Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Mathis Or Wayne

WSO

If the Colts had to re-sign one of them which one would be the better choice?

Man, that's a tough call! If we had to choose between them, I don't think we could be mad at the front office either way for which ever way they choose to go. Mathis is younger and has more years of productivity ahead of him. Wayne is our best offensive weapon, other than Manning, of course. If we get a high pick, we could replace Wayne with Alshon Jeffery or Justin Blackmon, but I don't think Mathis is as easily replaceable. I'd go with Mathis.

The fact that hughes has shown nothing to this point i can't see how it's not mathis.I love reggie but pass rusher's are tough to find.Reggie is looking for a huge payday and it will be tough to keep both.

i think this is a great point because if we lose Mathis we won't have a suitable back up unless we go DE early and we arent even guaranteed there for sure. Not too fond of our past 1st round picks (Gonzo, Brown etc.) We saw what Mathis did on sunday night.

I know Collie can be a starter but Garcon is also a F/A next year too so maybe if we keep Collie and draft a W/R in the 1st or 2nd?

i think this is a great point because if we lose Mathis we won't have a suitable back up unless we go DE early and we arent even guaranteed there for sure. Not too fond of our past 1st round picks (Gonzo, Brown etc.) We saw what Mathis did on sunday night.

I know Collie can be a starter but Garcon is also a F/A next year too so maybe if we keep Collie and draft a W/R in the 1st or 2nd?

It better be both they are real pros. polian said they both would be taken care of. they both reported

both have been quite and both have played hard, now reward them BOTH!

That is because our CRACK staff forgot he is one of the best pass catching tight ends and are trying

to turn him into a all pro TACKLE.

both. i dont see us bringing back brackett which would have cost us 5 million. doubt we resign bullitt so hes gone. collins wont be back so that saves the 10 million we would have had to pay him and if all that isnt enough to bring them both back i doubt peyton would mind taking a pay cut since he did it once already

I see no need for this discussion.

We're in week 4 of the season. Next topic...

so don't participate in the discussion ;)

It better be both they are real pros. polian said they both would be taken care of. they both reported

both have been quite and both have played hard, now reward them BOTH!

As much as I would like to agree, you also have to consider the future. You can't reward a player for service in years past by paying him more than what you're likely to get from him in the future.

If we had to choose one over the other, which would be a very tough choice, I think I'd go for Wayne. We have a young receiving core and Gonzo and Garcon have both given reason to possibly let them go. Having at least one veteran WR would be great to help teach the younger guys how to be fundamentally sound. How to run routes, make your cuts, when to break your route and come back to the QB, how to determine which way to go on option routes, etc.

I love Mathis as much as anyone but due to the above, if we had to choose one or the other I'd choose Wayne.

Hasn't polian already mentioned that he would do whatever is necessary to keep both? Besides I don't see Wayne and Mathis as greedy, money hungry type of guys...maybe they'll take a paycut who knows. All we gotta do is cut gonzo,d.brown, Hughes and maybe one other player

I don't know if I agree with it 100% but apparently the Colts will owe Bracket some 5 million next year and that might be the best way to clear cap.

Offense wins championships right?...Oh wait that's defense. Older players will contribute at a higher level than younger players right?...Oh wait. Manning makes average defensive players into pro-bowlers right?...oh wait that's offensive players. This is a a no brainer. Mathis all the way. Our team has been built to play with a lead, and Manning can score with no matter who he is throwing the ball to. We need a pass rush, and Mathis is one of the best in the game. We will more than likely re-sign both, but Mathis is top priority.

Offense wins championships right?...Oh wait that's defense. Older players will contribute at a higher level than younger players right?...Oh wait. Manning makes average defensive players into pro-bowlers right?...oh wait that's offensive players. This is a a no brainer. Mathis all the way. Our team has been built to play with a lead, and Manning can score with no matter who he is throwing the ball to. We need a pass rush, and Mathis is one of the best in the game. We will more than likely re-sign both, but Mathis is top priority.

Reggie Wayne is a good player on any team. Him along with Marvin are the only receivers Manning didn't make great. They were already great to begin with.

Manning makes slot receivers look good, not wide outs.

If we lose Reggie it will be a problem.

Colts haven't managed the payroll very well over the years. Unless they find some savings somewhere, one of them will probably have to go.

Can you explain more about this? It is my understanding that we generally have a pretty high cap figure, but that we manage it extremely well. I don't think there will be any trouble finding a way to pay them both with the way they've structured other players' contracts, such as Manning's.

I think we can keep both next year, they'll make it happen. If I had to chose, it would be Mathis. I mean he is one of our few key defensive players. Mathis and Freeney together make their effectiveness better. I love Wayne, I know he won't be gone next year ;), but Mathis is a more needed player.