Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Grigson Speaks

HtownColt

What I heard was Grigson say they are going to let the draft play out.  If there is a player there that they like at 24 they will take him.  If not or they have more than one they like they will explore trading back.  I think 99.9% of this could have figured this out.  To me Grigson didn't really say anything note worthy today which is what you expect in the pre-draft presser.  Grigson isn't going to come out and tell the world their plan going into the draft. 

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Have you read this?

http://espn.go.com/blog/afcsouth/post/_/id/49134/grigson-avoids-misinformation-game

I suppose this could be the biggest smokescreen ever, but I get the feeling Grigson can be taken at his word. He didn't say he's going to trade down. He just said he's open to it.

I'd like to know how the issue came up. It seems that Grigson was asked specifically whether he'd be open to trading back, and he said he would under certain circumstances. I don't think he painted himself into a box. I think he kept his options open.

The real question is, did you read it? lol

Wow. I don't know how this can be more obvious.

Thanks,  I will.

Along with the fact that logic and comprehension are not your strong suits and that your incredibly dismissive of anyone who thinks different than you.

That's what I'll keep telling myself....        :facepalm:

Just be ready to come back after we don't trade down to say you knew it all along. :facepalm:

Just be ready to come back after we don't trade down to say you knew it all along. :facepalm:

I won't say I knew it all along.    I'm not stating as fact that we will trade down.    I'm saying I believe it's more likely than not that we will,  but that Grigson will stay at 24 if a player he loves falls to him....   and this is not the first time I've said that....

Here's what I wrote about an hour ago here in this thread to Superman....    I'm cutting and pasting it....   and, it's not the first time I've said this.....   only the latest...    but here it is...

I'm with you.    I've been banging the drum long and loud for a trade back.   But I've also said Grigson will stay at 24 if someone he loves somehow manages to slip down the board to the Colts.    He'll stay and use that pick. 

But I believe the chances are greater that that won't happen and he'll want to trade back.    I believe this draft is made for a GM like Grigson who loves to find talent.   And I don't believe he'll want the draft to end with the Colts only having three new players from the first five rounds of this draft.    I can't see that happening.    Seems very un-Grigson like to me.

Hope this clarifies my view.....   I'm not looking for a fight here.....

I agree. Which is why I think we would trade up before we trade down. If his players start disappearing off the board then I can see him get aggressive and move up about 5 spots or so.

Initially, I flat out wanted to disagree with you, but your point is growing on me. The one place I disagree is if the players Grigs might want at 24 are gone, and the next guy he covets looks like a late 2nd / early 3rd player... I don't see him as a crazy reach kind of guy. I think in that kind of situation, he trades back, gets the player he wants and gets an extra pick to boot.

Initially, I flat out wanted to disagree with you, but your point is growing on me. The one place I disagree is if the players Grigs might want at 24 are gone, and the next guy he covets looks like a late 2nd / early 3rd player... I don't see him as a crazy reach kind of guy. I think in that kind of situation, he trades back, gets the player he wants and gets an extra pick to boot.

First off, I love your Motto about slicing and hooking. I can attest that my golf game is not much better. I am always happy to shoot an average bogey. lol

We can agree and disagree on our opinions. I gave mine and that is all it is. I have no problem being the minority of the discussion. I don't follow the crowd unless I believe it is right. I think some people are still stuck in the way we did things with Polian for so long. To me there are obvious differences in the way Grigson and Polian work the draft. I see Grigson as more aggressive.

There is a difference between Bill Polian GMs of the NFL and Grigson GMs. I think fans do not understand that yet, but if I am correct then we will all see soon enough just how differently they approach the draft. Grigson is going to be aggressive. Just my two cents.

Well if that's the case he needs to get aggressive and go after Warmack! Maybe we'll get "Luck"y and take a "Chance". Sorry for the corny puns, couldn't help myself.

I just want to stop you right there. If Grigson believes that Woods is the right pick for us then he will take him at #24. GMs rarely take chances like you are talking about unless there are several players left on the board that they want. Woods is a possible, and we could even go as far to say, likely 1st round pick. He is one of the guys I believe is on our radar at #24. If he is a guy that Grigson wants, and he is there then why gamble it away? He wouldn't. He would just make the pick.

You said you have been watching the draft for 30 years. If that is the case I have no idea how you can swing and miss in this thread as many times as you have.

In Superman's example, if Woods is the guy Grigson covets but is rated 40th on his board, he will positivly NOT take him at 24. With absolute certainty he would not reach. You know what he would do - trade back. Kind like he said he would be willing to do.

