Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Denver failed to close out Ravens when Knowshon Moreno got hurt...

BleedingBlue

The double whammy was both McGahee and Moreno going out, one for the season and the other for the game. I never understood the Hillman pick because he was not stellar on the pass protection front that Ball is better at, and McGahee and Moreno were better at that too.

Almost every single time I read NFL General I see a new reason as to why Denver failed to beat Baltimore..

That's the price of losing....isnt it?

I thouhgt RB Ronnie Hillman was very, very good in the playoff game.....but Denver didnt win... so the position gets a hit..

Think about it. If Flacco doenst hit a 70-yard last minute bomb.......that playoff game goes down as one of Peyton Manning's greatest post-season 4th Q triumphs and Trindan Holiday is a sensation throughout the football nation

The very last reason Denver lost that game is because of the run game which makes this pick surprising just like the signing of Welker. Denver clearly needs defensive help. Ball is a slow guy that will help blocking and pick up short yardage downs. Lacy would have made more sense.

The very last reason Denver lost that game is because of the run game which makes this pick surprising just like the signing of Welker. Denver clearly needs defensive help. Ball is a slow guy that will help blocking and pick up short yardage downs. Lacy would have made more sense.

Its very hard to tell how backs who are accustomed to getting the ball 20 times a game adjust to not getting the ball 20 times a game...so both will have to adjust

Ball's never been injured or fumble prone (in college) so this pick makes a lot of sense.

Its very hard to tell how backs who are accustomed to getting the ball 20 times a game adjust to not getting the ball 20 times a game...so both will have to adjust

Ball's never been injured or fumble prone (in college) so this pick makes a lot of sense.

It is not a bad pick just not an impact pick. When the best thing you can say about a RB is that he is durable and hangs on to the ball then tells you all you need to know. Fox is big on having a run game so I get the pick but honestly if I am a Bronco fan, I want defense all day.

I am a Bronco fan and I'm noting that they didnt draft a pass rush end,,

leaving the door open for Dwight Freeney..

But you almost have to manufacture needs on a 13-4 team that had one of the top defenses and offenses in the NFL...

..and already signed a half dozen free agents.

We're looking at if differently. Im an offensive guy (many have told me that :goodluck: )

In a league where everybody in the playoffs scores 28-35 points almost every game, I want offensive depth

Denver added a D-tackle and corner and they could certainly use another LB

I am a Bronco fan and I'm noting that they didnt draft a pass rush end,,

leaving the door open for Dwight Freeney..

But you almost have to manufacture needs on a 13-4 team that had one of the top defenses and offenses in the NFL...

..and already signed a half dozen free agents.

We're looking at if differently. Im an offensive guy (many have told me that :goodluck: )

In a league where everybody in the playoffs scores 28-35 points almost every game, I want offensive depth

Denver added a D-tackle and corner and they could certainly use another LB

Yes, they could be leaving the door open for Freeney which is a head scratcher as there were a lot of DE studs in this draft that would cost a lot less than Freeney.

I hear you on the offense but when you have #18 you don't need a whole lot. I think the Denver D looked as good as it did because of #18 and the cupcake schedule. They got exposed by the Ravens when #18 struggled just like the Pats did when Brady could not pick up his typical 25-30 points a game. The playoffs are still about D, I don't care what the pundits say. You have to get stops and be able to slow the passing attack of the other team.

Still though, there are picks to go. It is easy to fall prety to putting top talent around a QB like Manning or Brady but really in the end they need the defense to help them get the ring.

I'll say it again, the loss of Knowshon allowed the Ravens D to drop back and play the pass.  And we all know how that story goes when Peyton is not able to run the ball.  Add in a defense that choked big time and you got yourself a big fat L.  Peyton played pretty well despite the few mistakes.   

Almost every single time I read NFL General I see a new reason as to why Denver failed to beat Baltimore..

I realize that you meant this maliciously, but you are right. The thing is, there are lots of reasons and they are all valid. There is a difference between "reasons" which imply logical analysis, and "excuses" which imply the immature diversion of blame. The bottom line is that the Broncos are a better team and would have won that match-up 9 times out of 10. The Ravens deserved to win the Super Bowl, but that doesn't mean that they should have won that game.

