Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Do You Expect any Day 1 Starters from the Draft?

Smonroe

The only one I can see is if we draft a guard in the first round. I can't see any rookie starting other than on the O line. If we draft a DE/DT he may rotate in, but I bet he won't start.

Now, as the season goes on it's possible that rookies may win starting spots.

Thoughts?

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I would say we only need ONE full time starter..... RG

The $64,000 question is, where do we draft to get this person?

The other picks can be for depth and future starters, (possibly even this year)

But we HAVE to fix this hole..........at RG

I would say we only need ONE full time starter..... RG

The $64,000 question is, where do we draft to get this person?

The other picks can be for depth and future starters, (possibly even this year)

But we HAVE to fix this hole..........at RG

I agree. I think that's the only spot where a rookie could start. That's not to say a rookie isn't going to be better than the starter at other spots, just that they'll need to get experience.

I think if we get a G in the first round, his superior talent over our current G's will be enough to overcome his inexperience.

I can't see that at any other position, but I could be wrong.

If we draft a CB who's better than Butler & Toler or just Butler and can play the Nickel than yeah.

Only position I see starting are G, CB, or OLB. I doubt WR cause with TY, Reggie, & DHB. I think our 1st 3 WR's are set

Nickelback is not a starting position.

Guard is likely to be a starter, and an OLB rotation is almost guaranteed but unless it's a first round pickup I don't see a draftee starting here, but whether they start or not is pretty irrelevant in a Ravens-like rotation.

I would add potentially MLB and RB if they were drafted and impressed in pre-season.

Other than that I think it would be very difficult for a rookie to break into the team as a starter right away, which is a good thing.

Nickelback is not a starting position.

Guard is likely to be a starter, and an OLB rotation is almost guaranteed but unless it's a first round pickup I don't see a draftee starting here, but whether they start or not is pretty irrelevant in a Ravens-like rotation.

I would add potentially MLB and RB if they were drafted and impressed in pre-season.

Other than that I think it would be very difficult for a rookie to break into the team as a starter right away, which is a good thing.

Well, in today's pass happy league a nickel CB kinda does start. It's usually 3 WR's on the field so might as well say he starts

I say we just bring in every CB that goes undrafted. They all have to be better than Vaughn. Just do whatever it takes to get Vaughn released from this team!!!!

Your hatred for Vaughn is a little disturbing and borderline obsessive. Vaughn has his problems but he has some talent and made some plays last yr.. He's never going to see the field except for dime package's or because of injury anyway. He isn't that bad of an option to have as a 4th or 5th CB. Would I like somebody different? Sure, but I realize that all of our backups can not be starting material. It's just the way it works.

Your hatred for Vaughn is a little disturbing and borderline obsessive. Vaughn has his problems but he has some talent and made some plays last yr.. He's never going to see the field except for dime package's or because of injury anyway. He isn't that bad of an option to have as a 4th or 5th CB. Would I like somebody different? Sure, but I realize that all of our backups can not be starting material. It's just the way it works.

I wouldn't say obsessive lol. Just when I see something wrong, I want it fixed. But if he improves this year, I'll leave it alone. But if he plays like last year, it's time to give him the boot. Well in our case, give him the shoe :D

I wouldn't say obsessive lol. Just when I see something wrong, I want it fixed. But if he improves this year, I'll leave it alone. But if he plays like last year, it's time to give him the boot. Well in our case, give him the shoe :D

I agree, If he shows no improvement then he needs to go and more than likely will, but I do think he showed some flashes last yr. and I can see some talent there. The question is, can he figure it out and play half decent all the time. I don't even care about him becoming a big playmaker for us, he just needs to show steady improvement and he's worth keeping IMO.

Well, in today's pass happy league a nickel CB kinda does start. It's usually 3 WR's on the field so might as well say he starts

It's down to semantics I guess. Starting players no do necessarily see the most snaps, we still talk about base formations as starters but of course there are many different looks we go with. I would say that the fact that he is the third in a depth chart at his position would mean he isn't a starter, even is he sees a lot of snaps.

I agree, If he shows no improvement then he needs to go and more than likely will, but I do think he showed some flashes last yr. and I can see some talent there. The question is, can he figure it out and play half decent all the time. I don't even care about him becoming a big playmaker for us, he just needs to show steady improvement and he's worth keeping IMO.

I wouldn't mind him if he played well but let up a few plays. Not asking him to be a shutdown CB. But when the opposing QB comes to the line literally looking for who Vaughn is covering so he can throw it to him, that's a problem. Like in the JAX game on TNF, Butler looked like a shutdown CB compared to Vaughn and I believe Butler was 4th string on our depth chart but had to start that game. Vaughn got abused that night while Butler had 3 turnovers. 2 picks & I think he recovered or forced that fumble on the sidelines

I say we just bring in every CB that goes undrafted. They all have to be better than Vaughn. Just do whatever it takes to get Vaughn released from this team!!!!

