Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

So What Has Been Your Worst Draft Day Call?

I thought maybe we could use a change of pace.....for those of us willing to laugh at ourselves a little anyway....and keep this often-contentious pre-draft stuff in perspective.

So.....

Over your career as a draftnik, what has been your worst projection for the Colts of a reasonably well rated NFL Draft prospect?

My shining example of a "can't miss" prospect who missed worse than Dick Cheney on a hunting trip was DT Jarron Gilbert in 2009.

When you tube videos surfaced showing Gilbert jumping out of a swimming pool and squatting 650 lbs., after what was actually a pretty good senior season....and then blowing up the combine.....I knew we finally had our answer at DT. Our pick came and went with Donald Brown being the selection.

Gilbert proceeded to sink to the 3rd round when the Bears finally took a stab at him....and he's stunk like a rotten mackerel in the NFL ever since with stints on the Jets and now the Buffalo Bills.

His career stats since 2009?

2 tackles....period.

This Bills depth chart tells it all. He's not a 1st string or 2nd string or even a 3rd string DT on the mighty Bills defense....he's listed as "other". :lol:

http://www.buffalobills.com/team/depth-chart-list.html

My worst prediction has to be Jamarcus Russell. I thought the Raiders should definitely go for a QB because that is the position that turns franchises around. And well, next pick was Calvin Johnson.

Geez....that amplifies Russell's bust status even more along with Revis, Willis, Joe Thomas and a couple other Pro Bowlers they passed on.

That whole 2007 QB class ranged from awful to medicore/backup ...Russell, Quinn, Kolb, Stanton, Edwards....etc.

That was our Gonzo and Tony Ugoh draft....with pretty much our entire slate of players bearing almost no fruit. Probabaly Polian's worst draft.

I was in the group in Houston that thought the texans would choose Vince Young and the Texans took Mario Williams. Well 80% of Houston was wrong and texans GM was right. Mario Williams turned out to be a beast and well Vince Young was good to start and flamed out quick(hope he can make a good comeback though)

Geez....that amplifies Russell's bust status even more along with Revis, Willis, Joe Thomas and a couple other Pro Bowlers they passed on.

That whole 2007 QB class ranged from awful to medicore/backup ...Russell, Quinn, Kolb, Stanton, Edwards....etc.

That was our Gonzo and Tony Ugoh draft....with pretty much our entire slate of players bearing almost no fruit. Probabaly Polian's worst draft.

2008 wasn't particularly stellar either...

I was in the group in Houston that thought the texans would choose Vince Young and the Texans took Mario Williams. Well 80% of Houston was wrong and texans GM was right. Mario Williams turned out to be a beast and well Vince Young was good to start and flamed out quick(hope he can make a good comeback though)

That reminds me of another guy I thought who would be a sure thing as a pro....Matt Leinart, who was drafted in that same class as Young.

Two very successful college QBs from major programs....and for the most part they flopped in the NFL.

I was wrong about Julio Jones.  I thought he was gonna be a bust and AJ Green was going to outshine him.  They're both doing pretty good :P

I was right about Bob Sanders when no one was high on him with my group of friends.  But I guess I was kind of wrong since he's been injured most of his career :(