Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

DHB to visit Colts

ell_chrisso

So when do you forum wizards think this deal would get done if it does at all?

I'd say we don't want him to leave town to visit elsewhere. (The Lions and Jets are interested, and I believe Adam Schefter hinted he had visits scheduled with them later this week on SC at one point today.)

• Replies 309
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree with many on here that DHB has not nearly lived up to expectations thus far... and that he has not really had very good opportunities to grow, either...

I think that he is a good fit for our offense, though... While he does have problems with his hands, he will provide a good decoy and deep threat... he's also good with the ball in his hands, meaning that we can hit him on short routes and he (and Hilton) can make something happen... he has good size for throwing blocks in the run game, but I don't know how willing a blocker he is... I'm not sure what his stat line would look like, but I think his skill set makes the offense better...

Probably not the future #1 we all want, but a good fit nonetheless... so long as we don't break the bank to sign him...

True, he may have just been a victim of big Al drafting him way to high this giving the kid very high expectations. Kind of like polian and Hughes. Hughes is good and was looking real good in the new scheme last year. Not his fault that they reached for him and picked him way to high. While Hughes didn't get a change of scenery. He has benefited from a coaching and scheme overhaul.

He's not a rock solid player, for sure. He got rocked last year (?) and was out with a concussion. Nasty hit, too. And he's not a complete receiver. But he was released by the Raiders really for two reasons: 1) It saves them $5.3m against the cap in 2013, and 2) as a symbolic gesture that they are moving on from the old regime.

He was a bad draft pick, but he's not a bad player. And on a reasonable contract and with a good quarterback, he could be a really decent weapon.

I think this is the most important things people understand. He was set to make about 7.5 mill this year. He was not producing at a Greg Jennings/Percy Harvin type level...no where close. They were up against the cap and this was absolutely necessary. Heck they are about to cut Carson Palmer because of his salary too. The Raiders are in disaray. Guy was drafted WAAAY before he was predicted. Like a round or two. I remember them commenting about how crazy it was and this was an Al Davis thing. If he would have been a second or third rd guy people would be saying what a bargain he would be.

I can see a 2-3 mill a year contract for a couple years. Very young and a lot of possibilities with his speed and athleticism. I look to see one of those Grigson contracts that structure it for us to cut him with little cap hit if he doesn't work out or keep him to a decent contract if he plays well. Look this isn't going to be our #1 receiver. He probably won't even start but likely our #3 receiver. Adding a guy like this takes pressure off us for the draft. He is very professional and won't be a locker room cancer. I see no reason he can't at the very worst get us 40-50 catches and 800 yds....or who knows could end up being a big play threat down the field. Not every signing has to be a home run....it just has to make the team better. No doubt he would be better than Brazill or someone from the practice squad. If anything it sends a message to those guys to step up. To me this is a smart signing. Huge potential/upside....little downside..if he plays poorly we let him walk. I look at either a one year 3 million contract or like 3 yrs 10-12 million guaranteed only on his production or remaining on the team. Kinda like Grigs has been doing. Keep these guys hungry.

This would really allow us flexibility. If somehow a great wr falls to us..fine we still can take them. Never have too many good WRs. They take a lot of hits and it isn't uncommon for someone to miss some time. But mainly this could allow us to look at LB, CB and OG/C in the draft. All positions we need to groom replacements for. I would really like to see what this guy can do in a stable environment with quality coaches and qb to throw to him...and also an offense where he won't be the primary target...and the center of attention for the defense.

This is how my Raider fan friend describes DHB: "Good character, hard working, fast, poor hands. I like him a lot. He just ain't worth the 10 million a year we were paying him. He has plenty of potential. He just has inconsistent hands."

I'm glad to hear about his character, but all I can manage to picture in my mind is the dropped Pierre Garcon SB pass. Garcon had a lot of attributes to make up for his sub-par hands...I'm not sure DHB has that.

I'm glad to hear about his character, but all I can manage to picture in my mind is the dropped Pierre Garcon SB pass. Garcon had a lot of attributes to make up for his sub-par hands...I'm not sure DHB has that.

From what I've read he does. He's bigger, faster and really good after the catch. He can outrun, or run over db's

DHB is a perfect buy low for Grigson - he replaces Avery, and is in fact an upgrade - younger, faster, taller, more upside.  He would not be burdened with unrealistic expectations as a starter, but would be a great #3 Wr to stretch the field, contributing the occasional big play and opening things up for Wayne,who is no burner anymore, if he ever was.  Add to the fact that Wayne can teach DHB a thing or ten about how to be a pro, and that wunderkund Andrew Luck will be throwing him the ball ... we have a perfect landing spot for the former #7 overall pick!

This may not be a "wopper", but would be a solid double cheeseburger patty signing. :)

Get 'er done Grigs!  This would be the icing on the cake on a great off-season for the blue horseshoes!  Go Colts Go!   

It's a done deal if he is in the facilty, Grigson doesn't play, and I'm pretty sure DHB prefers us over the Jets any day of the week

Especially if pagano talks to him. That dude could have me walking barefoot in a blizzard he's so good with his motivation speaking! ;)

Jim's had to dig deep to save face.  Maybe someday we'll find out who the "wopper" was that got away.

Agree, because DHB is not a wopper more like a minnow. He definitely isn't a Cruz or a Fitz like we had been hearing, oh well.

DHB 2009 9 catches targeted 40    2010 26 receptions targeted 65  2011 64 receptions targeted 115 2012 41 rec 80 targeted career 140 receptions 300 targeted for a total of 2071 yards

Does "targeted" mean catchable passes?, or all passes thrown his direction, including overthrown, underthrown, and well defended?....no way does he(or any other receiver in the NFL) "DROP"  over 50% of catchable balls.

Darrius Heyward-Bey was ranked 3 of 307 WRs in the 2009 draft by NFL Draft Scout.

He was projected to go in the 1st round...his expected high was 7th to 14th overall...his expected low was early 2nd round.

His hands have always been suspect.

Maybe he can work on his catching technique in the mini camps and training camp and make some improvements.

Does "targeted" mean catchable passes?, or all passes thrown his direction, including overthrown, underthrown, and well defended?....no way does he(or any other receiver in the NFL) "DROP"  over 50% of catchable balls.

You're correct - it means the last part of your post, and is therefore a meaningless stat.  A great example would be Luck's moonballs 8 feet over his receiver's head as his pocket collapses half a second after the snap.  Not the receiver's fault (nor always Luck's).

I still like Danario Alexander. He was signed by the chargers midway through the season and was fantastic for them. Sure there is always the risk of injury but he is a big play player. To cite some stats, he topped the league in expected points added per play and yards per target and second behind only Vincent Jackson in yards per reception.

At the pace he was playing, with 16 games he would have broke 1k receiving yards and scored 11 TDs. That is phenomenal for someone signed midway through the season, he wasn't there for training camp and just came into a new teams system and performed like that. Oh, he will be 25 next season.

Either way, whichever wide receiver we sign, they will improve the team in some way.

I think a lot of people are forgetting that Reggie had a pretty bad case of the drops early in his career, when he was around the same age as DHB (24-25 years old) before he fixed it.  If he's willing to put in the work, and listen to a guy like Reggie when it comes to proper technique, then there's no reason to think that he can't be coached up into a very good receiver for us.