Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Did Te'O decline NFL draft attendance because of stress?

Te'O mentioned he doesn't do well under stress in reference to his Combine performance. He also didn't do well in his final college game's BCS title loss. I wonder if him declining attendance to the NFL Draft is another stress related issue. I think he knows there's a chance he wont be picked in the 1st round, so he doesn't want to risk being the black sheep in the room when other/all rookies in attendance are picked before him. Maybe he's also afraid he will get boo'ed on-stage.

I know it's scary, but he should attend. This guy is a MLB and was touted as a leader, but his many question marks put those qualities into doubt. He should stand up for himself. I know several late 1st round picks stay home, but Te'O is a special exception where he needs to take the bull by the horns and confront his haters on stage.

Te'O mentioned he doesn't do well under stress in reference to his Combine performance. He also didn't do well in his final college game's BCS title loss. I wonder if him declining attendance to the NFL Draft is another stress related issue. I think he knows there's a chance he wont be picked in the 1st round, so he doesn't want to risk being the black sheep in the room when other/all rookies in attendance are picked before him. Maybe he's also afraid he will get boo'ed on-stage.

I know it's scary, but he should attend. This guy is a MLB and was touted as a leader, but his many question marks put those qualities into doubt. He should stand up for himself. I know several late 1st round picks stay home, but Te'O is a special exception where he needs to take the bull by the horns and confront his haters on stage.

Not a good thing to admit to, especially when Teo's about to enter the NFL. Stress is a natural byproduct of professional football. Boo's & profanity are common in the NFL too particularly in the locker room. How sheltered is Manti anyway? He needs to toughen up or cowboy up ASAP or he will get steamrolled in this league. 

He'd be better off to go in the 2nd or 3rd round for less money, lower expectations, & a better veteran team that can mold him & take him under their wing like the Ravens, Steelers, or Bengals. 

If he can't handle the spotlight now, he's doomed IMO.

I don't think it's fair to say he can't deal with stress without putting into context how overblown the entire fiasco was in the first place by the entire country. I wouldn't hold it against the kid if he didn't want to make the NFL draft a spectacle about himself, which would inevitably happen since he's still the most noteworthy player in the draft. 

There's good natured joking (and hey, I made my fair share of them before it got more played out than Dave Chappelle's Rick James bit), but the dude was thrown into a pressure cooker once this story broke. I'm surprised he's held up as well as he has. 

Not sure what started this whole Teo does not do well under stress thing, funny how some take something says and run with it

Well that's what doing terrible in the biggest game in your life and admitting that you did poorly at the combine "because of stress" will do to 'ya. It may not be true, but he's opened himself up to it.

Well that's what doing terrible in the biggest game in your life and admitting that you did poorly at the combine "because of stress" will do to 'ya. It may not be true, but he's opened himself up to it.

So just because he opened himself up for it everyone should join in in tearing this guy up (herd of sheep mentality) over one perceived bad game (which he still had 10 tackles, Im quite sure thats not terrible, yes he missed some tackles). I honestly dont care that strongly about it one way or the other BUT alot of people are going to be eating crow when this guy steps on the field

Okay, perhaps Manti is a naturally instinctive LB & just because he is shy doesn't mean that he can't become a solid football player. I just think he needs a proven veteran to mold him. Not a knock on him, just a person to show him the proper professionalism toward film study, practice, game day ropes that's all.

I'm just still a little unsettled about the girlfriend hoax & what a pretty gold digger woman might do to this kid if she gets him wound around her finger like a dog's chew toy. Sometimes, gorgeous women don't always have your best interests at heart & they can leave you high & dry if a person isn't careful.

He would need less guidance on professionalism then most anyone.

The guy needs to get his name OUT of so much public discussion considering so much of it is non-football.

Would there be anything positive coming from his being there? Not really. 
But there could be TWO hours or more of GM`s are afraid of him.

An Intelligent move to stay away!

"Doesn't do well with stress".... well, I hope if the game is on the line, Vick Ballard runs right at Te'o to score the game winner. I don't think I would want to hear that my MLB doesn't like pressure. I definitely would lose some confidence in his abilities.

This dude has totally hidden from the whole comical ordeal since it blew up.

He has his U's AD come out and make a statement for him instead of jumping on it from the get go.    He is the farthest thing from a leader i could ever think of.  

After ND's AD goes to bat for him and says "Manti will make a statement in a few days" ...  How does Manti reward his AD's actions?       Manti goes into hiding.       And when he does pop up it's a scripted radio interview with Jeeeremy Schaap.   Oh, and then a Katie Couric interview?... ...        Sigh... :thinking:

...   He is a clown, he is hiding something big or he is just a very immature individual.   

the combine....   he doesn't do well....   and blames it on "stress" .  ???   Really Manti?  