:lol:.....I'm gonna miss all this pre-draft stuff after the real thing happens and we ALL get our share of egg on our faces.

Only one more week of......

cat_chasing_its_own_tail-9845-12357.gif

I just take it all as Grigson doing his job, his way....whether he "smokescreens", or smokescreens his smokescreens....who the heck knows.

Just make the team better Ryan.

Just watched the 30 minutes Grigson pre-draft press conference....

Honestly,  he made a very, very compelling case for staying at 24 and making the pick.

In a nutshell, he basically said he's looked at the history of the 24th pick and there have been some very, very good players taken there....  he has his board and he thinks a very good player will fall to them at 24.

Here's the link to the video:

http://www.colts.com/media-center/videos/Ryan-Grigson-Pre-Draft-Press-Conference/3639cecb-428e-4df2-aabd-7f5d5ca3c094

At roughly the 20 minute mark he talks about the importance of the face-to-face meetings for the 30 players teams are allowed to bring in....    and, at the 22 minute mark he talks about his willingness to bring in players with a checkered history....   he says he's very willing to take in guys with baggage...  but then added,  at the right spot in the draft....   but he believes in 2nd chances and doesn't want to be too judgmental in the process.    He was asked about PED's and Marijuana, and said those are serious issues to both society in general and to the NFL....   but he deliberately did not say he would not bring in someone because of that...

All in all,  some very good stuff...   if you're going to be sitting at a desk taking care of some business and want something to listen to for 30 minutes....    this is it....

So lets say Grigson moves back 6 spots and then makes a pick. I am sure the player he takes is going to feel welcomed after Grigson said he is not taking a player at #24 unless he can feel proud of it. Yeah, new player, we didn't like you at #24 but you grew on us at #30. LOL

Not the way to start a good relationship. If you don't think players are paying attention to things like this then you haven't been paying attention the past 30 drafts. I have.

bwahahahaha

How would you know the player will be there? You don't, so you either trade up if your players are dropping off the board or you take a player you want and feel good about at #24.

By your logic then... how would a team ever trade up? To trade up, a team has to trade down with you.

By your logic then... how would a team ever trade up? To trade up, a team has to trade down with you.

I guess I didn't make myself clear in the first 40 posts about this. :) It is ok, because I would not want to read this whole thread either.

Other teams are not making the statement that, unless a player is there who we can bang the table on, and feel good about, then we are trading down. A statement like that while it may be true is not a good one to make, because if you move back 5-6 spots and make a pick then what does that say about the player you pick. My point is that I don't think Grigson would make a statement like that and then actually trade back. I don't believe he has any intentions of trading back in this draft.

Just watched the 30 minutes Grigson pre-draft press conference....

Honestly,  he made a very, very compelling case for staying at 24 and making the pick.

In a nutshell, he basically said he's looked at the history of the 24th pick and there have been some very, very good players taken there....  he has his board and he thinks a very good player will fall to them at 24.

Here's the link to the video:

http://www.colts.com/media-center/videos/Ryan-Grigson-Pre-Draft-Press-Conference/3639cecb-428e-4df2-aabd-7f5d5ca3c094

At roughly the 20 minute mark he talks about the importance of the face-to-face meetings for the 30 players teams are allowed to bring in....    and, at the 22 minute mark he talks about his willingness to bring in players with a checkered history....   he says he's very willing to take in guys with baggage...  but then added,  at the right spot in the draft....   but he believes in 2nd chances and doesn't want to be too judgmental in the process.    He was asked about PED's and Marijuana, and said those are serious issues to both society in general and to the NFL....   but he deliberately did not say he would not bring in someone because of that...

All in all,  some very good stuff...   if you're going to be sitting at a desk taking care of some business and want something to listen to for 30 minutes....    this is it....

+10

It is very nice to see that someone else has picked up on the logical conclusion after watching the press conference. I found it very telling as to what our intentions are. Maybe working in the field I do, it causes me to look for things like this more than others. I don't know, but I believe that Grigson is dead set on staying at #24, and if anything we will move up, if needed.

They do not make statements like that and then trade back. He has painted himself into a box. He didn't have to say anything about trading back, but he did. Why would he tip his real hand? He wouldn't. Its a week until the draft so don't believe anything you hear or read.

Why wouldn't he announce he's willing to trade back? Now he's officially let other teams know that if they have a player on their board they want then the colts are willing to trade back. 

Some of your other views have me stumped as well. 

For example: You  asked (in summary)how does a player get better at 30 versus 24? It's not the player that gets better. It's the value of the pick that gets better. You not only get a player that you wanted, you also got additional picks to get more players you wanted. 

