Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts Select Hugh Thornton With 3rd Pick

krunk

• Replies 361
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

??? But everyone is saying they are switching them? Thomas from RG with NE to LG for the Colts. Thornton from LG/LT with the Illini to RG for the Colts.

NE was a zone blocking scheme. Maybe Illinois was too(don't really know), but when zone blocking, it doesn't really matter.

Oh for Goodness sakes.....    you might be the most logically challeneged individual since...  (no wait a minute....  we have others)

He brought in Sidbury on a one year deal.   That's it.   A simple flier.   No downside and all upside.   And that alone in your view means we were not supposed to invest in a premium talent?!?

This gets more bizarre with each passing post.....

What happens if Sidbury is good or actually turns out to be a beast  then what cut Werner or some other player that cuts into our cap.  I would have like see what our FAs did before we said thanks move on .

People are good in the third... We got Hilton last year, heck, joe Montana was a third round pick. He will be a starter day one.

I agree that 3rd rounders can start, but are you willing to take the chance on our franchise QB.  We need that starting OG now not later.

I completely disagree that our first round pick shows Grigs not trusting himself. I think it just shows what Grigs' plan was all along, load up on run stuffers and pass rushers. We now have a mean looking D. Not to mention, Grigs and Pags have been very open about using Walden as an edge setter and cover guy. It was clear to the entire world that we needed another premier pass rusher and guess what? We got one. I think this highlights Grigs' ability to envision a plan quite a few steps before it unfolds and actually execute it. When they took Bjoern, it was literally an autopick. Not exactly what you would expect to see of a GM who is kicking himself. We now have an excellent D (on paper), and we just need a chance to prove it. Go grab Rambo for some safety depth and lets go take the league by storm.

What happens if Sidbury turns out to be a monster in our D?

oh my bad, I had no idea you knew more about this player than Grigson, Why aren't you working in an NFL FO?

Isn't funny I watched, played, and talked to pro coaches before Grigson mage the league.  Watch football with a College Defensive coach for 15 years.  Yes you are right, I know nothing about football.

well outside of Thornton who do you suggest

Would have been nice to get one before the later end of the 3rd.  draft after Thursday, I do not know if any one dropped, since I did not watch the draft after Thursday nite.  Was hoping we would be aggressive in the later rounds, not reaching.

There have been no camps yet... Sidbury could very well turn out to be a great player but for one you can still never have enough pass rushers, and two I believe they are looking at life beyond Mathis with Werner.

I hope Sidbury turn out to be a good player but at the #24 pick there was NO OL talent of value to warrant being picked there. Werner was the BPA in my opinion and an obvious need of the Colts.

There have been no camps yet... Sidbury could very well turn out to be a great player but for one you can still never have enough pass rushers, and two I believe they are looking at life beyond Mathis with Werner.

I hope Sidbury turn out to be a good player but at the #24 pick there was NO OL talent of value to warrant being picked there. Werner was the BPA in my opinion and an obvious need of the Colts.

I understand and agree with you, but we could have traded, got more picks, then got better value or leverage to move up if needed or wanted.

I understand and agree with you, but we could have traded, got more picks, then got better value or leverage to move up if needed or wanted.

Again, as I replied to you earlier, trading back guarantees you nothing but head count. We could have easily lost out on the players we could have targeted. Werner was obviously a guy they wanted that may not have lasted much longer. New England, who also needs pass rushers, could have jumped on him. You just don't know, and am glad they got such a talented player that late.

Then we struck gold again. I don't have any illusions about how many more years Mathis has in the tank. If Werner and Sidbury both turn out to be studs, then we have the luxury of utilizing Mathis effectively, while integrating the other two into the pass rushing rotation. Could be lethal.

Again, as I replied to you earlier, trading back guarantees you nothing but head count. We could have easily lost out on the players we could have targeted. Werner was obviously a guy they wanted that may not have lasted much longer. New England, who also needs pass rushers, could have jumped on him. You just don't know, and am glad they got such a talented player that late.

Yeah, in particular, Werner would seem like a very typical Patriot draft pick.

Isn't funny I watched, played, and talked to pro coaches before Grigson mage the league.  Watch football with a College Defensive coach for 15 years.  Yes you are right, I know nothing about football.