That's the price of losing....isnt it?

I thouhgt RB Ronnie Hillman was very, very good in the playoff game.....but Denver didnt win... so the position gets a hit..

Think about it. If Flacco doenst hit a 70-yard last minute bomb.......that playoff game goes down as one of Peyton Manning's greatest post-season 4th Q triumphs and Trindan Holiday is a sensation throughout the football nation

I don't recall Hillman being good enough. He has flashes but he is too small for short-yardage, and he can't block rendering him useless for 3rd and long. I'm having trouble figuring out where he fits in at all actually - unless they start going with two back sets (McGahee and Hillman) which I think would be cool actually. Both could block, either could run, or Hillman could pop out for a screen. Get the man in space, but don't leave him alone in the backfield! Bottom line - Moreno going down was a HUGE factor in that game.

Running may be low on the list, but it was still a reason. Without McGahee and Moreno they simply lost the ability to run effectively. That exposed a need, and amplified the fact that both are injury prone and can't be counted on. Whatever you want to say about Ball, you can't say that. A three down back is a great strength, as is a reliable back, as is a back who doesn't fumble, as is a back effective in short yardage situations, as is a back who is effective in the passing game. I have some miss-givings about Ball, but I had no desire for the pick to be used on a different position. I was hoping that Bell would be available actually, but what can you do. Lacy may well be more talented (or was it that wall of an offensive line - I haven't watched more than a couple of clips), but he had health issues - that's why he was still available. The team doesn't need ANOTHER injured running back.

By the way, they already helped the defense both in free agency and in the draft. Two CBs (and they already had a good collection despite the errors in that game), an explosive tackle that they can barely contain their glee about as well as a mountain of a rotation tackle among others. Welker is a replacement and an upgrade over the aging Stokely. I'm not sure why you question the virtues of a third wide receiver. It was the addition of Stokely that led directly to Peyton's offensive explosion when he broke the TD record. You can't cover all three of them. That led DIRECTLY to the Patriots running out to sign three wide receivers of their own, and Brady's resulting offensive explosion when HE set the TD record. In a way it set the tone for the entire league today. The Broncos stated intention is to play faster next year. Weapons are required, two have now been added AND the defense has been upgraded. I can't wait for the season to start.

It does get old. You got beat by the SB champs, time to move on, I agree!!!

It might have been better phrasing it as why Montee Ball was drafted plus despite having 5 CBs on the roster, why a 6th CB was drafted. The latter, I can tell you, I expect one of their CBs to be asked to play safety, IMO, ala Charles Woodson.

It does get old. You got beat by the SB champs, time to move on, I agree!!!

It might have been better phrasing it as why Montee Ball was drafted plus despite having 5 CBs on the roster, why a 6th CB was drafted. The latter, I can tell you, I expect one of their CBs to be asked to play safety, IMO, ala Charles Woodson.

If you're referring to Bailey, I find that hard to believe. There was actually a suggestion that the draft pick might play safety. Tough guy from what I read and saw on a highlight video. The clips had only like one interception. He seems to have a knack for "making plays" but, most were near the line of scrimmage. Anyway, in this day and age, I'm not sure that 5 cbs is enough.

dont agree..i think they started losing control when knoshown moreno went down(i really think that just before half they could have just pull over and ravens wouldnt even sniff the broncos at the second half...but it didnt happen).. it might be OL or RB or a combination but after Vasquez signing RB was also a priority for them and a justified one IMO

Montee Ball has A LOT of miles on him. You cant recover from miles.

'thats is true, apparently many GMs were afraid of Ed Lacy having recurent injuries said Mayock & broncos have 2 prone already, Mayock also said were whispers that alabama was happy that he left, and they , the school thpought he actually wasant best back on rooster

Ball will grind out yards, not  many long runs, can block & catch, , Not many vacks were able to do all 3 but yes others could make longer runs abd catch, but noty v block ,

Peyton needs that, he wont carry nearly as much either as is a throwing team but just has to get that critical first down so fox goes on 4th & 1 etc

He would of went higher if came out after year before, production went down at seasons start as was walking and attacked last august , suffered a concussion, 2nd half of season it picked up again, also all Defenses were keyed to stop him, not the pass, in Denver it will be different

If you're referring to Bailey, I find that hard to believe. There was actually a suggestion that the draft pick might play safety. Tough guy from what I read and saw on a highlight video. The clips had only like one interception. He seems to have a knack for "making plays" but, most were near the line of scrimmage. Anyway, in this day and age, I'm not sure that 5 cbs is enough.

