Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

04 manning vs 07 brady is decided

CR91

As well it should. Peyton had a ludicrous 9.9 TD% (Modern era record) and averaged 9.2 yards per attempt.

Just to put this into perspective, if Luck averaged the same numbers this year that Peyton did in 2004, his stat line would have been:

62 TDs, 12 INTs, and 5,768 yards.

49 TDs in 15 games.

50 TDs in 16 games.

Too bad Peyton had too much respect for Marino to smash the record. I remember he didn't even want to break it. He said he only wanted to tie it. I believe it was on the CBS Pre-game show during our bye week, or when we had a prime time game. Can't remember.

Just to put this into perspective, if Luck averaged the same numbers this year that Peyton did in 2004, his stat line would have been:

62 TDs, 12 INTs, and 5,768 yards.

Stafford's would have been even more absurd:

71 TDs, 14 INTs, and 6,688 yards.

Stafford's would have been even more absurd:

71 TDs, 14 INTs, and 6,688 yards.

If Peyton threw the ball as much as Brady in '07 then it would have been:

391/578, 58TDs, 12 INTs, and 5318.

I don't think many people realize Peyton threw the second least attempts of his career that season. He was insanely efficient.

I don't think many people realize Peyton threw the second least attempts of his career that season. He was insanely efficient.

Precisely. Also, no offense to the Patriots, but they also ran up the score on people. Brady even admitted as much in a radio show, saying that they want to win, they want to kill people, they want to blow them out if they can. Belichick also hates pulling his starters. They're also known for going for it on 4th down on many occasions, especially in 2007, and who can blame them, Brady's conversion % was insane, and Belichick exploited that. It didn't help Peyton was stuck with Tony Dungy, who was very conservative.

When you add it all up, the Patriots simply threw the ball a lot more than Manning and the Colts did.

Precisely. Also, no offense to the Patriots, but they also ran up the score on people. Brady even admitted as much in a radio show, saying that they want to win, they want to kill people, they want to blow them out if they can. Belichick also hates pulling his starters. They're also known for going for it on 4th down on many occasions, especially in 2007, and who can blame them, Brady's conversion % was insane, and Belichick exploited that. It didn't help Peyton was stuck with Tony Dungy, who was very conservative.

When you add it all up, the Patriots simply threw the ball a lot more than Manning and the Colts did.

Also a lot of play action 1st and goal where they could have easily run the ball in.

497 attempts and completed 336 that's more impressive than marino's 564 attempts and 362 completions though granted marino's big year was his sophomore year which is very impressive

also, marino carried that team. very little running game, and an average at best defense

That's really the best way to categorize it. Better, worse, whatever, that's all subjective. But Manning's 2004 season was just outstanding from an efficiency standpoint. The offense was at it's peak, and everything was humming. First team to have three receivers with 1,000 yards and 10 touchdowns, and then Edge had 1,500 yards and 9 touchdowns. And then we took Week 17 off.

Man, I didn't realize that Randy Moss was the only WR that had double digit TD numbers on that Pat's team. How has Welker never had at least a 10 TD season with Brady?.

its called doing the dirty work

I understand that, but you would think if Brady threw 50 TD's that one of his most consistent targets would of had at least 10-12 of those.

Well Moss got 23 of them.

Welker had 8 that year. But most of his damage was done underneath. It really was a great tandem.