Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Grigson Speaks

HtownColt

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

We must be fluent in different languages. You believe we would drop form #24 to a third round pick? C'mon man!

OK - I'll go slow.  Using your logic, any player not worthy of a 1st rd. selection, isn't worthy of being selected later in the draft either.  Are we speaking the same language now?

So you think Grigson is okay at risking a "meh" pick at #24, and the risk could be getting a "blah" pick at #30? For what? A fourth round pick.

There's not really much of a difference between 24 and 40 in this years draft. It's one of the deepest classes ever. If he feels that he can get a player he wants in a trade back than yeah I think he'll risk it.

Gabbert sucked in college He only got picked because of measurables.

He was better than Ponder. Threw for over 3,000 yards twice and had only nine less TDs and 18 INTs over the course of 31 games. Sounds alright to me, but I do agree that his prototypical size and photographic memory also accounted for his draft status.

There's not really much of a difference between 24 and 40 in this years draft. It's one of the deepest classes ever. If he feels that he can get a player he wants in a trade back than yeah I think he'll risk it.

You must not have read what he said.

He can't move back and draft a player now. Not after that statement. He took away his ability to move back in this draft and still hold a press conference saying that he got the guy he wanted. We are staying at #24 or we are moving up. It is very simple when you think about it.

Why? Lol Gabbert has always been terrible

Nah, he just never adapted to the speed of the NFL. The jury is still out on him in Jacksonville though, and he's gonna have Barkley breathing down his neck if the Jaguars take him in the second. Make no mistake, though, I am not making excuses for him and I think that he is not exactly a franchise QB, but he could be salavageable and at least be serviceable on a horrible team.

OK - I'll go slow.  Using your logic, any player not worthy of a 1st rd. selection, isn't worthy of being selected later in the draft either.  Are we speaking the same language now?

Comprehension is not your best trait, so try reading what Grigson actually said slower and then get back to me. I don't have the time to break out the crayons with you right now.

He can't move back and draft a player now. Not after that statement. He took away his ability to move back in this draft and still hold a press conference saying that he got the guy he wanted. We are staying at #24 or we are moving up. It is very simple when you think about it.

You're assuming that he has his eyes on one player though. If he really wants that player at 24 then he'll take him. If he trades back with that player still on the boards than he must have not though much about him.

Nah, he just never adapted to the speed of the NFL. The jury is still out on him in Jacksonville though, and he's gonna have Barkley breathing down his neck if the Jaguars take him in the second. Make no mistake, though, I am not making excuses for him and I think that he is not exactly a franchise QB, but he could be salavageable and at least be serviceable on a horrible team.

They said Geno was going to JAX

Comprehension is not your best trait, so try reading what Grigson actually said slower and then get back to me. I don't have the time to break out the crayons with you right now.

Since I have no idea what is on the other end of your computer, I'll sit the rest of this one out.

You're assuming that he has his eyes on one player though. If he really wants that player at 24 then he'll take him. If he trades back with that player still on the boards than he must have not though much about him.

How do you come up with that? I am not assuming he has his eyes on one particular player. I am sure there are 3, 4, 5, or more that he likes and believes will be there. He basically just told us that he is not trading back and few are even listening to him. Think about what he said, instead of hearing what you want to.

They said Geno was going to JAX

Oh yeah, I could see that happening too, in which case Gabbert will have even more to worry about. Even if he wins the starting job, based on past rookies' accomplishments the remnants of the fanbase will be calling for Smith to play after the first pick six.

Oh yeah, I could see that happening too, in which case Gabbert will have even more to worry about. Even if he wins the starting job, based on past rookies' accomplishments the remnants of the fanbase will be calling for Smith to play after the first pick six.

Like Jets fans chanting for Tebow lmao

I could see it now.....

*Fans chant* Geennnooooo whooooaaaaaa

lmao

I understand this line of thinking, but he can still move back in the draft, say he got guys that can help the team then just throw in the word value somewhere in the press conference and be fine...