I can see Kayvon Webster starting off as safety, yeah!!!

'thats is true, apparently many GMs were afraid of Ed Lacy having recurent injuries said Mayock & broncos have 2 prone already, Mayock also said were whispers that alabama was happy that he left, and they , the school thpought he actually wasant best back on rooster

Ball will grind out yards, not  many long runs, can block & catch, , Not many vacks were able to do all 3 but yes others could make longer runs abd catch, but noty v block ,

Peyton needs that, he wont carry nearly as much either as is a throwing team but just has to get that critical first down so fox goes on 4th & 1 etc

He would of went higher if came out after year before, production went down at seasons start as was walking and attacked last august , suffered a concussion, 2nd half of season it picked up again, also all Defenses were keyed to stop him, not the pass, in Denver it will be different

Montee Ball, if not used in a time share, will give the Broncos 3-4 years at best. If used in a time share, he can go 6-7 years, I can see that.

I see Joe Addai who was not a feature back drafted by the Colts. Once he was in a time share with Rhodes, the running game was very efficient. Once he became the feature back, it worked for a year or two at best but never two years in a row and injuries crept up for Addai. Montee Ball is durable enough since he has been a lead back before but the NFL is a different ball game, RBC is a must. If used wisely behind in a time share, he will be more productive than being a lead back, because of his mileage.

Then, you see Giovanni Bernard to the Bengals in the tough AFC North that is brutal on RBs, and Le'Veon Bell to the Steelers again in the tough AFC North, those RBs have low mileage and do real well during their rookie contracts and unfortunately, an RB beyond his rookie contract is probably run to the ground by then in that division especially.

:lol:

Montee Ball, if not used in a time share, will give the Broncos 3-4 years at best. If used in a time share, he can go 6-7 years, I can see that.

I see Joe Addai who was not a feature back drafted by the Colts. Once he was in a time share with Rhodes, the running game was very efficient. Once he became the feature back, it worked for a year or two at best but never two years in a row and injuries crept up for Addai. Montee Ball is durable enough since he has been a lead back before but the NFL is a different ball game, RBC is a must. If used wisely behind in a time share, he will be more productive than being a lead back, because of his mileage.

Then, you see Giovanni Bernard to the Bengals in the tough AFC North that is brutal on RBs, and Le'Veon Bell to the Steelers again in the tough AFC North, those RBs have low mileage and do real well during their rookie contracts and unfortunately, an RB beyond his rookie contract is probably run to the ground by then in that division especially.

The way I see it, Montee's got about as much NFL left in him as Peyton does lol. If it helps them win a Super Bowl now, it's a good pick, but that BMW they just bought already came with 200k on the odometer.

U may be write,  

This is my last post for hrs so dont expect any response if quote me

In a video in article Elway saays was biting fingernails for 3 hrs as didnt think he would get down to us and  thrilled u made it to us

Evaluating the Pick: Montee Ball

Three of the nine second-round mock drafts that we profiled on DenverBroncos.com projected the team to select a running back with the 58th overall pick in the 2013 Draft.

But none pegged that back as Wisconsin's Montee Ballicon-article-link.gif, who Denver drafted on Friday evening.

Five of those mocks had Ball going in round two, and all five thought he'd be off the board by the time pick No. 58 hit the clock. The average slot Ball's selection in those mocks was 51.6.

The four other mock drafts had Ball falling out of the second round.