And the idea that a player would get his feelings hurt if a team picked him at 40 because they traded back from 24 is a concern for a GM had me laughing until tears streamed down my face. You don't hear 4th round picks whining and asking why the team that drafted him didn't use their 2nd round pick on him if they know that they like him. These players are happy to get drafted. PERIOD. 

As you've said, everyone is entitled to their own opinions and views. Grigson has been pretty open and up front about his plans and goals so in my opinion his statement reads pretty clear: If there's not a player at 24 that he feels can come in and make an immediate impact, then he's going to try to trade down for more value. 

You said you have been watching the draft for 30 years. If that is the case I have no idea how you can swing and miss in this thread as many times as you have.

In Superman's example, if Woods is the guy Grigson covets but is rated 40th on his board, he will positivly NOT take him at 24. With absolute certainty he would not reach. You know what he would do - trade back. Kind like he said he would be willing to do.

Well I rarely swing and miss. Be sure to tell me that you told me so after we don't trade back. You and I have had our arguments before when I was the minority opinion and I ended up correct, so this is nothing new for me. Remember the guy who said the Polian and Caldwell would be fired if we only won a few games after Peyton got hurt. That was me. The board piled it on to me then too, but it did not change the fact that I was right. We are not moving back. Read Grigsons body language vs his words and it is easy to see that we are locked in on a few players in the first round, and we will walk out of this draft with one of them.

I guess I didn't make myself clear in the first 40 posts about this. :) It is ok, because I would not want to read this whole thread either.

Other teams are not making the statement that, unless a player is there who we can bang the table on, and feel good about, then we are trading down. A statement like that while it may be true is not a good one to make, because if you move back 5-6 spots and make a pick then what does that say about the player you pick. My point is that I don't think Grigson would make a statement like that and then actually trade back. I don't believe he has any intentions of trading back in this draft.

Fair enough, but I think you underestimate the sheer magnitude of scouting and preparation that goes on pre-draft. If they do not see a player of value at #24, it is not because they do not rate the player highly, it is because of projection. And if they are moving back, and know the player they want, they will have their homework done on team needs of the team that would be drafting ahead of them when they move back, and they could probably make a very educated guess that said player will still be on the board.

Being aggressive in the draft does not necesarily translate to moving up, you can be just as aggressive in moving back and getting as many picks as possible to maximize the success of you draft.

And as for upsetting players by moving back to pick them... this is professional sports, feelings take a back seat. Most players end up disappointed by what spot they go in the draft.

Why wouldn't he announce he's willing to trade back? Now he's officially let other teams know that if they have a player on their board they want then the colts are willing to trade back. 

Some of your other views have me stumped as well. 

For example: You  asked (in summary)how does a player get better at 30 versus 24? It's not the player that gets better. It's the value of the pick that gets better. You not only get a player that you wanted, you also got additional picks to get more players you wanted. 

And the idea that a player would get his feelings hurt if a team picked him at 40 because they traded back from 24 is a concern for a GM had me laughing until tears streamed down my face. You don't hear 4th round picks whining and asking why the team that drafted him didn't use their 2nd round pick on him if they know that they like him. These players are happy to get drafted. PERIOD. 

As you've said, everyone is entitled to their own opinions and views. Grigson has been pretty open and up front about his plans and goals so in my opinion his statement reads pretty clear: If there's not a player at 24 that he feels can come in and make an immediate impact, then he's going to try to trade down for more value. 

I agree.  Did not the Rams do the same thing last year?

Well I rarely swing and miss. Be sure to tell me that you told me so after we don't trade back. You and I have had our arguments before when I was the minority opinion and I ended up correct, so this is nothing new for me. Remember the guy who said the Polian and Caldwell would be fired if we only won a few games after Peyton got hurt. That was me. The board piled it on to me then too, but it did not change the fact that I was right. We are not moving back. Read Grigsons body language vs his words and it is easy to see that we are locked in on a few players in the first round, and we will walk out of this draft with one of them.

can you give examples where you were right and the majority were wrong.

all gms use that logic. otherwise, why would anyone trade back... if they can get the guy they want plus extra picks, then it is the smartest thing to do

There really isnt a reason to argue fellas. There is no real way to know what we will do at #24 because we will never know half of the equation - what is being offered for us to move. We will be able to see who's available - but thats it.

Thats what makes this draft so interesting. I think you guys are arguing a minor point that is preventing you from agreeing on the bigger picture.

We all agree Grigson is going to try to do the best move for the team at #24 right? So why are you agruing with each other about your OPINION of what another man's actions will be?

I can say it simpler - If you believe he knows what he's doing - why argue about what he's going to do.