How do you come up with that? I am not assuming he has his eyes on one particular player. I am sure there are 3, 4, 5, or more that he likes and believes will be there. He basically just told us that he is not trading back and few are even listening to him. Think about what he said, instead of hearing what you want to.

(this isn't the post i disagree with, but it was the latest one, so i quoted it)

I'm 100% with Dustin and TK here.  If Grigson has a player in mind that he really WANTS, but isn't a great value at #24, I could easily see him trading down to (since this has been thrown around) 30 to get said player.  We'd swap picks with the Falcons, and also gain at LEAST a 3rd rounder in the process, making the value of taking said player much better for us.

GM's pretty much know what the other teams needs and boards are, and trading down just 6 spaces wouldn't be a very large risk at all.  Of course, there's ALWAYS a risk, but... I really wouldn't be surprised to see us trade down as far as the top 15 of the 2nd to try and capitalize on the mid-round talent of this draft.

Trading up would be an absolute shock to me...

How would you know the player will be there? You don't, so you either trade up if your players are dropping off the board or you take a player you want and feel good about at #24.

That's part of the draft. Everyone is clamoring for Xavier Rhodes, but there is no guarantee that he will be there. We like to assume that we have a general idea of who will fall where. What I'm saying is that if a player that we want has a second round grade, would it really make sense for us to grab him in the first, even though we don't have a second? No! I'd rather have two project players because we traded out than have a player that we took just because we were scared to lose him

(this isn't the post i disagree with, but it was the latest one, so i quoted it)

I'm 100% with Dustin and TK here.  If Grigson has a player in mind that he really WANTS, but isn't a great value at #24, I could easily see him trading down to (since this has been thrown around) 30 to get said player.  We'd swap picks with the Falcons, and also gain at LEAST a 3rd rounder in the process, making the value of taking said player much better for us.

GM's pretty much know what the other teams needs and boards are, and trading down just 6 spaces wouldn't be a very large risk at all.  Of course, there's ALWAYS a risk, but... I really wouldn't be surprised to see us trade down as far as the top 15 of the 2nd to try and capitalize on the mid-round talent of this draft.

Trading up would be an absolute shock to me...

I have to disagree with just about everything you said. ;)

We would not receive a 3rd round pick to move form 24 to 30. More like a 4th. It is just not worth the risk of losing a player we covet. I don't know who all of the players are that we have on our board. Only the Colts draft room does. I would be shocked if we trade down.

“We’re going to probably look to trading out if there’s a player there that we feel is just OK. We want players at that spot, especially in the first round, that are going to substantially help us get to our goal.”

To me, I hear a willingness to trade all the way out of the first if nobody trips their trigger.

One week to go, can't get here fast enough.

I understand this line of thinking, but he can still move back in the draft, say he got guys that can help the team then just throw in the word value somewhere in the press conference and be fine...

Buck,

I don't see Grigson and company as the type who settles for anyone. They are very aggressive in getting who they want, and have proven that. Nothing about this regimes personality is about trading back and settling. They are attackers and will move up before trading down. Just my two cents.

That's part of the draft. Everyone is clamoring for Xavier Rhodes, but there is no guarantee that he will be there. We like to assume that we have a general idea of who will fall where. What I'm saying is that if a player that we want has a second round grade, would it really make sense for us to grab him in the first, even though we don't have a second? No! I'd rather have two project players because we traded out than have a player that we took just because we were scared to lose him

We don't even know if Rhodes is on our boards, or if CB is as important to the Colts draft team as people on this board believe it is. It is all just speculation form fans. I have watched drafts for 30 years, and teams do not trade back and take chances on players they want. When it is in the line of sight, they pull the trigger. Grigsons team has shown us aggression and I do not expect for that to change now. I believe we will move up before we move down, but my guess is that we are staying put at #24.