(((  Note I did see a few mocks that picked ball, many picked Bell as bell visited Broncos twice, but bell cant block though is a  great runner yes & low milage  ))d

Below is a summary of what some national press had to say about the selection of Ball:

Sports Illustrated's Don Banks:

Friday night picks I loved: Denver drafting Wisconsin running back Montee Ball late in the second round. He's going to help the Broncos move the chains, and the NCAA's Football Bowl Subdivision all-time leading touchdown scorer knows where the end zone is.

ESPN.com's Scouts Inc.

What he brings: Ball shouldered a heavy workload in college, and backs tend to tail off quickly when that is the case. Still, he is a tough runner who fights through contact and shows good vision between the tackles. Ball's top-end speed isn't elite, but he is quick enough to get around the corner and can make the first defender miss. He is also an underrated receiver who didn't get much chance in that area. He can catch the ball well and transition upfield quickly. 

How he fits: In the past couple years, this usually dependable Broncos run game hasn't been very productive. Because of inconsistent personnel and injuries,Peyton Manningicon-article-link.gif was forced to run an almost one-dimensional pass offense. Veterans Willis McGaheeicon-article-link.gif and Knowshon Morenoicon-article-link.gif are solid when healthy, but durability and age are question marks. Backup Ronnie Hillmanicon-article-link.gif doesn't have enough size to be an every-down back. Denver has really needed a back it can count on. Ball has a chance to be a physical, between-the tackles runner with a heavy workload, and that can lead to offensive balance, a much more effective play-action package and the ability to close out a game. This pick should please Manning.

NFL.com's Charles Davis

Pick Analysis: "Interesting, interesting, interesting. When you play with Peyton Manning, your first priority is pass protection. But he catches the ball better than people think." -- Charles Davis

USA Today's Nate Davis

Analysis: The Broncos struggled to close out the Ravens in their divisional playoff loss with Willis McGahee out and Knowshon Moreno hurt. Ball is durable and will find the end zone after scoring an NCAA career-record 83 TDs. One concern: He put a lot of miles on the odometer for the Badgers.

Sporting News

The Broncos were looking for a backfield upgrade, even with Willis McGahee and Knowshon Moreno on the depth chart. Ball finished runs well and scored a lot in Wisconsin, which is exactly what Denver will want from him at the end of long Peyton Manning-led drives.

FoxSports.com

The Broncos could use more help at running back and they got a good one in Ball. The Wisconsin product can rough tough between the tackles and has a nose for the end zone.

CBS Sports' Pete Prisco

Grade: C - I know Denver needs a back, but there were better options. Don't like it much.

http://www.denverbroncos.com/news-and-blogs/article-1/Evaluating-the-Pick-Montee-Ball/5d31355b-b88d-49d1-826f-527908f244bc

well i know why we didn't beat baltimore... but that would be derailing the thread and feeding the trolls... The thread was meant as a gratz to Denver thread so lets keep it that way.

Seems a few of you actually watched the game and actually observed when the momentum in Denvers favor had stopped. The blown pass coverage was the striking blow, but the mo' had shifted with the loss of the running game. Theres no doubt that Woodson is done and there were CBs on the board but they need a RB and Ball was lucky to be left. My guess is they have a plan to replace woodson in the long term.

Monte Ball is a good addition to any team IMO. So gratz.

edit: Oh look at that (above) a few sports writers seem to share my sentiment, which must mean something since their jobs are to analyze this sport. Thanks for that Bayone! 

Edited by BleedingBlue

edit: Oh look at that (above) a few sports writers seem to share my sentiment, which must mean something since their jobs are to analyze this sport. Thanks for that Bayone! 

Quick 1 , am at assisted living and mom on nebulizer so have time, takes  her a long time as on a few meds with it & using a workers computer  , they have 65 ' TV  & draft is on

Broncos just signed shaun Phillips too 1 year deal believe I heard right , t

Peoples comments on him before was picked , Packer fans wanted him badly and they know the wisconsin back well

Richard Hess · Manager/Computer Technician at Capitol City ComputerFixx

Packers trade their first round pick to move back into the 2nd round to get Montee Ball and pickup some extra picks for mid-round D-lineman and a Center and MAYBE a Guard. I don't see the Packers keeping their first round pick unless a major defensive playmaker is available.
Reply · 5 · 