Teams trade up in the 1st round to get the franchise QB or the super elite CB...that sort of thing.  It's been said numerous times by virtually all draft "experts" that there's not that many "clean" players in this draft.  So, I don't think we'll be moving up in the 1st.  I think we stay put, however that doesn't mean we won't move around in the other rounds.  In fact, I think we will.

+10

It is very nice to see that someone else has picked up on the logical conclusion after watching the press conference. I found it very telling as to what our intentions are. Maybe working in the field I do, it causes me to look for things like this more than others. I don't know, but I believe that Grigson is dead set on staying at #24, and if anything we will move up, if needed.

Well...

I don't think I'd go so far as to call it a conclusion.....     I'd say he made the case for staying.    But, he also took the time to make the case for trading back.    So,  I think both remain options.

I may not be as confident of the Colts trading back as I was before viewing the tape,  but I'd say I think we'd like to trade back.  The question becomes, can we find a trading partner?     I hope so, but I don't know....

Just my view of things....

I just listened to the presser. It's pretty much what I thought it was. Grigson is asked if he's willing to trade down, and then he responds with the quote in the OP. It's very reasonable, he's not committing himself to anything. He's open to several different options.

I'm not saying Grigson is or isn't going to do anything at #24. I just don't get the feeling that he's ruled anything out.

I just listened to the presser. It's pretty much what I thought it was. Grigson is asked if he's willing to trade down, and then he responds with the quote in the OP. It's very reasonable, he's not committing himself to anything. He's open to several different options.

I'm not saying Grigson is or isn't going to do anything at #24. I just don't get the feeling that he's ruled anything out.

Which is precisely correct.  Despite the best attempts by BlueShoe to suggest otherwise, he has not painted himself into any corner.  There will be no emotional baggage to deal with in the player they take if they do end up trading back.  All Grigson has done is tell us that all options are on the table.

Which is precisely correct.  Despite the best attempts by BlueShoe to suggest otherwise, he has not painted himself into any corner.  There will be no emotional baggage to deal with in the player they take if they do end up trading back.  All Grigson has done is tell us that all options are on the table.

Yeah, there's just no decoding a GM who says basically he's open to whatever options are on the table. By the time #24 comes around, close to four hours will have gone by. Anything could have happened by then. And that's still a week away.

Taking Grigson at his word doesn't mean being convinced we're going to trade down. It really means you have no idea what's going to happen next Thursday. And I've said that all along.

This one caught my attention:

He also praised the coaches, in particular Greg Manusky, for doing such a good job playing smaller under-tackles at the 5 technique last year. Grgison said the coaches "got it done with grit and determination."

Is he referring to Rico Mathews and Drake Nevis around 310 lbs as small under tackles at the 3-4 DE which is a 5-technique position? Or someone else?

He does say this is a good trench draft.

Another honest answer I liked was  (taken from here):

Another great quote from Grigson was an answer to a question regarding drafting "the best player available" over a need position:

You know, I would never want to ever say that because, really and truthfully, if you have a player at a spot at a position group you feel really strong about here [gestures with his hand], and then you have the guy that's really at a spot that's just right here [gestures with other head, suggesting the player is slightly below the other one], you're going to go with the need. But, if there's a stud that just staring at you, just staring holes through you from your board, and he's at a spot where you felt strongly going forward through the draft process, and that guy can substantially make you better, you have to at least have that discussion.

This one caught my attention:

He also praised the coaches, in particular Greg Manusky, for doing such a good job playing smaller under-tackles at the 5 technique last year. Grgison said the coaches "got it done with grit and determination."

Is he referring to Rico Mathews and Drake Nevis around 310 lbs as small under tackles at the 3-4 DE which is a 5-technique position? Or someone else?

I thought Grigson was talking about the players, not the coaches, when he said they got it done with grit and determination. And I assumed he was talking about Nevis and Moala. I don't think they're necessarily undersized as five techs, and in Moala's case, I think he's better suited at five tech. But it was a new assignment for both of them.

And the point was that they are now looking for players with the body type that better suits the positions they'll be playing in more of a three down front, which neither Nevis no Moala were drafted for.

You know, I would never want to ever say that because, really and truthfully, if you have a player at a spot at a position group you feel really strong about here [gestures with his hand], and then you have the guy that's really at a spot that's just right here [gestures with other head, suggesting the player is slightly below the other one], you're going to go with the need. But, if there's a stud that just staring at you, just staring holes through you from your board, and he's at a spot where you felt strongly going forward through the draft process, and that guy can substantially make you better, you have to at least have that discussion.

That was noteworthy as well, and I like the way he framed his answer.