Dude has been sheltered for a long time.    Once drafted do you get the Manti that can play good football?   Or do you get the frady cay Manti that doesn't want to deal with HIS issues?      BE A MAN .......  stand up to your actions and laugh at them.    That is the FASTEST way to end it...   But Manti wants it to just go away.

IT Wont...    And from the observations we see up to now...    He is a mentally soft individual.    Not ready for the prime time.

I'm passing on this dude into the 4th round. ....       and I am stone cold serious.    A team like Indy just doesn't bring a side show into the fold.     

JMO

No. I saw him talking about it a couple weeks ago already. He's a family guy, he's gonna spend that day and excitement with his family. That said, the unpredictability of where he will ultimately get drafted probably played into it a little too.

If I were a draft choice, I would not attend unless I was a sure fire first rounder. Probably only 10-12 guys who truly fall into that category. Maybe 15

When did they start inviting 2nd round picks to attend the draft? Or was he buying a ticket?

Definitely an ignorant question, at least where used to attack a guy. McCluster attended the draft 2 years ago already and he had almost zero chance of going in the first round.

This is a smart move on Teo's part. As of now, he has a reputation for being a complete media circus magnet. Look at what happened at the combine... He probably got more media coverage than anyone, and really for non-football related issues.

As a GM, that's baggage that I don't want when I'm building my team. No... the more he can stay out of the media spotlight, the better.

And for the record, I'm not a Teo fan. I just don't think he's that good of a football player. But I recognize a shrewd political move when I see it, and its really got nothing to do with being a "leader" or "the man", or even "hiding from stress". It really has to do with showing a potential employer that you can be a good "employee" and not be a complete headache for them.

Definitely an ignorant question, at least where used to attack a guy. McCluster attended the draft 2 years ago already and he had almost zero chance of going in the first round.

It was a joke. I am actually a big Notre Dame fan and Teo supporter. Lighten up a little.

I'm holding my stance on Teo. I don't think anyone will be eating crow when Teo steps on the field.

You can talk about guys like Brandon Spikes and Laurinatis all you want, but I don't think Teo is

athletic as either one of those two. I think Teo has major trouble getting off blocks, and I think

on the professional level he will struggle against the pass.

When did they start inviting 2nd round picks to attend the draft? Or was he buying a ticket?

Perhaps he and the other LB's could see how many people they need for a group discount, because this just isn't the year for first round LB's. If there's more than 2-3 drafted in round 1, it'll be a surprise. I've heard Jamie Collins is a fast riser and could well go in the first, Arthur Brown makes sense for Chicago, and there's still a decent chance Te'o goes at the end of round 1 looking at the teams picking there. But none of them are sure-fire first rounders by any stretch. 

I'm holding my stance on Teo. I don't think anyone will be eating crow when Teo steps on the field.

You can talk about guys like Brandon Spikes and Laurinatis all you want, but I don't think Teo is

athletic as either one of those two. I think Teo has major trouble getting off blocks, and I think

on the professional level he will struggle against the pass.

Im with you on this.  I dont think Teo will do much in the NFL.  He was statistically average and just believe he was hyped by playing for ND.  He might be a great leader but if you cant make the plays leadership gets wasted.  I dont want to say the Bama game sealed it but once he faced good lineman it was over.

BBS is right....

Manti Teo needs LESS attention..not MORE...

He has no reason to attend the NFL draft.....and be the focus of wall-to-wall coverage on ESPN and the NFL Net. 

He' probably going to be drafted by a high profile teams (although Minnesota has 2 picks)  

Baltimore....Denver.... Chicago ..the NYGs.......he played 4 years....he's a first round pick...

He'll go to a winning team and he'll do well....

4 quarters dont erase four years

BBS is right....

Manti Teo needs LESS attention..not MORE...

He has no reason to attend the NFL draft.....and be the focus of wall-to-wall coverage on ESPN and the NFL Net. 

He' probably going to be drafted by a high profile teams (although Minnesota has 2 picks)  

Baltimore....Denver.... Chicago ..the NYGs.......he played 4 years....he's a first round pick...

He'll go to a winning team and he'll do well....

4 quarters dont erase four years

This is the team I hope takes him in the first round.....for no other reason than Draft Day entertainment value.

Only the Jets at #9 would top it for laughs.

I think he knows he is going to be a late first rounder at best, and he doesn't want his" story", and a camera in his face everytime a team with a possible MLB need takes a pick, or passes him over. I think he will go 27-32 overall, or fall into the early part of round 2.  Either way that is a long time to sit with everyone watching you. Fake girlfriend or not.