· March 30 at 4:36pm

Matt Knoebel · Sussex, Wisconsin

He's staying in Wisconsin. He will be a Packer.
Reply · 6 ·   · February 15 at 1:52pm

Matthew Ganek · Lake in the Hills, Illinois

Ball is a first round talent but due to the NFL being all about "airing it out" he will fall to the 2nd round and maybe even the third which would be crazy because Ball is the best running in this class by far. Check out Ball's highlights he can do it all. He has speed, big power, sharp cuts, reads his blockers very well, knocks defenders on the ground stiff arms, solid blocker and a great receiver.
Reply · 4 · 

· February 28 at 2:51am

• John Smith ·  Top Commenter
    Sets and ties pretty ridiculous records while defenses that did almost nothing but stack the box to an absurd degree against him, and was dedicated enough to stay with his team and get his degree before entering the draft? 

NFL.com's analysis:"Played to long and isn't a speed type of running back, mediocre player!"

Hah..

Reply · 1 ·   · February 25 at 10:19am

• 275140_40601942_1166367837_q.jpg
    Jonathan Jerome Dorn ·  Top Commenter · Independent Contractor at Green Cab of Madison
    montee would be good for the Pack. Wi fans love this kid and we need RB depth.

GOOD EVAL OF BALL< COMMEBNTS AT THE BOTTOM of itr are over 40 coimments

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2013/profiles/montee-ball?id=2539341

Yea, you know the area Denver suffered with the loss of McGahee and Moreno in the playoff game. 

The very last reason Denver lost that game is because of the run game which makes this pick surprising just like the signing of Welker. Denver clearly needs defensive help

. Ball is a slow guy that will help blocking and pick up short yardage downs. Lacy would have made more sense.

They needed a RB, but Stephen Taylor would of been just fine later and works well in all 3 phases of game and considered a safest RB  bet in draft by NFL.com too so could have gone more D here if wanted to , 

BOTTOM LINE

The Cardinals running back proved this season that he was capable of maintaining his level of play even without Andrew Luck at QB. While he isn't exceptional in any one facet of the game, he is technically sound, and well rounded.

Taylor is possibly the safest back in this class due to his ability to not only pass protect, but to catch the football, which will make him invaluable on third downs.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2013/profiles/stepfan-taylor?id=2539315

Read Comments in # 23  analysts & 25 Packer fans wanted him ,butt shown by some of their comments

-------------------------

1st why not Lacy , which is also to me questionable but

apparently many GMs ( and Elway said thios after Ball was Picked too )  were afraid of Ed Lacy having recurent injuries said Mayock & broncos have 2 prone already,

Mayock also said were whispers that alabama was happy that he left, as they , the school thought he actually wasnt best back on rooster

Green bay admitted possibility and that's why hedged nets with Franklin, who i think was a steal and wise move .

He is also destined to be a star why

Last Year denver traded away the pick used on Doug Martin, year before the one used for Collin P , so a precedent is set , Next time they should just ask team who they would select and take that player

MORE ON BALL

Ball is better than u give credit for, set many records and last year all were keyed to stop him as he was the only offense after QB went to nfl, started slow as had a concussion after being gang assaulted on the streets, but ended year strong

Heres a few analysis Links & records & again read  analyst comments in comment 23 on the pick 

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2013/profiles/montee-ball?id=2539341

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1665003/montee-ball

Records

NCAA single season records

• Most touchdowns, season: 39 tied (2011)
  • Most consecutive games with two or more touchdowns: 13 (2011)
  • Most points scored by non-kicker: 236 (2011)

NCAA career records

• Most touchdowns: 83 (2009-2012)
  • Most Rushing Touchdowns: 77 (2009-2012)

Big Ten single season records

• Most touchdowns: 39 (2011)

Wisconsin single season records

• Most touchdowns: 39 (2011)
  • Most rushing touchdowns: 33 (2011)

Wisconsin career records

• Highest average yards per rush: 5.56
  •  

In a video in article Elway says was biting fingernails for 3 hrs as didnt think he would get down to us and thrilled u made it to us

this has the anaalyst commenbts I noted referenced to read as well

http://www.denverbroncos.com/news-and-blogs/article-1/Evaluating-the-Pick-Montee-Ball/5d31355b-b88d-49d1-826f-527908f244bc

well i know why we didn't beat baltimore... but that would be derailing the thread and feeding the trolls... The thread was meant as a gratz to Denver thread so lets keep it that way.