Well, apparently all that time spent didn't help seem to help your understanding of football very well.  :dunno:

And you're delusional if you think you know about football than Grigson... who I might say, gets paid pretty darn well for what he does.

This would be one of the reasons Grigson claims that he sticks by his board and drafts the best player available. To not draft a player that you have rated the highest with the 24th pick in the first round because you have signed a guy for 1 year at slightly above league minimum would be totally insane. This team has no pass rush and you say pass on Werner as you have just signed a buy with something like 4 career sacks in 4 years is nothing more than trolling. It's very obvious that you are here to just annoy people as what you are presenting to this board is ludicrous.

You also mention trading down. If Grigson thought be looking at his board , he would get the most value by trading down , then he does so. Evidently he felt not. 

Bottom line is there can be legitimate reasons to not agree with the Werner pick or other picks in this draft. You can also differ with the trade or lack of more trades. This is all well and good and makes for some interesting conversation. You on the other hand are just trying to annoy people and if I were a moderator , I would address your actions on this board. Anyone that is smart enough to turn a computer on would not be serious about the Sidbury - Werner issue you present.

I know Ballard said we were using more zone/gap principle blocking, but I'm starting to wonder just how much zone are we going to run because as it looks now with our additions: Castonzo, Donald Thomas, Khaled Holmes, Hugh Thorton(along with his former OL coach and now Colts OL coach in Joe Gilbert), and Gosder Cherlius. They all ran zone blocking schemes for most of their career. I am just curious I know pep used mostly power at Stanford but with these 4 additions to the OL and with Castonzo drafted into a zone scheme, I just think it will be more zone/gap scheme than most think with these additions, can't wait until Camp to find out

YouTube gm's.... lmao

If you dont like people with opinions and think just because Grigson (for example)is right about decisions or players they bring in just because they have the GM title then 1. you dont understand the point of the forum, 2.I dont understand your sheep mentalityand 3.No GM's anywhere would have been fired over lack of success with drafts which ultimately is a part of losing seasons but not all part  then I dont really know what to tell you. I have a opinions, I read extensively on football related material regarding a wide variety of topics all of which is done by former coaches or other people that have experienced the game first hand (such as techniques for different positions) and concepts of certain offensive and defensive strategies now if you want to tell me that I dont know whats going on behind the scenes then of course I dont

If you dont like people with opinions and think just because Grigson (for example)is right about decisions or players they bring in just because they have the GM title then 1. you dont understand the point of the forum, 2.I dont understand your sheep mentalityand 3.No GM's anywhere would have been fired over lack of success with drafts which ultimately is a part of losing seasons but not all part then I dont really know what to tell you. I have a opinions, I read extensively on football related material regarding a wide variety of topics all of which is done by former coaches or other people that have experienced the game first hand (such as techniques for different positions) and concepts of certain offensive and defensive strategies now if you want to tell me that I dont know whats going on behind the scenes then of course I dont

being critical of some players i can understand. i haven't seen a positive post about any of the free agents or drafted players brought in this year. you can't possibly believe you have better skills in building a team than,Grigson does

being critical of some players i can understand. i haven't seen a positive post about any of the free agents or drafted players brought in this year. you can't possibly believe you have better skills in building a team than,Grigson does

Of course I dont have better skills then he does, he sees the behind the scenes aspect of players and such, there is plenty to like about our draft picks (Im not familiar with the undrafted players we brought in.

Khaled is very mobile for 1, he is quick to recognize stunts and blitzes, has the ability to adjust when getting to the 2nd level and hit players moving around him.

Thornton-good speed to when block down field, violent run blocker 

Boyett- shows good instincts, has good hands on interception attempts, heavy hitter 

Williams-blazing speed, good hands, good vision 

Charley Casserly at NFL.com wrote an article about the best value picks in the Draft. The sixth best value pick he listed was Hugh Thornton. He only picked 2 from the 3rd round and had this to say about Thornton ...

"I like Thornton's strength and power as a blocker. He played left tackle last season at Illinois, but his best pro position is offensive guard. I love his quick set in pass protection. He has a strong punch and can anchor well as a pass blocker. In time, he could be the Colts' best offensive lineman."

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000165049/article/tank-carradine-marcus-lattimore-among-2013-nfl-draft-steals