And you believe he will be ok with "meh" at 30? Reading between the lines is not that hard. Grigson has his guys on the board and he will get one of them. He is not moving back to do it either, because it makes no sense to take a chance. If he feels his players are going to quickly then he might move up and secure the pick.

teams do it every single year. if there isn't s player that he feels is a first round talent, then he will look to trade out of that pick. we have very few picks. i could see him trading out of the first

Buck,

I don't see Grigson and company as the type who settles for anyone. They are very aggressive in getting who they want, and have proven that. Nothing about this regimes personality is about trading back and settling. They are attackers and will move up before trading down. Just my two cents.

You may be right, I get that...

Wouldn't say trading back as settling though, would look at trading back as an aggressive move to add multiple players that the team is high on...

as I said earlier I will be surprised if Grigson trades up in the draft, but I am always surprised on draft day so really I won't be surprised...

You may be right, I get that...

Wouldn't say trading back as settling though, would look at trading back as an aggressive move to add multiple players that the team is high on...

as I said earlier I will be surprised if Grigson trades up in the draft, but I am always surprised on draft day so really I won't be surprised...

We have to remember that Grigson comes from a draft team in Philly that was always very aggressive in trading up in the first round, when a player they wanted was in sight. Last year we had the first pick so we didn't see it. His comments have me believing he will be very aggressive.

he said we would be willing to trade back. you are the one not comprehending.

or on the flip side if Grigson drafts someone at 24 apparently there were some high fives & fist bumps going on in the draft room

YES.....

Likely that....   the only other possibility is that the offers to trade back weren't right.    Meaning,  too far back for Grigson's liking or not enough of the right draft picks....     something like that....

But I think the leading choice would be, if we stay at 24 and use the pick,  it's someone that Grigson and his staff really like....

teams do it every single year. if there isn't s player that he feels is a first round talent, then he will look to trade out of that pick. we have very few picks. i could see him trading out of the first

There is a difference between Bill Polian GMs of the NFL and Grigson GMs. I think fans do not understand that yet, but if I am correct then we will all see soon enough just how differently they approach the draft. Grigson is going to be aggressive. Just my two cents.

We have to remember that Grigson comes from a draft team in Philly that was always very aggressive in trading up in the first round, when a player they wanted was in sight. Last year we had the first pick so we didn't see it. His comments have me believing he will be very aggressive.

You may be right...

He may have learned a thing or two from some of Phillies mistakes too...

YES.....

Likely that....   the only other possibility is that the offers to trade back weren't right.    Meaning,  too far back for Grigson's liking or not enough of the right draft picks....     something like that....

But I think the leading choice would be, if we stay at 24 and use the pick,  it's someone that Grigson and his staff really like....

HA, just thought it was funny Grigson talking about high fives & fist bumps... Almost like High Fives mean we really really like the guy, fist bumps means we only really like the guy...

YES.....

I agree. Which is why I think we would trade up before we trade down. If his players start disappearing off the board then I can see him get aggressive and move up about 5 spots or so.

We don't have the ammunition to trade up....   just a 1/3/4 in the first 5 rounds....

So,  if we offer a 1 and a 3 to trade up then we'll have no other picks until the late 4th round.   

I will be beyond shocked if that happens.    This is a draft that is tailor made for Grigson.    I don't see the draft ending with the Colts standing pat and simply using their picks at 1/3/4.     Just 3 players in 5 rounds?    Not for Ryan Grigson.   Not in this draft. I just don't see it.

I think this draft is perfect for him.....    perfect.

Because I am not agreeing with you, now I am misreading it? sorry but it doesn't work that way.

We disagree and that is that. My "reading" stands firm - We have no intentions of trading back.

This is strange to me.

Grigson's words: We’re going to probably look to trading out if there’s a player there that we feel is just OK.

How do you translate that to "no intentions of trading back"?

He didn't say he intends to trade back, but he did say he's willing to if he doesn't like the value at #24. You have to take into consideration the ratings for the players still on his board, and the potential that he can still get players he does like plus an additional pick by trading back.

It's even stranger that you can take "we're going to probably look to trading out" and turn it into us looking to move up in the draft. It's like it's Opposites Day. Grigson is being pretty clear about what he wants at #24.