It seems there is always a small college guy that ends up doing well in the NFL at CB

I would probably still use a later pick on a CB

I believe we have a good trio of CBs, but can always use another

It's down to semantics I guess. Starting players no do necessarily see the most snaps, we still talk about base formations as starters but of course there are many different looks we go with. I would say that the fact that he is the third in a depth chart at his position would mean he isn't a starter, even is he sees a lot of snaps.

Well against the Texans, yeah 3rd won't be a starter. But the packers, 3rd would be a starter for that game

It seems there is always a small college guy that ends up doing well in the NFL at CB

I would probably still use a later pick on a CB

I believe we have a good trio of CBs, but can always use another

Cause you can't have too many CB's in this league now

I wouldn't mind him if he played well but let up a few plays. Not asking him to be a shutdown CB. But when the opposing QB comes to the line literally looking for who Vaughn is covering so he can throw it to him, that's a problem. Like in the JAX game on TNF, Butler looked like a shutdown CB compared to Vaughn and I believe Butler was 4th string on our depth chart but had to start that game. Vaughn got abused that night while Butler had 3 turnovers. 2 picks & I think he recovered or forced that fumble on the sidelines

When Butler and Vaughn are your starting CB's(because of injuries), the opposing QB is going to choose one to pick on, and that was Vaughn. He had no business being a #1 or #2 CB, but we were forced into it for some games and it made Vaughn look much worse.

When Butler and Vaughn are your starting CB's(because of injuries), the opposing QB is going to choose one to pick on, and that was Vaughn. He had no business being a #1 or #2 CB, but we were forced into it for some games and it made Vaughn look much worse.

But they just dinked & dunked us. Butler caught on (Grabbing the pick 6). But then Vaughn tried to play copy cat, bit, & gave up a big gain to Cecil Shorts on a stop & go

But they just dinked & dunked us. Butler caught on (Grabbing the pick 6). But then Vaughn tried to play copy cat, bit, & gave up a big gain to Cecil Shorts on a stop & go

Well there's no doubt that Butler is better. If I'm not mistaken he was considered 1st rd. talent when he came out of college but has just underperformed. Vaughn should never be anything more than a 4th or 5th CB on the roster.

Well there's no doubt that Butler is better. If I'm not mistaken he was considered 1st rd. talent when he came out of college but has just underperformed. Vaughn should never be anything more than a 4th or 5th CB on the roster.

And that's why I want to make sure he stays there or even hits the Practice Squad. Cause if I remember correctly, Gordy (don't know if he's still here) made a few nice plays in that JAX game too. I would like to see more of him hopefully this pre-season

Not just first round talent, a first round pick. I think Butler is made for the nickel, more like a hybrid FS/CB type that always wants to make plays on the balls.

And that's why I want to make sure he stays there or even hits the Practice Squad. Cause if I remember correctly, Gordy (don't know if he's still here) made a few nice plays in that JAX game too. I would like to see more of him hopefully this pre-season

Vaughn would not be eligible for the practice squad.

to be fair to tknight... Almost nothing good happened with Vaughn on the field with the exception of maybe one game other than that qbs had pre game warm up on his side of the field

I can't see a WR coming in starting. I'm thinking we're going Reggie & DHB outside with TY in the slot. I could easily be wrong, but that makes sense to me. Have the 2 taller WR's outside and put your burner in the slot where he has more field to make moves & all.

That's just my opinion though

With Walden getting starter pay I doubt a OLBr would start day 1 maybe beat Walden out later in the year.Same as a CB.I think if we go G in 3rd probably will beat out McGlynn even though they like him for some mean streak reason.

On the surface this seems good and hope you are right.

My fear is that the true starters at RG may be all gone by the lateness of our 3rd pick

This is why a trade out for round one is becoming more and more appealing to me..... Unless of Cousteau something odd happens and both cooper and Warmack fall

On the surface this seems good and hope you are right.

My fear is that the true starters at RG may be all gone by the lateness of our 3rd pick

As aggressive as we've been lately in the "Trading" department, I'm kinda expecting a trade from us this year in the draft

to be fair to tknight... Almost nothing good happened with Vaughn on the field with the exception of maybe one game other than that qbs had pre game warm up on his side of the field

I guess I'm just looking at it from the standpoint that Vaughn was thrust into a role he should have never been playing to begin with last yr., but had too because we couldn't afford anybody better and injuries. If you just look at it now like we have a much better cast of CB's and Vaughn will only play during certain packages,(unless of course, were struck with the injury bug once again) then he should be more comfortable in his role and not nearly as much will be or should be expected from him.

Tough task seeing how Walden makes "starter" money. It'll be Shipley vs Satele all over again, just on the defensive side

I agree. He'd have to totally blow away the competition to start when we're paying Walden that salary.

I'll stand by my opinion that G would be the only day 1 rookie starter.