Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Freeney impresses Chargers

vinsanity

I don't think the Chargers are a good fit for Freeney.  I could see him join a team like the Broncos, Dallas (ugly thought but they are a 4-3 now and teamed up with D-Ware would be problematic),  or Vikings. I don't want to see him in a 3-4. Freeney needs to be in a 4-3 system strictly as a pass rusher role.

Dear god Castonzo is gonna get abused on Monday Night Football week 6! He better have tie his cleats with a double knot

Gavin, Freeney is GARBAGE in a 3-4. He'll be benched just like how the Packers benched Jeff Saturday.

He just set himself up for failure. Why leave a 3-4 defense that you sucked in then go to another one? Makes no sense

Gavin, Freeney is GARBAGE in a 3-4. He'll be benched just like how the Packers benched Jeff Saturday.

He just set himself up for failure. Why leave a 3-4 defense that you sucked in then go to another one? Makes no sense

Freeney did have 34 QB pressures last year

Yeah, they will run more 4-3 formations, just to accomodate him, IMO.

Should be interesting. Now, all the RBs that play the Chargers are salivating.

Peyton calls "Cross razor, omaha, omaha, kill, kill, kill, 9 to 3" and then a run draw play towards Freeney... :)

Luck calls "wide 90, omaha, omaha, on 3" and then a run draw play towards Freeney :)

If they play him mostly on 3rd and longs, he will help with their 3rd down stops.

Well, the job offers haven't exactly been flooding his mailbox/phone...

Now Castonzo  was a bright spot on the colts O-line last year probably the only one and he has been improving so you never know he could shut Freeney down.

His pass blocking was mediocre. Hopefully he makes strides in his 3rd year.

34 QB pressures don't matter when you finish the season with only five sacks he is not a fit in the 3-4 .

While I agree and don't like him in the 3-4, don't get caught up in the numbers because QB pressures are important as well and extremely effective. Don't under value the effectiveness of impact. Not to mention Freeney was double teamed all throughout the year.

His pass blocking was mediocre. Hopefully he makes strides in his 3rd year.

And I know I've raised this point before, but the OLine, more than any other group, is about "sum of the parts".

Maybe AC looked mediocre in some instances because the rest of the line was so awful... or because Luck was running for his life so often that he improvised himself into the defender AC was blocking...

While I agree and don't like him in the 3-4, don't get caught up in the numbers because QB pressures are important as well and extremely effective. Don't under value the effectiveness of impact. Not to mention Freeney was double teamed all throughout the year.

Dunno about the "all throughout the year."  I recall seeing him handled quite a bit one on one. No question that if there was a double team , it was more often than not on DF. But I don't think teams had to double and chip him as much as years before.

The Chargers know Freeney is a pure pass rusher, They wont set him up to fail i dont think, They will run plays that allow him to have his hand in the dirt more often then not, With that said just runa t him, he cant stop it which in turn will render his pass rush useless

I don't think the Chargers are a good fit for Freeney.  I could see him join a team like the Broncos, Dallas (ugly thought but they are a 4-3 now and teamed up with D-Ware would be problematic),  or Vikings. I don't want to see him in a 3-4. Freeney needs to be in a 4-3 system strictly as a pass rusher role.

maybe he will tell the other team any offer terms and see if a 4-3 team matches

Yeah, they will run more 4-3 formations, just to accomodate him, IMO.

Should be interesting. Now, all the RBs that play the Chargers are salivating.

Peyton calls "Cross razor, omaha, omaha, kill, kill, kill, 9 to 3" and then a run draw play towards Freeney... :)

Luck calls "wide 90, omaha, omaha, on 3" and then a run draw play towards Freeney :)

If they play him mostly on 3rd and longs, he will help with their 3rd down stops.

DEnver is designing's Ball as a 1 cut t poer up the middle and thats also what wants other RBs to do maainly, one reason beoght in old OL coach foe Elway to mix in zone blocking for 1 cut runs

And I know I've raised this point before, but the OLine, more than any other group, is about "sum of the parts".

Maybe AC looked mediocre in some instances because the rest of the line was so awful... or because Luck was running for his life so often that he improvised himself into the defender AC was blocking...

I watched the All 22 film last season and Castonzo just wasn't very good. I to hate say it, but he often just got plain ol butt whipped.

We saw this last year......Obviously they can made the D a hybrid but

Can somebody explain how Freeney can play in a 3-4 on first down and be effective.?

If he's got his hand in the dirt...then its not a 3-4 ...and he's got to stop the run, not really his thing

If not, he's got to cover the TE..(opr a back out of the backfield?)...again not his thing.....

Chad is right.....Peyton Manning will eat that up...

I'm not buying the whole thing. Dwight's got plenty of bucks..

I just dont thinkhe will go to a team that does not have a serious chance to go deep in the playoffs.

How is SD going to win that division or beat out Indy, Cincy and Pitt for the wild cards?

Cant see Freeney being happy with a nonplayoff team.

We saw this last year......Obviously they can made the D a hybrid but

Can somebody explain how Freeney can play in a 3-4 on first down and be effective.?

If he's got his hand in the dirt...then its not a 3-4 ...and he's got to stop the run, not really his thing

If not, he's got to cover the TE..(opr a back out of the backfield?)...again not his thing.....

Chad is right.....Peyton Manning will eat that up...

I'm not buying the whole thing. Dwight's got plenty of bucks..

I just dont thinkhe will go to a team that does not have a serious chance to go deep in the playoffs.

How is SD going to win that division or beat out Indy, Cincy and Pitt for the wild cards?

Cant see Freeney being happy with a nonplayoff team.

He can't. His cover skills are non-existent and he gets pushed out of the way too much on blocks.

If he were to go to San Diego they would likely switch to a 43 for the rest of the season to accommodate him and if not he would strictly be limited to passing downs (3rd and longs).

My guess would be the former. His speed has definitely deteriorated but he's not completely useless. He still has to be accounted for with his pass rush and still has the speed to beat less athletic tackles. 

I watched the All 22 film last season and Castonzo just wasn't very good. I to hate say it, but he often just got plain ol butt whipped.

Whatever.

No offense, but the ability to watch games is NOT equivalent to ability to evaluate talent and understand reasons for a player's success or failure. My view is no more or less qualified than yours.

Whatever.

No offense, but the ability to watch games is NOT equivalent to ability to evaluate talent and understand reasons for a player's success or failure. My view is no more or less qualified than yours.

Oh, my bad coach schwamm