Seems a few of you actually watched the game and actually observed when the momentum in Denvers favor had stopped. The blown pass coverage was the striking blow, but the mo' had shifted with the loss of the running game. Theres no doubt that Woodson is done and there were CBs on the board but they need a RB and Ball was lucky to be left. My guess is they have a plan to replace woodson in the long term.

Ravens were not a team you were going to run on in the playoffs last year. They were too good up front. And you NEVER want to base your draft selections off on one game. Seems as if Denver did this all draft. I found a few of their selections odd.

Ravens were not a team you were going to run on in the playoffs last year. They were too good up front. And you NEVER want to base your draft selections off on one game. Seems as if Denver did this all draft. I found a few of their selections odd.

actually in a way I did too at times as if wanted supposedly BPA , seems they draft a need each time

just like last year if win now then why use second pick on a future QB , but I have said that often

I edioted my reply to u on ball a few times if u havent read it , its near top of my comment where edited

anyway good night , Closing down and resting now

actually in a way I did too at times as if wanted supposedly BPA , seems they draft a need each time

just like last year if win now then why use second pick on a future QB , but I have said that often

This whole draft was weird. Jets getting Geno. The Cowboys picks, the Giants trading up to get a QB.

This whole draft was weird. Jetns getting Geno. The Cowboys picks, the Giants trading up to get a QB.

Yeah, who would've thought Nassib would end up with the Giants. A lot of people expected him to be in NY, just not with the Giants lol. They might have a guy they can develop behind Eli and who can be a good back-up option over Painter.

I think this was a terrific draft pick by the Broncos. Peyton already has the most stacked receiving corps in the league and now has a legitimate bruising back to get those short yards and set a good block. Yes he has miles on him, but they needed a talented RB and now they got him. Congrats Denver, go get these next 2 SBs Elway style Peyton!

This whole draft was weird. Jets getting Geno. The Cowboys picks, the Giants trading up to get a QB.

Jets with Geno , Tebow, & Sancez  , Glad I am not a jet fan,. That had to be the most unexpected pick of all, who was more shocked Sancez or Geno, , 

Genos face seemed bewildered as much as happy

& Denver took a poor version of Big Ben for QB # 3, are they getting the guy to back up Brock once Peyton leaves

& also took QB # 4 as undrafted one named Ryan Katz -- 6'1" San Diego State  214 lb's

thats really being early and a waste of a late pick , but what do i know

I think Denver was definately better than Baltimore last year overall. The Ravens got hot in the playoffs, and benefitted by the horrible play by Moore at the end of the game. The two guys who blew the game for the Ravens in the AFCGG , Evans and Cundiff, were thankfully dismissed. It's going to be hard for Moore to overcome that kind of miscue , and get back the confidence of Denver fans. It's hard to win a Super Bowl, you just have to keep grinding and hope you get a few breaks, as well as being good.

It is not a bad pick just not an impact pick. When the best thing you can say about a RB is that he is durable and hangs on to the ball then tells you all you need to know. Fox is big on having a run game so I get the pick but honestly if I am a Bronco fan, I want defense all day.

To be fair, Montee is one of the most explosive runners in this class. His stiff arm will be one of the best in the league from day 1. He's got a lot of power in a small frame. He's also exceptionally shifty.  I think Ball fits Denver's offense better than Lacy. I think he ends up as the #2 and potentially starter considering McGahee's injury history. All depends how he blocks for Peyton. 

To be fair, Montee is one of the most explosive runners in this class. His stiff arm will be one of the best in the league from day 1. He's got a lot of power in a small frame. He's also exceptionally shifty.  I think Ball fits Denver's offense better than Lacy. I think he ends up as the #2 and potentially starter considering McGahee's injury history. All depends how he blocks for Peyton. 

Yeah, they don't need him to be a #1; not with their other backs. He will help for sure.