it's an internet enhanced vote like the Pro Bowl.

I am going to take some shots for this but I could see Bjorn actually being somewhat of a bust in his time through his first few years. DO NOT be surprised if he disappoints. Gut feeling

Not exactly a brave prediction considering our 1st round drafting history when picking in the 20+ position. It's like predicting Bill Polian would throw in a Mark Levy quote on his Monday Night radio show.

And brady will throw for 1000 yards after starting all 16 games this season

I don't get this comparison at all.    "The Boz" was a media hype creation.     He was a "good" college player who played on a GREAT Oklahoma D.     

How is BjW similar to Bosworth?   He is not sticking his mug in the camera every 5 minutes saying "look at me and my mohawk"  He never committed to being a great NFL player.      From all I can gather BjW is very committed to success.

Just feel like he could get to the NFL and be a Bosworth type

I don't get this comparison at all.    "The Boz" was a media hype creation.     He was a "good" college player who played on a GREAT Oklahoma D.     

How is BjW similar to Bosworth?   He is not sticking his mug in the camera every 5 minutes saying "look at me and my mohawk"  He never committed to being a great NFL player.      From all I can gather BjW is very committed to success.

Well I don't see him as a similar personality. I just think that Florida State guys have a history of getting to the pros and proving to be guys who were phenomenal on tape and on saturdays and just 'meh' on Sunday.

I guess you could say I'm just 'guarded' about the guy but love his ceiling and possible upside.

Well I don't see him as a similar personality. I just think that Florida State guys have a history of getting to the pros and proving to be guys who were phenomenal on tape and on saturdays and just 'meh' on Sunday.

I guess you could say I'm just 'guarded' about the guy but love his ceiling and possible upside.

FSU also has also had lots of players excel in the NFL.

FSU also has also had lots of players excel in the NFL.

Seriously, you got:

Deion Sanders

Walter Jones

Sebastian Janakowski

Anquan Boldin

Darnell Dockett

Antonio Cromartie

Leon Washington

Lawrence Timmons

I wouldn't say that they have a higher bust rate than any other school.

I don't know.  I see this year as more of a learning season for Werner.  He's got a lot of new skills to develop, and I just expect him to steadily increase his PT throughout the year.  I'd be very happy if he becomes a starter in the second half of the season...

Ive got one huge question and I mean huge :thmsup: Isnt Josh Chapman a rookie being he hasn't played in a game yet?

This is such a shady area, as from what I have read in the CBA or elsewhere, there is no clear definition. However, what is certain, is that from a contractual standpoint, he is not a rookie, as he signed his rookie contract last year.

But in terms of eligibility for ROTY, I am unsure, but I believe players who have sat out their first year and played their second have been eligible in the past. The rules may have changed since this took place. Blake Griffin of course one ROTY in the NBA after sitting out his first year.

I have looked extensively in the past for more hard facts on this but they do not seem to be easy found.

There was a debate here last year about whether Jerrel Freeman should be considered a rookie, but that was more clear cut, he was not because he had already played football professionally.

Total FAIL...